Jump to content
GolfSpy MPR

Tiger's Nike ball was a Bridgestone

Recommended Posts

Nike eventually had a ball division Rock Ishii was the lead but tiger continued to play the Bridgestone ball stamped with Nike. He is very particular in his gear which is why mike Taylor is still his club guy. Bridgestone continued to be where the Nike ball was made 
This is where the confusion comes in. You said all Nike balls were Bridgestone balls stamped Nike but then say Nike did have a ball division. Why have a ball division if the balls are just stamped Nike?

I have never heard Tiger say his Nike balls were Bridgestone balls with a Nike stamp so I can't confirm either way. I also don't know if Nike had a ball before a ball department.

I do know that it seems like you can't always believe what pro golfers say since they seem to say whatever the sponsors want them too.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

This is where the confusion comes in. You said all Nike balls were Bridgestone balls stamped Nike but then say Nike did have a ball division. Why have a ball division if the balls are just stamped Nike?

I have never heard Tiger say his Nike balls were Bridgestone balls with a Nike stamp so I can't confirm either way. I also don't know if Nike had a ball before a ball department.

I do know that it seems like you can't always believe what pro golfers say since they seem to say whatever the sponsors want them too.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app
 

http://www.golfwrx.com/421166/tiger-says-he-played-a-bridgestone-golf-ball-for-a-number-of-years/

like many brands companies jump into different equipment categories and want control over aspects of that product. So they developed their ball and Rock was the head of the division. It’s as simple as asking Bridgestone to make a ball and stamp the Nike logo on it. It’s something that has happened for years with irons and having a brand just stamp a logo on iron heads.

outsourcing production of a design happens as well so Nike develops a ball and outsourced the production to Bridgestone for their retail ball meanwhile the ball tiger plays is still a Bridgestone designed ball that has Nike logo. Most if not all of this can be found using the google machine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Up to you to decide for yourself. I'm inclined to take Johnny Wunder at his word, personally.


Ball talk starts around 32:45.
Still not completely buying it. Even if Tiger himself came out and said "The balls I won The Masters with were bought by my caddy that morning at Golf Galaxy", I would still be skeptical. It seems all golfers will say whatever the sponsors tell them to say.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app



Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
http://www.golfwrx.com/421166/tiger-says-he-played-a-bridgestone-golf-ball-for-a-number-of-years/

like many brands companies jump into different equipment categories and want control over aspects of that product. So they developed their ball and Rock was the head of the division. It’s as simple as asking Bridgestone to make a ball and stamp the Nike logo on it. It’s something that has happened for years with irons and having a brand just stamp a logo on iron heads.

outsourcing production of a design happens as well so Nike develops a ball and outsourced the production to Bridgestone for their retail ball meanwhile the ball tiger plays is still a Bridgestone designed ball that has Nike logo. Most if not all of this can be found using the google machine

 

I am not debating the golf balls were “made” in a Bridgestone factory. Everybody should know by now they were. What I am saying is there is Grey area there.

 

If they are Nike patents and R&D that go into the ball and Bridgestone merely produced the ball in their factory then they are Nike Balls.

 

I may have missed it but I can’t seem to remember seeing anywhere that Tiger says he played a Bridgestone ball that was just stamped Nike. “Made by Bridgestone” could simply be a marketing way of actually meaning produced. I will need hard facts stating he played a ball with no Nike input just a stamp.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

 


I am not debating is the golf balls were “made” in a Bridgestone factory. Everybody should know by now they were. What I am saying is there is Grey area there.

If they are Nike patents and R&D that go into the ball and Bridgestone merely produced the ball in their factory then they are Nike Balls.

I may have missed it but I can’t seem to remember seeing anywhere that Tiger says he played a Bridgestone ball that was just stamped Nike. “Made by Bridgestone” could simply be a marketing way of actually meaning produced. I will need hard facts stating he played a ball with no Nike input just a stamp.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

Obviously you aren’t going to take anyone’s word or the examples shown. Tiger has always played a Bridgestone designed & manufactures ball after switching away from a titleist.

nike outsourced it’s designs to Bridgestone for retail balls which a large majority of the ball manufacturers do. 

Tiger, miura, titleist, mizuno and Tm wont admit that miura has made all of Tiger’s irons and some of not all of Rory’s but that is common knowledge around golf as well. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Obviously you aren’t going to take anyone’s word or the examples shown. Tiger has always played a Bridgestone designed & manufactures ball after switching away from a titleist.
nike outsourced it’s designs to Bridgestone for retail balls which a large majority of the ball manufacturers do. 
Tiger, miura, titleist, mizuno and Tm wont admit that miura has made all of Tiger’s irons and some of not all of Rory’s but that is common knowledge around golf as well. 
It isn't about taking someone's word on the matter. I question things I probably don't need to question but at the same time I like the see statements backed up with facts.

That statement of Tigers posted in the WRX article says he played a Nike ball maded by Bridgestone so it was an easy switch for him. There is no way to prove he didn't mean simply produced instead of a ball simply stamped Nike without asking the man himself to clarify.

Again if Bridgestone had nothing to do with the ball except producing it in their factory and all design, patents, and R&D we're from Nike it is a NIKE BALL!

Probably a bad example but if you put together a TV stand at home it isn't made by you just because you assembled it.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, blackngold_blood said:

It isn't about taking someone's word on the matter. I question things I probably don't need to question but at the same time I like the see statements backed up with facts.

That statement of Tigers posted in the WRX article says he played a Nike ball maded by Bridgestone so it was an easy switch for him. There is no way to prove he didn't mean simply produced instead of a ball simply stamped Nike without asking the man himself to clarify.

Again if Bridgestone had nothing to do with the ball except producing it in their factory and all design, patents, and R&D we're from Nike it is a NIKE BALL!

Probably a bad example but if you put together a TV stand at home it isn't made by you just because you assembled it.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app
 

The txg video linked above it’s stated in there that he doesn’t play a Rock Ishii/Nike patented ball. He plays an off the rack retail Bridgestone which is why the transition was easy. He wasn’t playing something Nike designed. Not sure it can any clearer from that video 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The txg video linked above it’s stated in there that he doesn’t play a Rock Ishii/Nike patented ball. He plays an off the rack retail Bridgestone which is why the transition was easy. He wasn’t playing something Nike designed. Not sure it can any clearer from that video 

I'm not trying to be a jerk so I hope you arent getting upset but where does it say this exactly? The only thing I heard was about a ball at shinnecock last year. He was already playing the tour b ball then. That has nothing to do with Nike.

Again I am not trying to be a jerk just trying to figure this out and your really the only one conversing with me!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk so I hope you arent getting upset but where does it say this exactly? The only thing I heard was about a ball at shinnecock last year. He was already playing the tour b ball then. That has nothing to do with Nike.

Again I am not trying to be a jerk just trying to figure this out and your really the only one conversing with me!emoji16.png

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

 

 

 

Not trying to be a jerk either and not getting upset. The txg video somewhere between 32 and 33 minute mark the guy on the right makes the comment about it not being a Rock Ishii Nike ball. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not trying to be a jerk either and not getting upset. The txg video somewhere between 32 and 33 minute mark the guy on the right makes the comment about it not being a Rock Ishii Nike ball. 
I heard that too but he says it was at Shinnecock last year so he would already have been under Bridgestone contract and playing the tour b.

There is so much Grey area and confusing words being used on these types of topics which is why I keep questioning things. I have no contacts in the golf industry. I'm just a weekend hacker from Podunk Iowa but I do love everything about this game and want to know everything possible.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

I heard that too but he says it was at Shinnecock last year so he would already have been under Bridgestone contract and playing the tour b.

There is so much Grey area and confusing words being used on these types of topics which is why I keep questioning things. I have no contacts in the golf industry. I'm just a weekend hacker from Podunk Iowa but I do love everything about this game and want to know everything possible.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app
 

When tiger signed with Nike his equipment contract was setup that he could play his curevt gear until Nike produced gear that worked for him. His irons were miura and they made more for him but stamped Nike logo on there (no one will admit this but it’s well known in the industry). The same occurred with the ball. Nike has Bridgestone stamp the swoosh in their ball, meanwhile Nike was developing their golf products for retail. That’s where Rock Ishii comes in. He along with the Nike r&d department came up with all the balls. Since tiger is very particular about his gear he continued to play a Nike logo ball that was designed and manufactured by Bridgestone. He never played a true Rock Ishii Nike ball.

the switch to Bridgestone was easy because it was the same ball he had been using since his Nike days. Unlike Phil who uses a non retail version of the chrome soft, Sergio, rose and others who have a non retail TM ball or titleist pros who use various versions of the prov that aren’t retail or even older versions of the ball, there was no need to tweak the Bridgestone ball for tiger. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

Still not completely buying it. Even if Tiger himself came out and said "The balls I won The Masters with were bought by my caddy that morning at Golf Galaxy", I would still be skeptical. It seems all golfers will say whatever the sponsors tell them to say.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app
 

“What people don’t realize is that Bridgestone made the Nike golf ball for a number of years,” Woods said. “It’s a great ball and making the switch wasn’t that hard.”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://thepnga.org/the-man-behind-nike-golfs-transformational-golf-balls-rock-ishii-oga-member/

Now I see where from what seems like 1996-2002 Nike didn’t have a true ball division so apparently Bridgestone made them during that time period. The article also says that Rock Ishii designed the first Nike ball. The very ball tiger used in the historical 2000 US Open win.




Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

https://thepnga.org/the-man-behind-nike-golfs-transformational-golf-balls-rock-ishii-oga-member/

Now I see where from what seems like 1996-2002 Nike didn’t have a true ball division so apparently Bridgestone made them during that time period. The article also says that Rock Ishii designed the first Nike ball. The very ball tiger used in the historical 2000 US Open win.




Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

He was with Bridgestone and designed the Nike ball tiger used. It was a Bridgestone design with nike logo. It’s semantics that I think is what’s causing you hang up

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
He was with Bridgestone and designed the Nike ball tiger used. It was a Bridgestone design with nike logo. It’s semantics that I think is what’s causing you hang up

You can call it semantics or whatever you want. I just said that Nike didn’t have a true ball division until 2002. Yes Ishii was employed by Bridgestone when he design the Nike ball Tiger used. So yes it can be said that the Nike ball Tiger used until 2002 or about then were designed by Rock Ishii who was employed by Bridgestone and made in a Bridgestone factory. But I can’t find any information proving that once Nike employed Rock Ishii in 2002 and started its own ball division that Tiger still played a Bridgestone ball stamped Nike.

So technically speaking saying Tiger’s Nike ball was a Bridgestone ball is correct for at least the beginning of his career.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:


You can call it semantics or whatever you want. I just said that Nike didn’t have a true ball division until 2002. Yes Ishii was employed by Bridgestone when he design the Nike ball Tiger used. So yes it can be said that the Nike ball Tiger used until 2002 or about then were designed by Rock Ishii who was employed by Bridgestone and made in a Bridgestone factory. But I can’t find any information proving that once Nike employed Rock Ishii in 2002 and started its own ball division that Tiger still played a Bridgestone ball stamped Nike.

So technically speaking saying Tiger’s Nike ball was a Bridgestone ball is correct for at least the beginning of his career.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

It’s like a puzzle you have to put the pieces together. Tiger has certain preferences and doesn’t change it’s why his irons have been the same forever and it’s taken TM this long on getting his TM stamped irons to his approval with two phases so far and at a point they can replicate them rather easily. His ball hasn’t changed it’s why whether it was a Nike ball which was nothing more than a logo stamped on Rock’s design that then stays with Bridgestone when Rock leaves to go to Nike til shinnecock when he buys Bridgestone from the pro shop it’s the same ball as was mentioned in the video that it wasn’t a Ishii Nike designed ball...which means that the Nike balls Rock designed after going to Nike were not the balls tiger played.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is definitely a puzzle but also a matter of how each person interprets the things being said.

When he bought the Bridgestone balls in the pro shop they obviously weren’t Nike balls. He was already signed with Bridgestone at that time. He bought Tour B XS.

Someone just needs to straight up ask him and keep asking until he finally comes out and gives a nondescript answer.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

It is definitely a puzzle but also a matter of how each person interprets the things being said.

When he bought the Bridgestone balls in the pro shop they obviously weren’t Nike balls. He was already signed with Bridgestone at that time. He bought Tour B XS.

Someone just needs to straight up ask him and keep asking until he finally comes out and gives a nondescript answer.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Why would they need to keep asking him. 1) nike golf balls and clubs are no longer being made 2) he’s with Bridgestone now and they are marketing that he plays the same ball everyone can get at the store which isn’t possible for Callaway tour balls, some TM and Titleist 3) most golf fans dont care 4) it’s a non story and 5) the vast majority of golfers that care know he has always played a Bridgestone ball with a Nike logo on it and miura irons stamped with titleist, Nike and now TM.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Why would they need to keep asking him. 1) nike golf balls and clubs are no longer being made 2) he’s with Bridgestone now and they are marketing that he plays the same ball everyone can get at the store which isn’t possible for Callaway tour balls, some TM and Titleist 3) most golf fans dont care 4) it’s a non story and 5) the vast majority of golfers that care know he has always played a Bridgestone ball with a Nike logo on it and miura irons stamped with titleist, Nike and now TM.
 

It is purely selfish reasons for wanting them to keep asking him. I agree it is mainly a non story and most probably don’t care but I would love to know.

Now as far as #5 on your list goes with the ball, we will have to agree to disagree. While you may be sure that he always played a Bridgestone ball stamped Nike, I have yet to see it backed up by CLEAR facts.

Yes he did say that Bridgestone made Nike balls for years but he didn’t say they always made mine!


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...