Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Clear Balls!

puttingpirate

So... My Clear Balls should be arriving today 🙂

If someone’s not familiar - https://www.golf.com/gear/2018/12/21/clear-golf-balls-most-expensive/ 

Just wondering what would you guys like to see as a review? Unfortunately don’t have the tools to cut it open. But have access to trackman and golf courses 😄

I can probably also record my face and the crying when I lose a $10 ball 😄

very keen to see how they compare to our 'normal' premium ball.

I cannot see any reason (apart from elitism) that make this ball twice as expensive as the most expensive Prov1

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

$1200 to get an initial 12 dozen and some logo merchandise.... I hope they're nice shirts.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Reading up on this thing the whole thing seems very fishy.  Charge twice what any other ball costs, and then make it super exclusive and with all sorts of secrecy about what goes into the ball?  Um yeah, I'm not even sure I'm interested in knowing anything about it honestly, especially at the price they are selling these things for.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

The guys on the PGA Channel on XM have a LOT of credit to these balls for recent wins, so, I’d love to hear about performance vs other balls, especially if they seem to hold their line better in wind, etc. It’s hard to believe that there would be any substantial differences, otherwise we’d have heard more about them, but it would still be nice to see TrackMan and on-course data.
Thanks!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Here is the info from the Clear Sports website.
https://www.clear-sports.com/golf/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I hope everyone is noting the asterisk at the bottom of the ad stating "these balls only work when hit with PXG and Mizuno irons". 🤣

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

No offence but I have no interest in these balls. Golf balls in general don't really light me up. All the major mfg's make (or have made for them) good balls as do a few of the direct suppliers. Snell, Vice, MG, etc. These days anyone can pretty much contract with a mfg. in Taiwan or Korea and have them make you a good if not a very good urethane covered golf ball. Other than making a contract and cash I could begin selling the Plaid VX 3 or 4 piece tour ball. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

When i first saw this company, I thought it was a scam. It turns out, it was just a different type of scam than I first thought. I'll never buy them, but it will be interesting to see hoe different they are from a standard prov.

Out of curiosity @puttingpirate, what ball do you currently play?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I mean, I won’t really knock a product down purely cause its cheap or expensive. I try to take cost out of the equation as much as I can.

At the moment Im toying depending on weather ProV1x / AVX / Willson Pro Duo. I played a chromesoft for a while and a TP5. Chromesoft I quite liked but TP5 didn’t agree with me. Project A on the other hand I quite enjoyed.

EDIT: So, they’ve arrived. And for now all I can say is that I like the way they look. They have a pre-made line, which is a nice touch so I dont have to scribble on my ball. Taking them to the course tomorrow followed by a trackman session on Monday 🙂

So, an update. 

On trackman the 3 piece performed better for me than the 4 piece. And it was the opposite for a pro with a slower swing speed which is interesting. However he did like the 4 piece being a lot firmer than anything else we’ve tested (prov, tp5, chromesoft).

Mid iron was what youd expect from any high performance ball. Driver on a perfect strike - difference was negligible and would be 100% overriden by swing inconsistency. However on my usual miss - the ball didn’t hook as much as I’d expect, which was interesting. 

Now we couldn’t test high lofted wedges indoor with trackman - as the ceiling was too low and it didn’t pick up all the stats.
So I took it to my GC to do some chipping with it. From 60-40yards in I have a very low and high spinning flight.  The Clear ball was checking and stopping faster than any of the other balls. 

Next I took them out to play. The ball + pxg gen2 driver combo has produced some of the longest drives I’ve had. But it’s hard to quantify whenever it was just amazing strike and how much the ball had to do with it.

There unfortunately was no wind - so I couldn’t test any of that. And without any data released from the company about performance in wind tunnels etc... I can’t comment on that as yet.

The bottom line - the ball is as good as any other high perfomance ball. Even if it’s better - I think swing inconsistencies would override any benefit. But for people looking for removing any doubt in terms of performance and QC - it’s definitely a contender.

Archived