Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

PXG 0311T vs Ping i500

FrogginBullfish

I've not hit either yet, but they are the top 2 irons I'd be considering when upgrading my irons. I would love to play single piece forged irons but the current state of my game would benefit from the extra ball speed and forgiveness the hollow body design provides. I just don't have the club head speed or consistency of strike to justify a more bladed single piece club at the moment.

Why I'm leaning towards these two irons has mainly to do with what I'm looking for in an iron from an aesthetics perspective and based on the respective reviews of each I've watched on YouTube, they both perform quite well.

I'm curious if anyone has hit these two clubs and can share their findings, with no price bias against PXG. I am solely interested in knowing about the performance, sound and feel, and aesthetics of the two clubs and how they compare to one another from more than just the point of view of YouTube golf pros.

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Distances in my experience are pretty close probably within 2-5 yards. Peak height and land angle were close as well. The i500 has less spin somewhere between 800-1000 rpm.

feel and sound goes to pxg and that’s not even close. I am one who doesn’t mind the sound of the i500 or the feel including on off center hits but the softness of the 0311t is near the top of the list.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

45 minutes ago, jlukes said:

If you're looking for hollow body forged in the player's category than the TaylorMade p790 has to be on your list. It's probably the top iron in that category and the top fitted iron at some of the topics fitting studios in North America 

This is the perfect video for you 

https://youtu.be/yukrlUtu51Q

P790 are definetly another great iron to consider here.  In this category bit makes sense there were at/near the top considering pxg for along time was out of most people’s price range (I would love to see the overall sales numbers between pxg and p790 since the start of the pxg for heroes and the standard 50% discount on gen1). Also p790 has been on the market for nearly a year compared to about 1/2 year for i500.

having played p790 for a good amount of time over the summer and having spent time with i500 the i500 imo present a better look and a slightly better overall performance.  The only aspect where p790 is better imo over i500 is sound and feel which due to the speed foam makes sense that they would sound softer and provider a better feel thru the hands.

with all that said the 0311t won out the battle for me between these 3

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

P790 are definetly another great iron to consider here.  In this category bit makes sense there were at/near the top considering pxg for along time was out of most people’s price range (I would love to see the overall sales numbers between pxg and p790 since the start of the pxg for heroes and the standard 50% discount on gen1). Also p790 has been on the market for nearly a year compared to about 1/2 year for i500.
having played p790 for a good amount of time over the summer and having spent time with i500 the i500 imo present a better look and a slightly better overall performance.  The only aspect where p790 is better imo over i500 is sound and feel which due to the speed foam makes sense that they would sound softer and provider a better feel thru the hands.
with all that said the 0311t won out the battle for me between these 3
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the info.

I wonder if i500s would have benefited from the activated elastomer from the iBlades, i200s, and i210s then, though I suppose Ping is trying to avoid the legal ramifications, unlike TaylorMade, with PXG.

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

7 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the info.

I wonder if i500s would have benefited from the activated elastomer from the iBlades, i200s, and i210s then, though I suppose Ping is trying to avoid the legal ramifications, unlike TaylorMade, with PXG.

Yes Ping chose to avoid any lawsuits. I had a conversation about whether the i500 would be injected with anything in the summer with some reps from Ping that were traveling from Phoenix to do fittings on the east coast.  They said they will not be getting sued. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/15/2019 at 12:15 AM, djahubes said:

Can’t go wrong with any of the aforementioned. I had the PXG and i500, both very nice. The Srixon 585s knocked them both out. Traded the PXG and the i500 are collecting dust in the garage!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Interesting...did you try out the PING i210 vs the 585?

Interesting...did you try out the PING i210 vs the 585?

I have been going through a psychotic phase with irons but have settled into the black AP3s. The 585s were phenomenal but was having difficulty holding the greens. Traded them in for the 919 forged, beautiful irons, and will be keeping them. I didn’t like the i210s.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Archived