Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Had fitting today - but confused about what to do. Help!

• 2 weeks later...

The highest end fitter in my town (Sydney Australia) is just down the road from me. They often have 1/2 price fittings so I've taken advantage and been fitted four times over the past three years. As recently as two weeks ago in fact.

Some observations.

Each time I have been there has been a different recommendation (except for once when the fitter said he couldn't improve on what I had).

They don't even have stock shafts to try. Their business model (like CC) is that they buy the clubs with shaft, pull the shafts and insert the custom shafts.

You are paying for the stock shaft, and the custom ones.

I've kept the results. The numbers from the Callaway GBB and Oban combo they recommended three years ago are almost identical to the Cobra F9 Accra combo they recommended the other week.

As are those of the Cobra LTD in between.

Admittedly I'm an easy fit since I hit up on the ball and have a high angle of attack and low spin.

The only time things were different was when I was hitting everything very low and spinny and they kept giving my higher lofts and higher launch shafts until I worked out the ball wasn't teed up high enough.

Iron fittings have been equally inconsistent. Different heads. Shafts ranging from heavy S400 to light Recoils.

And similar prices to what they suggesting for you.

My last iron fitting they suggested PXG 0311XFs at $4K or so. I liked to look and feel and bough a set used from eBay for $450.

I have a fairly consistent swing (I'm off 8 and can't putt or chip) and have been told different things at each fitting.

To scientifically fit someone currently in the 30s is (IMHO) irresponsible.

TXG, for example, are the gold standard for fitting. But if you follow their YouTube channel you will see that the main guy (who has a very good, very repeatable swing) has been fitted into multiple heads, shafts, putters and wedges.

As mentioned by others, if you liked the TS2 buy a used one. The stock shaft is probably fine. The head will more of a difference in launch, spin and aim.

If you like to fiddle, get a used shaft that matches the Fuji.

I always by used. You don't know for sure until you try things on course, and usually you can sell for close to what you've paid.

They do not even the stock shafts in stock

• 2 weeks later...

I had a great experience at Club Champion, but I came in with a budget and wanted to get fit for one or two irons I was interested in. My fitter started out that he was NOT selling me clubs but helping me find what would work best and that was what I had been scheduled for. He allowed me to hit all the iron heads I selected and lined up numerous shafts, modified loft and lies for me. I was interested in the PXG’s and the manufacturer was running an online deal. I live in Ohio and it is snowing so a PXG fit was not possible.
Loved the PXG’s, Srixon’s and Taylormade 790’s. Got my specs and ultimately ordered direct through Club Champion. The fitting and specs were worth the investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think your time and money for the fitting was well worth it, but as others have said you can take that information and get clubs for 25% of the quoted price.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

I’ll keep it short and sweet. Don’t feel pressured. The internet is a beautiful thing you can get anything on there straight from the manufacturer. Have not looked at these clubs but could definitely work straight through Srixon.

i had a great experience through true spec golf for a full bag fitting would highly recommend if you wanted to do it again (not sure what you have into that fitting or not). Fitting overall will definitely be worth it long term if you plan on playing long term again.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

• 3 weeks later...

If you’re curious about getting fit just dig into how MGS does their Most Wanted testing and why they do it the way they do. They’ll be the first to tell you that hitting 10 or so shots is meaningless and that you have to hit hundreds to even begin to get an idea of how some club will actually perform for an individual yet that’s how so many of these fitters do it. If you have pro level ball striking consistency or you’re outside the middle 90% of golfers that’s one thing, but if you’re a garden variety 14 handicap I wouldn’t be surprised if it took multiple days in the bay to get an honest idea of how one shaft or head truly differs performance wise from another. And that’s assuming the launch monitor is calibrated right, which in my experience it usually isn’t, and you’re hitting off grass if testing irons, which again in many cases you’re not. I know that’s borderline heresy these days but I’d argue that you’ll be better off just playing whatever club you like that feels best for you and screw whatever Trackman says. Being confident behind the ball and genuinely liking the clubs you play will serve most people far better than some exotic shaft or clunky head that the monitor says will give you 3 extra yards, personal anecdotes not withstanding.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that is an absurd amount of money for a full bag of clubs! As a fitter, I am sure that there are any number of stock (or minimal upcharge) shafts that would work well for you. Have you thought about a fitting that is not tied to a retailer, like a Titleist Thursday? The fitting is free, they send you the specs and you can buy them anywhere you like. 

:titelist-small: TSi2 9.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3 15 / 18.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3H 20° (set for 22)

:titelist-small: CNCPT 5i-48°

:vokey-small: SM8 52° / 58°

:cameron-small: Fastback 1.0 Circle T

On 3/9/2020 at 10:55 PM, PuffyC said:

If you’re curious about getting fit just dig into how MGS does their Most Wanted testing and why they do it the way they do. They’ll be the first to tell you that hitting 10 or so shots is meaningless and that you have to hit hundreds to even begin to get an idea of how some club will actually perform for an individual yet that’s how so many of these fitters do it. If you have pro level ball striking consistency or you’re outside the middle 90% of golfers that’s one thing, but if you’re a garden variety 14 handicap I wouldn’t be surprised if it took multiple days in the bay to get an honest idea of how one shaft or head truly differs performance wise from another. And that’s assuming the launch monitor is calibrated right, which in my experience it usually isn’t, and you’re hitting off grass if testing irons, which again in many cases you’re not. I know that’s borderline heresy these days but I’d argue that you’ll be better off just playing whatever club you like that feels best for you and screw whatever Trackman says. Being confident behind the ball and genuinely liking the clubs you play will serve most people far better than some exotic shaft or clunky head that the monitor says will give you 3 extra yards, personal anecdotes not withstanding.

Any good fitter won’t have a person hit more than 3-5 shots because the golfer will start to adjust their swing to fit the club. Between communicating to the fitter and the fitter using ball flight and or numbers they can adjust head type, shaft, hosel setting to start making adjustments to dial in launch conditions that optimize ball flight.

Someone that knows their swing and has an idea about shaft weights, profile could probably pick a setup of irons and make it work for them but there’s a lot of golfers who but off the rack that have no idea a stiff in one shaft isn’t the same a stiff in another, not to mention there’s a large number of golfers who think they hit it to high but in reality don’t hit it high enough. 

The grass vs mat on a fitting is debatable. I’ve been fit both ways and have yet to see a fitting off a mat give me different results on the course as well as several guys I play with. A good fitter can account for that. Ian from TXG was able to do that with @Golfspy_CG2 which is on their YouTube page.

To your last comment about 3 extra yards not all fittings about are about distance. Sometimes that’s a goal of a person and a larger more forgiving head that offer less spin might be what they are looking for, where someone else is trying to maintain distance but improve accuracy. Finding a setup that meets the persons goal is what a good fitting achieves. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 3/9/2020 at 10:55 PM, PuffyC said:

If you’re curious about getting fit just dig into how MGS does their Most Wanted testing and why they do it the way they do. They’ll be the first to tell you that hitting 10 or so shots is meaningless and that you have to hit hundreds to even begin to get an idea of how some club will actually perform for an individual yet that’s how so many of these fitters do it.

we only hit each club about 12 times as part of most wanted testing.  The protocol is generally 5 clubs;  hit four shots with a club then move to the next club until we have hit 12 total shots with each club.  This helps ensure that the testers don't get fatigued.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG