Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Riding Golf Carts

fixyurdivot

9 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

The ICON salesman was very upfront and honest about the $2600 upcharge for the lithium option.  He advised to start with the AGM's for two reasons; first that you basically paid for the AGM's in the base price and only get about $300 credit swapping out as a new purchase, secondly, because the lithium battery technology for golf carts is evolving pretty quick, and both better tech at a lower price is the likely future, might as well get 3-4 years use on the wet cells and get whatever advances and lower pricing comes along.

I will say that both the EZGO rebuilder place and Club Car said they have gone through some learning curves on lithium battery and controller configurations on rebuilds. The EZGO outfit recalling about 20+ carts a few years ago due to issues and concerns about fire risk.  They have settled on a new configuration that seems to be performing well.  My takeaway from these discussions is that one needs to wade into the lithium upgrade with some good research.

We're going to check out the Yamaha dealer next.  I saw a few 2018's with their newer AC drive motors (25 mph) that looked pretty nice and priced competitively.  

Kind of leaning towards ICON but there really isn't much in the way of consumer reviews that I can find. If anyone has one or knows friends that do, please share.

Adding a couple of  article on the ICON's for others who might be interested.

Plenty of ICON's both here and at our Ohio place. Nice looking carts - if you can swing it I'd definitely pop for the lithiums. I'm always checking water levels. And if cost is a factor ask the maintenance side of the cart dealers for the cost of replacing 4 - 12V wet cells. They can vary from location to location - but I'd put it at an average of $1,300 for replacing all 4. Note: I get about 5-6 years out of them 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

So today, we purchased a 2018 refurbished/like new Yamaha.  It's their PowerTech AC model. My wife says it was the Notre Dame blue color that put me over the top but truthfully it was that among other things. Principally a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty on all parts and labor; including the new batteries!  None of the other places/makes we looked at offered that. The company has been in business here for 53 years... that's usually a good sign.

I found the overall layout, comfort of ride, custom upholstery, and rocket-like acceleration of a Tesla checked all the boxes.  This is high speed model listed as 25 mph but they get close to 30 on a fresh charge.  They are installing a carbon fiber console cover with locking doors and the battery water fill unit. It should be arriving Monday.  I'll add some pictures when it gets here.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

36 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

So today, we purchased a 2018 refurbished/like new Yamaha.  It's their PowerTech AC model. My wife says it was the Notre Dame blue color that put me over the top but truthfully it was that among other things. Principally a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty on all parts and labor; including the new batteries!  None of the other places/makes we looked at offered that. The company has been in business here for 53 years... that's usually a good sign.

I found the overall layout, comfort of ride, custom upholstery, and rocket-like acceleration of a Tesla checked all the boxes.  This is high speed model listed as 25 mph but they get close to 30 on a fresh charge.  They are installing a carbon fiber console cover with locking doors and the battery water fill unit. It should be arriving Monday.  I'll add some pictures when it gets here.

Nice!!  So when we come in January, we can use it while you walk with your "Follow Me" trolly, right!!  😃

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The choice of golf cart is dictated by what you want and what your individual country club demands.

I had EZGO electric from 1996 to 2020, it was a 36volt. Maintenance maintenance is the key.

I now have a Club Car 2022 Onward with lithium battery. It is excellent and rides well. It is not street legal so it tops out at 19.2 mph. 

These carts today are not inexpensive so be prepared to pay more than you think.

My club recently switched from EZGO to Club Car.  Nobody is happy with the change.  Rougher ride, overly tall bucket seats, leg press like gas pedal with regenerative breaking, and the biggest negative:  No automatic parking brake like the EZGO.

The EZGOs had an automatic parking break, it's a clutch that engages when you stop.  It does make a bit of a noise when it does, but worth the trade off of not having to mash the parking break setting on most carts.  Just make sure the EZGO you're considering has this feature.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my wife was feeling tired and decided we'd go furniture shopping another day... gee, what to do?  I know, how about a round of golf with the new cart.  I've had it since Monday but chose to walk the Monday and Wednesdays rounds.  Today I was going to walk again and my wife said "you better get that cart out and make sure everything works" 😁.  It worked flawlessly and my GPS showed 28 mph on the way back home from the course.  I've even got my Notre Dame flag rigged up (though I need to find a better/more secure mount).  Next project will be getting the back-up alarm and horn to play this. 👍

cart4.jpg.9753415da7a76aff1faa7dc9affe1680.jpgcart3.jpg.a6e01569ad9ca82b4a8e50798afde207.jpgcart2.jpg.7265589f2b6dc15d108d31039768befa.jpgcart1.jpg.2d6970327f7c554bac3c965f95065be2.jpgcart.jpg.b72beaa7a41a893fdc1a99ccb4dd450b.jpgcart_lake.jpg.35906b46921857259ac6da179c028469.jpg

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

18 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, my wife was feeling tired and decided we'd go furniture shopping another day... gee, what to do?  I know, how about a round of golf with the new cart.  I've had it since Monday but chose to walk the Monday and Wednesdays rounds.  Today I was going to walk again and my wife said "you better get that cart out and make sure everything works" 😁.  It worked flawlessly and my GPS showed 28 mph on the way back home from the course.  I've even got my Notre Dame flag rigged up (though I need to find a better/more secure mount).  Next project will be getting the back-up alarm and horn to play this. 👍

cart4.jpg.9753415da7a76aff1faa7dc9affe1680.jpgcart3.jpg.a6e01569ad9ca82b4a8e50798afde207.jpgcart2.jpg.7265589f2b6dc15d108d31039768befa.jpgcart1.jpg.2d6970327f7c554bac3c965f95065be2.jpgcart.jpg.b72beaa7a41a893fdc1a99ccb4dd450b.jpgcart_lake.jpg.35906b46921857259ac6da179c028469.jpg

Have fun with it!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/26/2022 at 5:01 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Great looking cart - I like both the wheels and the seats. As mentioned in the "Random" thread, we ended up buying a 'new to us' cart' last week. This was an unplanned purchase; the 2009 RXV cart  which we bought new was starting to have noise coming out of one of the rear wheels (bearings?). Add to that it needed new batteries $1,100, new tires, and a safety factor - I did't want my wife to get stuck at the far end of the course,  we decided to get a newer one.  We ended up buying a 2017 TXT for $6,000. before trade in. It was completely reconditioned including, new wheels/tires, batteries, shocks, etc. and the similar color called 'Electric Blue' Now the fun starts putting the accessories on; club cover, side curtains, etc.

IMG_9510.jpg.2d915d9b74beb79427a27aef445a805d.jpg

IMG_9509.jpg.cceffecf60b66bd54e2902abce1cae49.jpg

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

@tony@CIC @fixyurdivot What is it with Blue golf carts!?!  Is it like dress shirts... blue is the new white?  😆

No one wants boring white or green anymore. Kenny you obviously haven't been to a golf cart dealership lately where colors range from bronze to lime green. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

10 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

No one wants boring white or green anymore. Kenny you obviously haven't been to a golf cart dealership lately where colors range from bronze to lime green. 

I’ve seen a Lime Green cart riding around lately, it looks like a giant lime!

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

I’ve seen a Lime Green cart riding around lately, it looks like a giant lime!

I mean LIME GREEN!  Never saw a cart where every inch was Lime Green including roof, seats, dash everything.  Really Ugly.

Rick

Left Hand, 

4 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

WE don't have a golf cart dealer!  🥴

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

WE don't have a golf cart dealer!  🥴

Well there's an income opportunity for you! I can see the Billboard now: Kenny's Golf Carts! 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

6 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Well there's an income opportunity for you! I can see the Billboard now: Kenny's Golf Carts! 

