TESTERS WANTED! ×

LB’s Swing - Journey to better ball striking

So I've been playing golf consistently for two years.  I've "played" most of my life, but never more than one or two rounds per year.  I've gotten as far as I have without any lessons (trending 6.9, last 20 avg 81.8), but I've hit a wall and shooting a 77 one day and barely breaking 90 the next are getting to me.  Thankfully, the worse days are far fewer, but I want to be able to find more consistency.  From watching my swing, I see early extension and a flip, which I understand is simply a symptom of a flaw somewhere else.  When I watch the video, it looks like my shoulders start a tick before they should, but I'm lost on what to do and how to fix it.  My usual miss is the atypical early extension and cast miss... any assortment of fat, thin, pull, and high slice.

Edited to add face on and DTL videos...

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

First, welcome to the forums!

Second, this is a tough angle from which to diagnose a swing. Most useful video is shot either directly in front of the golfer (face on), or directly behind the golfer (down the line). This angle disguises most of the things that are helpful to analyzing.

Third, I'll try to be first to say: almost all of us are amateurs here. Take all our advice for its going market rate 🙂

Finally: what you're describing and what I can see in the video match up well. There's a great thread happening over here that discusses some related ideas. It's hard to know from a single swing which way to offer advice, because of the way that flaws work together to create a functional swing (which you obviously have).

Where I would start is with wrist angles. At the top of your backswing, your lead wrist is in extension: it is bent back, or cupped. The opposite extreme is someone like Dustin Johnson, whose wrist is in flexion at the top of his backswing. It is useful to aim for a pretty netural, or flat leading wrist, through that part of the swing.

Putting the lead wrist in extension, as you do, opens the face at the top of the swing. In order to hit target, then, you are forced (generally) to stand the club up a bit through delivery, which encourages the early extension in the body.

[I'm describing my swing here too.]

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I'm going be of no help as I'm not an instructor. However, a 5 second vid isn't much time and the camera angle isn't setup appropriately. Two proper views would be; 1. face on (across from the ball) with the camera at about hip level. 2. rear view looking down the line. Again setting the camera about hip level. Slow motion is better.

Oh I forgot... you're asking for advice from a bunch of internet forum members many of who are high handicappers. Few are golf instruction professionals.

Best Wishes!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

3 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

Slow motion is better.

Plaid,

Definitely agree with all you're saying here. Worth observing: you can change the playback speed for YouTube videos, and this is often very helpful for golf purposes. Click the little gear in the lower right corner; it'll give you options to change the quality and the speed. You can also use the <comma> and <period> keys to step through a video a frame at a time, backward and forward.

Full WITB with pictures

If I have a chance to swing, haha no pun intended, by the range on my way home this evening, I will to try and grab better angles.

• Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

Definitely go get a real life, in person lesson. You’ve got a solid foundation and clearly the chops to shoot in the 70’s.

In the meantime to help with early release, take your golf bag or a stationary object and place it at your impact position.

Now, take slow, controlled downswings towards that object so you are reinforcing the move to keep your hands ahead of the club making contact.

Tiger does this often on the range and tee to help him feel the hands staying ahead of the club at impact.

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

14 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Definitely go get a real life...

Honestly: I was startled when I read this first line. Glad to see that your advice was much kinder than I took it initially 🙂

Full WITB with pictures

1 minute ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Honestly: I was startled when I read this first line. Glad to see that your advice was much kinder than I took it initially 🙂

I probably wouldn't have cut it as a headline writer 🤣

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Edited and added face on and DTL videos.  I had a kid at the range record them, didn't realize he did slo mo.

• Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

That kid takes really good video :-). In all seriousness, those are very useful.

Let me ask this: what's your typical shot shape?

Full WITB with pictures

As always the advice of getting a real life instructor is great advice and should be followed. 

That being said from the videos I see your early release and it appears to be caused by your right shoulder/elbow. Shoulder continues to move at top of back swing, to get it back during downswing it moves towards ball or across the line. This IMO causes the early release because it is the only way you can hit the ball straight. Try shorter back swing and concentrate on not having shoulder move across the line. 

A GREAT training aid is an impact ball. It is very difficult to use at first but it is the only thing I have found that syncs everything the way it should be. 

https://theimpactball.com/

Good luck and go find a local pro!

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

26 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

As always the advice of getting a real life instructor is great advice and should be followed. 

That being said from the videos I see your early release and it appears to be caused by your right shoulder/elbow. Shoulder continues to move at top of back swing, to get it back during downswing it moves towards ball or across the line. This IMO causes the early release because it is the only way you can hit the ball straight. Try shorter back swing and concentrate on not having shoulder move across the line. 

A GREAT training aid is an impact ball. It is very difficult to use at first but it is the only thing I have found that syncs everything the way it should be. 

https://theimpactball.com/

Good luck and go find a local pro!

I had noticed the same thing with my elbow. I really need someone there to tell me whoa boy.  I “feel” like I have shortened, but apparently things keep running.  I am already looking for a reputable instructor, I’m willing to drive a few hours if necessary.  Thanks for the idea on the impact ball.

49 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

That kid takes really good video :-). In all seriousness, those are very useful.

Let me ask this: what's your typical shot shape?

Typical shape is a very light cut.  Iron play I’ve managed, but my biggest weakness is the driver.  Some days it’s good, and some days my timing is so far off I’m all over the place.  The swing fault remains no matter the club though.

• Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

9 minutes ago, lungbuster said:

I had noticed the same thing with my elbow. I really need someone there to tell me whoa boy.  I “feel” like I have shortened, but apparently things keep running.  I am already looking for a reputable instructor, I’m willing to drive a few hours if necessary.  Thanks for the idea on the impact ball.

And here is the issue with swing advice based off one video, it could be different reasons why the elbow/shoulder move like that. Could be too long of swing, could be not enough rotation, could be grip, etc. There are just so many factors. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

You clearly have a great foundation. One training aid that will help you with the early release is the Tour Striker. It has helped me stop flipping my wrists and make more consistent strikes. I thought I was a good ball striker... I was humbled by the Tour Striker. Frustrating at first, but effective. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

overall I think you have a good swing.

The most glaring fundamental issue I see is your grip.

As Nick Faldo (and most instructors) says "good golf starts with a good grip"

You have a really strong grip in both the right and left hands. Might be worth starting there before changing other 'problems' that might actually stem from the grip.

Look forward to watching your progress.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Just based on all the different responses that are all over the map in this thread, I hope you take the most common advice which is to go see a reputable pro 😄

You don't need to sign up for $1000 of lessons, some work on building a repeatable swing based on your body and swing tendencies should go a long way. Good luck!!!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

10 hours ago, GB13 said:

You clearly have a great foundation. One training aid that will help you with the early release is the Tour Striker. It has helped me stop flipping my wrists and make more consistent strikes. I thought I was a good ball striker... I was humbled by the Tour Striker. Frustrating at first, but effective. 

I have no idea why I haven't picked that up yet...I hear nothing but how it has helped so many people with that issue....which I have...among several others 🤣

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Update...I've got a lesson scheduled for Friday afternoon.  I'll keep you all posted.  Thanks for coming along on my journey and thanks for the tips so far.  After really studying my videos, I may have found an issue, but I'm no swing coach so we'll see what the instructor says.  I've sent him the videos so we'll be ready to rock on Friday.

@perseveringgolfer my grip will likely be something that's changed I'm sure.  In my self diagnosing past, I've strengthened it to "fix" my slice, not knowing that there were other problems.  

• Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

Just wanted to provide an update...

My coach pointed out a few things for me that seemed to make quick and repeatable results.  Before we really got started, he had me widen my stance to stop the “Elvis knees” and work on keeping my chin up.  Next, we tackled my overswing and the right knee flex in the backswing.  If you watch the videos, you’ll see my right knee flex outside my foot.  Really have to keep that thought in my mind the whole swing.  Those two things will be the hardest to break.  Once we got those better, we started working on my release and follow through.  Overall, was very pleased with the session and he gave me a few drills to work on over the next several weeks.  Prescribed me to 70-80 balls a day for the next 3-4 weeks, or as possible as time allows with a wife and two kids, working solely on these things.

If any of you are in the upstate SC or NC foothills, I’d definitely recommend Bryant Brothers in Shelby, NC to you.  If you’re interested in great, simple, easy to grasp coaching, PM me and I’ll give you his info.  I’ll schedule another lesson late March, early April for a follow up and next steps.

• Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

Great stuff .. good luck on making good progress!! 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Thanks for the update.

I note he didn't mention your grip.........which is why I'm a player and not a coach 😉

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

That’s a solid looking swing brother!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

1 hour ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Thanks for the update.

I note he didn't mention your grip.........which is why I'm a player and not a coach 😉

Yea I was a little surprised myself.  I know it’s only day 2, but man the overswing is hard to break.  Stance width, posture, and right knee flex have been manageable so far, but I literally feel like I’m making half a backswing, yet still get right at or just shy of parallel.  It’s crazy how much I was allowing myself to get stuck, there was never any way I could properly rotate back through the ball.  

I did get out yesterday in nasty conditions, shot a 76.  10/14 fairways, 50% gir, and 30 putts.  Not a bad day, but all of my missed greens were dead on line, just short.  It was cold and wet and I just wasn’t getting my normal distances, but ball flight was sharp.  So much to think about still, need these changes to just become 2nd nature.

• Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

Archived