GolfSpy MPR

MPR: The Single Digit Project

Our Sponsors

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'm still awaiting Arccos's revision to my course's layout; I'm giving them another couple of days (it'll then be a month since I contacted them) until I send a check-in email to see if they're going to do anything with it.

Their current settings for my course are kinda killing me right now. I plugged my course rating and slope, along with my scores, into an online handicap calculator, and it gave me a 13ish handicap, which seems fair. I'm currently 86 over par for 99 holes, or about 15 over for every 18 holes.

8T2LaiUrsaqmIbyUv3--Yc08HSgvIw6dl-L7YW1w

And while I've acknowledged that my course is short (the back tees are only 6,100), Arccos still is not differentiating any sets of tees and thinks the blue tees are only 5,100 yards. I'm not sure what rating and slope it's using, but it's giving me an 18.2 handicap now, which would be about 6 shot increase over the end of last year.

Have you gotten in touch with Arccos about it? They're really good about fixing any issues you might have with your course. Usually need a photo of your scorecard to send once they get back with you, but they've been really helpful to me. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Have you gotten in touch with Arccos about it? They're really good about fixing any issues you might have with your course. Usually need a photo of your scorecard to send once they get back with you, but they've been really helpful to me. 

Yep, like I was saying, I sent them all the course info about a month ago. They confirmed they received it in an email, but they've not made any adjustments yet.

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero, 10.5°, Project X EvenFlow Blue 65
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:ping-small: G700 5–PW, blue dot, Modus3 105
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:cleveland-small: RTX-3 CB 54° and 60°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab R Ball, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

The good news: Arccos replied yesterday and got my course information straightened. So far, everything looks pretty good.
The OK news: I had a deeply mediocre nine holes this morning (10 over), and my Arccos handicap dropped to 17.8, so it looks like the updated course data should help my pursuit of a single digit handicap.
The bad news: I had my worst ball-striking round that I can remember. I lost any feel for the low point of my swing and hit virtually every single full swing shot fat today. And not just a little fat: 4-6 inches behind the ball.
The good news: I was money once I got close to the green. Check out my Arccos handicaps for today's nine:
EZl_SGkWoAoZrn0?format=png&name=large
I think I had 14 putts today, including some really nice midrangers that fell. So if I could make a full swing and advance the ball with even a moderate amount of success, without my short game deciding to abandon me then, I'd be in good shape.

This was your first round post-Planemate use, right?
Your ball-striking struggle is interesting to say the least if that’s the case. I wonder if you’re kind of between “feels” if that makes sense?
Keep at it and don’t be discouraged by one stretch of 9 holes.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small:Great Big Bertha Epic, 10.5, Project X HZRDOUS 55g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: California Monterey 1.5, Superstroke Flatso 1.0 grip

:SuperSpeed:

34 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

This was your first round post-Planemate use, right?
Your ball-striking struggle is interesting to say the least if that’s the case. I wonder if you’re kind of between “feels” if that makes sense?
Keep at it and don’t be discouraged by one stretch of 9 holes.

This was exactly my thought. I'm slowly working through the PlaneMate protocols, which build up from partial swings. So far, I've not used any band other than the short pitch shot one. So I'm not shocked to have my full swing be confused by the mix of ideas.

• Like 3

Keep up the great stuff though! This is extremely helpful, especially for someone like me. I have gone back and forth on getting the Planemate but had decided to get the price cut PXG. Decided against that so maybe I will see how you get on and try the Planemate out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

An interesting development with the PlaneMate, and one I'm hoping isn't going to be a serious problem. Saturday, I did a bunch of PlaneMate practice. It was the first time I had done full swings with the PlaneMate, and I was amazed by the difference in my swing:

That night, I was awakened by a deep soreness in my chest (left pectoral). Didn't think a ton of it, went back to sleep.

Last night, I took a few quick swings with the PlaneMate in the garage. When I went inside, my chest was in severe pain. I'm thinking a strained a pec. Looking at the slo mo of my swing before and after the PlaneMate, there seems to be some possible explanation. Before, as I'm following through on my shot, my lead elbow would begin to hinge (and thus start absorbing some of the speed of the swing) earlier. Essentially, I'd reach the full extension of my arms at follow through, then they'd begin to fold, as I'd turn through into a finish.

With the PlaneMate, I hold my arms at full extension longer; they really don't begin to fold until my torso stops rotating. So that left pec (already at full extension) is absorbing a lot more of the swing's remaining speed.

