Jump to content
GolfSpy MPR

MPR: The Single Digit Project

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Did my first work with foot spray powder this evening. Turns out that the swing changes I've begin to implement have resulted in a very consistent toe strike on full swings. Good to know, and another thing to dial in.

Also, I compress the snot out of foam practice balls:

IMG_20190125_211511.jpeg

(For those saying, "I thought you said you had a toe strike pattern?", this picture was from three pitch swings. At least I'm finding the center with those.)

when I first saw this picture I thought WTF is the size of ball you are using 😄

 

Read on to see its a foam ball.......phew!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Did my first work with foot spray powder this evening. Turns out that the swing changes I've begin to implement have resulted in a very consistent toe strike on full swings. Good to know, and another thing to dial in.
Also, I compress the snot out of foam practice balls:
IMG_20190125_211511.thumb.jpeg.7d4093c1ae70a289cb55dd9133c57866.jpeg
(For those saying, "I thought you said you had a toe strike pattern?", this picture was from three pitch swings. At least I'm finding the center with those.)

I was expecting you to be a brand ambassador for SuperSpeed no later than 10am on Monday.

Then I saw “foam ball”


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still subzero temps here, which discourages garage work. But I'm enjoying chipping with with SkyTrak. This morning, I set a new personal best: six 10-yard chips that finished a total of 12' 2" from the hole. I'll absolutely take that every time.Screenshot_20190209-094354.jpeg.6116a9d9fbf114129fa4b0fae75b0ef1.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you considered doing an online lesson or two in order to get a trained set of eyes on your swing?  I have been following Larry Cheung on Instagram and Youtube and I love his coaching style and thoughts on the swing. https://larrycheunggolf.com/

If I didn't have a local pro, I would definitely opt for online lessons with him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Have you considered doing an online lesson or two in order to get a trained set of eyes on your swing?  I have been following Larry Cheung on Instagram and Youtube and I love his coaching style and thoughts on the swing. https://larrycheunggolf.com/
If I didn't have a local pro, I would definitely opt for online lessons with him.
Good question. My answer is somewhere between "the thought has crossed my mind" and "I've seriously looked into it."

If I were to do it, I'd almost certainly set something up with the coach I've mentioned who's about an hour away. I really like his approach to the game, and I want him to end up as Kirke's coach. If I were to do it, I'd probably aim for some package of a combination of an in-person lesson at the beginning and end, with online lessons in between.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Good question. My answer is somewhere between "the thought has crossed my mind" and "I've seriously looked into it."

If I were to do it, I'd almost certainly set something up with the coach I've mentioned who's about an hour away. I really like his approach to the game, and I want him to end up as Kirke's coach. If I were to do it, I'd probably aim for some package of a combination of an in-person lesson at the beginning and end, with online lessons in between.

I really admire the work you're doing on your own. However, I think working with a coach, even just for a little bit, will help you build your personal toolkit to self diagnose and fix. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2019 at 10:59 AM, JohnSmalls said:

Just want to raise and hand and shout reverend.  This has helped me out tremendously off the tee.  Not sure if it's due to playing off the rack or not.  Definitely not saying it will help you @GolfSpy MPR, but I am a firm believer in ball placement for my own game.  

  

Looking forward in following your journey this year!  

If you poke around the Be Better Golf YouTube channel, one of the teachers he meets with advocated this as well. Especially if you want to hit up on the ball. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're still a long (long, long) way from golf in these parts, but I want to add something to my goals this year. The No Laying Up guys have a season-long challenge at their local muni that everyone in their group has to birdie each hole on the course during the season, or else they end up paying up in a bet. I'm no betting man, but I like the goal. So on my checklist for the season: birdie each hole at my local course once this season.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

We're still a long (long, long) way from golf in these parts, but I want to add something to my goals this year. The No Laying Up guys have a season-long challenge at their local muni that everyone in their group has to birdie each hole on the course during the season, or else they end up paying up in a bet. I'm no betting man, but I like the goal. So on my checklist for the season: birdie each hole at my local course once this season.

I listened to that NLU podcast and thought that would make a good goal. I had forgot about it though so I'm glad you mentioned it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I listened to that NLU podcast and thought that would make a good goal. I had forgot about it though so I'm glad you mentioned it.

Another good podcast to help ease you in your journey on the difficulty this can be is Chasing Scratch.  

I know you have difficulty getting to a range or course, but within the podcast they found an interesting approach that I believe came from College golf teams.  It seems like it puts more focus on your practice as well as pressure, which most don't seem to have when they are just hitting one ball after another or not giving much thought to their putts on a practice green.

Scratch Golf Practice Schedule.xlsx

Edited by juspoole
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm late to this thread but I'm intrigued. I'm also planning for this year to be a huge improvement year for my game.

