GolfSpy MPR

MPR: The Single Digit Project

Our Sponsors

Thanks @GolfSpy MPR for the response! The recent drop in price for ShotScope is stupid tempting.

• Like 2

• :cobra-small: King F8 3w
  • :mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC Fli Hi 3i
  • :nike-small:VR-S Forged 5-PW
  • :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP 56*
  • :wilson_staff_small: Infinite Lake Shore

Looking for advice.

I've mentioned previously in this thread that Game Golf only had one set of tees for my course: the whites. There are actually four sets of tees here; I play the blues, which though they are the furthest back, are still only about 6,000 yards.

Even so, the white tees are 200-300 yards shorter than the blues. The fact that Game Golf was calculating my handicap from the whites was hurting my handicap to a small degree. So I contacted them and asked them to add the blue tees, including a picture of the scorecard.

Here's the problem: our card doesn't have a listed rating and slope, so it looks like Game Golf just went with default settings there.

Par at our course is 71, and because it is so short, I'm sure the actual rating would be something just sub-70. I played one round this week and shot a terrible score (+12 for nine holes; 8 over on two holes with multiple tee balls out of play, 4 over for the other seven holes). But when I put in Game Golf on the new blue tee setting, my handicap still decreased.

So I've got a dilemma. I could just keep putting in my scores with the white tees, even though I'm playing the blues. This has the advantage of consistency, while having the downside of slightly inflating my handicap.

The other option is to use the blue tee setting, which will artificially lower my handicap.

Or I could do a third thing: alternate recording my rounds between white and blue (even though I only play the blues). This would likely give the most accurate results.

The last thing I could do would be to contact Game Golf and ask them to adjust rating/slope for the blues, but since I don't know those numbers, I wouldn't think they'd just put in an arbitrary guess from me.

:callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero, 10.5°, Project X EvenFlow Blue 65
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:ping-small: G700 5–PW, blue dot, Modus3 105
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:cleveland-small: RTX-3 CB 54° and 60°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab R Ball, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Looking for advice.

I've mentioned previously in this thread that Game Golf only had one set of tees for my course: the whites. There are actually four sets of tees here; I play the blues, which though they are the furthest back, are still only about 6,000 yards.

Even so, the white tees are 200-300 yards shorter than the blues. The fact that Game Golf was calculating my handicap from the whites was hurting my handicap to a small degree. So I contacted them and asked them to add the blue tees, including a picture of the scorecard.

Here's the problem: our card doesn't have a listed rating and slope, so it looks like Game Golf just went with default settings there.

Par at our course is 71, and because it is so short, I'm sure the actual rating would be something just sub-70. I played one round this week and shot a terrible score (+12 for nine holes; 8 over on two holes with multiple tee balls out of play, 4 over for the other seven holes). But when I put in Game Golf on the new blue tee setting, my handicap still decreased.

So I've got a dilemma. I could just keep putting in my scores with the white tees, even though I'm playing the blues. This has the advantage of consistency, while having the downside of slightly inflating my handicap.

The other option is to use the blue tee setting, which will artificially lower my handicap.

Or I could do a third thing: alternate recording my rounds between white and blue (even though I only play the blues). This would likely give the most accurate results.

The last thing I could do would be to contact Game Golf and ask them to adjust rating/slope for the blues, but since I don't know those numbers, I wouldn't think they'd just put in an arbitrary guess from me.

What is slope/rating from whites? 

What is slope/rating GG is using for blues?

First thing I would do is contact course and have them reach out to the local golf association and have them come out and re rate the course. It will be a longer process but will fix it once done. 

Just a guess but at about 300 yards the rating will be a stroke higher and slope maybe 2 or 3 higher from blues. I would give those numbers to GG and use those until it can actually be rated. 

• Like 2

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

our card doesn't have a listed rating and slope

But is the course USGA rated? I've seen a course somewhere before that didn't have the information printed on the cards. The Pro should know.

• Like 2

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Here are the options:

image.png

I'm not sure where they got the information for the white tees, but you can see that the rating difference here between the blues and the whites is enormous.

@GolfSpy MPR, I have a spreadsheet for you that will allow you to get a more accurate handle on your handicap. It will require you to plug in some data, but I've spent a ridiculous amount of time building this out using the USGA's formulas. I will caution though, it's not perfect. I noticed last season (when I was still using an official handicap) that some of the course rating and slope numbers utilized by GHIN did not match the USGA National Course Rating Database. I don't know the reason for the discrepancies, but the few I found were small and shouldn't throw your index off by much. 

PM me with your personal email if you'd like me to send a copy and some instructions.

• Like 3

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

30 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Here are the options:

image.png

I'm not sure where they got the information for the white tees, but you can see that the rating difference here between the blues and the whites is enormous.

Yeah that doesn't seem right based on information you have provided. 

• Like 1

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

Found this on the USGA's website:

image.png

It still doesn't make complete sense. I'm guessing that "middle" would be the white tees and the "forward" would be the red tees (if the "Gender" column means anything).

Here's the card at our course:

image.png

• Like 1

Interesting that if you do searches you can find different ratings;  I am guess that the tee boxes have changed and been added over time.  The clubs website talks about the longest teees and a rating of  67/113 so my guess is that is the number you are looking for. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Interesting that if you do searches you can find different ratings;  I am guess that the tee boxes have changed and been added over time.  The clubs website talks about the longest teees and a rating of  67/113 so my guess is that is the number you are looking for. 

Ah, good catch! I submitted a request to Game Golf to get that adjusted. If they get it done, I'll likely go back over my last twenty rounds and change the tees, to get a better estimate of my actual handicap.

This is pretty exciting for me: knowing that Game Golf has been calculating my handicap off a 64 course rating when it should have been 67 means that I'm slightly better than I thought I was 🙂

• Like 2

I've been inspired by two recent threads: [mention=56939]jlukes[/mention]'s swing overhaul, and [mention=16651]revkev[/mention]'s thread comparing lessons and fitting vs. self-teaching and off-the-rack clubs (these are both great threads that, if you haven't, you should go read and keep up with).
To begin, I'm nowhere in jluke's class as a player. I'm a mid/high handicap player, floating right around 15. But I think I can get better.
As I commented in revkev's thread, I have no objections to getting lessons and getting a fitting. I'd love to do both of those. My chief obstacle is location. I don't have an actual driving range within an hour of my home. There are no full golf stores (as far as I know) within two hours of where I live. There is a really good golf coach at a course that's an hour away, and he also does fittings. He would absolutely be my first choice, but signing up for regular lessons with a two-hour round-trip commute: the time and cost add up in a hurry. I tried to get together with him to get fitted for my G700 irons that I reviewed for MGS last summer, but we couldn't get our schedules to align.
So consider me another test case for revkev's question. I'm aiming to answer the question, "How much improvement can be gained with off-the-rack clubs and self-teaching?"
Here's the starting point:
1432703033_Strokesgained.jpg.bcc5ac6a3535208089beac4e7f772fc6.jpg
This is my Game Golf summary of my rounds from this past July and August, set in contrast with a 5-handicap.
What immediately jumps out is that I'm loosing a ton of strokes to a single-digit off the tee and in my short game. There is certainly room for improvement in ball-striking and putting, but the low-hanging fruit is in the other categories.
Why am I so bad off the tee? It's not because I spray it all over; I hit an ordinary number of fairways. It's because I hardly hit it out of my own shadow.
Stats.jpg.95a76408509f094a0b1c651079adac36.jpg
Do you see that last column? That's embarrassing.
So, my first plan is to continue the SuperSpeed training that I've been doing for a couple of months now. I've seen significant speed gains already, but because I have no way to get to a course or a range before spring (late April at best here), I'm anxious to see how the speed with translate.
I'm also working on a meaningful swing overhaul, with a lot of similarities to what jlukes is describing in his thread. Here's a screen cap of a swing in my backyard from a couple of years ago:
Flip.thumb.jpg.63963fca09a375fc1f888c4e56ea27ce.jpg
Like jlukes, I have a tendency to have a pronounced forward sway through the swing, which essentially forces me to catch up with a flip at the bottom. The early extension is visible in
. For my part, I'm pretty sure the answer is found in wrist angles, with a corresponding emphasis on rotation and staying behind the ball. These are the moves I'm working on now.
I'm also working through the content from Adam Young's The Strike Plan. I'm a big fan of Adam's work, especially the notion of turning strike into a practiced skill.
How am I going to measure progress until I'm on the course? Technology! I have just recently purchased a SkyTrak, which I got for a very good price. I also have a good camera that wirelessly connects to my tablet, allowing me to look at my swing in real time. And finally, I have a Zepp swing monitor. My intention is to use my garage as a pretty high-tech self-coaching bay.
The SkyTrak is going to be a big part of tightening up my short game as well. One of the built-in features is the Dave Pelz-esque wedge matrix: it allows you to chart your wedges distances for full, 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 swings for each of the wedges in your bag. My hope is to dial these in with practice this winter, giving me much greater ability to knock shots within 100 yards to makeable putting distances.
My goal for this season is ambitious. I want to drop from being ~15 handicap to somewhere in the single digits. But I believe that I have the tools that I need to accomplish this goal. And I have a community here for the support, which is also a key component. I'll be using this thread to keep everyone posted on my progress.

Just found this, interesting stuff.
I’ll catch up.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2019 Season: The Year in Review Post

It has snowed here. There is likely some golf yet to be played in the next couple of weeks, but this season is drawing to its close, and it's time to look back at my progress this year.

Let's start with some big picture numbers:

image.png

I isolate my July/August numbers, because that tends to be when the weather and my golf game both peak. On the whole, there's a lot of progress in this chart:

• I gained about a stroke off the tee, almost two strokes in my approach game, and about a half stroke putting. I got about a half stroke worse in my short game.
  • My GIRs went up by over a third.
  • Putting (in raw numbers) has been a pretty constant part of my game.
  • During the peak months, I gained nearly 30 yards off the tee. 221 is still not impressive and I'm still convinced it is far below my potential, but it's a sizable improvement over the previous year.
  • Not on the chart: my scrambling numbers improved incrementally, from 19% to 22% (in July/August).

I began this project with a Game Golf handicap of 15.8. As I detailed in some previous posts, I found that GG's course rating information was incorrect for my home course, and remains so. The upshot is that my starting handicap was likely inflated a bit by GG. My current number is 12.8, but a bit of that is entering the last few rounds with the (now too high) course rating. All in all, I'm thinking that the 12.8 is probably pretty accurate, but that I didn't drop a full three strokes from my handicap this season.

Nonetheless, I think I made real progress, and the prospect of dropping from 12.8 to something sub-10 next season is not terribly far-fetched. I'm anticipating, then, continuing this thread for Season 2.

So where can more work be done? There remains for me a strong correlation between the aspects of the game I practice most and the parts of the game I'm best at (shocker!). I putt regularly on my practice green in my basement. That will continue, and I'll be doing my offseason tradition of pitting my stable of putters against each other for the starting gig in my bag next year. New this year: I'm going to be using my PuttOUT gate for the testing this year, to narrow down which putter I'm most effective with in starting the ball on my intended line. I'm finding that I have a regular tendency to pull putts.

Iron play also remains a strength relative to handicap, and it got even better this year. In July/August, Game Golf would put my ball-striking on the level of a 7 handicap. Two plans here. The first is that I just bought a used DST Compressor 8 iron. My hope is that it will continue to sharpen my impact position with my irons. The second is that (for me) I've learned not to practice on my fluffy garage turf. Instead, I stand on the fluffy turf and hit balls off a tight lie turf (the same stuff I used on my putting green). The fluffy turf lets me get away with fat contact far too easily, and I noticed it immediately when I began this season on the squishy, snow-melted course. Practicing on the tighter lie this winter should allow me to come out of the gates better next spring.

The short game remains the biggest and most place for improvement. My season-long comp (2018 vs. 2019) is not good here:
image.png

My dispersion pattern this season was (oddly) more symmetrical, with an almost even spread left and right of the green. But hitting the green 50% of the time from inside 100 yards is just brutal.

How is this going to improve? One factor might be that I had to give up my @PrecisionProGolf NX9 HD in mid-August. The main MGS office needed it for a video shoot. I can't prove that this created my problem, but from July 1–August 14, I hit 57% of greens inside 100 yards. From August 15 (when I sent my NX9 away)–September 30, that number plummeted to 39%, with 52%(!) of my shots ending up short of my target. With the rangefinder, I hit 31% of GIR; after I sent it away, the number dropped to 23%.

I'm frankly just not good at estimating yardage inside 100 yards. Nearly all my practice is done on my SkyTrak, and I don't have a projector for the SkyTrak; I'm using a TV screen on the side of my setup. That means the I don't visually connect distances to swings in my practice; instead, I'm attaching specific yardage numbers to specific backswing lengths and feels. Not having my rangefinder, then, quite plausibly could have contributed to the decline of my short game down the stretch of the season.

(The July 1–August 14 strokes lost number for my short game was 4.61, which is better than my numbers from 2018.)

So my improvement plan with my wedges includes, first, using my NX9 consistently within 100 yards next season. Second, I again believe that practice from the tight lie mat will help here: a lot of those 35% of short game shots that come up short are because of fat contact.

Third, I'm full-on committing to a three-wedge clock setup this winter. I replaced all of my wedges with more friendly Cleveland wedges this season: the CBX in 50° and the RTX-3 CB in 54° and 60°. I plan to work heavily with SkyTrak this off-season to establish consistent 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full swing distances with each of those clubs. This aspect of my game is so poor right now that any dedicated work is bound to improve my scoring significantly.

Off the tee, I got better, but I'm still underachieving. This remains for me the hardest part of my game to practice. There are no ranges near me, and my garage ceiling is not high enough to allow me to practice on the SkyTrak. I'm looking at the possibility of removing a small portion of my garage ceiling (it is just a layer of insulation) and swinging between the rafters, but even that is pretty dodgy.

I do intend to take my SkyTrak to my parents' house, where their garage has very high ceilings and would allow me to get a least a couple of driver sessions in.

I will also be resuming a fitness plan for the off-season. I'm giving real consideration to jumping in on the Fit For Golf Superspeed plan while the sale is going on. But I also might just do the SuperSpeed training along with regular workouts on my BowFlex-like home gym.

It's also my intention, next season, to get my first driver fitting ever. That's always a challenge; I don't have fitters local to me. But I have a few times a year when I have reasons to get to the Twin Cities, and should be able to arrange something like that next season.

I've appreciated all of you who have followed along on my journey this year, who added your encouragement and tips along the way. Thank you for that!

• Like 6
  • Love 2

That is great improvement year over year. Whether it is a full 3 shots or not it is nothing to shake a stick at. Your peak numbers are not far off from where you want to be. One question and then a couple of suggestions. 

What is your driver CHS?

Keep working on those GIR's. The short game is the quickest fix to getting your handicap down but another 15-20% GIR will be a huge help and will contribute to long term sustainability. 

Try a putter with more toe hang. If you are missing left it could help starting the ball on your intended line. I would suggest something in the 75* or 3/4 to hang range to see if that helps.

Get a rangefinder. One of the biggest things that gets in golfers way is variables if we can eliminate as many as possible we will always be better off.

Get FIt For Golf. You won't regret it and will see progress within 2 weeks. Not saying you wouldn't with SS and your bowflex but FFG is legit and has been a huge help to me and almost anyone I have seen using it.

It has been fun following along. Keep it up. Enjoy seeing the progress. Not sure how you can play this crazy game with as much time off as you are forced to take. Winter time here means I go from 3-5 rounds a week to 2 and I can still barely sustain my number.

• Like 2

Awesome to read all of your progress this season. I really appreciate all of the time and effort you put into your posts, and it's one of the threads that inspired me to create my own.

I'm still really jealous of your SkyTrak setup. My garage has 10 foot ceilings, you're welcome anytime this winter. 🙂

I have the DST Compressor 8 iron and used it a bit last winter. My only warning to you will be that it's pretty easy to cheat with the club off of a mat. The mat can mask fat shots, as you've alluded to, and I found the huge amount of bounce on the DST iron basically allows it to skip forward and still strike the ball well. Something to keep in mind.

• Like 2

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.8 (Last Updated July 12, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT - Check out the pre-chatter thread!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra Black/Yellow Ultralight Cart Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to 7.5°), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°, set to 13.5°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow (Also: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow)
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

22 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

That is great improvement year over year. Whether it is a full 3 shots or not it is nothing to shake a stick at. Your peak numbers are not far off from where you want to be. One question and then a couple of suggestions. 

What is your driver CHS?

Keep working on those GIR's. The short game is the quickest fix to getting your handicap down but another 15-20% GIR will be a huge help and will contribute to long term sustainability. 

Try a putter with more toe hang. If you are missing left it could help starting the ball on your intended line. I would suggest something in the 75* or 3/4 to hang range to see if that helps.

Get a rangefinder. One of the biggest things that gets in golfers way is variables if we can eliminate as many as possible we will always be better off.

Get FIt For Golf. You won't regret it and will see progress within 2 weeks. Not saying you wouldn't with SS and your bowflex but FFG is legit and has been a huge help to me and almost anyone I have seen using it.

It has been fun following along. Keep it up. Enjoy seeing the progress. Not sure how you can play this crazy game with as much time off as you are forced to take. Winter time here means I go from 3-5 rounds a week to 2 and I can still barely sustain my number.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Driver clubhead speed likely lingers in the mid to high 90s, I would guess. I have the swing radar, but I've mostly used it with the SuperSpeed sticks. When I was doing SuperSpeed, I had gotten the red stick hitting an average near 110, with the green topping out in the 130s. So I definitely have the speed to be getting 250 regularly off the tee.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, edingc said:

Awesome to read all of your progress this season. I really appreciate all of the time and effort you put into your posts, and it's one of the threads that inspired me to create my own.

I'm still really jealous of your SkyTrak setup. My garage has 10 foot ceilings, you're welcome anytime this winter. 🙂

I have the DST Compressor 8 iron and used it a bit last winter. My only warning to you will be that it's pretty easy to cheat with the club off of a mat. The mat can mask fat shots, as you've alluded to, and I found the huge amount of bounce on the DST iron basically allows it to skip forward and still strike the ball well. Something to keep in mind.

Some very, very preliminary results with the DST here. I set up the SkyTrak on Saturday, did a little warming up, and then hit a half dozen 8 irons, then the same with the DST, and then back to my 8 iron. The lofts don't match up; the G700s are pretty loft-jacked, so the DST is more like my 9 iron.

image.png

[Note: the G700s are not going to be high-spin irons and from my reading, spin rate off mats tends to be significantly low. Here's an article from TrackMan that says that a 7 can drop nearly 2,000rpm of spin on mat compared to grass.]

So far, this all seems like what would be expected. If the DST gets my hands in the right spot, I should see a slightly lower launch and (hopefully) more crisp contact with increased spin. I would have liked to have seen the ball speed increase, but we'll keep an eye on that going forward.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jay11 said:

You can modify some trusses in your garage to get yourself some more ceiling height. 

Honestly, I'm insane, but doing this so that I could swing a driver in my garage would take it to another level 🙂

• Like 5

One other update I forgot to include: I mentioned at one point in this thread my goal of birdieing each hole at my home course one time this season. Here's how I did:

• Hole 1 | 435 | Par 4: Nope. This is a tough opening hole (rated the second hardest on the course. I almost never have a GIR here, which makes birdie difficult.
  • Hole 2 | 267 | Par 4: Multiple birdies. This hole is a 90° dogleg left with no reasonable way to cut the corner. Normally, it calls for a PW off the tee and a GW on the green.
  • Hole 3 | 170 | Par 3: Nope.
  • Hole 4 | 482 | Par 5: Yes. For a par 5, it's short, which should result in lots of birdie chances. But wayward shots are punished hard on both sides (forest), so it's also easy to make a big number.
  • Hole 5 | 330 | Par 4: Yes. Pretty straightforward, slightly uphill. Probably should have had more than one here, to be honest.
  • Hole 6 | 368 | Par 4: Yes. One that I'm most proud of. Another difficult hole, with OB left and woods right off the tee, with a second shot to a very difficult green.
  • Hole 7 | 200 | Par 3: Yes. This hole is massively downhill, but hitting the green from 200 and making the putt is always immensely satisfying.
  • Hole 8 | 365 | Par 4: Multiple birdies. Pretty straightforward hole.
  • Hole 9 | 419 | Par 4: Nope. Plays far longer than the listed yardage, normally uphill and into the wind.
  • Hole 10 | 315 | Par 4: Yes. A fun dogleg.
  • Hole 11 | 352 | Par 4: Yes. Guess what? Another dogleg.
  • Hole 12 | 300 | Par 4: Nope! I'm stunned a bit embarrassed by this one. This is one of the easiest holes on the course, and I didn't even realize I had gone the whole season without birdieing it.
  • Hole 13 | 367 | Par 4: Yes. Another very difficult hole requiring two very precise shots.
  • Hole 14 | 363 | Par 4: Nope.
  • Hole 15 | 142 | Par 3: Yes. A blind par 3.
  • Hole 16 | 315 | Par 4: My first and only eagle! Unfortunately, my Game Golf battery died so I have no digital record of it. But I hit a nice drive and then holed out from about 65 yards for the big bird.
  • Hole 17 | 287 | Par 4: Multiple birdies. Downhill, often downwind. The easiest hole on the course.
  • Hole 18 | 553 | Par 5: Nope. Back uphill, into the wind. Several GIRs, but a heavily sloping green makes birdie here an accomplishment.

So the final tally: 12/18. Meh. I birdied one hole I wouldn't have expected (6), and left several out there that I should have gotten. Looking forward to giving this another try next season.

• Like 5

One other update I forgot to include: I mentioned at one point in this thread my goal of birdieing each hole at my home course one time this season. Here's how I did:
  • Hole 1 | 435 | Par 4: Nope. This is a tough opening hole (rated the second hardest on the course. I almost never have a GIR here, which makes birdie difficult.
  • Hole 2 | 267 | Par 4: Multiple birdies. This hole is a 90° dogleg left with no reasonable way to cut the corner. Normally, it calls for a PW off the tee and a GW on the green.
  • Hole 3 | 170 | Par 3: Nope.
  • Hole 4 | 482 | Par 5: Yes. For a par 5, it's short, which should result in lots of birdie chances. But wayward shots are punished hard on both sides (forest), so it's also easy to make a big number.
  • Hole 5 | 330 | Par 4: Yes. Pretty straightforward, slightly uphill. Probably should have had more than one here, to be honest.
  • Hole 6 | 368 | Par 4: Yes. One that I'm most proud of. Another difficult hole, with OB left and woods right off the tee, with a second shot to a very difficult green.
  • Hole 7 | 200 | Par 3: Yes. This hole is massively downhill, but hitting the green from 200 and making the putt is always immensely satisfying.
  • Hole 8 | 365 | Par 4: Multiple birdies. Pretty straightforward hole.
  • Hole 9 | 419 | Par 4: Nope. Plays far longer than the listed yardage, normally uphill and into the wind.
  • Hole 10 | 315 | Par 4: Yes. A fun dogleg.
  • Hole 11 | 352 | Par 4: Yes. Guess what? Another dogleg.
  • Hole 12 | 300 | Par 4: Nope! I'm stunned a bit embarrassed by this one. This is one of the easiest holes on the course, and I didn't even realize I had gone the whole season without birdieing it.
  • Hole 13 | 367 | Par 4: Yes. Another very difficult hole requiring two very precise shots.
  • Hole 14 | 363 | Par 4: Nope.
  • Hole 15 | 142 | Par 3: Yes. A blind par 3.
  • Hole 16 | 315 | Par 4: My first and only eagle! Unfortunately, my Game Golf battery died so I have no digital record of it. But I hit a nice drive and then holed out from about 65 yards for the big bird.
  • Hole 17 | 287 | Par 4: Multiple birdies. Downhill, often downwind. The easiest hole on the course.
  • Hole 18 | 553 | Par 5: Nope. Back uphill, into the wind. Several GIRs, but a heavily sloping green makes birdie here an accomplishment.
So the final tally: 12/18. Meh. I birdied one hole I wouldn't have expected (6), and left several out there that I should have gotten. Looking forward to giving this another try next season.

Shows your potential of how well you can play your home course. The challenge is putting it all together in one round.
  • Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG