TESTERS WANTED! ×

MPR: The Single Digit Project

12 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Just put this together:

love before and afters. Nice work!

Shows that if you put in the work, you can make changes. Some people are just too stubborn to believe that. While I'd have loved to have proper mechanics from a young age, it is possible to teach an old dog new tricks, as they say...

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

With the before and after video, I thought I'd nerd drive into some freeze frames for the sake of comparison. First, it's worth noting some differences that make this not quite a one-for-for comparison: 1) in the before video, I'm using a 7 iron, I think, while in the after it's a GW, 2) the camera angles aren't precisely the same, and 3) obviously, I'm using the PlaneMate in the after.

The Takeaway

SmartSelect_20210204-123007_VirtualPro.jpg

You can see already a pretty drastic difference here. In the before swing, I'm sweeping my hands low and inside, immediately pulling the clubhead inside (marked with the red X). On my current swing, I want the clubhead outside my hands at this point. My feel is as though I'm using the a training aid to keep my arms together (either a band or a Smart Ball), so that the initial move of my backswing is chiefly a rotation of my shoulders, with very little hand or arm activity.

Lead Arm Parallel, Back and Down

SmartSelect_20210204-123126_VirtualPro.jpg

SmartSelect_20210204-123211_VirtualPro.jpg

The obvious thing to note here is the shaft pitch on the backswing and the beginning of the downswing. On the before swing, the shaft is very shallow up and then steep coming down. While neither is as extreme on the after swing, it is clearly steeper going up and shallower on the way down. Another more subtle difference: it used to be that as I reached the top of my backswing, my entire body would be moving toward the ball. Here, note the vertical lines on my head and my rear. In the before swing, my head is moving out over the ball, forcing me to stand up the shaft simply because there is no room for it to come in on a shallow angle. In the after swing, I'm doing a much better job staying centered.

Impact

SmartSelect_20210204-123343_VirtualPro.jpg

Here, two things to note. The first is that on the before swing, my trail elbow is well outside my trail hip. The second, and somewhat related, is that I have zero room between my hands and body on the before swing. There's a slight Furyk-y quality to the before swing, but without any of the good results that would justify keeping that move. In the after swing, I'm turning much more in the sequence that I want.

Follow Through

SmartSelect_20210204-123409_VirtualPro.jpg

The connectedness of the after swing is what stands out to me here. In the before picture, my arms have outraced my chest. I've already completed stood up out of the swing. In the after, I've turned the initial posture into a matching side bend, my arms are in front of my chest, and I'm releasing the club.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Among other things, three things I love with the 'after' pics...

1 - the hip position in the impact zone hasn't moved toward the ball  -  No Rocky Horror pelvic thrust going on here!  👌

2 - the spine angle you maintain through impact -  No standing up and losing power or the ball flight path  👏

3 - the fancy high ceiling hitting bay you have access to!!!  🤣  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

12 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

Among other things, three things I love with the 'after' pics...

1 - the hip position in the impact zone hasn't moved toward the ball  -  No Rocky Horror pelvic thrust going on here!  👌

2 - the spine angle you maintain through impact -  No standing up and losing power or the ball flight path  👏

3 - the fancy high ceiling hitting bay you have access to!!!  🤣  

The first two have take a ton of work. So much of it has been figuring out, over time, that those faults can't be "fixed" without also changing other things. The idea of "matchups" in the golf swing is so important: so many faults are actually necessary compensations for other moves in the swing. If the "fault" were eliminated while the other move were left alone, the swing would be entirely non-functional.

To figure out all the stuff that needed to change, I had to watch a lot of slow motion of my son's swing 🙂

And having the church building almost entirely to myself during the week is a nice perk.

Full WITB with pictures

Well, hello SuperSpeed number that I've never seen before!

139.jpg

This was my very last swing of today's session, using the lightest stick.

Main thought today during SuperSpeed was to increase the stretch from the "ball" position to my hands at the very top of my swing, to pull my hands up as high as possible. Got the idea from this tweet from Mike Carroll at Fit for Golf:

Full WITB with pictures

One additional SuperSpeed observation: I went back to my spreadsheet today from when I first started doing the speed drills with my DIY sticks; that was the very end of October of 2018. I've certainly not been anything like consistent with it over the past 2.5 years. Indeed, my most recent burst began about six weeks ago.

But I was pleased to see a major before and after story here. Here are my numbers from the very first time I did a SuperSpeed protocol:

image.png

And here are my numbers from Monday's session this week:

image.png

Short version: I've picked up around 20mph with each stick. I now swing the red stick as fast as I initially swung the green stick.

My speeds now are certainly the fastest that I've ever had. Absolutely looking forward to seeing what happens with it on the course this year.

Full WITB with pictures

7 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

One additional SuperSpeed observation: I went back to my spreadsheet today from when I first started doing the speed drills with my DIY sticks; that was the very end of October of 2018. I've certainly not been anything like consistent with it over the past 2.5 years. Indeed, my most recent burst began about six weeks ago.

But I was pleased to see a major before and after story here. Here are my numbers from the very first time I did a SuperSpeed protocol:

image.png

And here are my numbers from Monday's session this week:

image.png

Short version: I've picked up around 20mph with each stick. I now swing the red stick as fast as I initially swung the green stick.

My speeds now are certainly the fastest that I've ever had. Absolutely looking forward to seeing what happens with it on the course this year.

That's some great progress right there!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got some optimism that I might be on the course here in less than two months. Our snowfall has been much less than normal so far this winter:

image.png

Obviously, that means that once temperatures begin to warm up, there’s less time needed for the snow to melt and for the course to begin to dry. April golf is a real possibility this season, though I don’t want to jinx it, so I’ll stop talking about that now.

It’s time to start talking about wrapping up my off-season and my goals for 2021. As this will be long, I’m going to do this in three parts: my off-season report first, plans for the next few weeks, and then an examination of my Arccos stats with specific plans for each area of my game.

Let’s start out with the great baseball spring training cliché: “Reporting to camp this year, he’s in the best shape of his life.” While that’s probably not exactly true for me (it was probably the year+ I delivered for FedEx), I’m certainly in the best shape I’ve been in in almost a decade.

In another thread, I documented my early experience with the Amazon Halo fitness band. I got my Halo in November, and it immediate began prodding me to get more active. I started chasing the activity points, slowly at first: walking around the church building while reading, for instance. By December, I had begun a routine that including the weight machine we have at home and my stationary bike. I also bought a pull-up station. In January, I swapped my Halo for a Fitbit Charge 3; I especially wanted the O2 sensor for the potential to get a heads up on COVID.

These fitness trackers have really sparked a healthy change in my life. My workout schedule now looks like this:

• Sun: rest (sorta, because I normally take close to 20,000 steps on days when I preach multiple times)
  • MWF: 20 minutes on the bike (typically 5–6 miles), circuit of weightlifting and body weight exercises
  • Tue: 45 minutes on the bike (typically 10–12 miles)
  • Thu: rest
  • Sat: 60 minutes on the bike (typically 14–16 miles)

I didn’t start off immensely overweight: at 5’10”, I weighed 170lbs in November. As of now, I’ve likely dropped 5–8lbs. More importantly, though, Halo’s body scan feature (which I continue to use) tells me my body fat percentage has dropped from 25.7% at my first measurement in mid-November to 20.3% as of last Wednesday. My resting heart rate was over 80 when I first got the Halo; it’s now down in the low 60s and has touched 59 a day or two.

The increased strength continues to show up in my golf speed work. I do SuperSpeed training with my DIY sticks on MWF afternoons. I restarted SS in January; so far, although I’m now in my ninth week, I’m still sticking with the basic protocol. Knee swings are a challenge (they take up even more room than I have in the church building).

But I’m making huge progress. Here’s the numbers from my first day returning to SS in January compared to yesterday (D.A.=Daily Average, the average speed of all the swings that day):

SSJan-Mar.jpg

Now, I take these with a grain of salt. The Swing Radar unit is pretty widely acknowledged to read faster than Trackman. And I’m also not expecting to go with my full speed technique on the course. But if my heavy SS stick is now in the 115–120mph range, and we generously discount 5mph for the radar and another 5+mph for scaling back, I still expect to be comfortably over 100mph. When I did a driver fitting last spring, I was sitting in the 96–97mph range, so this should be a meaningful improvement. I’ll have a lot more to say about my driver in the next couple installments.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I’ll spend 15–20 minutes working with a whole battery of training aids. I’ve got a doodad that straps to my arm to help with tempo. I have another band holding the tops of my arms together. I have a doohicky that attaches to my trail hip to keep my arms in front of me. I’ve got my PlaneMate. I’ve got FlatBalls. I will use any of these, and sometimes 3 or 4 of them at once.

While some might consider me nuts (they’re probably not wrong), I think these aids have actually helped me establish a much better swing. And while some of that is cosmetic, I don’t think it is merely cosmetic. The fact that my entire body no longer lurches toward the ball in transition can’t help but give me at least a fighting chance at more consistent contact.

Making swing changes without hitting balls at all can be useful, I think, for ingraining new patterns without the worry of hitting the ball well. But there’s a degree of uncertainty: what’s going to happen when I do have to hit a ball again? As the weather warms up, Kirke and I are spending more time in the garage on SkyTrak. So far, I’ve been highly encouraged by my early results. The biggest plus has been in my contact, and credit for that has to go to the Divot Board. I now can tell right away, even on my garage mat, if my strike is off. And my strike is on much more than it ever was before. From a combination of faster swing speeds and better contact, my spin rates on SkyTrak are much more where they should be. It’s fun watching wedge shots rip back, even on a simulator.

So that’s my offseason report. I’m in a good place conditioning-wise. My swing is faster and better with much better control of my impact. My next post will detail my plans for the next 4–8 weeks (depending on the weather) for making the transition from swing training to getting ready for opening day.

Full WITB with pictures

Good for you, all around!! That's really really impressive to not only drop that weight, but keep/gain muscle in the midst of losing weight overall. Excited to see how your season goes, and here's to a hopefully toasty and dry-ish spring!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

11 hours ago, ncwoz said:

Good for you, all around!! That's really really impressive to not only drop that weight, but keep/gain muscle in the midst of losing weight overall. Excited to see how your season goes, and here's to a hopefully toasty and dry-ish spring!

Thanks! I've gotten to the place at which I really enjoy getting my workout in each morning. As a guy who will be 42 in a few months, with a daughter who isn't yet a year old, I'm working out for two reasons: to be alive and active for all my kids (and my wife for that matter, as she is younger than I am), and to out-drive Kirke for as long as possible 🙂

Full WITB with pictures

18 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Making swing changes without hitting balls at all can be useful, I think, for ingraining new patterns without the worry of hitting the ball well. But there’s a degree of uncertainty: what’s going to happen when I do have to hit a ball again?

I quite agree that "dry" swings, or without a ball, can be VERY useful.  I can't recall the instructor whose blog I was reading, but he spoke to the idea of that little white ball too often becomes the object and the "hit" mentality takes over, to the detriment of ingraining the swing moves you're trying to incorporate.  GolfTEC is big on this approach too; of all the lessons I've taken I'd say 90% of the drills I've been prescribed have been without a ball.

Congrats on an overall successful offseason...I know you don't have on-course results yet, but I'm willing to bet they'll be very positive, and you're healthier overall as it is which is a reward in and of itself.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Off-season, Part 2: transition to play

My last post covered my off-season work to this point, which mostly has been fitness and full swing revisions. Here (hopefully more briefly), I'll tick off the goals I have for the next several weeks as I try to transition my work to get ready for opening day.

Driver

This is the big one and the most uncertain. In my next post (or if you look back at my end-of-season wrap up from last fall), you'll see that my driving is unambiguously the worst part of my game and that which is holding me back most from my single digit goal. There are quirks here: my Arccos driving data is always going to be skewed by my home course, which is short and has multiple dogleg holes in which driver isn't an option.

[The extreme version is the second hole, which is a 270 yard par 4 that has a 90° dogleg at 130 yards. Arccos really hates me taking PW off the tee on this hole.]