Yeah right!  There are about a dozen personal carts at our club; all are trailered in each day as there is no storage onsite.  None of them are new-ish.    Some courses have a few cart sheds for personal use, but they are $50/month; maybe more now.  

We do have one cart repair shop that rents carts out to the local courses when they need extra carts for events, but I think they are all at least 10 years old and gas powered.  Most all the courses lease carts from manufacturers on a 3-year cycle... ours are older than that now because of covid and supply chain issues.

On 12/20/2022 at 5:51 PM, Rickp said:

I mean LIME GREEN!  Never saw a cart where every inch was Lime Green including roof, seats, dash everything.  Really Ugly.

Up north we have a local cart dealer that has a multitude of obnoxious cart colors, including bright yellow. Yup yellow on everything in the cart including seats. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

Up north we have a local cart dealer that has a multitude of obnoxious cart colors, including bright yellow. Yup yellow on everything in the cart including seats. 

That has to be……..different 😱

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

He could sell it in a heartbeat in Eugene Oregon!!  🤣

We have a guy here at my club that has a yellow/green cart... Packers fan!

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

He could sell it in a heartbeat in Eugene Oregon!!  🤣

We have a guy here at my club that has a yellow/green cart... Packers fan!

Or to my neighbor across the street.  His cart is Red/White (they are graduates U Wisconsin) of course Green Bay decals on the sides of cart.

Him & his wife wear only 2 color combinations depending on who’s playing, Gold/Green or Red/White.  Can’t forget the Wisconsin or GB flags on the house and cart.

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 5 months later...

Will be purchasing a gas powered, likely reconditioned, golf cart (likely 2) in the next several weeks.  What should I make sure to watch out for as well as what are the must have items (either now or in the near future).  These carts will be used on golf course as well as driving around Golf Course Community.

Also, in Southern Ohio / Northern Kentucky area (cart will be in Somerset Kentucky).  Any dealer or other sources of carts recommentations?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Evendale_Rob said:

Will be purchasing a gas powered, likely reconditioned, golf cart (likely 2) in the next several weeks.  What should I make sure to watch out for as well as what are the must have items (either now or in the near future).  These carts will be used on golf course as well as driving around Golf Course Community.

Also, in Southern Ohio / Northern Kentucky area (cart will be in Somerset Kentucky).  Any dealer or other sources of carts recommentations?

Thanks

I've got an electric one but I think @Rickp has a gas powered one. FYI we bought a 2017 EZGo reconditioned for 6K earlier this year. It has brand new 48v batteries and will go for at least 36 holes plus some (trip to the grocery store a couple of miles away). Our preference was electric only because the gas were louder. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

4 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I've got an electric one but I think @Rickp has a gas powered one. FYI we bought a 2017 EZGo reconditioned for 6K earlier this year. It has brand new 48v batteries and will go for at least 36 holes plus some (trip to the grocery store a couple of miles away). Our preference was electric only because the gas were louder. 

I have had 2 Yamaha gas carts in last 10 years, great carts.  I put 3,500+miles on per year so I keep them for 5 years then get a new one.  9 or so months ago we picked up a new Star Lithium cart.  Have almost 3,000 miles on it with no problems.  I do like the lithium for the quieter ride and not going back to gas.  
Either type is great and Yamaha makes a great gas cart.   
FYI, I put more miles on the cart than our car.  Our car is 3 years old and we have 7,000 miles on it!

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 10 months later...

Reviving an older thread as I just grabbed new batteries, a new charger, and some new wheels for my 1992 ego marathon. 

IMG_2648.jpeg

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Old school cart lookin good 👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

6 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Old school cart lookin good 👍

Thanks. Bought the cart for $250 7 years ago and this is the first year I’m really doing anything to it other than batteries when I got it.  Needs a motor upgrade as it has a torque motor and a controller/solenoid upgrade in it as its slow but otherwise it’s almost all new

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie