TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rick Shiels YouTube Golf Open

FrogginBullfish

Rick Shiels announced he intends on putting together a Charity Golf Open for YouTube golf channels. It looks like he's hoping to get all the biggest channels first and then will bring in some of the smaller channels as well. Mark Crossfield's already declined the offer.

Curious what people think of the idea and whether you'd tune in or turn up to the event if/when it happens.

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

I can't say I have a ton of interest in watching something like that unless it were produced like an actual golf broadcast. I think I'd tune out rather quickly if done like a normal course vlog and I've already lost most interest in those anyway. The typical formula for course vlogs goes something like, "I'm on hole #X. It's a XXX yard par X. I'm hitting X and going to try for X shot shape over X obstacle." Then we watch the guy maybe or maybe not pull the shot off, rinse and repeat. Oh, and they often do this for every player in the group. It just gets old after a while.

I think it's far more interesting when you can move around the course between different players and get a sense for the actual competition - and even the pro broadcasts miss that sometimes.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

12 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Rick Shiels announced he intends on putting together a Charity Golf Open for YouTube golf channels. It looks like he's hoping to get all the biggest channels first and then will bring in some of the smaller channels as well. Mark Crossfield's already declined the offer.

Curious what people think of the idea and whether you'd tune in or turn up to the event if/when it happens.

any indication why?

I've only seen Rick Shiels tweeting that the combined viewing figures of the ones that have accepted (youtube subscribers) so far is 18Million.

Can you imagine what it 'might' look like during the game?.........everyone filming, everyone commentating, some live some recording, selfie city....it could be fun to watch or car crash tv if not organised.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Count me as interested.

As to why Crossfield isn't in: I like his content a lot. But it seems, just based on public actions, that Mark can be pretty thin-skinned, and he doesn't let grudges go. There is a long-standing rivalry between the Crossfield and Shiels sides of YouTube golf. They've taken turns taking shots at each other's content at times. Honestly, I would wish Crossfield would get over it in this case: I think having the Crossfield gang involved in something like this would make it considerably more entertaining.

As to what would make this better than the normal course vlogs: assuming that they're doing this right and blocking off a course for some time to film it, they can start to overcome one of the biggest weaknesses of even good golf vlogs: the inability to see where the shots actually go. Filming golf shots solely from the point of view of the shot is pretty worthless a lot of the time. Having extra cameras around near the landing areas of shots, if done correctly, could really help the production and watchability of something like this.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Mark has told people to check his Instagram when asked why he declined. I don't use Instagram so I don't know if he posted a story video explaining it but the only other possible thing he's pointing to is he's changed his bio to "Golf Coach, NOT a YouTuber ."

He also said in a Twitter reply that he'd make a video explaining why if people were interested, but not sure if he'll end up doing so. Least he won't until he's back from Abu Dhabi, as I don't think we're getting any daily vlogs while he's there.

What's interesting though is Dan Hendriksen has asked to play in the event, though I don't think he'd turn down the opportunity to play competitive golf anyway. Think he's probably one of the odds on favourites, if he does play, to win the event to be honest.

I think it's a great idea and glad it's being done to raise money for charity. That being said, I don't think it will be a success if they don't present it as a live broadcast in similar vein to an actual professional tournament. I don't, nor do I think many others will, have any interest in having to watch however many individual course vlogs from however many channels are there to get an idea of how the event is going/went.

I think the players should be mic'd up and a YouTube live show should be run through Rick's channel in an actual live golf broadcast format. If they want to bring cameras out to document for their own viewers later, I think that's fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Count me as somewhat interested.  I enjoy some of the videos that come out on the youtube golf channels that I subscribe to.  I really enjoy the TXG stuff, but they can be a bit long winded on their videos.  

As perseveringgolfer pointed out, it'll be very interesting to see how the flow of the "broadcast" is.

My other question, would be how on earth will they decide who's channel to put the content on?  I don't know exactly how the money aspect of youtube works, but I have to think someone who has a video with 18M views is going to get a decent check.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Count me as somewhat interested.  I enjoy some of the videos that come out on the youtube golf channels that I subscribe to.  I really enjoy the TXG stuff, but they can be a bit long winded on their videos.  
As perseveringgolfer pointed out, it'll be very interesting to see how the flow of the "broadcast" is.
My other question, would be how on earth will they decide who's channel to put the content on?  I don't know exactly how the money aspect of youtube works, but I have to think someone who has a video with 18M views is going to get a decent check.
Rick's channel for a live event. It's his idea, and he's putting the groundwork in to get the event going. Only right for it to go through his channel. Event is for charity anyway so any revenue from livestream and fan attendance would be going to charity.

I’ve watched just about every YouTube golf video ever made. My attention span is short so I’m a made for YouTube viewer. A live 4 hour video? I’m sure I’d watch bits and pieces but I’d rather play than watch.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

• 2 months later...

Rick's announced the date on social media today. May 6th at Formby Hall in support of Prostate Cancer UK.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 8:42 PM, FrogginBullfish said:

Rick's announced the date on social media today. May 6th at Formby Hall in support of Prostate Cancer UK.

Forgetting the fact that I dislike Shiels a lot after meeting him in person - I can barely watch Masters or Ryder Cup without wanting to go out and play so it's a "no" from me 🙂
Tho if you're into reality TV there may be drama as the "golf influencers" scene in the UK is like watching Jersey Shore or some OC Housewives with the amount of bitching and backstabbing 🙂

On 1/16/2019 at 6:32 PM, juspoole said:

About $200 if they get over 15M from ads. Youtube changed how their monetization works as back few years ago it would have brought ~15-17k. 

Forgetting the fact that I dislike Shiels a lot after meeting him in person

What happened?

3 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Forgetting the fact that I dislike Shiels a lot after meeting him in person

What happened?

Copy / paste from another topic about him:

"I've had the unpleasantness of meeting Shiels. He was an absolute *******.
Got paid ~$5k for a corporate golf day (clinic, 3 holes with each of the groups we've had and produce a video from the event). Clinic was ok. Then during the round he didn't want to play - just wanted to hit drivers as he was 'going through swing changes' in his short game and it was 'off brand' for him to play badly. Never released the video to his audience as it wasn't good enough. Him and his agent ghosted the company after that. What a disgrace."

• 1 month later...

Looks like a fellow named Mike Dawson was the winner of the event with 36 Stableford points. Plays off 8, shot 81 for a net 73.

Finchy came second on 34 points. Shot 4 under 68.

Matt Fryer and Rob Potter tied 3rd on 33 points. Fryer shot 75 and Potter shot 85, playing off 11, for a net 76.

Rick came in the middle of the field with 28 points. Shot 80.

Brain fart, Potter played off 9.

10 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Looks like a fellow named Mike Dawson was the winner of the event with 36 Stableford points. Plays off 8, shot 81 for a net 73.

Finchy came second on 34 points. Shot 4 under 68.

Matt Fryer and Rob Potter tied 3rd on 33 points. Fryer shot 75 and Potter shot 85, playing off 11, for a net 76.

Rick came in the middle of the field with 28 points. Shot 80.

Looks like he didnt score on the 9th so the 68 was for 17 holes. If we 'give' him a par on that hole he would be 72 which is still very good.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I'm interesting to see what others think about this. Rick was pushing this as to 'find out who the best golfer on YT is' so is anyone disappointed at the results? Like separate the field into the pros and the ams if you're going to do this that way because using the system they did does nothing of the sort. Hell, playing off of the 10 I would have got I probably could have been in contention considering the way it was structured.

I'm not saying they didn't raise a lot of money for a cause, and that's nice, but if the stated goal was to play a tournament to find the best player on youtube, they didn't hit that mark at all. Not even close.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Ah, I only checked the total scores so didn't see there was no score on the 9th. Wonder why that happened...

Looks like he didnt score on the 9th so the 68 was for 17 holes. If we 'give' him a par on that hole he would be 72 which is still very good.

Winner got a YT Golfer of the Year trophy and seems there were some team events going on alongside the main scoring. I've got no issue with an amateur winning the event. There's a bunch of channels out there that don't include pros or scratch players, so labeling someone as YT Golfer of the Year without including the golf YouTubers who carry a handicap would be a bit daft, imo.

I'm interesting to see what others think about this. Rick was pushing this as to 'find out who the best golfer on YT is' so is anyone disappointed at the results? Like separate the field into the pros and the ams if you're going to do this that way because using the system they did does nothing of the sort. Hell, playing off of the 10 I would have got I probably could have been in contention considering the way it was structured.
I'm not saying they didn't raise a lot of money for a cause, and that's nice, but if the stated goal was to play a tournament to find the best player on youtube, they didn't hit that mark at all. Not even close.

24 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Winner got a YT Golfer of the Year trophy and seems there were some team events going on alongside the main scoring. I've got no issue with an amateur winning the event. There's a bunch of channels out there that don't include pros or scratch players, so labeling someone as YT Golfer of the Year without including the golf YouTubers who carry a handicap would be a bit daft, imo.

I guess then you should split the field into two flights, scratch or better and handicap. Two trophies, seems reasonable.

I mean, obviously this was more a collective effort to promote other golf YouTubers and social media folks, up some following counts so everyone goes up, and raise some money. The tournament is second to all that, but if you're going to award a winner, just split them and declare two

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like this was a great event...  especially for the first year and all the crazy logistics.  I'm sure they learned lots and will make improvements moving forward.  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!