GolfSpy MPR

MPR: The Single Digit Project

Our Sponsors

On 7/28/2020 at 10:46 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'm way, way behind in updates here, but as of this morning's nine hole round, Arccos gives me the following handicap:

image.png

I've got a poll up on Twitter, but I'll ask here as well: what do you count as a single digit handicap? Anything under 10? Under 9.4 (so it rounds down to 9)? Or nothing higher than 9.0?

In any case, my game has been as solid as it's ever been. Today's round was a 5-over 40, and that was with an OB ball (by two feet!) on the 5th hole. Still struggling with off the tee, but I'm putting light's out (better than scratch, in Arccos's judgment). Very interested to see how swapping out irons (for the Sub 70 699 Pro test) changes my approach numbers.

Well that was soon 

• Like 2

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

MGS Fantasy football league

Driver :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania's turnpike as well as around Baltimore, Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

Looking forward to a detailed update, congrats on the great progress this season! How much of the gains would you attribute to ball striking improvements from the PlaneMate on full swings vs chipping/short game? 

• Like 1

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*, 5-6 FWY at 17*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/5H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 5-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:taylormade-small: TP Berwick

7 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Looking forward to a detailed update, congrats on the great progress this season! How much of the gains would you attribute to ball striking improvements from the PlaneMate on full swings vs chipping/short game? 

Short answer: it's not a ton yet, because I've honestly not been doing much practice for the last month or so. I've played a lot of rounds, but I don't exactly recall the last time I had a dedicated garage session for practice.

The best part of my game by a mile has been my putting, which Arccos rates right now as better than scratch (+1.1). I'm averaging just under 32 putts per round, with a 31% 1-putt percentage.

The next best component of my game has been my chipping, but I want to get back to using the PlaneMate to continue to improve there. Ironically, I think the PlaneMate has actually made some of my pitches less good, but not through its own fault. Having built up a table of wedge distances with different swings, as the season has gone on, I'm finding that table to be less accurate: I'm hitting most of my wedges a bit further than what my table suggests. I think this is in part do to better contact, some of which is attributable to the better pattern from the PlaneMate.

• Like 4

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 70 X
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
Currently testing: :Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:cleveland-small: RTX-3 CB 54° and 60°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Do you keep a regular handicap or just an Arccos handicap?

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-G

:cleveland-small: - CBX 52 and 56

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

27 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Do you keep a regular handicap or just an Arccos handicap?

Just Arccos. I just checked this week into getting a USGA handicap. Can someone explain why you have to have a participating home course to have a handicap? My local course isn't on the list, so I'm pretty much excluded from getting an official number.

13 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Just Arccos. I just checked this week into getting a USGA handicap. Can someone explain why you have to have a participating home course to have a handicap? My local course isn't on the list, so I'm pretty much excluded from getting an official number.

Look for an e-club. We have one in Hawaii, run by the HSGA. I think the Grint is an e-club and that's how their handicaps are deemed legit?

Edit: https://pipestonecreekgc.com/join-e-club/

• Like 2

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

5 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Look for an e-club. We have one in Hawaii, run by the HSGA. I think the Grint is an e-club and that's how their handicaps are deemed legit?

Edit: https://pipestonecreekgc.com/join-e-club/

Yeah, I think you're right. At least that's how I understand it.

• Like 1

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-3) :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52° & 60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

I have mine through the Grint. I had same problem as you and chose the Grint. They have a new purchase policy dont remember the exact total but want to say it's like $15 a year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

OK, time for a status update. And we'll start with the topline, which is confusion. I've either reached my goal, or I'm about where I've been for a season. According to Arccos, after last night's league match, this is where I stand:

image.png

Honestly, I'm stoked about this. I've played 36 (mostly 9-hole) rounds on Arccos this season. The first handicap it assigned me was 23 (winter rust!), and I've consistently worked it down to the current 9.1.

The confusion (as I've mentioned above) is that this is not a USGA official number, and I'm finding that most online tools have inaccurate information about our course. On the recommendation of many of you here, I also went ahead and loaded up my scores into The Grint. I haven't yet paid for a subscription ($20) to get an official handicap, but it's currently showing me in the 12–14 range.

I'm assuming the differences at attributable to course rating and slope. Earlier this year, I submitted a series of corrections to Arccos, including the yardage and rating/slope from my course's website (http://gogebiccountryclub.com/course/).

