jefframm

Had fitting today - but confused about what to do. Help!

To your question, PULLEDABILL, I would have to think the answer is yes based on his behavior. There was another guy getting a fitting in the bay next to me - and at one point he went outside to call his wife to get "clearance" to buy whatever it was the fitter had proposed. While he was outside, my fitter said to the other guy "went to call the wife, huh"? and it sounded EXACTLY like the kind of banter you hear sometimes among car salespeople. 

I had read a number of reviews about both of the individuals that were fitting that day (my fitter and the other guy) and with one exception where a guy was upset about after the sale customer service - they were really strong reviews. Of course there's no way to tell if they were real reviews - but my gut says they were. 

I've decided to give the guy the benefit of the doubt - maybe he's under a lot of pressure or something. I learned a lot - and the discussion here has given my clarity on next steps. I had hit the Srixon's prior to the fitting and really liked them - so I'm going to proceed with those and approach the rest of the bag a step at the time. 

Happy Sunday!

• Like 1

I read the OP but skimmed responses. Any idea if CC fitters get commission on sales?

If they don't, a the very least they're evaluated on the sales they produce.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

If they don't, a the very least they're evaluated on the sales they produce.

It’s my understanding they get a salary plus commission with bonus opportunities. My best fitting irons have been when I go to a shop, hit irons by myself and am left alone with a fitting cart, impact tape and a launch monitor. From there I go by what feels best and I hit the middle of the club face the most with.

• Like 1

I did an iron fitting at CC in Dec and was fit into the Srixon z585 as well. I got KBS Tour 90 shafts along with them. I did some price searching and bought directly from Srixon for $1k+ less than CC. They did the shafts, adjusted loft/lie and put on the right grips too. Much better deal. ($1,200 from Srixon vs $2,350 at CC)

As for the pushy of the fitter, that’s unfortunate. I know they make commission off of purchases. But I was fortunate enough to have a CC fitter that was more concerned with getting me set up in the right equipment vs pushing me to buy. I outright told them it wasn’t happening today and I’d shop around. While he wasn’t happy, he survived and probably got someone else to buy on the spot.

I am current a 17 Handicap and I noticed a MASSIVE difference in ball flight, distance, loft, speed and spin. I attribute most of that to the shafts and of course some of it to the head combo.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I read the OP but skimmed responses. Any idea if CC fitters get commission on sales?

Yes. Not sure what the % is, but they definitely get commission on them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I went to a CC last week to retro fit a driver shaft - I recently got the PXG 0811x with a Tensei CK Pro Blue - after hitting it, I didn't like was launching too high, and spinning too much. 

My fitter told me he had played some mini tours, and seemed to be knowledgeable about the fitting process. (I had been fit twice before that at a local shop, once for irons, and once for an M1 driver). I had done some research beforehand and kinda had some ideas of what I wanted to hit, and I told him, which he obliged and then gave me similar shafts off those specs. 

Towards the end, it came down to 2 shafts - the Speeder evolution iv and the Speeder TR - the evolution I hit in a 3 wood shaft Stiff, and the TR in a normal length driver shaft but XS. The numbers were close, but I hit the Evo IV a bit better, but he put me in the TR and cut the length down to 44.5. He kinda pushed me into the TR when I liked the numbers the Evo was giving me- but it almost seemed like I didn't have an option in the end, and before I knew it he was printing out an order form. 

Looking at a place like ThePeoplesClubs I probably could have said about 100 bucks off the cost of the shaft - and I wish I would have done that - Especially because just to book the fitting it cost me $75. I will say that he waived the fitting fee of $125 or $130 or whatever it is though which was nice. 

My suggestion is, use the information you got and go someplace else to get the clubs- There are plenty of places to buy shafts, and club heads etc. Maybe you could get lucky and find some similar specs that are stock offerings - I know Srixon has quite a few, and PXG does too (although they are expensive from the beginning) 

Getting fit for me is always a fun experience as I can hit golf balls all day long. As for CC - I wouldn't go there for an iron fitting, wedge fitting, or really anything other than what I did, driver shaft only. I think I'll go back to my original fitter, or maybe try out TrueSpec.

I'll jump in and add my thought's and experiences here. First, I'd RUN from that CC store. That's not the way you should have been treated, and honestly, I would contact the corporate arm and let them know how things went for you. While they do want to make money, they also want repeat business and your experience is no way to get it. 

In terms of the clubs, I think you need to go with what you are most comfortable with. As golfers, we always are chasing the newest and best...the longest and straightest....but it certainly also comes down to the fact that we have to be comfortable with all the different aspects of the clubs (feel, look, cost, performance, etc.) And if one of those isn't right, it makes us want to look off to something else to make it better. While the new technology can certainly help improve your game, especially from 20 years ago, there are certainly guys out there playing with clubs from 20 years ago that are still scratch....because they're comfortable with the equipment and because they have a repeatable swing which they know what will happen when they swing. 

In my experience, the club head does make a difference, but the shaft is usually the biggest difference maker...especially in irons...and you obviously will hit these the most during the round. The shaft effects the ball flight, spin, and feel...among other things. I wouldn't skimp on the shafts in your irons. In woods, it certainly makes that difference as well, but often times not to warrant spending $400+ for a single shaft.

It might make sense to buy whichever woods/hybrids with a stock shaft, or at least a shaft that is included in the price which is close to the upcharged shaft he fit you into and see what you think from there. You can usually go grab a used shaft at a MUCH steeper discount than paying full boat, if you decide upgrading the shaft later on will make that big of a difference. Also, a lot of the shafts that are out there are just 'newer iterations' of years past and in reality don't make much of a difference at all. My CC fitter has told me that twice...which is why I'm still playing the Diamana Kai'li in my woods. It's a great shaft and provides everything any newer shaft I've tried has provided for my swing. 

Don't be afraid to look back on older iterations of irons/woods where you may be able to snag a bargain...because in my opinion and experience, they're performing pretty close to the same as the new, MUCH more expensive ones. 

Now....on buying and getting everything put together.....cost effectively....

Thankfully, my full bag fitting at Club Champion was not anywhere near that. My fitter wasn't pushy at all and gave me such a great experience that I went back 4 years later to do it again. 

Both times, I put together the sets by sourcing all of the items myself...some of them were from Golf Forums, some from my local golf shop, and then other places as well. 

But both times I took my build sheet and had a great in South Carolina build my sets for me. He's a well known builder and his work is flawless. I'd recommend him every single day of the year. But the best part.... he's ridiculously affordable! The set build from CC was quoted around $4k and the whole set cost me about $1700 total. Now, I did source pieces differently and if you don't want to do that, Ken can quote you on all of that as well. But he takes your CC sheet and specs the clubs exactly...and he spines them all as well, which there is always a discussion back and forth on whether it's a benefit, but he does it to every single club he puts together. 

If you have questions on any of these, feel free to send me a PM. I hate to see people getting taken advantage of, or at least pushed, and your experience is really unfortunate to hear...because mine, and many others I have talked to, have been so darn good from CC! 

CC is a rip off....end of story.

Go see your local Pro for shaft stiffness I'm guessing "R" if maybe a tip trim modification. (You can do this at PGA super Store if you have one near. Good folks with all types of reasonable priced gear). Put some game improvement heads on there by anyone of the OEM club makers. Couple rescue clubs, nice putter with proper LIE/Loft. That is real easy to do, watch youtube, cost 12.00 for laser and sticky back mirror tape.

I would concentrate on trying different grip sizes, standard, mid and Jumbo with 1,2 or 3 wraps of tape. Us older players have a sweet spot so our hands don't get sore.

You need $7500.00 clubs like I need a bicycle golf cart. $1500.00 should get you clubs, bag, 5 dozen balls, driver, shoes and 2 drinks at the 19th.

I see several players like you each year and, the "cheap stuff" improves their game like the over price clubs.