Laying that aside: even if I look at my stats on holes where I am using driver, it's a tremendous weakness. Arccos lists my top 3 things to work on: one is strokes lost from being short off the tee, and one is strokes lost from penalties off the tee. Obviously, I'm hoping the increased speed helps with the former.

My hope is that I'll have the chance to dial in my driver before the season starts. I've mentioned before that my garage ceiling doesn't allow me to swing any more than a hybrid. My dad's garage ceiling is much higher. If I can convince him to set up his hitting net, I want to spend an afternoon there with my driver, four shaft options (including the Rogue White currently in my driver), and various weight settings, trying to dial in the best performance for me.

shafts.jpg

Approach

The obvious goal here is to nail down my bag gapping before the season starts. Again, planning to spend some quality time on the SkyTrak to do this in the weeks ahead. One of my on-course goals (in the next installment) is going to be to get my GIRs up, and knowing my yardages and trusting those is going to be critical for that.

Short game

Last year, I committed to a wedge clock system for the first time, and it was by far my best short game season ever. So I'll be doing that again this year. Because I've made changes to me, my swing, and my wedges, though, I'm obviously going to need to re do that wedge matrix on SkyTrak. Kicking around adding even more more mark on the clock, depending on how it comes out. I'll also be doing the same thing I did last year: printing a chart of my wedge matrix and taping it to my range finder.

Full WITB with pictures

A little side project on the fitness side of things: some time ago, I bought an ab wheel. I started out using it from my knees, but one of my arbitrary goals for the year is to get to the point at which I can go full extension on the ab wheel from my feet. I'm getting quite close:

Just a tiny bit further to go here, and then it'll be time to dedicate myself to my second arbitrary fitness goal: one handed pushups.

Full WITB with pictures

11 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

A little side project on the fitness side of things: some time ago, I bought an ab wheel. I started out using it from my knees, but one of my arbitrary goals for the year is to get to the point at which I can go full extension on the ab wheel from my feet. I'm getting quite close:

Great work. Those ab wheels are a killer. Obviously you know by now I make everything I can. I took an old broken pull cart, took the wheel, put a solid aluminum shaft through it and put Jumbo golf grips on each side. My home made ab wheel is a little taller but it works just fine. But my goodness that is just a tough exercise. But you have inspired me, now I have to go dust it off and put it back in use.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Just a tiny bit further to go here, and then it'll be time to dedicate myself to my second arbitrary fitness goal: one handed pushups.

But can you do the gravity challenge? 🤣

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

13 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

But can you do the gravity challenge? 🤣

I had to look that up. And, it turns out, no. 🙂

Full WITB with pictures

Got in some SkyTrak time this evening. Just told it to give me random targets from 100-210 yards. Started off rough, hitting about 25% of the greens. Changed focus to an Adam Young-esque nail drill and picked things up considerably, finishing with 40% of greens hit. Given where I started, that was a pretty decent finish. Tomorrow is going to be in the 50s in the afternoon here, so I'm hoping to grab some more garage practice time before things turn chilly again starting Wednesday.

I'm generally pleased with where my swing is right now. No more major adjustments before the season, just maintenance and feel tweaks:

As per Irish Mike's advice on Twitter (Fit for Golf), I'm adding creatine to my working regimen for the first time starting tomorrow. Giving it three months or so, and I'll be interested if it adds anything to the results of my workouts.

Full WITB with pictures

21 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Changed focus to an Adam Young-esque nail drill and picked things up considerably, finishing with 40% of greens hit.

I've probably heard of this drill, but it really didn't sink into my consciousness until I heard the guys talking about it on Chasing Scratch (which has become an addiction, btw). Now I'm seriously considering purchasing The Strike Plan from Adam Young. 

Still working on strength, fitness, and speed. This week, at the advice of Irish Mike, I started taking creatine for the first time in my life. Not expecting anything crazy, but I'll report back in if there's anything noticeable.

Finished another week of speed training (though I missed Monday this week). Today is week 10 since restarting speed work back in January. Here are my charts so far:

• Light green: lightest stick, first set
  • Blue: middle stick
  • Red: heavy stick
  • Dark green: lightest stick, final set

image.png

Steady progress. I need to spend a garage session hitting balls while only focusing on speed, to work on transferring the speed to my actual play.

Full WITB with pictures

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Still working on strength, fitness, and speed. This week, at the advice of Irish Mike, I started taking creatine for the first time in my life. Not expecting anything crazy, but I'll report back in if there's anything noticeable.

Finished another week of speed training (though I missed Monday this week). Today is week 10 since restarting speed work back in January. Here are my charts so far:

• Light green: lightest stick, first set
  • Blue: middle stick
  • Red: heavy stick
  • Dark green: lightest stick, final set

image.png

Steady progress. I need to spend a garage session hitting balls while only focusing on speed, to work on transferring the speed to my actual play.

Creatine is good stuff. I have never personally felt any significant difference when taking creatine vs. not, but the research is strong on it. I still cycle on and off of it, no harm in it, maybe be making a small difference. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of quick updates.

Last weekend, I went to my parents' house to do a self-driver-fitting. As I've noted before, I wanted to do that because I need 1) a place that allows me to swing my driver, because it doesn't fit in my garage, and 2) not in my neighborhood, because I can't risk the popup drive that misses the net and ends up in a neighbor's yard.

I did my setup outdoors, so that any high misses would end up on top of Lake Gogebic:

Unfortunately, this was a bad, bad setup, and ended up being worthless for any fitting. SkyTrak struggles in the sun and doesn't like to look for the ball against a light background. I put it in the worst environment for it, and the numbers it generated  were completely useless (at least I hope). I struggled to get a drive to carry over 200. Given the work I've done on speed, I found this pretty implausible. In addition, I could barely see my laptop screen in the sun. So while it was fun to swing my driver again (and that's worthwhile in itself), I can't say that I made any progress dialing in the driver. I'll need to go back and do the setup in my dad's garage if I'm going to get useful numbers.

In more positive news: I continue to get stronger and fitter. While I've switched from the Amazon Halo band to a Fitbit, I'm still using the Halo app for its body fat scan. In essence, you take a series of pictures of yourself, and Amazon's AI compares them to its database to estimate your body fat percentage. While some have reported odd results, I've found it to be pretty reliable in my case.

In November, I got the Halo and did my first scan. It had me at 25.7% body fat at 170lbs; that's 44lbs of fat. This morning, I was 18.7% body fat at 160lbs (30lbs of fat). So, that would mean I've lost 14lbs of fat. But because I've only lost 10lbs total so far, it means I've gained 4lbs of lean mass.

I'm obviously no Mr. Universe candidate, but I'm quite a bit stronger than when I started working out a few months back. Looking forward to getting on the course!

Full WITB with pictures

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

A couple of quick updates.

Last weekend, I went to my parents' house to do a self-driver-fitting. As I've noted before, I wanted to do that because I need 1) a place that allows me to swing my driver, because it doesn't fit in my garage, and 2) not in my neighborhood, because I can't risk the popup drive that misses the net and ends up in a neighbor's yard.

I did my setup outdoors, so that any high misses would end up on top of Lake Gogebic:

Unfortunately, this was a bad, bad setup, and ended up being worthless for any fitting. SkyTrak struggles in the sun and doesn't like to look for the ball against a light background. I put it in the worst environment for it, and the numbers it generated  were completely useless (at least I hope). I struggled to get a drive to carry over 200. Given the work I've done on speed, I found this pretty implausible. In addition, I could barely see my laptop screen in the sun. So while it was fun to swing my driver again (and that's worthwhile in itself), I can't say that I made any progress dialing in the driver. I'll need to go back and do the setup in my dad's garage if I'm going to get useful numbers.

In more positive news: I continue to get stronger and fitter. While I've switched from the Amazon Halo band to a Fitbit, I'm still using the Halo app for its body fat scan. In essence, you take a series of pictures of yourself, and Amazon's AI compares them to its database to estimate your body fat percentage. While some have reported odd results, I've found it to be pretty reliable in my case.

In November, I got the Halo and did my first scan. It had me at 25.7% body fat at 170lbs; that's 44lbs of fat. This morning, I was 18.7% body fat at 160lbs (30lbs of fat). So, that would mean I've lost 14lbs of fat. But because I've only lost 10lbs total so far, it means I've gained 4lbs of lean mass.

I'm obviously no Mr. Universe candidate, but I'm quite a bit stronger than when I started working out a few months back. Looking forward to getting on the course!

Really impressive body mass changes!   I'd be curious to know changes to your blood pressure and resting heart rate too.  Mike Carroll put out an article on TPI a while ago that talked about cardiovascular endurance training translating poorly to golf fitness or golf improvement, but I would have to think you're going to feel fresher and less fatigued on 15, 16, 17, and 18 than you might have before.  I think I recall you (and Kirke) are walkers right?

Congrats either way.  Looking forward to following your on-course results.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

19 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Really impressive body mass changes!   I'd be curious to know changes to your blood pressure and resting heart rate too.  Mike Carroll put out an article on TPI a while ago that talked about cardiovascular endurance training translating poorly to golf fitness or golf improvement, but I would have to think you're going to feel fresher and less fatigued on 15, 16, 17, and 18 than you might have before.  I think I recall you (and Kirke) are walkers right?

Congrats either way.  Looking forward to following your on-course results.

Resting heart rate is a huge improvement. Here's November, when I first got my Halo:

SmartSelect_20210324-131101_Amazon Halo.jpg

And here is the last 30 days on my Fitbit:

SmartSelect_20210324-131148_Fitbit.jpg

I should take the opportunity, next time I'm in Walmart, to use the blood pressure machine (unless, I suppose, those have been closed for COVID; I haven't checked).

Full WITB with pictures

2021 Goals

Here's the final post in my preseason trilogy. So far, I've recapped my offseason work and written on the things I want to get done in preparation for opening day. Now, it's time for some statistical benchmarks for my upcoming season.

Let's start with the big picture. Here are my Arccos numbers for my final 25 rounds of last year compared to scratch:

image.png

Let's break it down.

Driving

This has been and remains my biggest liability. Arccos thinks I have both distance and accuracy problems:

image.png

Distance is a problem.

image.png

But as I've written before, this is somewhat misleading. Our course takes driver out of play a lot. The most extreme example is Hole 2, an incredibly short hole with a greater than 90° dogleg:

hole2.jpg

It's a PW to the corner. There are no other choices; the area off the fairway is thick tall forest. Going over is simply not a realistic option. So this hole (and others like it, though this is the most extreme) make it difficult to gain strokes driving.

That said, I can't excuse everything by blaming the course. If I go to club stats, Arccos tells me that my normal shot with a driver is 233 yards. For those following this thread for a while, you'll know that's an improvement. But it's not enough. So then

GOAL 1: Arccos driver distance of 250.

Given the improvements I've made on swing speed and fitness, I think this is a realistic goal.

On accuracy, the killer miss for me is always the left miss off the tee.

image.png

GOAL 2: Get the left miss number under 20%. Aim for 60% fairways hit.

Approach

Approach play was my second biggest weakness this past season. The problem isn't hard to find:

image.png

I miss a lot of greens. I'm always going to miss a lot of greens relative to handicap, because the greens at my home course are both tiny and mostly domed. That's how the course defends itself, given it's short length. But the 52% short number: that has to improve. And I think it needs radical action, so let's cut that in half:

GOAL 3: Get missed greens short under 25%.

GOAL 4: Increase GIRs to 35%.

The second number there is pretty modest, but I would be a marked improvement. In general, if I fight hard against missing short (including having good estimates of my club distances and improving my consistency of strike), GIRs will rise considerably.

Short Game

My goal here is maintenance. Arccos has me losing 1.5 strokes to a scratch golfer from 50 yards and in. So let's say:

GOAL 5: Finish the season with a SG Short of -1.5 or better compared to scratch.

Putting

This one is also maintenance, but with a twist. In general, I consider myself a very solid putter:

image.png

My putts/hole numbers are definitely skewed by my high missed greens. But even breaking it down by distance, I'm not losing much compared to a scratch golfer:

image.png

Two issues: I'm not great at short putts. That must improve.

GOAL 6: Finish the season with SG:Putting from 1-10ft of -.3 or better compared to scratch.

The other issue is that it dawned on me at the end of last year that my putting stats were inflated because I was inaccurately pacing off putts. My procedure is to putt my first putt, then step it off to the hole to measure the distance to record in Arccos. What dawned on my is that while my first stride from back heel to front toe is about a yard, the next step (and every one after) is shortened by the length of my foot. That means that all my putting stats from last season are skewed in my favor. So maintenance would indicate improvement. Thus, 

GOAL 6: Finish the season with an overall SG:Putting no worse than -1.6 compared to scratch.

Full WITB with pictures

• 1 month later...

If you're within range of what Arccos determines is a GIR, and you lay up, does it add to your short of greens stat?  

Is there a way to go back and tell Arccos that you laid up?  I always wondered if that was contributing to some of my high short of green %. 

Otherwise, looks like one more club may improve those stats instantly.  

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 3:30 PM, knightsofnii said:

If you're within range of what Arccos determines is a GIR, and you lay up, does it add to your short of greens stat?  

Is there a way to go back and tell Arccos that you laid up?  I always wondered if that was contributing to some of my high short of green %. 

Otherwise, looks like one more club may improve those stats instantly.  

Hmm. Little late with the reply from me here 🙂

Yeah, I'm certain that this can be a factor, and I don't know exactly where the cutoff is for Arccos to think something is an approach shot. I'd like to think that they take into consideration 1) the distance I'm hitting from and 2) the club that I've pulled. So if I'm 250 out and pull a 7 iron for a layup, Arccos knows good and well that I'm not possibly going for the green there. But I don't know on the inside how those calculations are done.

Quickly pulling up my last five rounds, I'm seeing some improvement in club selection/consistent impact:

image.png

For reference (see above), I was:

• 5% Long
  • 12% Left
  • 25% GIR
  • 7% Right
  • 52% Short

So while my GIRs are actually down over the past five rounds, I'm hitting almost 55% of my shots the right distance, as opposed to 44% at the end of last season.

Full WITB with pictures

• 3 months later...

Update and Announcement

I've done a terrible job keeping this thread updated this season. But here's the reality: there's almost nothing to update. I've been playing regularly; Kirke and I get out a couple of times a week for nine holes. I've sneaked in an occasional 18.

But my progress has almost entirely stalled. As of this morning, Arccos has me as a 13 handicap. At then end of last year, I was down just under 12.

On the plus side, I've definitely gotten longer this season, especially with clubs other than driver. My putting has been really good: statistically, it is down from last season, but as I've written before, I was overestimating my length of putts last year as I paced them off incorrectly. In general, my short game has been a major strength, and that is with an uneven commitment to my clock wedge system (for reasons both in and out of my control).

But my full swing, both off the tee and approach, has been no good. At different points this season, I've had both left and right tendencies. My GIR number hasn't budged much. My missed greens short has dropped fractionally, so that I'm missing left/right but with the correct distance more often.

Off the tee, I've hit some nice drives. Just yesterday, I played from the white tees for the first time this season. On the last hole, an uphill hole, I hit this:

image.png

So that was fun. My Arccos driver "smart distance" is 243. But my overall "distance off the tee" number (which finished last season at 200 yards) has stretch all the way to...202.

So I think it's time to admit: I need help. I started this thread with the ambition to see if I could get to single figures just with research and practice. The answer, at least right now, appears to be: nope.

So, my update: I've just begun to work with a coach named Jayson Nickol. He has studied under Shauheen Nakjavani,

What am I hoping for from this? To be honest, I'm not expecting him to tell me a bunch of stuff that I don't know. I don't want that to come across the wrong way. But honestly: the first lesson video he gave me suggested changes to my swing that I quite expected.

The difference: accountability. I now have a reason to work specifically on those things, and not give up on making needed swing changes because they're uncomfortable and I just want to play.

Full WITB with pictures

6 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

What am I hoping for from this? To be honest, I'm not expecting him to tell me a bunch of stuff that I don't know. I don't want that to come across the wrong way. But honestly: the first lesson video he gave me suggested changes to my swing that I quite expected.