On its website, my course is:

• 6,030 yards long from the back tee
  • Rated 67/113

The Grint lists my course at:

• 5,782 yards long
  • Rated 68.2/115

Now, I have zero idea how or when the course rating for our course was established. I know that our course is short, but I've played with some good golfers. I don't see that a scratch player would ordinarily shoot 67 here. But maybe I'm wrong.

So all told, my handicap is somewhere between 9 and 14.

One solution: I need to try to play a few more rounds at courses other than my home course. Perhaps I'll aim to take advantage of fall rates when those start going into effect.

As for my game itself: it has been clear that putting has been the strongest aspect of my game this season.

image.png

I will attribute a lot of this success to spending quality time with my PuttOut. I have found a pretty direct correlation between time spent using my PuttOut and my best seasons of putting.

Wedge play has, for the most part, been improved since last season as well. The clock system has made my much more effective from 25–90 yards, though I'm due to re-calibrate my yardages. I've found that as the season has gone on, I'm having to make adjustments to the chart I have taped to my rangefinder. I think it's a combination of drier conditions on the course and improved striking by me, but my yardage chart is shorter than reality right now.

Approach play has a new wrinkle, since I'm now part of the Sub 70 699 Pro iron test. So far, I've played an 18-hole round irons-only (as part of the Cobra Challenge) and my 9-hole league match last night. The early returns are positive. They are an indisputable step up in feel. I've got more data-collecting to do, but I've got some optimism that on course, I'll strike them better than I did the giant G700s. Last night was a very positive sign: I didn't miss a single green short. I doubt I've ever done that in any round of my life before. I still need to tighten my dispersion just a bit. Greens are hard to hit at our course (they are very small and almost all sitting on domes that reject any imprecision).

Off the tee continues to be the bane of my game. The stats here are a bit skewed; we have a lot of doglegs and tight driving holes at our course that eliminate driver for me. For instance, our second hole is only 267 yards (par 4), but it's a full 90° dogleg. I'm not hitting more than a 9-iron off the tee to reach the middle of the dogleg. But I don't think Arccos knows that, and so it always thinks I'm hitting lame 130 yard drives on an easy hole.

Be that as it may, my new driver combination is improving: the Epic Flash Sub Zero with the Aldila Rogue White 80X. When it's on, I've hit some of my best drives ever: last night in league, I had several good ones for me, including one that went 280. But that remains a work in progress.

So here I am: I'm either at my goal or not. Either way, I see routes for additional improvement, and the grind continues.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

OK, time for a status update. And we'll start with the topline, which is confusion. I've either reached my goal, or I'm about where I've been for a season. According to Arccos, after last night's league match, this is where I stand:

image.png

Honestly, I'm stoked about this. I've played 36 (mostly 9-hole) rounds on Arccos this season. The first handicap it assigned me was 23 (winter rust!), and I've consistently worked it down to the current 9.1.

The confusion (as I've mentioned above) is that this is not a USGA official number, and I'm finding that most online tools have inaccurate information about our course. On the recommendation of many of you here, I also went ahead and loaded up my scores into The Grint. I haven't yet paid for a subscription ($20) to get an official handicap, but it's currently showing me in the 12–14 range.

I'm assuming the differences at attributable to course rating and slope. Earlier this year, I submitted a series of corrections to Arccos, including the yardage and rating/slope from my course's website (http://gogebiccountryclub.com/course/).

• Rated 67/113

• 5,782 yards long
  • Rated 68.2/115

Now, I have zero idea how or when the course rating for our course was established. I know that our course is short, but I've played with some good golfers. I don't see that a scratch player would ordinarily shoot 67 here. But maybe I'm wrong.

One solution: I need to try to play a few more rounds at courses other than my home course. Perhaps I'll aim to take advantage of fall rates when those start going into effect.

As for my game itself: it has been clear that putting has been the strongest aspect of my game this season.

image.png

I will attribute a lot of this success to spending quality time with my PuttOut. I have found a pretty direct correlation between time spent using my PuttOut and my best seasons of putting.

Wedge play has, for the most part, been improved since last season as well. The clock system has made my much more effective from 25–90 yards, though I'm due to re-calibrate my yardages. I've found that as the season has gone on, I'm having to make adjustments to the chart I have taped to my rangefinder. I think it's a combination of drier conditions on the course and improved striking by me, but my yardage chart is shorter than reality right now.

Approach play has a new wrinkle, since I'm now part of the Sub 70 699 Pro iron test. So far, I've played an 18-hole round irons-only (as part of the Cobra Challenge) and my 9-hole league match last night. The early returns are positive. They are an indisputable step up in feel. I've got more data-collecting to do, but I've got some optimism that on course, I'll strike them better than I did the giant G700s. Last night was a very positive sign: I didn't miss a single green short. I doubt I've ever done that in any round of my life before. I still need to tighten my dispersion just a bit. Greens are hard to hit at our course (they are very small and almost all sitting on domes that reject any imprecision).

Off the tee continues to be the bane of my game. The stats here are a bit skewed; we have a lot of doglegs and tight driving holes at our course that eliminate driver for me. For instance, our second hole is only 267 yards (par 4), but it's a full 90° dogleg. I'm not hitting more than a 9-iron off the tee to reach the middle of the dogleg. But I don't think Arccos knows that, and so it always thinks I'm hitting lame 130 yard drives on an easy hole.

Be that as it may, my new driver combination is improving: the Epic Flash Sub Zero with the Aldila Rogue White 80X. When it's on, I've hit some of my best drives ever: last night in league, I had several good ones for me, including one that went 280. But that remains a work in progress.

So here I am: I'm either at my goal or not. Either way, I see routes for additional improvement, and the grind continues.

I can echo some of your confusion with course/slope ratings. We've got a few courses around here that are admittedly short, but suuuper narrow. They're all listed a lot easier than I would think they should be. I don't know near enough how they come to rank courses, but it almost feels like they don't do a great job rating certain types of courses.

• Like 2

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

7 hours ago, ncwoz said:

I can echo some of your confusion with course/slope ratings. We've got a few courses around here that are admittedly short, but suuuper narrow. They're all listed a lot easier than I would think they should be. I don't know near enough how they come to rank courses, but it almost feels like they don't do a great job rating certain types of courses.

Some of the ratings here have to be so, so old. Playing Meadows was like a breathe of fresh air - so much room off the tee. Miss to 5 yards either side at some courses around here and you're dead. 

Or, like today, put the ball on the fairway 220 yards off the tee and still have to hit under branches with your approach.

• Like 2

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 11.3 (Last Updated Sept. 20, 2020)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
19° Driving Iron: :tour-edge: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Tungsten, UST Recoil 670 F4, Tour Edge/Lamkin R.E.L.
5-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

8 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

image.png

• Rated 67/113

• 5,782 yards long
  • Rated 68.2/115

image.png

Awesome improvement. And so jealous of your putting. 

• Like 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 11.3 (Last Updated Sept. 20, 2020)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
19° Driving Iron: :tour-edge: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Tungsten, UST Recoil 670 F4, Tour Edge/Lamkin R.E.L.
5-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

19 minutes ago, edingc said:

Some of the ratings here have to be so, so old. Playing Meadows was like a breathe of fresh air - so much room off the tee. Miss to 5 yards either side at some courses around here and you're dead. 

Or, like today, put the ball on the fairway 220 yards off the tee and still have to hit under branches with your approach.

Oh man, couldn't agree more. Every time I play Gracewil East I get to the 5th hole and just shake my head. 405 par 4 with what feels like a 20 yard wide fairway, heavy brush, trees, and marsh 2 paces off the fairway... I really don't like that hole haha

• Like 1

Right Handed

image.png.9498f57fb0be8b36670f917a8f65a447.png
  • Rated 67/113
  • 5,782 yards long
  • Rated 68.2/115
image.png.832822ea46e672934a68d9c695894036.png
Do you have stats for your putting prior to using the Putt Out? I would love to know the change is % of your 1, 2 and 3 putts. Also would love to know if you're holing longer putts more often.

• Like 1

Just my experience....I used the Putt Out this winter to work mostly on hitting the sweet spot more often.  My putting improved dramatically.....and not how I expected.  My distance control became better than I have ever experienced.  I judge putts as missed by either speed or read....and it's usually read.   

• Like 2

:cobra-small: F8 Driver...10.5 degree..Reg

:taylormade-small:  M1 5 Wood....19 (lofted down  to 17 degree) ....Reg

:Sub70:  939 4h...Reg

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ Forged  4i-AW ...Reg

:cleveland-small: 58 deg RX-3

Kirkland FS1 putter

1 hour ago, tchat07 said:

Do you have stats for your putting prior to using the Putt Out? I would love to know the change is % of your 1, 2 and 3 putts. Also would love to know if you're holing longer putts more often.

When I'm back on a computer (rather than my phone), I'll pull up the numbers year-by-year from Game Golf. I'm interested to see this comparison as well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

image.png

• Rated 67/113

• 5,782 yards long
  • Rated 68.2/115

image.png

That’s awesome! Having the short game as the best part is where the most strokes are made each round, so you’re in a great spot!

• Like 1

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

OK, @tchat07, here's the year-by-year summary from Game Golf. Because I play virtually all my golf at one course, the numbers should be directly comparable each year.

• Strokes lost to scratch: 1.64
  • Putts per hole: 1.82
  • 1P%: 28% | 2P%: 60% | 3P%: 11%

• Strokes lost to scratch: 2.03
  • Putts per hole: 1.76
  • 1P%: 31% | 2P%: 59% | 3P%: 9%

• Strokes lost to scratch: 3.07
  • Putts per hole: 1.81
  • 1P%: 29% | 2P%: 60% | 3P%: 11%

• Strokes lost to scratch: 2.45
  • Putts per hole: 1.78
  • 1P%: 30% | 2P%: 61% | 3P%: 9%

2020 (from Arccos rather than Game Golf)

• Strokes gained vs scratch: .5
  • Putts per hole: 1.7 (doesn't go to the hundredths place)
  • 1P%: 32% | 2P%: 61% | 3P%: 7%

So this year clearly is the outlier. By far, the biggest change is the reduction in three putts: essentially, the three putts were transferred into the one-putt category, which is a big swing. Some of Game Golf's numbers are hard to make sense of: my highest year for putts per hole is my best strokes gained year (2016).

• Like 1

OK, [mention=72268]tchat07[/mention], here's the year-by-year summary from Game Golf. Because I play virtually all my golf at one course, the numbers should be directly comparable each year.
  • Strokes lost to scratch: 1.64
  • Putts per hole: 1.82
  • 1P%: 28% | 2P%: 60% | 3P%: 11%
  • Strokes lost to scratch: 2.03
  • Putts per hole: 1.76
  • 1P%: 31% | 2P%: 59% | 3P%: 9%
  • Strokes lost to scratch: 3.07
  • Putts per hole: 1.81
  • 1P%: 29% | 2P%: 60% | 3P%: 11%
  • Strokes lost to scratch: 2.45
  • Putts per hole: 1.78
  • 1P%: 30% | 2P%: 61% | 3P%: 9%
2020 (from Arccos rather than Game Golf)
  • Strokes gained vs scratch: .5
  • Putts per hole: 1.7 (doesn't go to the hundredths place)
  • 1P%: 32% | 2P%: 61% | 3P%: 7%
So this year clearly is the outlier. By far, the biggest change is the reduction in three putts: essentially, the three putts were transferred into the one-putt category, which is a big swing. Some of Game Golf's numbers are hard to make sense of: my highest year for putts per hole is my best strokes gained year (2016).
Very interesting so basically a 2% swing from 3 putts to 1 putts has led to a 2.95 strokes gained difference. That's massive! Granted going from 3 putts to 1 putt is pretty impressive even if it's only 2% change.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tchat07 said:

Very interesting so basically a 2% swing from 3 putts to 1 putts has led to a 2.95 strokes gained difference. That's massive! Granted going from 3 putts to 1 putt is pretty impressive even if it's only 2% change.

I don't want to underestimate the degree to which shifting tracking software messes with the strokes gained numbers. For instance: Game Golf always told me that my approach game was the second-best part of my game (next to my putting); Arccos tells me it is a weakness relative to my handicap, that my approach play is holding me back.

I took Arccos's 1P/2P/3P splits and found that my total putts per hole is 1.75. That puts my current year very close to my 2017 numbers.

(I will say that I've always been pretty diligent with both Game Golf and Arccos at manually plotting my putts on the green, since neither is accurate enough to do that automatically.)

Doing a bit of googling, it looks like there's something to the idea that GG is overly harsh judging putting, while Arccos is somewhat more generous.

A couple takeaways from this discussion:

• You will be limited by what your tools can see.
  • Comparing numbers across stat-tracking platforms is probably a bad idea.
  • Using a single system to see if you're improving/regressing probably still makes sense.
  • In absolute terms this year, my putting has improved (fewer 3-putts, fewer overall putts). Realistically, it's probably on the level of a single-digit player.
  • No matter how good my putting is, I'll still always be looking at buying another putter, because putters are endlessly fascinating to me.
  • Like 2