I found a club about 5 minutes from my work and 10 minutes from my house that I have a meeting with this week to take a tour. If it works out I plan to take my lunch break and go hit balls whenever I don't have lunch meetings. Hopefully 3 times a week. 

I would love to get to a 15 handicap and break 90 a couple of times this year. Anything better than that is just gravy. Maybe I too will start a thread if I commit to joining this club. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bardle said:

I'm late to this thread but I'm intrigued. I'm also planning for this year to be a huge improvement year for my game.

I found a club about 5 minutes from my work and 10 minutes from my house that I have a meeting with this week to take a tour. If it works out I plan to take my lunch break and go hit balls whenever I don't have lunch meetings. Hopefully 3 times a week. 

I would love to get to a 15 handicap and break 90 a couple of times this year. Anything better than that is just gravy. Maybe I too will start a thread if I commit to joining this club. 

Yeah, this thread has me inspired as well. I spent so much of last summer completely lost in regards to my swing. Didn't get started down the right track until nearly middle of September, and then I only had four weeks of OK weather to play with. 

I'm lucky to have a driving range, putting green and sand trap/chipping practice area about a minute's drive from where I park at work. My hope this summer is to hit balls twice a week and chip/putt another two days. I'm trying to swing taking some vacation time every Tuesday morning throughout the summer as well to sneak in nine holes before work.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was doing some putting work last night. I aim for a straight-back-straight-through stroke, and as is common with that method, my prevailing tendency is a backstroke outside the line, and through stroke that cuts across the ball.

Inspired by the new putting mirror from PuttOut, I decided to hack together a putter gate. I have a mirror, so I drilled some holes in it that would hold my Balls of Steel (actual product name). Viola!

mirror1.jpg

mirror2.jpg

I think I posted about this some time before, but one thing I've been trying to figure out is how to accurately see the putting line. I use a laser level to align my putting mirror, so I know with certainty that it is aimed at the middle of the cup. And yet, when I stand over a put, it always looks like it's aimed left of the hole.

And I can't find any way of standing (outside of straddling the line, Sam Snead-style) that eliminates this illusion for me. I wanted to experiment with this more, to see if I could figure something out. So I set up my one-foot-more-than-a-yardstick right up to the hole:

ruler.jpg

Here's how bad this is for me: when I set up over this putt with the ruler, it can't possibly be the case that the line is left. And with the edge of the ruler right behind the ball, I know exactly how to set my putter square to that line. Yet everything in me tells me to aim my putter a couple degrees open to that line, because it somehow looks left to me.

Further evidence of this: I attached my SwingByte to my putter. Now, a SwingByte has no idea where you should aim; it bases all its data on a comparison to your address position. After playing with my aim for a while, I just went back to doing my normal putt. This is a typical SwingByte analysis:

SwingByte.jpg 

There are good things here. I like the tempo and the upward attack angle (though the shaft lean should be forward at impact). But the path cuts across the ball. I'm opening the face to the path, but it is still closed relative to my address position. What I've learned to do, apparently, is aim slightly to the right of the correct line, and then adjust at impact to close the face and start the ball on my intended line.

I'm pretty close to resigning myself to this being just how I putt. I'm not a poor putter (though there's room for improvement). But because I can't find any stance that makes the correct line look correct, and since I'm clearly making the compensation for my odd vision, I'm probably just going to work on dialing in the method I've got, rather than fighting it.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And now to post right over top of myself: I might also have learned something about my full swing. I recently acquired a version of the Smart Ball (essentially, an inflatable ball with a lanyard to keep it from getting away). When I got into my golf posture and attempted to grab the ball with my forearms, I found that the ball naturally hangs quite a bit more away from my body than my forearms want to hang. Especially with short irons, I think, my hand position is a bit too close to me. My hunch is that that address position constricts the room for the club to return back shallowly through impact, contributing to my tendency to stand the shaft up.

So here was an attempt to purposefully set up with my hands a bit more away from myself, imagining that I was grabbing the ball with my forearms during setup. I'm using a hickory-shafted niblick that was a gift from a church member, a club I keep in my office.

I'm happy with a lot of things here. It isn't much of a backswing, but the club is wedge-length. I'd like to see the club come even a bit more down through transition before it starts coming around. But it is (for me) not a steep angle for the shaft at impact.

Progress.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^^^^^

That's a good looking swing right there.  I was impressed with the lower body movement more than anything else.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jlukes said:

^^^^^^^^

That's a good looking swing right there.  I was impressed with the lower body movement more than anything else.

Thanks, @jlukes. That means a lot to me.

On the lower body movement: I've really been picking up a lot of useful information from your thread, so I want to thank you again for that. I likely need to get a face-on shot of my swing at some point.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found that I had to do a head cock to get the alignment look right. It's a slight left eyebrow away from the target and chin towards it.
Is that Evnroll face balanced? Are your tendencies the same I'd you did the same thing with more toe hang?
You also have quite the assortment of putters. Do they all line up the same way to you? I've always wondered how the alignment lines on a putter influence where you aim. Is that something Edel does in a fitting?


