TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fat to Fit - My Journey to Better

Wow!  With that plan you are destined for success!!  Good luck and thanks for sharing.  Excited to hear how it goes.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Best of luck to you mate, hope you continue on the path you've chosen.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Wow that's a pretty regimented workout. Wish you great success in achieving your goals - please keep us posted on your progress. 

Fyi we do have at least a couple of weight loss - fitness threads going here so you may want to include your progress there as well. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

28 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Wow that's a pretty regimented workout. Wish you great success in achieving your goals - please keep us posted on your progress. 

Fyi we do have at least a couple of weight loss - fitness threads going here so you may want to include your progress there as well. 

Thanks! 

Yeah, I thought about posting in one of them and I still may just for quick updates, but thought I'd like to start a new thread for longer posts. I wouldn't want to hijack another thread like that.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Day 2: Not much to report yet, but I'll be doing a "recovery" workout this evening (foam rolling, stretching, mobility work).

• Mobility
    • Three Plane Neck 30 seconds
    • Shoulder Circles 30 seconds
    • Fist Exercise 30 seconds
    • Wrist Rotations 30 seconds
    • Elbow Circles 30 seconds
    • Egyptian 30 seconds
    • Arm Circles 30 seconds
    • Hula Hoop 30 seconds
    • Ankle Circles 30 seconds
    • Knee Circles 30 seconds
  • Flexibility
    • Toe Hang 30 seconds
    • Cobra 30 seconds
    • Spine Rotation w/ Club 30 seconds
    • Head Turner 30 sec/side
    • Headache Buster 30 sec/side
    • Chest Stretch 1 30 sec/side
    • Chest Stretch 2 30 sec/side
    • Backswing Angel 30 seconds
    • Wrist Flexion 30 seconds
    • Shoulder Stretch 30 sec/side
    • Kneeling Hip Flexor 30 sec/side
    • Piriformis 30 sec/side
    • Seated Groin Stretch 30 seconds
    • Calf Stretch 30 sec/side
  • Foam Rolling (same as yesterday)
    • Hamstrings
    • Calves
    • Quads
    • IT Band
    • Hip Flexors
    • Lower Back
    • Upper Back/Traps

I'll have to actually refer back to Christian's book to see what all of these exercises are (it's been a while). Was going to try and get up early to do all of this, but got to bed late and woke up several times during the night so decided to rest just a little extra. Still, I was awake by 4:30 which is an improvement over my previous morning routine.

As someone who tipped the scales at 250+ in my teens and now sit between 170-180 at 30, Just wanted to chime in and say, "You can do it!." 

I'm excited to follow your progress.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

4 hours ago, edingc said:

As someone who tipped the scales at 250+ in my teens and now sit between 170-180 at 30, Just wanted to chime in and say, "You can do it!." 

I'm excited to follow your progress.

That's awesome!

I've gotten it off before, but this time is definitely a little different. I've been working so much over the past 2-3 years  (confined to a desk) that I've lost a lot of muscle mass. This is by far the weakest I've ever been at any point in my life as an adult, but I know I can do it. Just gotta push. One thing that's really helping so far is that I've committed myself to reading (from an actual book) daily. I just finished two short works by James Allen: As a Man Thinketh and Out From the Heart. The text from those has helped me pry myself out of bed the past two mornings when I just wanted to kill the alarm and close my eyes for a few more minutes.

Altogether, I have a list of 24 books I want to try and read in 2019 (I may not get there, but I'll try my hardest). Of those, here are several my fellow spies may enjoy if you haven't read them already.

• Every Shot Counts by Mark Broadie
  • Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
  • The Dichotomy of Leadership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
  • Iron John by Robert Bly
  • The Practice Manual by Adam Young
  • The Putting Prescription by Dr. Craig L. Farnsworth
  • Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters by Meg Meeker
  • Zen Golf by Joseph Parent
  • Raising Men by Eric Davis
  • The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Some of these I've already read in the past, but I want to revisit them in 2019. I've read The Road (one of my favorite fictional books ever) half a dozen times probably. Like I said in my original post, 2019 is about changing a lot more than diet and exercise.

Edited by TR1PTIK

Tr1ptik.. I'm cheering you on, too! I have no large-to-small story to tell, but respect for those who make a lifelong commitment to their health and fitness 👍

Git 'er done!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Update:

I should have pushed myself to get up early Friday morning which may have spared me from the trouble I'm now dealing with. You see, I woke up Friday with a Charley Horse in my right calf and despite all of my efforts so far, it is still knotted and painful. Though I can walk relatively normal now, I spent most of my weekend hobbling around barely able to put weight on my right leg without that muscle contracting. I've had several Charley Horses before, but none have caused me so much discomfort and for such a long period of time. Usually, I'm just a little sore the day it occurred and that's it.

Anyway I opted to take the weekend off and I will try to get back at it this evening (after a good deal of foam rolling). On the plus side, since I wasn't able to exercise, I decided to do a little extra reading and work on some meal prep. I started Every Shot Counts on Friday and I'm about halfway through it already. It's been an okay read so far, but given the knowledge I already had about strokes gained I feel his book could be a lot smaller. He spends an awful lot of time restating the same things over and over (like how strokes gained putting originated on tour and who was involved) and it can be easy for me to tune out a bit while reading - my eyes continue to scroll the pages and my brain processes the words, but retention goes way down. For someone who has little to no knowledge of how strokes gained works I think this would be a good read though. Still, I'm eager to continue in hopes of learning a bit more than what I already know and have been contemplating whether or not I will create a spreadsheet to apply strokes gained to my own rounds.

That's about it for now. I'm sure I'll post again tomorrow morning (hopefully to report that I had a good workout and that my leg feels better).

I love the fact you have a plan. That is the main way in order to be successful.

I have no doubt you will be hitting this goal!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

2 minutes ago, jayjay0808 said:

I love the fact you have a plan. That is the main way in order to be successful.

I have no doubt you will be hitting this goal!

Thanks! I hate the start that I'm off to - leg was still bothering me last night but should be good to go after another session of foam rolling and stretching this evening.

The most difficult part of any fitness regime is the diet. I find counting calories rather difficult even with MyFitnessPal and similar apps - primarily because I'm very concerned about eating the right calories (macro intake) so that I have fuel for my workouts and don't feel heavily fatigued. 

Best wishes and good for you! I have a somewhat similar story from a year ago only at nearly twice your age. Took my time and went from 209 to 165. I’ve been at 165 for 3 months and know that’s my weight!

You can do it - Christian Henning was on MGS a number of years back. I have his stuff and started in it - it was helpful but the Florida summer got in the way and I failed to appreciate the importance of good nutrition to an exercise program.

Got that part down now.

We’re rooting for you - keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

24 minutes ago, revkev said:

Best wishes and good for you! I have a somewhat similar story from a year ago only at nearly twice your age. Took my time and went from 209 to 165. I’ve been at 165 for 3 months and know that’s my weight!

You can do it - Christian Henning was on MGS a number of years back. I have his stuff and started in it - it was helpful but the Florida summer got in the way and I failed to appreciate the importance of good nutrition to an exercise program.

Got that part down now.

We’re rooting for you - keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thanks @revkev!

My first time around losing a bunch of weight I signed up for one of Christian's weight loss challenges. I think it was only the second time he had done one and was offering like $500 for the winner. I made it about three quarters of the way through and then started experiencing significant back pain - I was way out of alignment and something was pinching a nerve. It threw me off track for the challenge but I got down to a good weight and after my back started feeling better I was able to continue on in the gym with my own programs. I don't quite remember when, where, or why everything went off track, but definitely within the past three years things have gotten about as bad as they could.

I'm ready to get back to where I was and (hopefully) further.

On 1/28/2019 at 8:09 AM, TR1PTIK said:

I woke up Friday with a Charley Horse in my right calf and despite all of my efforts so far, it is still knotted and painful.

Don't know if it's just an old wives tale or not, but .. drink more water (hydration) and eat bananas (potassium) to counter muscle cramps, especially Charlie horses...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

41 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Don't know if it's just an old wives tale or not, but .. drink more water (hydration) and eat bananas (potassium) to counter muscle cramps, especially Charlie horses...

Seconded. Water and potassium (any type really not just bananas) are the best for cramps. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

12 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Both do help. I'm not a huge fan of bananas, but I will eat them on occasion (if there's still one left after my son has eaten his share lol). I also try to drink water as often as I can, but have recently set a goal to drink a gallon a day minimum. I've also had trouble with my legs though - muscle cramps and easy shin splints. It's probably a combination of multiple things including what you've mentioned. I'm hopeful getting my health back on track will remedy the issue.

