TESTERS WANTED! ×

MPR: The Single Digit Project

Man, I have not been following this thread enough! Great stuff MPR!!! 

Hoping I can finally return to form and scratch my way closer to single digits as well. Best of luck in '22!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Getting back to working on the things I'm supposed to be working on. Took a few swings this morning focusing almost exclusively on my wrist angles. Aiming to get the lead wrist flat to slightly bowed, to get the club set at the top for a more rotation-based swing.

1642698959110.jpg

Quibbles:

• I'd love to see my rear end/hips not come off the back line through impact. (Related: to keep my head from going out toward the ball.) This here is monumentally better than it has been in the past, but if I could keep my body back, I'd have more space for my hands to come through.
  • Strike was poor here, out on the toe. I'm using the Pro version of the Tour Striker 7 iron training club. If you've seen this before, you know that it absolutely punishes poor strikes. But I'm trying to work on taking a swing in which I can do the proper move without a ball and transition to doing it with a ball, and that means rebuilding good strike patterns.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

On 1/20/2022 at 10:42 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Getting back to working on the things I'm supposed to be working on. Took a few swings this morning focusing almost exclusively on my wrist angles. Aiming to get the lead wrist flat to slightly bowed, to get the club set at the top for a more rotation-based swing

Quibbles:

• I'd love to see my rear end/hips not come off the back line through impact. (Related: to keep my head from going out toward the ball.) This here is monumentally better than it has been in the past, but if I could keep my body back, I'd have more space for my hands to come through.

Have you done TPI or other physical assessments to see if there are any physical limitations leading to the early extension towards the ball? Working on hips and core could be more important than trying to ingrain a technique or move. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

19 hours ago, BMart519 said:

Have you done TPI or other physical assessments to see if there are any physical limitations leading to the early extension towards the ball? Working on hips and core could be more important than trying to ingrain a technique or move. 

BMart,

I haven't, and it would be interesting.

That said (and I'm absolutely open to correction here), I don't think these screen shots show what is typically called early extension. Extension here would involve a loss of the setup posture, typically meaning that a person stands up with their hips moving toward the ball. If you look at my swing, I normally begin moving my entire body toward the ball while retaining most of my setup posture.

To be sure, there may be a physical limitation that would lead to that, so that your point remains.

Full WITB with pictures

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

BMart,

I haven't, and it would be interesting.

That said (and I'm absolutely open to correction here), I don't think these screen shots show what is typically called early extension. Extension here would involve a loss of the setup posture, typically meaning that a person stands up with their hips moving toward the ball. If you look at my swing, I normally begin moving my entire body toward the ball while retaining most of my setup posture.

To be sure, there may be a physical limitation that would lead to that, so that your point remains.

Good point, your head is also lower at impact than address. Could be more of a balance issue and too much weight over the toes that could be fixed with changing intention and technique. 

But adding rotation always warrants consideration around physical capabilities. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Impact from the first video I sent to Jayson Nickol and from today. Might have just figured something out: stay tuned for updates.

GridArt_20220127_145258115.jpg

Full WITB with pictures

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Impact from the first video I sent to Jayson Nickol and from today. Might have just figured something out: stay tuned for updates.

GridArt_20220127_145258115.jpg

Gotta be the boots!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

• 4 weeks later...

We're likely about two months out from opening day here. I would say that right now, I understand more about how the parts of my swing fit together than I have at any point previously. As I said previously, I've been working online with Jayson Nickol (https://skillest.com/app/profile/jayson-nickol); if you're interested in dipping your toe in online lessons without breaking the bank, I think he's certainly worth a look.

In the last two weeks-ish, it's begun to click for me how my lower body has to work to do the things I want to do delivering the club. As I've mentioned above, my swing tendency (from a down-the-line camera view) is to have my entire body sway toward the ball as I reach the top of my backswing. I don't have what is typically identified as early extension, with my hips thrusting forward. But my move creates the same problem: the space in front of my body is constricted, so I have little room to bring my hands through where I'd want them. In addition, the extraneous movement of the body cannot be ideal for consistent contact.

Two lower body ideas that have made a big difference for me:

• On the backswing, I want my trail hip to get deep. Another way to think of it: when my hips pivot in the backswing, the pivot point is my lead hip, rather than the center of my pelvis or my trail hip. If my trail hip is the pivot point, the lead hip comes forward, toward the ball. (Try it and see if this makes sense.) If my lead hip is the pivot point, my trail hip can get deep on my backswing, which preserves the space in front of me.
  • In transition, I need to feel my trail foot rolling to the inside, so that I'm moving my trail knee toward my lead knee, instead of kicking my trail knee out toward the ball. This idea occurred to me while listening to an episode of Mark Immelman's podcast. A guest of his suggested a drill called the "shinbreaker": at address, put a tipped-over range bucket on your back foot, so that any forward motion of the trail leg will cause your shin to hit the rim of the bucket. It reinforces the correct movement of the trail leg.

Here's a quick wedge video of these ideas working together. The club doesn't quite get as shallow as I would like, but you can see my trail hip deepen through the backswing, and then my trail knee doesn't get too far forward of the line established at address. My head, which almost always is well over the line established at address, actually remain inside it! All in all, even with a wedge, my hands have space clear of my thighs to move through the ball.

EDIT:

Adding a gif of address vs impact:

address and impact.gif

Full WITB with pictures

35 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Here's a quick wedge video of these ideas working together

swing is looking good!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just now, cnosil said:

swing is looking good!

Thanks! Next week is looking slightly warmer (temps in the high 20s most days), so I'm hoping to get some good sim time and see how it's performing.

Full WITB with pictures

Got a chance to get some practice in yesterday afternoon.

Unsurprisingly, when I'm hitting balls for real, some of the clean lines of the swing get less clean. I will still be working on not spinning my trail leg forward, but instead keeping hip depth in transition. But the club shallows nicely here, and if the Mevo+ is accurate, I'm likely about 1/2 to 3/4 of a club longer this year.

Had a really nice virtual round on Saturday. Played nine holes on Awesome Golf, and hit every single green in regulation.

Full WITB with pictures

20 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Serious question: when you actually get in the course, do you play golf or do you play golf swing. I’d be curious if your mental approach to practice and how it translates over to playing 18 hinders your on course results. 

That's literally what this next month+ is for.  Because we have six months of solid winter here, I can afford to spend a few of those months simply working on swing mechanics. Now that it's warm enough to actually get into the garage and hit balls that have results of a sort, I'm making the transition from swing changes to performance. That's why, when I'm hitting balls now in the garage, the swing "prettiness" suffers. That's OK. The bones of the changes that I've been working on remain there, and now it's time to make the swing work, instead of working on the swing.

Full WITB with pictures

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

That's literally what this next month+ is for.  Because we have six months of solid winter here, I can afford to spend a few of those months simply working on swing mechanics. Now that it's warm enough to actually get into the garage and hit balls that have results of a sort, I'm making the transition from swing changes to performance. That's why, when I'm hitting balls now in the garage, the swing "prettiness" suffers. That's OK. The bones of the changes that I've been working on remain there, and now it's time to make the swing work, instead of working on the swing.

You every listen to the Golf Science Lab Podcast and their coach/practice series?

Lots of great information in there about how to practice and then how to transition everything to the course.  I feel like you have the swing - but something happens when you get on the course where all the work you put simply doesn't translate to good scoring.

14 minutes ago, jlukes said:

You every listen to the Golf Science Lab Podcast and their coach/practice series?

Lots of great information in there about how to practice and then how to transition everything to the course.  I feel like you have the swing - but something happens when you get on the course where all the work you put simply doesn't translate to good scoring.

I've subscribed to that podcast in the past, but not recently. Adam Young, in his book and on his podcast with Jon Sherman, talk a great deal as well about transference practice to bring changes to the course.

The reality is that, by far according to Arccos, the full swing part of my game (both off the tee and approach) is weaker than my wedges and putting. I was able to spend some time this winter on a video call with Lou Stagner, going hole-by-hole on my home course to pick more intelligent targets, figuring out when to push things and when to lay up (which, it turns out, is pretty often on my course).

Full WITB with pictures

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I've subscribed to that podcast in the past, but not recently. Adam Young, in his book and on his podcast with Jon Sherman, talk a great deal as well about transference practice to bring changes to the course.

The reality is that, by far according to Arccos, the full swing part of my game (both off the tee and approach) is weaker than my wedges and putting. I was able to spend some time this winter on a video call with Lou Stagner, going hole-by-hole on my home course to pick more intelligent targets, figuring out when to push things and when to lay up (which, it turns out, is pretty often on my course).

Not so much talking about on course strategy; more so about how practice habits can set you up for making better swings. 

Practicing under pressure. Block practice. Staggered practice. Etc. honestly you have the swing and strategic mind to be low single digits. I don’t think your Arccos handicap on full shots is telling you to make better decisions. I think it’s telling you there is a mental/physical disconnect between your practice swing and how you mentally and physically execute a shot on the course 

I went through a similar plateau a few years ago

The Tour Coach Podcast is a part of the Golf Science lab podcast group and this podcast really goes into successful practice structure and how to flip the switch from practice to playing

6 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I was able to spend some time this winter on a video call with Lou Stagner, going hole-by-hole on my home course to pick more intelligent targets, figuring out when to push things and when to lay up (which, it turns out, is pretty often on my course).

That's really cool! Do you feel like you have a lot of new tee ball strategies for different holes now, or was there a lot similar?

I've always been curious how golf course strategy that's made based on more championship style courses holds up to the smaller, shorter, tighter courses. There's a few I play around here that frequently stump me, and I always feel like it's much harder to play to the course handicap, but I digress that's probably another topic entirely.

I also really enjoy Lou (and the rest of the guys) on Hack it Out, as well as Jon Sherman and Adam Young's podcast 👍

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

On 3/2/2022 at 5:26 PM, jlukes said:

Not so much talking about on course strategy; more so about how practice habits can set you up for making better swings. 

Practicing under pressure. Block practice. Staggered practice. Etc. honestly you have the swing and strategic mind to be low single digits. I don’t think your Arccos handicap on full shots is telling you to make better decisions. I think it’s telling you there is a mental/physical disconnect between your practice swing and how you mentally and physically execute a shot on the course 

I went through a similar plateau a few years ago

The Tour Coach Podcast is a part of the Golf Science lab podcast group and this podcast really goes into successful practice structure and how to flip the switch from practice to playing

For the first time since I got a garage sim (first the SkyTrak, now the Mevo+), I've also invested in sim software. One of the things I'm going to play with is (taking a page from George Bryan and any number of other YouTube golfers) is playing each course from the easiest tees, backing up only when I can break 30 (the courses in Awesome Golf are only 9 holes) from that tee. So this evening, I started with the easiest tees on the easiest course.

While I met the challenge easily, it did show that I'm overdue for rebuilding my wedge clock chart for this year. Those pars on the par 3s are a matter of misjudging partial wedge shots.

original_e6582e9a-633c-47f5-96a6-05b441a3cd17_20220306_174818.jpg

Full WITB with pictures

Was able to exchange some DMs with the Twitter account for Awesome Golf and they very helpfully agreed to send me a full list of the yardages for all five tees for each of the four courses. Obviously, I could have compiled this manually, but their sending it saved me a lot of time.

The four courses in the sim increase steadily in difficulty. The first course, Spring Park Hills, is a pretty simple and open parkland setting. Here are the yardages from the various tee options:

image.png

In a "normal" round, I'll play from the fourth tee option. In the garage, the longest club I can swing without crashing into the ceiling is a hybrid.

Anyway, this gives a bit more context for the 25 I shot in my previous post. I'm pretty pleased; even if (from those distances) you reasonably think of the course as a par 3 track, I made 3 birdies and one bogey.

Hoping to check off the next course or two in my "Break 30 challenge" today or tomorrow.

Full WITB with pictures

Yesterday afternoon, I got back to the garage for more Break 30 work. Here are the yardages from the most forward tees for the four courses in Awesome Golf:

• Spring Hill: 1358
  • Island Beach: 1485
  • Desert Canyon: 1510
  • Valley Pines: 1417

While I think the idea is that each course is progressively more difficult, so far I've found Desert Canyon to be the most challenging, because it combines high winds and then the desert area off the rough is OB.

Having already broken 30 from the front tees at Spring Hill, Kirke and I took on the next three courses:

scores.jpg

So the thing to notice is that, while I did break 30 one each course, Kirke shot a mind-numbing 26(!) at Valley Pines. He was 10 under on nine holes. To put it a different way: my home course is about 6,000 yards total, so nine holes is about 3,000 for me. Kirke's course, based on his age, is typically about 1,800 yards.

So on a 1,400 yard course, which for me should be a par 3 course but for Kirke isn't terribly shorter than a course he'd actually play in a tournament, he went 10 under.

After completing my Break 30 goal from all the front tees, Kirke and I returned to Spring Hill at the second tee length, about 1,750 yards. I shot a 31 there (Kirke shot a 32). So that was a bit of a bummer, but I think I've learned two things:

• must get my wedge matrix built again. I just don't have reference points for partial wedge shots established right now, and it's really hurting my scoring.
  • When I get more tired, I get snap hookier. That closing nine was poor off the tee (I'm only using my driving iron off the tee in the garage). In hindsight, I made my typical (wrong) adjustment: when shots start going low and left for me, I tend to react by getting steer-y with my swing. Inevitably, that produces a slower pivot and a downswing dominated by my arms and hands, which tends to produce even more low hooks. So I need to learn from that, file that information away to make a better adjustment in the future (especially on the course).

Full WITB with pictures

Checked off one more course, or maybe two, in my quest to Break 30 at each course from each set of tees in Awesome Golf.

I shot a 10-under par 26 at 1,753 yards at Spring Park Hills. The par on the last hole will haunt me. And then Kirke and I played Island Beach. The final hole there is a replica of Pebble's famed 7th hole. I hit a wedge which landed in the gimme ring and then backed up to (likely) an inch or two outside it for a par, leaving me with a 30 for the round.

morescores.jpg

For now, I'm planning to count that. I know the series is titled "Break 30," but it's based off the attempt to break 60 on 18. I'm going to argue that 30 counts because I shot a 26 in the same session.

Right now, I'm really happy with the way I'm hitting the ball. Temps are slowly rising here; we touched 50 today, which should help melt snow. It's a balancing act; obviously, I want the snow to melt, but it needs to melt slowly or else flooding is a very big problem.

But temps in the high 40s/low 50s are perfect for a steady melt while also making the garage really comfortable for hitting balls. I want to continue playing these rounds, getting my focus on scoring. I also need to complete a bag gapping (though I have a pretty good idea, just from playing) and the wedge matrix (that I've been talking about for the past few posts but still haven't done).

I continue to putt daily. Pretty sure I said this somewhere in this thread, but I'm going all in on heads up putting this season. The Edel is likely my forever putter. My practice right now, when I want to work on technique, is getting better at a more stable stroke while looking at the hole. I believe looking that the hole will make my putting better on the whole, but I also know that when I do, my stroke and strike are objectively worse than when I'm looking down. So I'm trying to marry the best of both as much as possible.

Full WITB with pictures

Checked off a couple more Break 30s, including a clean Break 30 on Island Beach (where I had previously only shot 30):

Desert Canyon remains a challenge, even from these short tees (1,883 for nine). It is mostly playing in 15–20mph winds.

I also did a Skills Challenge on Awesome Golf on Saturday, recording the whole session to send to my coach (Jayson Nickol) for feedback. Here's a nice indication of the changes we've made over the winter: the first frame is from the first video I sent him at the end of last August; the second frame is from Saturday; both are 8 irons:

Path is much closer to neutral, and hitting a small draw on most shots.

Also, we're getting 3–6" of snow tomorrow.

Full WITB with pictures

So much of the progress I've made in shallowing this offseason is rooted in a better understanding of how the swing relates to the lower body.

Full WITB with pictures

19 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

So much of the progress I've made in shallowing this offseason is rooted in a better understanding of how the swing relates to the lower body.

Drastic differences and it shows how hard you have been working.   Hoping that it transfers to the course and that the snow actually melts so you can verify.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Drastic differences and it shows how hard you have been working.   Hoping that it transfers to the course and that the snow actually melts so you can verify.

What's interesting is that my process isn't much different from what it has been in years past. The swing differences are mostly the product of daily rehearsals (mostly in the empty church building) without a ball.

But making the entire swing work together (instead of only focusing on shallowing or wrist angles) has allowed the shallowing to transfer much more than previously when it was time to hit balls again.

Full WITB with pictures

• 2 weeks later...

We're still buried under snow here, but I feel more prepared for the beginning of a golf season than I ever have before:

Full WITB with pictures

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Time for a check in, as I prepare for my own version of the late summer run

Mmmmmmmm. Lenny, cue the honesty hour music. 

So I saw on twitter that you took your putting lesson via Skillest. I’m also taking a series of lessons, full swing, via Skillest and have been pleasantly surprised. I had real doubts but the communication has been excellent and I’m finally starting to see a correction to a problem that has plagued me for years. But putting?

What has that been like?  Send a video and get a video back? Anything live? Very curious?

#LGLG

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)