TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ping's new adjustable length putter

tony@CIC

I'm surprised that there's not much talk here about Ping's new adjustable length(34"-36") Sigma putter. I saw it on the back cover of Golf magazine. It seems a bit gimmicky for Ping. I would think those spending money for a Ping putter would get fit for the right length or already know what length they need. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I think it is comparable to adjustable loft or trajectory on a driver. Most people won't use it, but it is helpful for tinkerers. I really doubt it will take off, but it is a nice marketing point.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

33 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I'm surprised that there's not much talk here about Ping's new adjustable length(34"-36") Sigma putter. I saw it on the back cover of Golf magazine. It seems a bit gimmicky for Ping. I would think those spending money for a Ping putter would get fit for the right length or already know what length they need. 

I'm saving my talk for after I see them in person, demo them and get to talk to some of the PING people about them next week.  I'll definitely have some info on them to share. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm a little luke-warm on it. Just like @tony@CIC stated, it seems a little gimmicky and not like PING at all. I haven't seen one of these in person yet, but it looks like a similar feature I've seen on demo putters that retailers have so they can do length fitting-but on a putter you would use..? I wonder how much extra weight it adds..? I think this kind of goes against PING's core philosophy of getting fitted at a retailer. Now you can just grab one and self-adjust apparently...hmmmm

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Surprised people haven’t seen one; they have been in stores for months.

The system works well and feels just as stable as a normal shaft. I haven’t pulled a grip but replacing the grip should be possible. The shaft has markings to allow you to set the length to 1/4” increments. The new approach is an advancement over their previous adjustable shaft. You use a key like in a driver shaft and turn it to change the length.

The advantage for retailers is that you don’t have to stock or cut/extend something you have in stock. They can fit you and adjust the length right there.

Adjustable clubs are a tool for the fitters and to help minimize store inventory. Tinkerers just get an added benefit.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This isn't the first adjustable putter from Ping. They're Karsten TR putter also had an adjustable shaft that allowed it to go from 31"-38".

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

With Ping taking so much pride in being an engineering company, I think it fits their brand ethos quite well.  Engineers need a new project to work on sometimes.  Why not an adjustable putter?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I know this might be over simplifying things a bit but can you not just move your hands up and down the grip to change the length???? The added mechanism seems a little gimmicky to me. We golfers are much to smart for that!

IMG_1767.thumb.PNG.89253fef92362604f322a596e67cf09d.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I could see it being beneficial because instead of having to cut the shaft to length, they can just make 1 length putter and then the user can adjust it to whatever length they want.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

3 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

I know this might be over simply things a bit but can you not just move your hands up and down the grip to change the length???? The added mechanism seems a little gimmicky to me. We golfers are much to smart for that!

IMG_1767.PNG

Apparently, the answer is a big fat NO. 😄

michelle wie.jpg

Edited by fixyurdivot

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

This just seems like smart business. It cuts down on parts and as a buyer I get my putter now if I fit into a black dot.

Krank Formula X Veylix Alpina 573 45" 9*

:755178188_TourEdge:CBX 3 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 43" 15*

Krank Formula X 5 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 42" 18*

Wishon Golf 775HS 3H Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid X-Flex  39.75" 21*

Wishon Golf 585HI 3DI  same shaft as irons 38.25" 21*

Wishon Golf 575 MMC Forged 5-A N.S.Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Wishon Golf Micro-Groove HM S, L same shaft as irons 

:EVNROLL: ER7B Gravity Grip 35"

Apparently, the answer is a big fat NO. 
1336845686_michellewie.jpg.a8f40ba1ecf5de1d0832bebfb0dcc483.jpg

So how did that work out for Wie?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I spent a ton of time demo’ing these putters at two stores in Atlanta back when I was up there in November. The look and feel on these putters is great, and as has highlighted, the adjustable shaft is more for clubfitters and to reduce the inventory so stores only have to carry one of each model and then you can adjust the length to each golfer and that’s all you need.

Beyond all the emphasis on something you’ll probably have adjusted even before you buy it, the look and feel of these putters is really nice. I rolled them pretty well and they are a lot cheaper than some of your higher end putters with similar quality.

Would I put one of these in my bag if I was considering buying a new putter? Yes. Out of the dozens of different putters I tested, the PING was in my top 3 of choices, behind the Cleveland and the Scotty Cameron.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I've tested several of the Sigma 2 line at the local PING fitter's pro shop. I really liked the feel of several different putters but I'm kind of leaning toward getting a Kushin Sigma G from the previous version.

The PING pro was telling me how much time it was going to save him with the adjustable length putters. He made it sound like regripping one for someone after a fitting would be a thing of the past and replacing the grip when they wear out would be pretty easy to do. I will say it was super easy to adjust them by turning a provided tool a few times. It made testing each of the different heads at my desired length super easy to do. 

I can see a huge benefit to a pro shop only having to carry one of each and being able to adjust the length to suit each individual golfer. 

I do wonder if purchasing one would mean when you "have" to replace the putting grip at some point due to wear you'd only be able to replace it with a PING grip. (The tool screws into the end of the grip) 

:callaway-small: Rogue LS 9° Driver, X stiff KuroKage
:ping-small: G410 17° & 19° hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  JPX-921 Tours 4 iron thru PW, Modus 105 X stiff
:mizuno-small:  S18 50°, 56° & 60°
 :bettinardi-1: Single Stock #3 34.5" putter

2019 MSG Forum Tester- Bridgestone e12

2021 Callaway Epic Max LS Driver Test

I've had two of the previous gen adjustable putters from ping, as a tinkerer I love the ability and also learned that 32

inches is about perfect length for me.  The test of course finding putters that length, most of the time even at large stores pgass and the like 33 are hard to find at well under 6 feet tall I appreciate the adjustability.  my .02

I think these putters are brilliant in design and hopefully it will mean more people get a putter that is the proper length for them rather than everyone having 35" putters. Unless you already know what length you need or get fitted, anyone who buys one of these putters ought to take some time to try different lengths. I'll bet those who do will find themselves discovering a more comfortable length and holing more putts.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• 1 month later...

I have yet to see one of these in the store. I guess I need to drive around and check the local shops. I would love to have one of those shafts to put into my current putter (not a ping) so that I can play around with length. 

I feel like grip replacement would be difficult but who knows? 

Driver: Taylormade M3 440cc 9* 45.25" Diamana D+ 70 x-flex

3w - Taylormade RBZ stage 2 tour 14.5* Fujikura 70 s-flex std length

Hybrid - Mizuno JPX 850 s-flex std length. 

Irons: Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 4-PW. Project X 6.5 flighted shafts ⅜" gapping. 39.25" 5 iron 2* upright

Wedges- Titlist Vokey SM6 51*, 55*, 59* 2* upright

Putter - Machine M10 adjuster, no sight line. 35.5"

I know this might be over simplifying things a bit but can you not just move your hands up and down the grip to change the length???? The added mechanism seems a little gimmicky to me. We golfers are much to smart for that!

IMG_1767.thumb.PNG.89253fef92362604f322a596e67cf09d.PNG

Not at my height... There are never 36”-37” putters for me to try in stores, so at least this comes close at 36”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I need to try one next time I see them as I think I’d like this insert on this better than the last one, plus, I need to try something a little shorter than 37” just to see how it feels.

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

I need to try one next time I see them as I think I’d like this insert on this better than the last one, plus, I need to try something a little shorter than 37” just to see how it feels.

I messed with a Tyne a bit today. I have to say that even though it was for a "straight" stroke, it felt pretty damn good. I'll probably fiddle with it some more tomorrow...what a sweet piece. Looking at it, I was rather surprised how "standard" and "non-bulky" the adjustable grip looked and felt like. I have changed my mind on these..PING has done a huge service with this tech and I think it can only get better from here...

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

I feel like most on this thread, that it should just be used for fitting purposes...unless you plan to tinker with your putter stance that may call for a longer or shorter putter.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

On 1/17/2019 at 9:53 AM, PING Apologist #9 said:

I'm a little luke-warm on it. Just like @tony@CIC stated, it seems a little gimmicky and not like PING at all. I haven't seen one of these in person yet, but it looks like a similar feature I've seen on demo putters that retailers have so they can do length fitting-but on a putter you would use..? I wonder how much extra weight it adds..? I think this kind of goes against PING's core philosophy of getting fitted at a retailer. Now you can just grab one and self-adjust apparently...hmmmm

Messed around with one of these the other day at GG, and I must say what PING has done is actually quite ground-breaking. There is no outward appearance given that there is some sort of mechanism in there and it felt "normal" I'm gonna have to really test one of these out...kind of like Randy here...Check this out...

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Apparently, they're perfect for short guys:

🙂

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I dropped-by Edwin Watts today to get some rolls with this putter. I tried the Anser Black Nickel and I really liked it. The face feels great, and I really liked the look. I sank my first three putts with it from 10’. Really nice putter.

• 2 years later...

Purchased a 2021 Fetch, and with all my putters at 36", I set this to 34.5". I was apprehensive in purchasing this putter with this shaft, as you can order a solid steel shaft, but it is fantastic. I've made more skin money with this putter than any other in my collection.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

• 1 year later...

Hi folks here don't forget it is a great idea for some junior golfers (serious ones) who are growing fast,  I don't remember how many times I adjusted it to fit my son's growing body during the past two years, only till recently he seems to settle at 34.5 in.  I would highly recommend this putter, after all, it is a Ping!