I think that's a very astute observation. Your knowledge of the golf swing is pretty extensive, and I'm sure if you could only "just make your swing match the picture in your head" (a thought I've had about a thousand times lol) it would probably be a super legit swing.

For what it's worth, I can see some similarities between our personalities (except you know more than me haha), and one thing having a specific teacher helped a ton with was staying focused. When my swing has had rough stretches, it's usually after I try to change 78 different things all in 2 range sessions. They're probably mostly based in sound logic, but having the focus of narrowing in on just a few thoughts and concepts for an extended period of time has been really helpful for me. 

Excited to hear more about your experience with Jayson, and hope his style works well for you!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

So here's a compilation of the swings that I sent to Jayson:

He requested a full speed and slow motion from DTL and FO. Here were some comments I made about these swings in another thread here, before I heard back from Jayson:

• I'd like to see the club outside my hands on the backswing and then shallow. It's not awful or unplayable, but my path is still inside on the backswing and out-to-in on the downswing. The path results in either a playable cut or (if the face closes) a nuclear pull. You can see this on the first two DTL swings: the first is a pull, the second a push-fade.
  • On the face on: I think it would be beneficial if my entire upper body and head didn't slide down the line into impact. On iron shots, it tends to be reasonably playable: it gives me a sharply downward AoA. But I suspect that that move is part of the explanation for my driver woes.

What Jayson has me working on is related to the need to shallow in transition. But helpfully, he's pairing that with an emphasis on getting more bowing in the left wrist; getting more shallow without changing wrist angles would just open my clubface. He noted (rightly) that in my present swing (more evident from face on), my chest is almost directly down at the ball at impact. I have to stall my chest rotation there to let my hands catch up and square the face. So if I can square the face earlier (with the bowing of the wrist), I can turn through the ball more freely.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, this is mostly stuff I kinda knew, but having someone that I'm going to report back to give me a stronger incentive to work on this and keep working on it, even when my older swing feels better for me.

Given what Jayson had assigned to me, it seems like a good time to break out the PlaneMate again. When I first got the PlaneMate, I worked with it a bit, but really fell off the wagon entirely once the season started. But I brought it back out to the garage today. I think it's worth looking at these two swing sequence images:

If you open that tweet and switch back and forth between the two sequences, you'll see that my swing route is exactly the opposite in both. Jayson has cautioned me about getting too laid off at the top with the newer move; I need to take some video after working with the PlaneMate without having the PlaneMate attached. I'm hoping that I can get that lead wrist position with perhaps a more neutral position of the shaft at the top. But otherwise, that second sequence makes so much more sense.

Chatting with Jayson today, the immediate plan is to continue ingrained the new move. With that, I want to work with foot spray: my impact is currently a bit erratic with the new sequence, so that's going to need to get better. My plan is to work on differential training (purposefully hitting the toe, heel, center, high, low) for that. Then, as the move becomes less mechanical and more mine, the swing needs to get more fluid and speedy. Initially, these swings have been very rigid: I've felt like I'm holding my wrists in certain positions, etc. That's no good. I'm making a transition to letting these positions happen instead of making them happen. But I think that only comes with reps.

Full WITB with pictures

• 4 months later...

I've been, um, busy.

But now it's the dead of winter, so it's time for me to start posting in the Forum again!

This will be a quick one. I've still been working with Jayson Nickol on Skillest. I've enjoyed it; he is also pretty nerdy and technical about golf, so that's a good fit. I'm hoping to get in a good garage session tomorrow (temps are getting to a balmy 26°, so I want to take advantage of that).

Christmas break was rough for my golf routine. We had a week+ of travel and managed to snag a case of COVID on the way (it was very mild and I was over it in a couple of days, for which I'm grateful). But now that I'm home again, I'm trying to get back to a routine in which I roll several dozen putts and make a few dozen swings (much often, with either PlaneMate, the DivotBoard, other training aids, or a combo pack of them) every day to keep engraining new swing patterns.

I got a bag of foam balls. Those are fun to hit inside.

I like how I'm turning here (the camera position ain't ideal). Wrist angles are a little sloppier than they were a month+ ago; I'll be working to get that flatter feel back in the lead wrist.

Full WITB with pictures