Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

THIS is the year I get over my Driving yips...!

Hello MGS'ers -

Some background history:  About 3 years ago, I lost control of my driver entirely.  No matter how well I was hitting other clubs, I could not hit the driver.  Every shot would either be a high weak slice or a low snap hook (it got so bad that I nearly missed the ball once and it just dribbled off the tee.... yikes).  I'm a 15hcp and my standard shot shape is a draw w/ my standard miss being a hook.  Driver is literally the ONLY club in my back I slice... and slice it I do!  I switched to 3W off the tee and got really proficient with it (distance range is probably b/w 240-260yds).  It also gave me back confidence on the tee box (it was getting to the point where I contemplated quitting the game b/c it wasn't fun anymore).  I haven't hit driver off the tee since then (give or take a few times randomly when I was testing to see if i could get it back).  I've shot some solid scores using only 3W off the tee, but I know I'm leaving strokes out there by sacrificing distance and I'm capping my ceiling as a player.

Earlier this fall, I had been playing poorly and wasn't hitting the 3W very well so I decided to just play the driver for the hell of it... and actually started crushing it.  Shot my best round of the year with an 80 (could have been lower if I'd made a few more putts) and was over the moon... thought I had found my driver again.  Wrong. Next round I played I was back to my old ways slicing the hell out of it.  To add insult to injury, I was now hitting my 3W poorly too.  

So w/o the 3W safety blanket I used to have, I decided that this is the year that I get my driver back for good.  I know it's POSSIBLE for me to really hit it well, evidenced by that round in the fall, so I just need to figure it out (some of it's probably mental too).

So, all that to say: has anyone on this forum had a similar issue with driver and if so what are some tips you'd give to help me get it back.  I don't have a TON of practice time available so when I do get to the range, it would be great to practice with a purpose instead of just banging ball after ball.  

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

WITB (Nike Hybrid Carry):

Taylormade R1 Black Fubuki 60s

Nike VR Pro 3W 15* Project X 6.0

Adams Pro A12 3H 20* Aldila RIP Phenom S

Adams DHY 24* Matrix Ozik White Tie S

Adams CMB 5-PW KBS Tour C-Taper s-flex

Titleist Vokey SM5 52* True Temper Gold s200

Titleist Vokey SM4 56* True Temper Gold s200

Nike VR Pro Forged 60* True Temper Gold s400

Ping Cadence TR Ketsch 355g

Taylormade Lethal

If you could post a video of your driver swing, it could be helpful. 

First off, I'd check ball position (off the middle of the left foot), grip, and alignment. Are your shoulders, hips, and club face square to the target? 

Then, I'd look at what is different between my 3W swing and driver swing. If I hit the ball on the downswing with the 3W, try and hit on the upswing with the driver. 

And finally, DON'T try to crush the ball with the driver. Tension free, smooth swings will work the best. Make sure the driver swing is relaxed, and that you don't tense up. 

Hope this helps!

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

It's been some time ago that I really struggled with driver. Like you, I basically gave up on it and chose to hit iron or 3w on a lot of holes. Eventually I found an intriguing albeit lower quality head at a garage sale for a couple bucks. I bought it and had a steel shaft installed. I couldn't quite whip it around like I was doing before, but I learned to control it (at least more so than I had previously). I continued to work on it and through a series of swing and equipment changes the driver has routinely been one of the best clubs in my bag over the past several seasons.

You've got to be determined and willing to experiment, but you can certainly get over whatever is ailing you with the driver. Best of luck!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Contrary to popular belief you don’t just get the yips or shanks from some mythical anti-golf god. You are doing (or not doing) something mechanically that is causing your problem. To shoot an 80 you must have the ability and fundamental foundation to play good golf. I recommend a lesson or three. If lessons are not your cup of tee then a video posted here will illicit some valuable feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I can absolutely relate. Starting last year I was going through something very similar and still am for that matter. I found that with the length of the driver being a little bit longer it enhances my over the top swing and I also tend to shut the face. At times I would try to correct this miss and the face would be too open and I have a big slice. I also come at the ball too steep with driver so that creates more backspin and I lose distance.

I recently just finished at club Champion and the difference in this version with my driver he was crazy between my current driverAnd the one I was fitted to.
Is your current driver fit for you or something that you put together yourself.

You might try getting fit somewhere with the weights in drivers now and all of the shafts, just that change could make a big difference. I don’t believe in covering up swing faults with a driver but when I’m going to buy a driver anyways why not get something that helps you. I’m working hard this winter on my driver in particular and hope that by spring I’ll have the swing changes figured out and like second nature.

Best of luck as I am hoping my driver can once again be a weapon for me like it used to be rather than what would feel like a penalty shot waiting to happen.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Here is a video of a couple driver swings. Even though I’m feeling like my swing is coming more from inside. I still have work to do and come a bit too steep. Also I’m teeing the ball a bit too low as I need to hit more up on the ball.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

On 1/17/2019 at 5:05 PM, SirBigSpur06 said:

No matter how well I was hitting other clubs, I could not hit the driver.  Every shot would either be a high weak slice or a low snap hook

Yeah, I share your pain and frustration ... had those same two same misses with the driver... It's taken me several years to "work my way up the bag" as in being able to hit each next longer club successfully on the course.

The problem was two-fold, of course...
1. Swing mechanics
2. Mental approach

I'd get tense on the tee and be over-gripping the club and getting mad at that stupid little white ball just sitting on the ground mocking me and then I'd try to swing reeeeally hard to knock the piss out of it. All of which is obviously the exact, polar opposite of what you really want to be doing...

For #1 I've been...

• taking lessons
  • practicing practicing practicing
  • going back for more lessons
  • swinging an Orange Whip* frequently

For #2 I've been...

• increasing my confidence by doing all the things in #1 so that better swing mechanics / body movements become "my" swing;
  • repeating in my mind Tim Burke's (WWD champ) words: "Smooth is Fast, and Fast is Long."
  • deciding to "Play Happy" and let go of tension
  • focusing on the process of making good golf shots (ie. "make every shot count")

My practice, perhaps ironically, consists of NO driver swings! None. Predominantly chipping and pitching, working from literally the ground up to focus on good balance, tempo, maintaining a good swing posture, weight transfer and rotation, etc. and - making clean and solid contact. If I can do it with the short clubs at slow speed then I can "work my way up the bag" by applying all those better swing mechanics to succeedingly longer clubs and faster swings ... always with the goal of clean and solid contact. 

So this year I'll be carrying and playing the "big dog" 😉 But... I won't care if I hit it 200 or 250 -- my goal this year is to hit fairways.

* I've touted the Orange Whip in other threads (maybe I should become an affiliate or a paid spokesperson!) and I cannot recommend it enough to help work on the full swing - but in conjunction with lessons to make sure you're applying good mechanics throughout your swing. It's really helping me learn and improve! 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Nice to see another lefty. 

I share the same struggle at times, I use my 3wood mostly anyway, but I have learned to hit Driver, but now and again out of nowhere all of a sudden I cannot hit Driver, here’s what I do, I keep hitting the driver, don’t completely put it away, use on holes where you have margin for error. Your swing doesn’t look bad with the driver maybe a little out to in. When I have that issue it’s because I let my left (trailing) elbow fly away. Sometimes it’s jist a mental thing so just keep swinging it. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived