Alright, so after playing for 25ish years, I finally got fit for clubs. I’m 32 years old. I don’t have the shaft information on me at the moment, but I hope you find it interesting nonetheless. 

Driver: Wilson C300 Stiff Flex 9 degrees, but I’ve got it adjusted to 10

Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 Regular Flex 5-6 wood. It’s set to 18.5 degrees

Irons: Wilson Staff D7 Regular Flex 5-GW

Wedges: Cleveland CBX 52, 56, 60

Putter: Tommy Armour Impact No.3

Ball: Cut Grey

So I consider myself a middle handicapper. I can easily shoot low to mid 80’s. However, I recently was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in my back. So in order to extend my playing time I’ve taken quite a bit off my swing. Because I’m still adjusting to a new swing, I wanted clubs much more forgiving but I wouldn’t lose too much distance. The brand new D7 irons have offered me the best combination of long distance and good accuracy. I know their lofts are jacked but since I slowed my swing, I technically haven’t lost any distance off the iron number. I have the same philosophy with the wedges. My fitter handed me the CBX wedges and I was blown away by how consistently I was hitting them the same distances. As little as I’m getting to play, once a month, I’m not looking to shape too many shots, I just want to go straight. I’m always kinda an underdog guy so you’ll pretty much never find anything Taylormade/Callaway/Ping/Titleist in my bag. I can’t stand the elitist attitude in golf that knocks statistically proven great clubs because they’re not made by a big 4 OEM. My favorite club in the bag is the Tommy Armour putter. I hit hundreds of puts that day and it even blew away the Evnroll for me. I’m not a tall guy either, barely 5’7”, so everything is shaved down 1/4 of an inch to 1/2 an inch. You’ll notice I only have 13 clubs. I’m very satisfied with my 5 wood and 5 iron as my long clubs so I’m considering adding a PM Grind 64 degree wedge for lobs once the new model comes out in February (I know it’s made by Callaway lol). Let me know what y’all think!

5C67D0F9-DA9B-42D7-AD46-F7A747CD0FE6.jpeg

E3676A28-C7EF-4350-A65B-4FFD94A974D8.jpeg

3651C8E4-4C1B-400D-AC60-D2138CCBD499.jpeg

• Like 6

That's a solid bag that makes sense. Nice!

• Like 1

Thanks! I need to update my blog with the new clubs. I just got the wedges and 5 wood yesterday.

I’m carrying the 5 iron about 185 and the 5 wood at it’s 18.5 degree setting I’m carrying about 200-205. So when I play those courses with the crazy par 5’s I’ll just jack it up to 17. I cannot for the life of me get a 15 degree off the grass, but the 17-20 degree has been perfect.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aburtonky said:

I’m always kinda an underdog guy so you’ll pretty much never find anything Taylormade/Callaway/Ping/Titleist in my bag

6 hours ago, aburtonky said:

You’ll notice I only have 13 clubs

I'm sort of that way a bit. (See signature)

I too only carry 13 clubs. At this time and based on my home course 13 clubs are all that fit my game.

If you ever want to get another fitting one day I know a guy close to you that's been fitting and building clubs for 30 years.

Nice equipment BTW.

• Like 1

So I've been completely dominating my Cobra F8 5/6 wood. It's now my favorite club after my putter. I'm debating on going up and pitting the new Cobra speedback against my Wilson C300. Any thoughts?

Made a couple of changes. I'm waiting for my PXG 0811XF Gen 2 driver. Also, I've switched to the Bridgestone e12 Soft. The best ball I've ever struck. Distance and control off the tee have been perfect while giving me a decent amount of spin on my irons/wedges.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Matto1893

• By GregT
      Hi all,
      Mixed bag of goodies coming at you from Canada!
      Driver:  Cobra Biocell (set at 12º)
      Cobra Baffler Hybrid - 18º
      Mizuno MP-18SC irons (3-PW)
      Cobra Tour Trusty Wedges (52º and 58º)
      Odyssey White Hot Pro CS7 putter
      TaylorMade TP5x ball
      Still got room for one more club - demoing 3/4 woods at the moment, but I also tend to switch my wedge configuration to a 50/54/58 from my current 52/58 ... depends on the course.

Cheers to a new season! 😄
    • By yungkory
      edit: Scroll through the thread to see how my bag setup has progressed since joining the MGS forums.

Finally finished going through my clubs and updating. As some of you might know, I stopped playing golf for about 6 years, and the last time I played regularly was probably 10 years ago. Fell back in love with the sport after my first round back 2 months ago, but playing the same sticks I've had since high school wasn't exciting, so over the last 2 months I've worked through all of them and replaced everything!

Old setup:
      Callaway 454 Big Bertha
      Callaway Big Bertha 3W (the original ones)
      4-PW Ping Eye 2
      Callaway X-12 gap wedge
      Cleveland SW - don't remember the name
      Ping b60i - the original isopur one from the 90s

Now on to the good stuff:

Callaway GBB Epic 10.5 HZRDUS 6.0
      Callaway XR16 3W Fujikura Speeder S-flex
      TaylorMade M2 22* Stock R-flex
      Nike Vapor Pro Combo 5-AW
      Callaway MD3 56-10 & 60-8
      Evnroll ER-7
    • By Golfspy_CG2
      Sold!!  Thanks everyone for the interest!     
      Grab a set that is currently the focus of the Wilson D7 challenge going on across the US. 
      This is the Wilson iron that is giving people back yardage they thought they had lost forever.  They are simply some of the easiest irons, I've ever hit and just go high and straight...and oh yeah far.   if you don't believe me, check out some the blog piece from Golfspy_barbajo
      https://mygolfspy.com/first-look-wilson-staff-d7-irons/
      The specs on these are 1/2 long and 2 degrees upright.   Hit me up with any questions, already have some inquires about these in the shop, but wanted to give my fellow spies who are in the market for a great affordable set of irons to start the year. 
      Note: the face's actually look much better in person than the pics, the only one that is really heavily used is the 7 (top pic 2nd from left) as it's been used on the range a lot more than the others. 

• By Thin2win
      Hello all. I've been helping my wife get fit for a driver this year, it has been an interesting experience. But one that I think could benefit many others as well. Her driver swing speed is normally about 70mph, trying to find a driver that has enough loft for her to get better numbers than just hitting a 3 wood has been hard. 

But today we found an incredible winner, and massive value. A driver that many of you have probably read up on or watched Rick Shiels gush over. The Cobra F9. 
      Why was this club so amazing for her? Well, a couple reasons. First, she is 5'1", and with her swing speed, loft and backspin are huge helps. Cobra offers the F9 with a head that goes up to 14* of loft, that was 2 more degrees than her previous game. That got her launch angle up and increased her spin for 30 more yards of carry. The second reason and why this club is a massive value. The Cobra Jr program. 
      We got her the Jr's version of the F9. Same exact head(only available in the 12.5 loft head), but comes with a junior length and flex shaft. Which as it turns out, is basically prefect for her height and swing speed. The real icing on the cake is that for the next 2 years, if she ever wants a new shaft cobra will give a free 1 time upgrade to any shaft in their stock lineup. Their thinking is a junior golfer will increase club speed over two years and will need a new shaft, so they include one. So if she does want a new shaft of full length, she gets one for free. 
      To top it all off... It is $100 less than their current list price of the regular F9. $349.00, all day every day. 
      So if you are looking for a driver that has a loft setting up to 14, don't buy the regular F9, buy the Jr version and use your free shaft upgrade. 
      This is amazing in my book. That is basically $200 less than most of the other offerings out there. 

• By titzercm
      Just added a few new clubs to start off 2019.   New as of this week are TS2 Driver and 16.5 FW,  (Both with S Evenflow shafts) AP3 6-PW, 48 Red AMT shaft S
      Replacing:
      Titleist 917 Fujikura TS Driver S
      Titleist 915F Diamana White S
      Titleist 918 AP1 red AMT shaft S
      Why:
      Speed!  The TS was a significant increase 3-5 mph ball speed more on the driver 
      Irons replaced because I could not cut the AP1.   AP1 was a phenomenal club.   Hit them well!   I could not work right to left on a bet!   Slight draw bias. 
      Staying In The Bag:
      Titleist 818H1 21 & 25 deg, Red Tensei S 
      Vokey 52F, 56S, 60D
      Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5 34”

Future Aquisition:
      Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 (ordered but won’t deliver until mid April)

IF I didn’t play what I’m playing now:
      Cobra Speedback Driver
      TM M5 FW
      Ping Hybrids
      Ping 210 irons
      Ping Glide 2.0 wedges
      Evenroll 7 Putter

• Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!