Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MPR: The Single Digit Project

25 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

FWIW: comparing scoring average (over par) on holes by par, and overall, plus putting stats:

image.png

When I look at your all 2019 compared to mine, we have similar numbers, but for me the par 4's are the most painful, which I chalk-up to my struggles off the tee with Driver/3W. Most of the par 5's I play with any regularity are somewhat short, so recovering from a poor tee shot isn't much of a problem.

If you can take a Sunday off, you should drive down here for the Ohio get-together on 9/1. Just sayin'....

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

14 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

When I look at your all 2019 compared to mine, we have similar numbers, but for me the par 4's are the most painful, which I chalk-up to my struggles off the tee with Driver/3W. Most of the par 5's I play with any regularity are somewhat short, so recovering from a poor tee shot isn't much of a problem.

If you can take a Sunday off, you should drive down here for the Ohio get-together on 9/1. Just sayin'....

There's no way I can take Sunday off. Everyone knows pastors only work one day a week anyway, right?

On par 4/5 scoring: my biggest improvement this year has been with my driver. Here are last year's July/August stats:

2018-driver.jpg

There's nothing good here. I've got a two-way miss going, with some big misses right, and averaging under 200 yards.

And here are my July/August driver stats so far:

2019-driver.jpg

I'm still no bomber, but this is some pretty significant improvement. My "typical" drive is 30 yards more than last year. I hitting more fairways, and my misses have a tendency (left) rather than both sides, which allows me to aim down the right of most holes. I'm still plagued by the occasional pop up, but far less so if I keep my head in the right place (I have to imagine a ball just in front of and above my ball).

Comparing the two charts, the 2018 shots are evenly scattered all over the place. The 2019 has a nice clump on the left side of the fairway (or just in the rough), about 240 out.

More than anything else, this improvement has helped my par 5 scoring.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Quick update: shot an 80 today (43/37). Front was rough. Hitting a bunch of weak, wipey fades, and I couldn't figure out why. On my second shot of hole 8, I turned off all mechanical thoughts, and switched to something that worked well in my winter SkyTrak practice: imagining throwing a medicine ball.

Suddenly, the draw was back and I was hitting the ball solidly.

Best hole of the day: hole 17 is a short downhill par 4. And I unleashed this drive:

image.png

If you've followed this thread at all, you know that I'm not one to crank out the 300-yard drives, so this one was pretty special. Making it better was that I got up and down from behind the green for a birdie.

Put the exclamation point on the round with a 40+ breaking putt for par on 18.

Today's round dropped my handicap to 14.2!

Full WITB with pictures

Quick update: shot an 80 today (43/37). Front was rough. Hitting a bunch of weak, wipey fades, and I couldn't figure out why. On my second shot of hole 8, I turned off all mechanical thoughts, and switched to something that worked well in my winter SkyTrak practice: imagining throwing a medicine ball.
Suddenly, the draw was back and I was hitting the ball solidly.
Best hole of the day: hole 17 is a short downhill par 4. And I unleashed this drive:
image.png.ebc0480eff46a1150c884ab0edddaf55.png
If you've followed this thread at all, you know that I'm not one to crank out the 300-yard drives, so this one was pretty special. Making it better was that I got up and down from behind the green for a birdie.
Put the exclamation point on the round with a 40+ breaking putt for par on 18.
Today's round dropped my handicap to 14.2!

Well done! That's really great - you will be single digits before you know it. (Ok not before you know it because you keep meticulous records but you know what I mean)

Keep up the good work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

A couple more nines since my last check-in. Handicap continuing to tick down: I'm now at 14.1.

[Recent observation: Game Golf does not have multiple tee options for my home course. It only lists the white tees, which measure 5,662. I play the blue tees (the deepest at our short course), which come to 6,030 yards. I'm wondering if having the correct tees in Game Golf wouldn't chip another fraction of a stroke from my handicap.]

I mentioned in my last post that I had drifted too deep into swing mechanics and made a very purposeful move to simplify my thoughts over the ball. For me, that means imagining that I'm holding my 8lb medicine ball at address then throwing it. That imagination forces me to set up with a nice solid base, and then feel the weight load up into my back leg on the backswing. The only slight tweak is that coming through, I'm posting up a bit more on my front leg. This holds off my tendency to early extend, which (for me) steepens my downswing and brings hard pulls into play.

All this has come together to some very nice ballstriking and my best driving rounds ever. Last night in league, I was averaging over 250 with my drives. My one bad drive went 228. Considering where I started this project (averaging under 200 yards on my drives, this is enormous progress).

Here's my July vs. August numbers:

image.png

Putting has been shaky the last couple of rounds, especially on short putts. Time to get back to some PuttOUT drills.

The best improvement has been in my short game. It has come in fits and starts: I've had a few really good short game rounds, with some reversions back to terrible mixed in. But I'm certainly trending the right direction there, and feel more confident with my approach to the short game than I have in a couple years.

More July (grey) vs. August (blue) stats:

image.png

Hitting more greens, slightly worse putting, getting up and down more often, driving the ball further. This is a recipe for better scores.

A few more rounds like I've been having, and I'll have shaved two strokes from where I began the season.

Full WITB with pictures

Something else I'm pleased with in my game: my gapping is making a lot of sense, for the most part. Here are my club numbers for the past 15 rounds:

• Driver: 244
  • 3W: 188
  • Hybrid: 179
  • 4i: 223
  • 5i: 181
  • 6i: 183
  • 7i: 171
  • 8i: 152
  • 9i: 133
  • PW: 120
  • GW: 106
  • SW: 86
  • LW: 62

I'm loving that driver number, and then everything from 6i–LW makes a ton of sense. The obvious issue is that jumble from 3W–5i. Some of the issue is sample size. I rarely ever hit my 4i on anything other than specific tee shots, for instance. That inflates that number. Our course layout (which I've posted about elsewhere) doesn't leave a ton of long second shots. That means that several uses of my hybrid, for instance, are trouble recoveries.

Full WITB with pictures

21 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Something else I'm pleased with in my game: my gapping is making a lot of sense, for the most part. Here are my club numbers for the past 15 rounds:

• Driver: 244
  • 3W: 188
  • Hybrid: 179
  • 4i: 223
  • 5i: 181
  • 6i: 183
  • 7i: 171
  • 8i: 152
  • 9i: 133
  • PW: 120
  • GW: 106
  • SW: 86
  • LW: 62

I'm loving that driver number, and then everything from 6i–LW makes a ton of sense. The obvious issue is that jumble from 3W–5i. Some of the issue is sample size. I rarely ever hit my 4i on anything other than specific tee shots, for instance. That inflates that number. Our course layout (which I've posted about elsewhere) doesn't leave a ton of long second shots. That means that several uses of my hybrid, for instance, are trouble recoveries.

Inching closer MPR...nice job!  This is exactly what took me from a 12-13 to currently a 7.7.  Finding and being confident in the 3W - 5 iron.  That is where the Launchers excel in regards to hitting them consistent distances all the time.  Only hitting the 4 iron off the tee on occasion probably means you should be using that 4 iron.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

47 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Inching closer MPR...nice job!  This is exactly what took me from a 12-13 to currently a 7.7.  Finding and being confident in the 3W - 5 iron.  That is where the Launchers excel in regards to hitting them consistent distances all the time.  Only hitting the 4 iron off the tee on occasion probably means you should be using that 4 iron.

I'm going to assume you intended your last line to read "shouldn't be using that 4 iron." If I'm correct, let me offer my defense 🙂

The G700 4-iron is a 20° club, which is (obviously) a bit strong. My hybrid is also a 20° club. For me, they end up having different purposes. Off the tee, the G700 is a pretty reliable 220 yard, get-the-ball-in-play club. In fact, I could make a case statistically that on any hole in which I'm not hitting driver off the tee, I should just go 4-iron, because my 3w and hybrid off the tee each leave open a decent chance of a giant left pull.

I rarely use the 4 iron for other shots for two reasons: the first is that I almost never have a shot that calls for it. Pulling up my GG stats: it looks like I've used it for 3 non-tee shots in my last fifteen rounds. The second is that, when I have a shot in the 195–210 range not on the tee, I'm going to go with the 20° hybrid. For those shots, the hybrid is the better option, especially from the rough, where the giant face of the G700 struggles mightily.

Given that I don't have gapping issues at the lower end of my bag, having two clubs at the top end (my 4i and hybrid) that are for the same distance, but with different roles, doesn't bother me.

But I still need to do more practice with both of them to shore up that section of my gapping.

Full WITB with pictures

Had some good time this morning getting in a SkyTrak range session. Made a slight tweak to the non-swing-thought swing thought that's been working so well for me. Instead of imagining throwing a medicine ball, I switched to imagining throwing the club. I know that's not an original idea, but it was working really well for feeling the weight of the club through the shaft as a loaded up.

SkyTrak was loving the results. Here's an 8-iron shot that landed within 10 feet of a 150-yard pin:

Perfect tiny draw.

I loaded that swing into my swing analyzer app (VirtualPro for Android). Here's a comparison of impact positions today vs last July, when I first got the G700s for reviewing here:

pixlr_20190824124853485.jpg

To do this comparison really well, I'd have to guarantee that the camera is in precisely the same spot, and I can't do that. It does look pretty close.

From my eye, the differences are subtle but (I think) meaningful. In last year's shot, I've early extended even more than I am this year. You can see that my lower back is more upright, and I'm saving the shot by hunching my shoulders down to get the club back to the ball.

By not extending quite so dramatically, I have a bit more room for my arms to drop in front of me without being so close to my body.

think (it's hard to tell from the picture) that at impact my weight today is less on the outside of my front foot: in other words, I'm doing a slightly better job posting on my front leg rather than swaying forward into impact (which demands catching up with a flip at the bottom). A face on shot would be better here.

Full WITB with pictures

• 2 weeks later...

Time for my end-of-the-month update! Played a couple rounds on the final day of the month, and the day ended with my handicap at 13.8, which is exactly two full strokes lower than where I began this project. It obviously doesn't look terribly likely that I'll be hitting single figures this season, but I'm continuing to see steady progress.

Let's start with my August 2019 vs. August 2018 numbers:

image.png

Solid incremental improvement in most areas. Obviously, the short game stands out as a continued sore spot. But I continue to be happy with the progress I'm seeing there (that number was 6.3 in July 2019), and I had a nice chip in for a birdie yesterday that happened after my phone battery died (so Game Golf doesn't know about it).

Some more August 2019 vs. August 2018 stats:

image.png

Lots of good stuff here: more GIRs, fewer putts per hole, I scrambled for par on a greater percentage of holes when I didn't hit the green, and I averaged 33 yards(!) more per drive. That's a great combination of stats. (Reminder: we have very, very few bunkers at our course, so the sand number is mostly noise.)

I had a couple of really good driving rounds in August, lost the feel the last couple of rounds (back to hitting smother hooks), but tweaked it again last round (just opened the face a bit at address) and finished the last hole (again, without Game Golf) with a slightly downhill 290-yard drive.

We have at least one month full month of golf here. Best case scenario is that we can play into November. So I'm hoping to be able to shave off another stroke or so before the snow starts falling here.

Full WITB with pictures

Just out of curiosity, what's your practice and playing schedule/frequency like?

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

12 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

@GolfSpy MPR If you had to start fresh with shot tracking technology (GG currently) would you still go with GG? With Arccos and ShotScope out there for less, would those tempt you at all?

I can't speak for @GolfSpy MPR, but I'm also a GG user (or at least I have been in the past and still own one). If I were to pick any of the three listed NOW, I'd go Arccos every time. I owned it briefly and experienced a few issues, but with their new Link device coming out, I'd try it again in a heartbeat. They have excellent customer service and support, and the Founder/CEO is pretty adamant about continuous improvement.

There's several threads available about GG, Arccos, and Shot Scope so I'd highly recommend using the forum search tool and reading through those.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

@TR1PTIK appreciate the input! Arccos said they've had to postpone the Link till 2020. Pretty disappointing.

I've read a ton, and it seems that each has some sort of trade off, so at this point I am relying on biased personal opinions, Ha!

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

On 9/1/2019 at 6:38 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Time for my end-of-the-month update! Played a couple rounds on the final day of the month, and the day ended with my handicap at 13.8, which is exactly two full strokes lower than where I began this project. It obviously doesn't look terribly likely that I'll be hitting single figures this season, but I'm continuing to see steady progress.

Great work MPR! 

