TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tiger's Nike ball was a Bridgestone

GolfSpy MPR

Confirmed by the man himself:

Someone with serious video editing skills should put a Bridgestone logo on the iconic "ball hangs on the edge of the cup, then drops" moment from Augusta :-)

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Contracting happens all the time, no big deal. Everyone is acting like Nike had NOTHING to do with the ball. It was made in a bridgestone plant is all. 

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

To me this is one area of golf I do not like.  The pros play different clubs/balls then the rest of us.  Why because production is king.  It is misleading to the consumer to have company A pay company B to put a logo on something.  Yes that is business and that is fine, but its misleading to us as the customer and we can change that.  This is the same for the price of golf clubs.  Why pay $650 for a driver?  Don't and when they don't sell the price will come down. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I want to know more. We all know Bridgestone was producing golf balls for Nike which really isn't a huge deal. But is that what Tiger meant? Or, was he legitimately playing a Bridgestone ball with Nike graphics? If so, which model? He didn't say in the video so it could still go either way. If he was simply playing a Nike ball made by Bridgestone, who really cares. If he was playing a Bridgestone ball with Nike printed on it then that's a whole different story! 

I have to agree with @jacustomgolf on this one. I understand this part of golf, but I don't like it. I'd at least feel a little better about companies charging $500+ for drivers if they were actually the same as what the pros have, but it's not even close!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

16 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I want to know more. We all know Bridgestone was producing golf balls for Nike which really isn't a huge deal. But is that what Tiger meant? Or, was he legitimately playing a Bridgestone ball with Nike graphics? If so, which model? He didn't say in the video so it could still go either way. If he was simply playing a Nike ball made by Bridgestone, who really cares. If he was playing a Bridgestone ball with Nike printed on it then that's a whole different story! 

I have to agree with @jacustomgolf on this one. I understand this part of golf, but I don't like it. I'd at least feel a little better about companies charging $500+ for drivers if they were actually the same as what the pros have, but it's not even close!

Its not even close, and we the consumer continue to pay for clubs that still might be way off.  Time to change that.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

1 hour ago, jacustomgolf said:

To me this is one area of golf I do not like.  The pros play different clubs/balls then the rest of us.  Why because production is king.  It is misleading to the consumer to have company A pay company B to put a logo on something.  Yes that is business and that is fine, but its misleading to us as the customer and we can change that.  This is the same for the price of golf clubs.  Why pay $650 for a driver?  Don't and when they don't sell the price will come down. 

While they tend to have different models or tweaks to gear that we done have they are ususllly playing what we have with tighter tolerances.  The logo thing happens all the time

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

He was playing a Nike ball made by Bridgestone and the ones sold in store were also Nike balls made by Bridgestone. He wasn’t saying he was actually playing a Bridgestone ball.

many balls as with clubs come out of the same factories overseas

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I thought he said that it was B330S, but I’m not sure if that was the Nike ball or not. The real question is “How often does this happen?” I know that many Titleist guys are playing prior generation PRO Vs, but if this were the case, why didn’t more pros (IE Rory coming to Nike) do the same thing?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

It's funny to me that Nike isn't in the business any longer and people are still trying to prove that "they don't belong".

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

13 minutes ago, Rtracymog said:

I thought he said that it was B330S, but I’m not sure if that was the Nike ball or not. The real question is “How often does this happen?” I know that many Titleist guys are playing prior generation PRO Vs, but if this were the case, why didn’t more pros (IE Rory coming to Nike) do the same thing?

If I remember correctly the B330S is what he played when he signed with Bridgestone. Whether or not he played it at any time before then is anyone's guess apparently lol.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

14 minutes ago, Rtracymog said:

That’s the version of Bridgestone ball that had Nike stamp on it. 

The nike balls were Nike balls made by Bridgestone. The guy that came onboard to design the Nike ball is now at Callaway iirc

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

This sparked a more intense discussion than I anticipated. I think it might be worth breaking down the phenomenon under discussion more specifically.

(Disclaimer: this should be a chart, but I'm writing this on my phone in a Burger King, so you get words instead.)

In any of these scenarios, we have three possible parties: the company that is branding a product, a competing brand, and a third-party, generic manufacturing facility.

The least egregious version of this relationship happens when two competing brands happen to use the same manufacturing plant to make differing products. I expect that we all understand and even expect this.

The most egregious version is when one brand puts its logo on the product of a competing brand, giving the impression that a Tour player is using their product when he is actually using a competitor.

That latter category seems quite close to deceptive advertising. When a player is featured by a brand as endorsing their product for play at the highest level, while they're not using it themselves, that seems (at least to me) like a problem.

I don't know (and I have no connections) what specifically Tiger meant here. The least objectionable version is this: Tiger was playing a ball designed by Nike, essentially the same as that commercially available from Nike, but manufactured for Nike in a Bridgestone plant. I see no issues there at all.