Some of that is visible in these screen caps. In the swing on the left (without the PM), my left elbow remains in front of me; on the right, my elbow is extended behind my shoulder.

chestpain.jpg

The pain subsided last night and hasn't returned today, but I'm likely going to baby it for the next couple of days.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

An interesting development with the PlaneMate, and one I'm hoping isn't going to be a serious problem. Saturday, I did a bunch of PlaneMate practice. It was the first time I had done full swings with the PlaneMate, and I was amazed by the difference in my swing:

That night, I was awakened by a deep soreness in my chest (left pectoral). Didn't think a ton of it, went back to sleep.

Last night, I took a few quick swings with the PlaneMate in the garage. When I went inside, my chest was in severe pain. I'm thinking a strained a pec. Looking at the slo mo of my swing before and after the PlaneMate, there seems to be some possible explanation. Before, as I'm following through on my shot, my lead elbow would begin to hinge (and thus start absorbing some of the speed of the swing) earlier. Essentially, I'd reach the full extension of my arms at follow through, then they'd begin to fold, as I'd turn through into a finish.

With the PlaneMate, I hold my arms at full extension longer; they really don't begin to fold until my torso stops rotating. So that left pec (already at full extension) is absorbing a lot more of the swing's remaining speed.

Some of that is visible in these screen caps. In the swing on the left (without the PM), my left elbow remains in front of me; on the right, my elbow is extended behind my shoulder.

image.png

The pain subsided last night and hasn't returned today, but I'm likely going to baby it for the next couple of days.

Swing is looking great man 

• Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Fujikura and Nippon fan. Connoisseur of grips.

Updated 5/26/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Nippon Zelos 7 Hybrid S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  :scotty-small: Squareback 1 - Sense Grips S1

Current Putter Collection:EVNROLL: ER10 Outback,  :bettinardi-small: 2017 Studio Stock 3, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

49 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

image.png

Hopefully just a little tender for being used differently.  I know when I start doing different workouts I get pretty sore for the next day or two as my body remembers what it's like work out.  🥴

It's kind of amazing how different that looks.  Will be real interesting to see some on course swings after this.  I had been working for a while to get into a different position at the top of my backswing and I feel like I just actually started to do it on the course this year.  Once I get on the course I don't really think about my swing, so I get why its takes time.  Seems like this might be a great tool though from your early results.

• Like 3

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4:  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6X

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

Sorry to hear about the pec pain, but, man, does that swing look GOOD! As was once said by a great man on SNL, “It’s not how you feel, it’s how you look!”

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

I had that same pec pain once as well and I feel it came from playing everyday and practicing also. I would come in so steep that I was pounding that left pec and I didn’t recover for months. Hope you get it straightened out. 

• Like 3

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

Might be how abruptly the swing is stopped by the band. Deceleration of your momentum makes a lot of sense in my mind. I often have a lot of pec tightness after I do a lot of swings. Normally just grab a tennis ball and find the knots. Hurts like the Dickens but normally feel better afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

EZl_SGkWoAoZrn0?format=png&name=large

I’m so jealous of your short game! I’m having the opposite problem, I play skytrak virtual golf way too much and can shoot single digit on a 6500 yard virtual course with auto putting enabled pretty consistently, but I have absolutely no feel for pitching, chipping, or putting on a real golf course:

IMG_2180.PNG

I shot an 88 with 5 “2 chips” and 6 “3 putts” on Sunday. I had a 4ft birdie putt lip out downhill that ended up a 3 putt bogie. It seems like when something is firing the other part is breaking down!

• Like 2

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

36 minutes ago, Grit Golf said:

I’m so jealous of your short game! I’m having the opposite problem, I play skytrak virtual golf way too much and can shoot single digit on a 6500 yard virtual course with auto putting enabled pretty consistently, but I have absolutely no feel for pitching, chipping, or putting on a real golf course:

IMG_2180.PNG

I shot an 88 with 5 “2 chips” and 6 “3 putts” on Sunday. I had a 4ft birdie putt lip out downhill that ended up a 3 putt bogie. It seems like when something is firing the other part is breaking down!

Need a scramble partner?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Whoa that's quick change!   Swing is looking good!  I would venture to say as you progress towards the full swing with the trainer the consistency you had with the short game will find it's way into the full swing.  Looking forward to the results!

• Like 3

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: BXS

Romans 10:9