Sent from my SM-A600A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, romeopapazulu said:

I found that I had to do a head cock to get the alignment look right. It's a slight left eyebrow away from the target and chin towards it.
Is that Evnroll face balanced? Are your tendencies the same I'd you did the same thing with more toe hang?
You also have quite the assortment of putters. Do they all line up the same way to you? I've always wondered how the alignment lines on a putter influence where you aim. Is that something Edel does in a fitting?


Sent from my SM-A600A using MyGolfSpy mobile app
 

Great questions.

I think I've moved in just about every possible position, to no avail. I'll probably keep experimenting from time to time.

As for the putters: I need to try this again with the MLA. If any putter has a chance to help, it would seem like that one would.

And I'm very intrigued by the Edel fitting. Probably wouldn't be able to justify the cost of both of the fitting and the custom putter, but I have to imagine the fitting itself would be very informative.

The only thing that makes me skeptical that a particular alignment setup would fix the problem is that the line (whether mirror, ruler, or laser) will look left even before I have a putter in hand, just taking my stance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I was doing some putting work last night. I aim for a straight-back-straight-through stroke, and as is common with that method, my prevailing tendency is a backstroke outside the line, and through stroke that cuts across the ball.

 

I think I posted about this some time before, but one thing I've been trying to figure out is how to accurately see the putting line. I use a laser level to align my putting mirror, so I know with certainty that it is aimed at the middle of the cup. And yet, when I stand over a put, it always looks like it's aimed left of the hole.

 

While I know you are trying to do SBST,  it really isn't possible without some manipulation.  If you turn your shoulders the putter has to come inside the target line.  To accomplish SBST you would have to move your hands away from your body as you make the turn. I also have a tendency to move my putter outside the line.  A couple of things you can try is to put an object, like a sleeve of balls,  outside your putters path on the backstroke. Either you stay on the line/come inside or you hit the box.   The other think that may work is to hover your putter before the backstroke,  it engages the muscles and will keep the putter on the right path.

 

Seeing the line accurately is in my mind an important part of putting.  Your doubt will potentially cause you to manipulate the stroke to correct what you are seeing.   You can find a position that allow you to see the line correctly.   For me that is upright posture and off the ball.    Without a putter, setup to your line and adjust your posture up and down, move forward and back from the ball,  lift and lower your head, and tilt your head right and left.   You CAN find a position,  the question is are you willing to accept that position.   If so,  practice getting into that posture without a putter until you can do it repeatedly.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cnosil said:

Seeing the line accurately is in my mind an important part of putting.  Your doubt will potentially cause you to manipulate the stroke to correct what you are seeing.   You can find a position that allow you to see the line correctly.   For me that is upright posture and off the ball.    Without a putter, setup to your line and adjust your posture up and down, move forward and back from the ball,  lift and lower your head, and tilt your head right and left.   You CAN find a position,  the question is are you willing to accept that position.   If so,  practice getting into that posture without a putter until you can do it repeatedly.

Definitely appreciate the advice, and the confidence that I can see the line. Trust me when I say that I'm trying.

I have no expertise in vision, but I will note that I had glasses from the time I was five: the extra-thick, nerdy kind. I have always been massively near-sighted. After college, I got laser surgery. That gave me almost a decade of living without glasses, but my vision regressed, and by my late 20s, I was in glasses again. I have no idea if this is relevant at all, but it wouldn't surprise me if the extent of my poor vision might have some impact on my ability to align correctly.

I worked at this again last night. Once again, I used my laser to make sure everything was exactly in line. I aligned the 4-foot-stick to the hole, but this time, I backed the ball up to the 8-foot mark. I wanted to stand over the ball and get myself in a position where it looked like I should roll the ball over the ruler to make the putt.

The best I could do was moving my eyes in line with the ball, but leaning so my head was a foot-and-a-half behind the ball. I can't make a serious putting stroke from that position.

I came back upstairs, explaining my problem to my wife (she's patient). And she gave me an idea: what about standing over the putt on the left-handed side.

I immediately went back downstairs, telling my wife she was going to regret this because I was going to have to start assembling a lefty putter collection. Sure enough: if I stand over the ball left-handed, the line looks correct to me.

I then grabbed my Spider (which has a flattish back side) and rolled some putts left-handed. Since I ordinarily putt left-hand-low, the grip was normal. I kept forward pressing backwards 🙂. But I surprised myself at how many I was able to make from that side.

I'm probably not going to switch to putting left-handed this season. I mean, I'm crazy, but that crazy? (But if any lefties here have a decent mallet that's exiled to a closet....)

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...