TESTERS WANTED! ×

I.T Chrome help.......

perseveringgolfer

I've searched the T'interweb with no luck, so wondered if any fellow spies are IT experts or just know how to fix this irritating issue?

When using Chrome browser and I try to open gmail it takes me to the log in page for my sons school webpage.....

I think he must have clicked something to 'always open this' or something similar but I can't find any way to rectify.

Any help appreciated.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

19 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

How do you try to open gmail? Do you type it or go through Google itself?

I either click a link or google search then click the gmail link all in the chrome browser.

I tried chrome help today and even clicking their link for chrome help opens up the school log in page with my sons username already in the user box! this is driving me nuts lol

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Could be multiple things. There is a hosts file on you computer that could have been changed, could be a virus, or proxy settings.

I would recommend scanning for malware to see if it finds anything. After that you would probably need to walk through some individual scenarios.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Could be multiple things. There is a hosts file on you computer that could have been changed, could be a virus, or proxy settings.

I would recommend scanning for malware to see if it finds anything. After that you would probably need to walk through some individual scenarios.

used adaware and nothing found.

The same happens on his iMac using chrome, it opens his school log in when a gmail link is clicked.

Definitely something he's clicked when on the school log in page to make that page open up on redirected links. Just need to find out how to stop it.

used adaware and nothing found.
The same happens on his iMac using chrome, it opens his school log in when a gmail link is clicked.
Definitely something he's clicked when on the school log in page to make that page open up on redirected links. Just need to find out how to stop it.

I would look for a hosts file and see if the is something in the file that does a redirect to the schools home page.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I would look for a hosts file and see if the is something in the file that does a redirect to the schools home page.

Thanks for the reply. I dont know what a hosts file is or how to look for it. I can use pc's but limited knowledge of the techy side I'm afraid.

This article explains the direction I am going with my advise.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/security/how-remove-browser-redirect-virus-3499499/

When it takes you there is his account automatically signing in? If so, try forgetting that account and signing in with yours.

If all else fails, uninstall the browser and reinstall it. I use GMail as well and have the GMail icon bookmarked below my address bar, and whenever I click it it takes me to my personal email inbox, as I'm already signed in with it. I have a school address that is also associated through GMail, but in order for me to access it, I would have to click the profile icon that shows the list of GMail accounts and then click that account to be taken to it's inbox.

Kinda hard to explain, hope it makes a little sense.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

1 hour ago, TSauer said:

When it takes you there is his account automatically signing in? If so, try forgetting that account and signing in with yours.

If all else fails, uninstall the browser and reinstall it. I use GMail as well and have the GMail icon bookmarked below my address bar, and whenever I click it it takes me to my personal email inbox, as I'm already signed in with it. I have a school address that is also associated through GMail, but in order for me to access it, I would have to click the profile icon that shows the list of GMail accounts and then click that account to be taken to it's inbox.

Kinda hard to explain, hope it makes a little sense.

no, it has his username but password is blank. Weird thing is even chrome help page link also goes to the school web log in!

I'm loathe to uninstall/reinstall chrome as I have so many other sites that I log into automatically (MGS included) and I'd have tto find all the usernames and passwords again.

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

This article explains the direction I am going with my advise.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/security/how-remove-browser-redirect-virus-3499499/

now done all that and still the issue. I doubt its malware as its a school web log in for homework, plus it doesnt explain why chrome help link, and even a link about redirected links ALSO take me to the school log in page.

no, it has his username but password is blank. Weird thing is even chrome help page link also goes to the school web log in!
I'm loathe to uninstall/reinstall chrome as I have so many other sites that I log into automatically (MGS included) and I'd have tto find all the usernames and passwords again.

Fortunately with Chrome it saves all of your account information, passwords, autofill, etc as soon as you sign back into your Google account (as long they’re synced). The bad is thing that that could cause the problem to keep happening.

Do other browsers work correctly?

42 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Do other browsers work correctly?

yes

18 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Have you tried to clear history. It seems that when I clear history all of the passwords and usernames get removed from my searches. 

This would be a last resort as I have so many other sites that I log into automatically (MGS included) and I'd have to find all the usernames and passwords again.

Does it do it in "incognito" mode?

It's most-likely because he has his .edu Google account sync'd across the device. If you sign him out, it should stop.

• Go to chrome://settings/ 
  • Scroll to the bottom and go to advanced
  • Reset to defaults.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Is this chome brower on a PC or a chromebook?

If on a PC you should be able to right click and edit the bookmark and see what web address it's trying to take you to.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

57 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Does it do it in "incognito" mode?

It's most-likely because he has his .edu Google account sync'd across the device. If you sign him out, it should stop.

• Go to chrome://settings/ 
  • Scroll to the bottom and go to advanced
  • Reset to defaults.

he's not signed in to the digital edu account, it only autofills his username- however, I'll try the reset option, thanks.

25 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

Is this chome brower on a PC or a chromebook?

If on a PC you should be able to right click and edit the bookmark and see what web address it's trying to take you to.

Its chrome browser on a windows PC with win 10, plus its the same on the iMac

This is a very useful idea, its not a bookmark as such, so when it takes me to the site I right click the address in the address bar and the option is there to edit search engines but I dont see it on that list.

the edu site address it takes me to is extremely long, has numerous numbers percentage marks, the word 'redirect' and request plus loads of others. I think your on the right track @hckymeyer 

It’s gotta be something with Gmail using that student account as the default user. If you go to google homepage, does it show you are logged into an account in the upper right hand corner? If so, try logging out of that account or removing it from the list of remembered accounts. After removing that account from the list, login to your Gmail and go to your inbox, if it doesn’t automatically redirect you there. Try to then bookmark that page (your inbox) to your bookmarks bar. That should allow you to go directly to your inbox every time that favorite icon is clicked.

35 minutes ago, TSauer said:

It’s gotta be something with Gmail using that student account as the default user. If you go to google homepage, does it show you are logged into an account in the upper right hand corner? If so, try logging out of that account or removing it from the list of remembered accounts. After removing that account from the list, login to your Gmail and go to your inbox, if it doesn’t automatically redirect you there. Try to then bookmark that page (your inbox) to your bookmarks bar. That should allow you to go directly to your inbox every time that favorite icon is clicked.

not logged in. Top right has current user image greyed out, clicking on that shows I can turn on sync, so its currently off.

I went back into the redirected education website and took out all the various symbols and just left the main name ending in .com. It brought up an education website. So its def something to do with that but for the life of me I cant find out how to stop it anywhere in google settings. Thanks for your input. 

You've all been very patient and some good ideas so far.

Archived