Sign in to follow this  
Sluggo42

Used clubs from eBay

I've purchased many clubs off Ebay.  Ebay,  my main source for used heads next to Iron factory. I will say the low ball'er selling Golf Pride grips on Ebay, they are selling counterfeits. I purchased 12, sent them to the leading seller of grips in the USA to confirm. I did this because, several customers asked about my grip price. I did a little digging to see why. 

Those are my Ebay stories on golf clubs. 

Edited by 10shot

I've never had an issue so far, but I think that's mostly due to my research and just being conscience of what is being sold.  Taking the old adage, if it's too good to be true.....

I've bought hybrids, an iron set, wedges, shafts, drivers, balls, apparel, etc from eBay.  A few things I do to ensure it's legit.  Most of my club/shaft purchases are from 2nd Swing, Global Golf, Hurricane Golf, etc...or legit sellers with online presence, but have the wherewithal to sell on eBay as well to attract more buyers.  Clothes and balls, I'll usually buy from just about anyone with at least 100 sells and good ratings.

I use the make offer suggestion every time, even if there isn't one I will still email the seller and ask if they will take something a bit lower.  Works about 75% of the time.  

I have purchased many clubs from eBay, the biggest issue that I look for is with drivers, those are “faked” more than anything else so I stay away from them, the woods that I buy are Exotics, so again not really any fakes with those, I purchased Mp18 SC iron heads as well, all perfectly fine. I just bought a frequency filtered putter shaft, and when I received it it was damaged, I messaged the seller within 5 minutes of opening it, and he sent another one straight out. He asked me to send photos of the damage that I could see in the box and photos of the shaft. He sent it priority and I got it today pretty fast. He will def. be getting a positive review. 

• Like 1

I have always bought from a reputable seller. I will ask for serial numbers on items and email the manufacturer. 

no issues- so far. But I ONLY buy from someone with 100% and lots of good 'seller' reviews- watch out for the 100% and mainly 'buyer' reviews- an old trick by scammers to get good trading refs.

I once bought a used PING G pitching wedge.  Got it on the range, and just for reference purposes, my normal PW distance is a solid 125 yards.  Well, even with the most solid of contact I could only hit this club about 120 at best, and most of the time around 115 yards or so.  And as hard headed as I am, I figure I just couldn't hit that club very well, and shrugged it off.  Well, on a whim one day I was shopping at Edwin Watts here locally and in conversation with one of the guys there I mentioned my troubles with this one club, and he asked me to bring it in so he could check the loft on it.  Sure enough, some jackass had sold a PING G PW that was bent to 50°, essentially making it just like my gap wedge, which flies 115 yards.

I mean, if you are going to bend a club like that and jack with the lofts, the least you could do is mention it in the description for the club.

Maybe I am getting snobby about golf club purchases, but that was my last purchase through ebay, and I probably won't ever again entertain the thought of a used club purchase that way.  Too many snakes out there and untrustworthy scammers who probably stole the club to begin with and hawked it on ebay to make some money.

Also reminds me of how I bought my old PING i3+ irons many years ago.  I was gonna get new irons for them at the time, but decided to check ebay and found what appeared to be pretty new PING i3+ irons in the lie angle I needed.  So I pulled the trigger and brought them home.  I played these irons for about 15 years before upgrading recently.  But the one thing about these irons that always bothered me was that I was constantly playing irons owned by Bob Thomason.  I mean, in the back of my mind either Bob sold his clubs to me, or somewhere out there, there's a Bob Thomason still pissed off because his golf clubs were stolen by someone from his club, and hawked on ebay.  It will probably be an unsolved mystery I'll take with me to the grave.

IMG_2942.JPG

• Like 1