Moving your number (especially down) by more than 5 strokes is a really big change. Especially when you are trying to go from 15 to single digit. It takes a lot of consistently good play to make that change. More so than what it took to get from 20 to 15.

Keep at it and stay encouraged. What you've been doing has gotten you moving the direction you want to go.

I do hope you're resisting the temptation to post only your good scores to see the number move like you want. Trust me, I've been down that road, and it can wind up hurting more than helping when it comes to competition.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

34 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

@TR1PTIK appreciate the input! Arccos said they've had to postpone the Link till 2020. Pretty disappointing.

I've read a ton, and it seems that each has some sort of trade off, so at this point I am relying on biased personal opinions, Ha!

Sure thing lol. One of the forum members shared that the Link was postponed because they wanted to add a hole location "button" to the device after receiving numerous feedback from users. It's that kind of commitment to product quality and usability that puts Arccos at the top of my list. 

I used to love Game Golf because it was such a dead simple system to use and was always reliable, but they did some updates at some point the stripped all that reliability away. The last couple of times I've attempted to post a score (after taking the time to edit and verify each hole), it loses all of the data during upload. It will literally delete every shot except for the first 1 or 2 holes. To compound the issue, Game Golf seems to have stopped caring about what their users think or what they want from their product. I think there were only a small segment of GG users who wanted "hands-free" tagging. Most got used to it and even liked it as it helped many golfers (myself included) develop a solid pre-shot routine. You can read through the GG forums for feature requests and see all of the things that they have and haven't done and some of it is just mind-boggling. I still run across the occasional user who says they have zero issues with GG, but I think I'm done with them. I just haven't taken the time to remove the tags from my clubs (they're glued in).

On 9/1/2019 at 3:38 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Let's start with my August 2019 vs. August 2018 numbers:

image.png

Solid incremental improvement in most areas. Obviously, the short game stands out as a continued sore spot. But I continue to be happy with the progress I'm seeing there (that number was 6.3 in July 2019), and I had a nice chip in for a birdie yesterday that happened after my phone battery died (so Game Golf doesn't know about it).

Some more August 2019 vs. August 2018 stats:

image.png

Lots of good stuff here: more GIRs, fewer putts per hole, I scrambled for par on a greater percentage of holes when I didn't hit the green, and I averaged 33 yards(!) more per drive. That's a great combination of stats. (Reminder: we have very, very few bunkers at our course, so the sand number is mostly noise.)

I had a couple of really good driving rounds in August, lost the feel the last couple of rounds (back to hitting smother hooks), but tweaked it again last round (just opened the face a bit at address) and finished the last hole (again, without Game Golf) with a slightly downhill 290-yard drive.

We have at least one month full month of golf here. Best case scenario is that we can play into November. So I'm hoping to be able to shave off another stroke or so before the snow starts falling here.

Impact position looks great. Can definitely see why you are 30 yards longer year over year. In following along and looking at your stats the one that sticks out to me is GIR. My guess is that would have to go up 10 points to have a chance for single digits. There are times that you will be capable of shooting good scores without hitting many greens however to shoot good scores consistently it will require GIR's. There are a couple of different ways to accomplish this, however I think you are on the right track by using strike plan and improving impact. 

It has been fun following along. Sucks that the season is ending. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

5 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

Sure thing lol. One of the forum members shared that the Link was postponed because they wanted to add a hole location "button" to the device after receiving numerous feedback from users. It's that kind of commitment to product quality and usability that puts Arccos at the top of my list. 

I used to love Game Golf because it was such a dead simple system to use and was always reliable, but they did some updates at some point the stripped all that reliability away. The last couple of times I've attempted to post a score (after taking the time to edit and verify each hole), it loses all of the data during upload. It will literally delete every shot except for the first 1 or 2 holes. To compound the issue, Game Golf seems to have stopped caring about what their users think or what they want from their product. I think there were only a small segment of GG users who wanted "hands-free" tagging. Most got used to it and even liked it as it helped many golfers (myself included) develop a solid pre-shot routine. You can read through the GG forums for feature requests and see all of the things that they have and haven't done and some of it is just mind-boggling. I still run across the occasional user who says they have zero issues with GG, but I think I'm done with them. I just haven't taken the time to remove the tags from my clubs (they're glued in).

I hate to clog up MPR's thread, but since @KurtActual asked, I agree wholeheartedly with this as another GG user. I actual like the tagging setup in GAME Golf Live. I rarely forget to tag and more often tag twice which is easy to spot and correct post-round online. I've had one round completely disappear on me when trying to upload, and one other round on a course with 27 holes where it didn't track half of my round correctly. Otherwise, it's been solid for me.

A tagging setup with a button for hole location would be perfect, in my opinion. Once Arccos Link is released, I will almost certainly be moving to that system. 

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Wow, spent the day driving, and now I have a chain of posts to answer!

21 hours ago, ncwoz said:

Just out of curiosity, what's your practice and playing schedule/frequency like?

Looking back through my GG records, I play about 2 rounds a week, the majority of which are nine holes. Typically, I've played my league round on Thursday night and then another with Kirke. Practice isn't a set schedule. I typically end up putting on my downstairs green at least a few times a week. I put one of my coffee makers downstairs, so that gives me one excuse to get in a little practice.

With SkyTrak, I'm probably getting in serious work with that once every two weeks.

12 hours ago, KurtActual said:

@GolfSpy MPR If you had to start fresh with shot tracking technology (GG currently) would you still go with GG? With Arccos and ShotScope out there for less, would those tempt you at all?

Great question. Here's my current assessment of GG. First, the pros:

• I love that I can use the GG Live without any phone. I get easily distracted by tech stuff during the round. I want to fiddle with everything to make it perfect. Using the GG Live as an OG GG allows me to tag all the shots and then mess with the data later.
  • I like the control of manual shot tagging. I've read good things about the other systems, but never having to wonder if the device thought that was a practice swing, etc., is good for my psyche.
  • I have a boatload of data in GG now; at least four season's worth of rounds. Losing those historical comps to switch to a new system is a cost.
  • There's a ton in the GG data analysis that is great, starting with strokes gained.

Cons:

• No inside information here, but I wonder about GG's long term existence. The debacle of the most recent hardware can't be good news there.
  • There are giant gaping holes in the data analysis that bug me. The chief of these is having zero options for analyzing my history at a specific hole. I can't find out, for instance, what my average score is when I take driver/3w/3h/4i off the tee on Hole 4 of my local course. That's inexcusable in my book.

I've certainly added the ShotScope to my cart on a few occasions and entered the MGS discount code. But I haven't pulled the trigger. The batteries in the sensors, need for the phone, and subscription model of Arccos have deterred me from looking too much that way.

12 hours ago, GregB135 said:

I do hope you're resisting the temptation to post only your good scores to see the number move like you want. Trust me, I've been down that road, and it can wind up hurting more than helping when it comes to competition.

Without a doubt. I'm very fastidious about inputting scores. In fact, I have a [gulp] 12-over 48 from today that I need to enter shortly.

9 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

In following along and looking at your stats the one that sticks out to me is GIR. My guess is that would have to go up 10 points to have a chance for single digits.

Yep, without question. This has come up as a theme several times in this thread. I do think that my GIRs suffer a little bit because the course I play virtually all my golf on has tiny, tiny greens. I've run some of the numbers on my approach game dispersion, and with average size greens, that number would be higher. Still, it is a number that I focus on for improvement.

Full WITB with pictures

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for advice.

I've mentioned previously in this thread that Game Golf only had one set of tees for my course: the whites. There are actually four sets of tees here; I play the blues, which though they are the furthest back, are still only about 6,000 yards.

Even so, the white tees are 200-300 yards shorter than the blues. The fact that Game Golf was calculating my handicap from the whites was hurting my handicap to a small degree. So I contacted them and asked them to add the blue tees, including a picture of the scorecard.

Here's the problem: our card doesn't have a listed rating and slope, so it looks like Game Golf just went with default settings there.

Par at our course is 71, and because it is so short, I'm sure the actual rating would be something just sub-70. I played one round this week and shot a terrible score (+12 for nine holes; 8 over on two holes with multiple tee balls out of play, 4 over for the other seven holes). But when I put in Game Golf on the new blue tee setting, my handicap still decreased.

So I've got a dilemma. I could just keep putting in my scores with the white tees, even though I'm playing the blues. This has the advantage of consistency, while having the downside of slightly inflating my handicap.

The other option is to use the blue tee setting, which will artificially lower my handicap.

Or I could do a third thing: alternate recording my rounds between white and blue (even though I only play the blues). This would likely give the most accurate results.

The last thing I could do would be to contact Game Golf and ask them to adjust rating/slope for the blues, but since I don't know those numbers, I wouldn't think they'd just put in an arbitrary guess from me.

Full WITB with pictures

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Looking for advice.

I've mentioned previously in this thread that Game Golf only had one set of tees for my course: the whites. There are actually four sets of tees here; I play the blues, which though they are the furthest back, are still only about 6,000 yards.

Even so, the white tees are 200-300 yards shorter than the blues. The fact that Game Golf was calculating my handicap from the whites was hurting my handicap to a small degree. So I contacted them and asked them to add the blue tees, including a picture of the scorecard.

Here's the problem: our card doesn't have a listed rating and slope, so it looks like Game Golf just went with default settings there.

Par at our course is 71, and because it is so short, I'm sure the actual rating would be something just sub-70. I played one round this week and shot a terrible score (+12 for nine holes; 8 over on two holes with multiple tee balls out of play, 4 over for the other seven holes). But when I put in Game Golf on the new blue tee setting, my handicap still decreased.

So I've got a dilemma. I could just keep putting in my scores with the white tees, even though I'm playing the blues. This has the advantage of consistency, while having the downside of slightly inflating my handicap.

The other option is to use the blue tee setting, which will artificially lower my handicap.

Or I could do a third thing: alternate recording my rounds between white and blue (even though I only play the blues). This would likely give the most accurate results.

The last thing I could do would be to contact Game Golf and ask them to adjust rating/slope for the blues, but since I don't know those numbers, I wouldn't think they'd just put in an arbitrary guess from me.

What is slope/rating from whites? 

What is slope/rating GG is using for blues?

First thing I would do is contact course and have them reach out to the local golf association and have them come out and re rate the course. It will be a longer process but will fix it once done. 

Just a guess but at about 300 yards the rating will be a stroke higher and slope maybe 2 or 3 higher from blues. I would give those numbers to GG and use those until it can actually be rated. 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

our card doesn't have a listed rating and slope

But is the course USGA rated? I've seen a course somewhere before that didn't have the information printed on the cards. The Pro should know.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Here are the options:

image.png

I'm not sure where they got the information for the white tees, but you can see that the rating difference here between the blues and the whites is enormous.

Full WITB with pictures

@GolfSpy MPR, I have a spreadsheet for you that will allow you to get a more accurate handle on your handicap. It will require you to plug in some data, but I've spent a ridiculous amount of time building this out using the USGA's formulas. I will caution though, it's not perfect. I noticed last season (when I was still using an official handicap) that some of the course rating and slope numbers utilized by GHIN did not match the USGA National Course Rating Database. I don't know the reason for the discrepancies, but the few I found were small and shouldn't throw your index off by much. 

PM me with your personal email if you'd like me to send a copy and some instructions.

30 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Here are the options:

image.png

I'm not sure where they got the information for the white tees, but you can see that the rating difference here between the blues and the whites is enormous.

Yeah that doesn't seem right based on information you have provided. 

Found this on the USGA's website:

image.png

It still doesn't make complete sense. I'm guessing that "middle" would be the white tees and the "forward" would be the red tees (if the "Gender" column means anything).

Here's the card at our course:

image.png

Full WITB with pictures

Interesting that if you do searches you can find different ratings;  I am guess that the tee boxes have changed and been added over time.  The clubs website talks about the longest teees and a rating of  67/113 so my guess is that is the number you are looking for. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Interesting that if you do searches you can find different ratings;  I am guess that the tee boxes have changed and been added over time.  The clubs website talks about the longest teees and a rating of  67/113 so my guess is that is the number you are looking for. 

Ah, good catch! I submitted a request to Game Golf to get that adjusted. If they get it done, I'll likely go back over my last twenty rounds and change the tees, to get a better estimate of my actual handicap.

This is pretty exciting for me: knowing that Game Golf has been calculating my handicap off a 64 course rating when it should have been 67 means that I'm slightly better than I thought I was 🙂

Full WITB with pictures