Well I haven't had the best start to my fitness journey - not even close. I failed to get any workouts beyond some stretching and foam rolling done after my leg decided to retaliate against me - though I did eat a few bananas and drink more water 🙂. However, the wild change in temperature enabled me to play golf for the first time this year on Friday and I walked the front nine.  My legs and feet were very sore afterwards, but it was worth it to get out on a nice day. There was a lot of rust to shake off having not been on a course since October/November, but I managed a handful of quality shots and made some excellent recoveries. Unfortunately, my bad shots were really bad and I wound up shooting 93 - multiple doubles and a triple 😞.

On the plus side of everything, I've done well to up my water intake while staying away from soft drinks and my reading goals are on track. I finished Every Shot Counts on Friday and started reading Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin. I read this last year and enjoyed it, so I wanted to read it again before jumping into their new book The Dichotomy of Leadership. Jocko's writing and podcasts are always a good motivator for me to get off my butt and do something so I plan on working out tonight and then at least two more this week mixed in with plenty of stretching and foam rolling.

Pickle juice ends all cramps for me. I have no idea why but it has always worked. 

I recently got back into a fitness regiment and offer the following: keep going and double down and work harder each time you fail. It's the only way you can do anything with weight. It's a long journey and wish you the best of luck.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

1 hour ago, sp0rtsfan86 said:

Pickle juice ends all cramps for me. I have no idea why but it has always worked. 

I recently got back into a fitness regiment and offer the following: keep going and double down and work harder each time you fail. It's the only way you can do anything with weight. It's a long journey and wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to read up on the pickle juice tip. There'd have to be a lot of benefit to it for me tackle that one lol - I don't really like pickles.

Good for you and keep it up!

The following is purely anecdotal evidence based on myself.

Awesome work out plan, but I didn't see anything in there about nutrition. As a 35 year old I can tell you from experience that exercise alone doesn't do it for us anymore. I could drop weight so easily in my 20's just by increasing workout volume. Not so anymore—likely due to not as much sleep, work stress, kid stress, changing biochemistry with age, who knows?

I might use this thread to keep myself more accountable!

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

1 minute ago, chemclub said:

Good for you and keep it up!

The following is purely anecdotal evidence based on myself.

Awesome work out plan, but I didn't see anything in there about nutrition. As a 35 year old I can tell you from experience that exercise alone doesn't do it for us anymore. I could drop weight so easily in my 20's just by increasing workout volume. Not so anymore—likely due to not as much sleep, work stress, kid stress, changing biochemistry with age, who knows?

I might use this thread to keep myself more accountable!

I think I've mentioned the need to meal prep a few times, but for the most part my MEALS aren't horrible. Lots of baked chicken, sweet potatoes and broccoli, along with other veggies and some fruit. However, I have developed a few bad habits which is why I've been working on increasing my water intake and eliminating pop from my diet. I've also eliminated sweets while at work (sweets aren't really an issue at home - but I've developed a habit of munching on candy to help me stay upright at my desk). Aside from that, I do need to get better about tracking caloric intake and making sure it lines up with current goals. I put together an Excel spreadsheet years ago that makes this part fairly easy, I just have to make the time to ensure my meals actually line up with said goals.

MealPlanner.jpg.55b4220fa7343db6947370d389a241f2.jpg

These goals are based on a BMR of 2170 kcal which I got by averaging the results of the Harris Benedict and Katch-McArdle Equations. I then did a bunch of research on "optimal" macros for weight loss. I put quotation marks around the word optimal because there really is no such thing for every person, but it gives me a good starting point. I could arguably adjust the activity multiplier down to 1.2 which would reduce my total caloric intake to just shy of 2100 kcal, but not sure if that would be appropriate or not since I do plan on adding exercise.

For those that are unfamiliar, that multiplier works as follows:

• 1.2 = Sedentary
  • 1.375 = Lightly Active
  • 1.55 = Moderately Active
  • 1.725 = Very Active
  • 1.9 = Extremely Active

Here's a link that offers up a little more detail - https://www.k-state.edu/paccats/Contents/PA/PDF/Physical Activity and Controlling Weight.pdf.

My research on the topic of weight loss (and specifically how to apply these calculations) make note that these formulas often produce a number which is higher than what your body actually needs. The estimation of caloric intake based on kcal per lb of body weight as mentioned in the link above is even worse. Using that method, I "could" consume nearly 2900 kcal per day and still lose weight. That would be the same as using an activity multiplier of 1.725 which generally applies to collegiate level and professional athletes - relatively few people could classify as "Extremely Active". Your average gym rat would likely only use a multiplier of 1.55.

Looks like you have a solid plan. I only brought it up because I think you reach an age where nutrition starts to dominate over exercise. You can beat the piss out of yourself all you want, but if the fuel mix isn't right, you just stay put in terms of body fat.

For me I am really trying to lower my carb intake because I have blood markers for insulin insensitivity which is is linked to driving high cholesterol (which I also have, my lipids in general are all bad). I have been exercising hard for 2 years with no change so I have to revisit the number of office sweets I similarly consume through out the day. Exercise and restricting simple carbs can return your insulin sensitivity so we will see how my blood numbers look in a few months.

I'll post here with my results!

Then next step is going pure keto so I can be totally ripped!

13 hours ago, chemclub said:

Looks like you have a solid plan. I only brought it up because I think you reach an age where nutrition starts to dominate over exercise. You can beat the piss out of yourself all you want, but if the fuel mix isn't right, you just stay put in terms of body fat.

For me I am really trying to lower my carb intake because I have blood markers for insulin insensitivity which is is linked to driving high cholesterol (which I also have, my lipids in general are all bad). I have been exercising hard for 2 years with no change so I have to revisit the number of office sweets I similarly consume through out the day. Exercise and restricting simple carbs can return your insulin sensitivity so we will see how my blood numbers look in a few months.

I'll post here with my results!

Then next step is going pure keto so I can be totally ripped!

I appreciate the mention @chemclub. I know a lot of people forget or underestimate how important nutrition is to achieving their fitness goals.

Looks like you're well aware of what your needs are as well and I wish you the best of luck. Not to imply or suggest in anyway that keto is a bad move, but I would caution you a bit on it simply because keto can be brutal mentally. It's not easy to go super low carb like that and I've seen plenty of people fail only to quickly regain the weight after reintroducing carbs to their diet. It is true though, if you want to lose weight you need to up your fat intake and knock down the carbs. Now that I'm talking about it, I may go ahead and adjust my macros just a bit more - especially after going back through some of the articles that helped me achieve my goals in the past.

Here are two that may help for anyone unfamiliar:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ask-the-ripped-dude-magical-macronutrient-ratio-for-fat-loss.html

I'll have to figure out a way to share my spreadsheet for those who are interested. It makes it easier to get the most out of all of this - or at least it does for me.

Edited by TR1PTIK

I agree with everything you said. I brought up keto partly in jest and because it is a hot topic right now.

I don't think I could really ever do strict keto. I think nutrition is all about finding what works best for you and what you can reasonably maintain. Although, I would say we could all do with lowering our carb intake if you are overweight—it can only help.

My meal prep always hinges around high protein, veg (low glycemic) and fat wherever I can get it. I don't worry about adding higher carb stuff in since I know I am going to find it somewhere through out my week, either intentionally or not. Try to make everything from scratch as well.

Based on your links above, I would place myself between a meso to endomorph. Like I said, my goals are mostly centered around getting my blood numbers back in check (fat loss is a byproduct of that). 

Sorry I haven't been checking in. Last week was kind of rough generally speaking, but that's all over. Work outs have still been hit and miss unfortunately, but the diet seems to be doing the trick. After my discussion with @chemclub, I made a few more adjustments and am already seeing improvements. Currently down 3lbs from a week ago. My weight fluctuates quite a bit though so it may not settle there unless I step up on the exercise. 

My reading goals are still on track for the year at least. I've really enjoyed tackling this goal so far. I just finished my fourth book - Extreme Ownership - and I'm really excited for the 5th - Dichotomy of Leadership. Both were written by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin for anyone unfamiliar. Well worth the read in my opinion. 

Edited by TR1PTIK

On 2/5/2019 at 10:23 AM, chemclub said:

I agree with everything you said. I brought up keto partly in jest and because it is a hot topic right now.

I don't think I could really ever do strict keto. I think nutrition is all about finding what works best for you and what you can reasonably maintain. Although, I would say we could all do with lowering our carb intake if you are overweight—it can only help.

My meal prep always hinges around high protein, veg (low glycemic) and fat wherever I can get it. I don't worry about adding higher carb stuff in since I know I am going to find it somewhere through out my week, either intentionally or not. Try to make everything from scratch as well.

Based on your links above, I would place myself between a meso to endomorph. Like I said, my goals are mostly centered around getting my blood numbers back in check (fat loss is a byproduct of that). 

I'll happily chime in and mention this year will mark seven years on keto for my wife and me. In my first three months, I went from 210 to 170 and have maintained 160-180 pretty effortlessly since. 

I second you - the key to any successful healthy lifestyle is about doing whatever is easy for you to maintain. 

I agree that my experience may not be indicative of everyone's, as @TR1PTIK mentioned keto can be difficult for certain people. Historically, I was not a big bread or potato fan, so for me the biggest adjustment was giving up pizza (which I now find off putting - the crust at least) and learning how to make vegetables more appetizing.

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up

Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

1 hour ago, edingc said:

Historically, I was not a big bread or potato fan, so for me the biggest adjustment was giving up pizza (which I now find off putting - the crust at least) and learning how to make vegetables more appetizing.

Yeah, I don't think keto would quite work for me. Bread and potatoes are life! LOL I do agree about the pizza. Even though I still can eat it, it's not a food I enjoy as much as I used to since I've tried to eat healthier foods over the past few years. 

While not low enough to be considered keto, I did lower my carb intake to 20%. Protein and fat are set at 50% and 30% respectively (at least for this week). Meal prep has been difficult of late so I opted to piece together a one-week meal plan using recipes from The Shredded Chef cookbook. It cost a little more money to do it this way, but it was easy to draw up a plan and carve out time to follow the instructions for the recipes. I fully intend to develop my own plan from scratch this week so I have something a little more cost-effective and better suited to my personal tastes.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after many failed attempts to get the workouts going, I've decided to scrap my original plans. I'm the type of person who easily falls into the trap of everything needing to be perfect. I'm not normally a type A person, but when it comes to achieving certain objectives I can become obsessive and will get bent out of shape/lose my motivation if something prevents me from doing precisely what I set out to do. It's something I'm really trying to work on - especially as it pertains to fitness. With that in mind, the plan from here on out is to simply get to the gym as often as I can (hopefully 3-5 times a week). I made it there with my wife and kids on Tuesday and had a decent workout. Quite frankly, I would have liked to keep going longer than I did, but my body was telling me to stop so I listened and went home. I plan on going back tonight. No particular agenda in mind other than working a different set of muscles from last time.

I had hoped to be posting here more frequently, but it just hasn't worked out that way - probably because I haven't been making the kind of progress I wanted, but I'm going to try and step it up. I appreciate the support from those of you following along and commenting. I know I'm not the only one who struggles with fitness so if you've had similar experiences in your fitness journey, I'd love to hear about them and how you overcame them. If you're still struggling, post that up as well so we can encourage each other to keep moving forward.

Thanks spies!

11 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I appreciate the support from those of you following along and commenting. I know I'm not the only one who struggles with fitness so if you've had similar experiences in your fitness journey, I'd love to hear about them and how you overcame them. If you're still struggling, post that up as well so we can encourage each other to keep moving forward.

Totally get it. I too struggle often with perfect being the enemy of good. I think you have the right mindset going forward, getting to the gym when you can and making it a priority to go, but maybe not feeling like you didn't do something right if you miss a day or three. 

I try to get to the gym before work three times a week. The last month has been extremely rocky because the Polar Vortex caused all sorts of havoc. First, all of the snow shut down the gym for a week. Then, that snow thawing so quickly had me up in the middle of the night several days in a row shoveling water out of our basement. Finally, the ice storms that followed knocked out my power for two days. I still haven't been to the gym three times in a week for over a month now. 

Do you have the ability to do things at home? Even bodyweight exercise or yoga? I have found doing my SuperSpeed sticks at home helps to keep me feeling like I'm doing something. It's not a workout exactly, but it does benefit my golf game so it's at least a form of training.

And, as long as you're still doing OK with diet, you're 80-90 percent there. Exercise just helps. 

3 Wood: 
4 Utility: 
5-PW:
50°, 54°, 58°:
Putter:
Grips: 

Riding On: