Alright, so after playing for 25ish years, I finally got fit for clubs. I’m 32 years old. I don’t have the shaft information on me at the moment, but I hope you find it interesting nonetheless. 

Driver: Wilson C300 Stiff Flex 9 degrees, but I’ve got it adjusted to 10

Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 Regular Flex 5-6 wood. It’s set to 18.5 degrees

Irons: Wilson Staff D7 Regular Flex 5-GW

Wedges: Cleveland CBX 52, 56, 60

Putter: Tommy Armour Impact No.3

Ball: Cut Grey

So I consider myself a middle handicapper. I can easily shoot low to mid 80’s. However, I recently was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in my back. So in order to extend my playing time I’ve taken quite a bit off my swing. Because I’m still adjusting to a new swing, I wanted clubs much more forgiving but I wouldn’t lose too much distance. The brand new D7 irons have offered me the best combination of long distance and good accuracy. I know their lofts are jacked but since I slowed my swing, I technically haven’t lost any distance off the iron number. I have the same philosophy with the wedges. My fitter handed me the CBX wedges and I was blown away by how consistently I was hitting them the same distances. As little as I’m getting to play, once a month, I’m not looking to shape too many shots, I just want to go straight. I’m always kinda an underdog guy so you’ll pretty much never find anything Taylormade/Callaway/Ping/Titleist in my bag. I can’t stand the elitist attitude in golf that knocks statistically proven great clubs because they’re not made by a big 4 OEM. My favorite club in the bag is the Tommy Armour putter. I hit hundreds of puts that day and it even blew away the Evnroll for me. I’m not a tall guy either, barely 5’7”, so everything is shaved down 1/4 of an inch to 1/2 an inch. You’ll notice I only have 13 clubs. I’m very satisfied with my 5 wood and 5 iron as my long clubs so I’m considering adding a PM Grind 64 degree wedge for lobs once the new model comes out in February (I know it’s made by Callaway lol). Let me know what y’all think!

5C67D0F9-DA9B-42D7-AD46-F7A747CD0FE6.jpeg

E3676A28-C7EF-4350-A65B-4FFD94A974D8.jpeg

3651C8E4-4C1B-400D-AC60-D2138CCBD499.jpeg

• Like 6

That's a solid bag that makes sense. Nice!

• Like 1

Thanks! I need to update my blog with the new clubs. I just got the wedges and 5 wood yesterday.

I’m carrying the 5 iron about 185 and the 5 wood at it’s 18.5 degree setting I’m carrying about 200-205. So when I play those courses with the crazy par 5’s I’ll just jack it up to 17. I cannot for the life of me get a 15 degree off the grass, but the 17-20 degree has been perfect.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aburtonky said:

I’m always kinda an underdog guy so you’ll pretty much never find anything Taylormade/Callaway/Ping/Titleist in my bag

6 hours ago, aburtonky said:

You’ll notice I only have 13 clubs

I'm sort of that way a bit. (See signature)

I too only carry 13 clubs. At this time and based on my home course 13 clubs are all that fit my game.

If you ever want to get another fitting one day I know a guy close to you that's been fitting and building clubs for 30 years.

Nice equipment BTW.

• Like 1

So I've been completely dominating my Cobra F8 5/6 wood. It's now my favorite club after my putter. I'm debating on going up and pitting the new Cobra speedback against my Wilson C300. Any thoughts?

Made a couple of changes. I'm waiting for my PXG 0811XF Gen 2 driver. Also, I've switched to the Bridgestone e12 Soft. The best ball I've ever struck. Distance and control off the tee have been perfect while giving me a decent amount of spin on my irons/wedges.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    bogeybro

• By Golfspy_CG2
      This review coincided with the National D7 Challenge that Wilson Staff ran through the first 3 months of the season.   To be eligible for the testing, forum members had to go to a Wilson Demo Day or local golf store and demo the D7 iron and see how much distance they gained. 
      As a result the selected members received a full set of D7 irons.  This testing is also a milestone for MGS of sorts as it marks the first official club test for our women members.  So we're excited to have a couple of them chiming in on what we are sure will be some very helpful and insightful reviews. 

The Testers are as follows:
      @Steve2100                                     Stage 1                 Stage 2
      @Tarheelvolvo                                  Stage 1                 Stage 2
      @JohnSmalls                                   Stage 1                  Stage 2
      @GeekingGolf                                  Stage 1                   Stage 2
      Our Two Female Reviewers
      @GolfDorkette                                Stage 1                    Stage 2
      @artful_golfer                                 Stage 1                    Stage 2
    • By Golfspy_CG2
      In the golf club world, where most companies insist on renaming or launching a new name after one or two iterations of a club, to see a company stick with  a name into the 4th generation....well that must say something about the winning formula they have.   Below is a video from Cleveland Golf on it's RTX4 wedge. 
      Then  we have four members of our forum who are in the process of testing these wedges to see how they perform for their games. See their initial thoughts in the Stage 1 posts below, and follow their on course and on range experiences with them in this thread over the next 4 weeks or so.
      The Four Member Testers are:
      @goaliewales14                              Stage 1                                  Stage 2
      @Apes44                                         Stage 1                                  Stage 2
      @MDGolfHacker                              Stage 1                                  Stage 2
      @Smellis745                                   Stage 1                                 Stage 2  

• By downlowkey
      Form Forged Cleveland TA3
      3-PW - Raw Finish - Debadged
      True Temper Tour Concept X1
      Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound
      Clean Heads - Custom Paint Fill (see pics)
      7-iron 37.5”
      Mild shaft finish wear 6, 9, PW (worst is pictured)
      This is a very rare setup - Tour Van Build
      $450 shipped to US (lower 48) - PayPal

• By Golfspy_CG2
      Five of our trusted members have been selected to test and review the Tommy Armour Atomic irons and report back their findings to the forum.  Their journey with these irons has begun and below you will first read their Stage 1 reviews which will give you some insight to the person behind the forum name and learn a bit about their game to see if what they find in these irons will relate to your game. 
      Along with that they will share some pictures of the clubs straight out of the box and give us some initial thoughts on them.  So tune in and follow their journey over the next 4 to 6 weeks as they see if they can gain more distance in their iron game and more importantly, see if that translates to lower scores. 

Our Five Testers are
      @sirchunksalot                       Stage 1                        Stage 2
      @Tsecor                                  Stage 1                        Stage 2
      @josmi15                                Stage 1                         Stage 2
      @BigtazzGolf                          Stage 1                          Stage 2
      @ZenGolfer                            Stage 1                           Stage 2

• By DPattGolf
      It’s been a while since I posted but it’s time to update what is in my bag for my first season of professional golf.

There are definitely some improvements that I’m looking forward to but overall I’m pretty happy with my bag so far. It helps that this setup has me -2 thru 54 holes of tournament golf (and $1,200 in winnings) since the driver, 3wood and wedges went in the bag on June 23rd.

So here is what is in my bag.

Driver: Titleist TS3 - Diamana White Board 70X tipped 1” & 1” short
      3wood: Titleist TS3 - Diamana White Board 80X
      Driving Iron: Titleist 712u - Accra 110i X
      Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X
      Wedges: Vokey SM7 - Dynamic Gold X100
      Putter: Evnroll ER2 - P2 Aware Grip
      Ball: Titleist ProV1 Yellow
      Glove: Under Armour Iso-Chill
      Range Finder: Precision Pro NX7 Pro
      Speed Trainer: Golf Stick Pro

Carry Distances per GCQuad