GolfSpy MPR

MPR: The Single Digit Project

Our Sponsors

45 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Bart Simpsons Chalkboard

Thank you for repeatedly not telling me that. 🙂 

• Haha 2

Got in a round of gap testing today with my G700s and the Sterlings. Here are the results in carry distance only. Which is the G700 and which is the Sterling, and which would you pick?

Sterling Carry_Page_2.jpg

G700 Carry_Page_2.jpg

I did both sets without watching the screen at all, so not only was I not aiming for any particular distance, I wasn't adjusting direction based on previous swing results.

• Like 3

Got in a round of gap testing today with my G700s and the Sterlings. Here are the results in carry distance only. Which is the G700 and which is the Sterling, and which would you pick?
380082494_SterlingCarry_Page_2.thumb.jpg.c72a4b0b1f4332eafb6c7b2996fd4b03.jpg
1656054805_G700Carry_Page_2.thumb.jpg.151c5c17b0e55a244c06c714f1e1ac89.jpg
I did both sets without watching the screen at all, so not only was I not aiming for any particular distance, I wasn't adjusting direction based on previous swing results.
How many shots with each club?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

How many shots with each club?

5 with each, and it kept the best 4.

I’ll guess the first picture is Sterling single length and I’d select that grouping over the Pings.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I agree with Wedgie taking the 1st group; they're more consistent. But I'm struggling with which is the Sterling and which is the Ping. Just based on the lower consistency & higher shot dispersion, I'm guessing the 2nd group of irons are the Sterlings. Your regular clubs are probably more consistent until you've had some time with the Sterlings and I understand a good fitting is even more important to performance with one-length irons vs. conventional so they may not be fitted that well to you. I'm actually surprised that there isn't a much greater difference because of the reasons I'm already mentioned (little playing time, not fitted to you). Be interesting to learn which is which. Thanks for the test!

• Like 1

I would go with the sterlings for now but I also would hit more shots to get more data. That's just me though haha.

• Like 2

OK, I went too long leaving the cliffhanger about which set was which. Takes a bit to write the analysis.

In the above post, the single-length Sterlings were the first charts, the G700s the second. In that first test, I think the Sterlings were the undisputed winner. Not only did they have better gapping, but the G700s displayed their pronounced hook tendency. Again, I purposefully did this test blind; I was not looking at the results, and so I was making no adjustments between swings to try to hit target.

For me, I didn't find the adjustment to the single-length look to be an issue. Yes, when you first grab the 5i or the PW, the loft does look odd on a 7i shaft. But seriously: I play the G700s; am I really in position to look at a club and dismiss it by its appearance? 🙂

I repeated the gap test one day after doing the first gap test. I'm going to discount the results of this one a bit more. The second day was last Sunday; I had finished three sermons/teaching times, and after having hit a lot of shots on Saturday, I was clearly tired and my strike was suffering. By the time I finished the two gap tests on Sunday, I was frustrated more than anything. Here's a short version of the results:

image.png

In the second test, I did watch the results and make adjustments. This had a curious result: the G700s actually averaged 4 yards right of the target line. I think that's important. Blind tests have their place, but the fact that I can adjust my swing and hit target with a club also has to matter. I don't play blind on the course.

Even so, even in this second table, I think the gapping of the Sterlings is better than the G700s.

This past weekend, I also did a SkyTrak Skills Assessment with the two sets. In order to help even things out, I set it up to ask for shots from 110–190 yards in 10-yard increments. Doing it this way ensured that I would have in-between shots with both sets.

There's a little issue with the data here: while doing the Sterling test (which I did second), I hit a shank. Ultimately, I decided that shanks are a stupid way to evaluate a club (unless I had a pronounced tendency to shank one set and not the other). So I deleted those shots and rehit them. Unfortunately, I hadn't done the same with the G700s, and I had two shanks at the 140 distance which really inflated my score there.

But even with the shanks in the G700 data, the PINGs won this head-to-head battle:

The G700s:

image.png

And the Sterlings:

image.png

Even so, there are stats here that favor the Sterlings. Dispersion remains tighter with the single-length irons. The G700s have far more left-right variability from shot to shot, whereas the Sterlings in general keep that number in the single figures. And on average, the Sterlings finished closer to the hole—which is kinda the point, right?

• Like 4

Thanks for the update.  When I played single length irons I felt like the biggest advantage was distance control.  I remember having a round with 11 birdie putts inside 10 feet.  I missed every single putt for what it's worth and I still shot like an 80.  I went all in and didn't have the club head speed to hit anything above the 6 iron.  If I did it all over again I'd go single length for LW - 6 and variable for everything else.  Keep it up....this is the year!

• Like 2

Top row: 7 iron swing from July 2018 as I began my review of the G700 irons.

Bottom row: this morning, with a GW.

pixlr_20200321151736759.jpg

I've got opinions, but tell me what you see.

Your center mass is in a far better position; not sitting back you’re able to rotate far better along your axis. Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1