If, however, Tiger was playing a Bridgestone designed and sold ball with a swoosh painted on it, that rubs me wrong.

And I have no opinion on Nike as a golf company. I've used a couple of their clubs with no problem. Put it this way: I'd be stunned if this were any kind of Nike specific problem.

Full WITB with pictures

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

He was playing a Nike ball made by Bridgestone and the ones sold in store were also Nike balls made by Bridgestone. He wasn’t saying he was actually playing a Bridgestone ball.

IMO if this was the case it is a non-story. If he was playing a Bridgestone ball with a swoosh on it and golfers were buying that ball, it is fine. Now if he was playing a ball different than what was marketed (except for the already mentioned tolerance levels) then this is a HUGE issue. We will probably never get the answer to this question but to me, the whole story depends on the answer to this question. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I wonder how shocked most here would be to learn that their beloved store brand products (specifically Costco's Kirkland brand) are made by other companies (and most times the companies the store brands are directly competing with).  

Heck, does the average consumer know that an Apple iphone is mostly comprised of parts made by Samsung? Probably not.

19 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

IMO if this was the case it is a non-story. If he was playing a Bridgestone ball with a swoosh on it and golfers were buying that ball, it is fine. Now if he was playing a ball different than what was marketed (except for the already mentioned tolerance levels) then this is a HUGE issue. We will probably never get the answer to this question but to me, the whole story depends on the answer to this question. 

I agree that this is a non story (especially since most of the golf community knew that Bridgestone was making balls for Nike.

Heck, even the Bridgestone ball that Tiger plays new is specially made for him - it's not some off the shelf model.

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

This sparked a more intense discussion than I anticipated. I think it might be worth breaking down the phenomenon under discussion more specifically.
(Disclaimer: this should be a chart, but I'm writing this on my phone in a Burger King, so you get words instead.)
In any of these scenarios, we have three possible parties: the company that is branding a product, a competing brand, and a third-party, generic manufacturing facility.
The least egregious version of this relationship happens when two competing brands happen to use the same manufacturing plant to make differing products. I expect that we all understand and even expect this.
The most egregious version is when one brand puts its logo on the product of a competing brand, giving the impression that a Tour player is using their product when he is actually using a competitor.
That latter category seems quite close to deceptive advertising. When a player is featured by a brand as endorsing their product for play at the highest level, while they're not using it themselves, that seems (at least to me) like a problem.
I don't know (and I have no connections) what specifically Tiger meant here. The least objectionable version is this: Tiger was playing a ball designed by Nike, essentially the same as that commercially available from Nike, but manufactured for Nike in a Bridgestone plant. I see no issues there at all.
If, however, Tiger was playing a Bridgestone designed and sold ball with a swoosh painted on it, that rubs me wrong.
And I have no opinion on Nike as a golf company. I've used a couple of their clubs with no problem. Put it this way: I'd be stunned if this were any kind of Nike specific problem.

The understanding I have is when tiger switched to all Nike that Nike wasn’t in the ball business per se so Bridgestone was making the ball for Nike which would be a Bridgestone ball and different logo.  Then Nike developed their own ball and it was still a Bridgestone manufactured ball...just like with the other ball brands many pros play a variation of th ball that isn’t available at retail which imo isn’t really any different than the prototype clubs they play or the heads that come out with tighter manufacturing tolerances. So even if the Nike ball wasn’t the same version that was at retail and was more inline with the Bridgestone version it’s not really being deceptive.

what is probably mire deceptive is playing a miura iron with a titleist or Nike logo on it.

Pros have access to tour vans that are going to tweak equipment in ways that most amateurs don’t have access to or don’t want to pay from club builders.  Their heads aren’t made any different than what’s at retail they just have tighter build specs 

This is a clever marketing move for Bridgestone to penetrate a super competitive ball market.

“By the way, Tiger was using our gear when he was in his prime.”

Nike made their money, it’s time Bridgestone made theirs.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

47 minutes ago, bens197 said:

This is a clever marketing move for Bridgestone to penetrate a super competitive ball market.

“By the way, Tiger was using our gear when he was in his prime.”

Nike made their money, it’s time Bridgestone made theirs.

The interesting part is Bridgestone had no comment on the rumors so seeing it now that he’s with them is cool

Hasnt this been pretty common knowledge for a number of years now?  We all know that especially in the early days, neither his clubs nor his balls were made by Nike.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Heck, even the Bridgestone ball that Tiger plays new is specially made for him - it's not some off the shelf model.
I agree that this is a non story (especially since most of the golf community knew that Bridgestone was making balls for Nike.

This is my point. Why do we as the customer pay $650 for drivers or pay $55 for golf balls when the pros all play something other than what is sold at the golf course? I love some of the older Pro V1s but each year I have to buy what is new.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

2 minutes ago, jacustomgolf said:

This is my point. Why do we as the customer pay $650 for drivers or pay $55 for golf balls when the pros all play something other than what is sold at the golf course? I love some of the older Pro V1s but each year I have to buy what is new.

Josh,

It's absolutely a fair point you're making. And I'd add this (that is a pretty uncontroversial opinion on this forum): even if you could buy exactly the club or ball that Rory or whoever is playing, that doesn't mean that it would have any value for your own game.

But let me suggest a counterpoint. Car manufacturers spend a lot of money on professional auto racing. And yet we all recognize that there is almost nothing whatsoever "stock" about NASCAR. Nonetheless, winning at the highest level of racing (I'm thinking here of brands like Mercedes and Ferrari) help fortify the impression that these brands are capable of producing top-notch machines.

I think something similar is not unreasonable with golf brands. Sure, I don't for a moment think I'm pulling Cameron Champ's PING driver off the shelf. But the fact that PING has engineered a club capable of doing that in his hands gives me some measure of confidence that their consumer products are well-designed.

Full WITB with pictures

Josh,
It's absolutely a fair point you're making. And I'd add this (that is a pretty uncontroversial opinion on this forum): even if you could buy exactly the club or ball that Rory or whoever is playing, that doesn't mean that it would have any value for your own game.
But let me suggest a counterpoint. Car manufacturers spend a lot of money on professional auto racing. And yet we all recognize that there is almost nothing whatsoever "stock" about NASCAR. Nonetheless, winning at the highest level of racing (I'm thinking here of brands like Mercedes and Ferrari) help fortify the impression that these brands are capable of producing top-notch machines.
I think something similar is not unreasonable with golf brands. Sure, I don't for a moment think I'm pulling Cameron Champ's PING driver off the shelf. But the fact that PING has engineered a club capable of doing that in his hands gives me some measure of confidence that their consumer products are well-designed.

Very good point, but when NASCAR lost the “stock car” part they lost a lot of fans.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

I wonder how shocked most here would be to learn that their beloved store brand products (specifically Costco's Kirkland brand) are made by other companies (and most times the companies the store brands are directly competing with).  
Heck, does the average consumer know that an Apple iphone is mostly comprised of parts made by Samsung? Probably not.

@jlukes. That is so true!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Another interesting post from the main MGS Twitter account relevant to this thread:

The claim (for those not following the Twitter link) is that Tiger's current Bridgestone ball is an off-the-shelf model.

Full WITB with pictures

What a great discussion - MPR articulated the only point that I would make earlier.

I guess I get jacustom’s concerns but would reply don’t spend $650 on the big OEM driver. Instead of you have the 650 go get a driver custom built for yourself.

Personally I wouldn’t spend $1 on any club in a touring pro’s bag except perhaps a stray putter that might fit me or Harrington’s Eye 2 wedge. Other than that the clubs would be of no value to me.

Like any consumer I receive some validation from the fact that lots of guys on tour use Ping G400 drivers and Ping Irons.

There are plenty of good enough balls on the market that fit my game - I just need to pick one for the upcoming season, buy 3 dozen and be done with it - probably last years TMag Tp5x although I’m considering the optic Pro V1x - then I’d get 4 dozen customized.

Bottom line - I know what works for my game and am comfortable in that skin. Bridgestone makes a good golf ball - Nike did for a time too - whatever brand Tiger is using is going to be made exclusively for him and it’s not going to be the best choice for most players even those on tour.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

There are so many one offs for pros vs what is at retail. Tolerances on heads and shafts are alteady a given although the increase in performance on tour heads is very minimal from retail head. 

Look at the various TM proto irons that came out that were differnt than the p730.  Pros are trying to dial in a specific shot shape, trajectory, feel and so on. 

Here’s an example i saw regarding the Callaway staff and what they are playing in regards to epic flash 

confirmed Phil was still using rogue last week

Pros using Triple Diamond:
Ollie Schniederjans
Robert Garrigus
Patrick Rodgers
Marc Leishman
JJ Spaun

Pros Using Normal:
Brandon Grace
Jonathon Byrd

Have not Seen Yet:
Aaron Wise
Daniel Berger
Sergio Garcia
Henrik Stenson

• 3 months later...
Guy at the Bridgestone fitting booth at Wells Fargo said it was true.

He said what was true exactly?

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

1 hour ago, blackngold_blood said:

He said what was true exactly?

My guess is what tiger himself has said and what’s been known around for golf forever but neither company would acknowledge and that being Nike balls were made by Bridgestone 

My guess is what tiger himself has said and what’s been known around for golf forever but neither company would acknowledge and that being Nike balls were made by Bridgestone 

But just because they were produced in a Bridgestone factory doesn’t mean they are a Bridgestone ball. That is why I wanted clarification. People make blanket statements like that with nothing to back it up.