TESTERS WANTED! ×

Riding Golf Carts

fixyurdivot

11 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Our muni has 55 Yamaha electric carts and 10 Yamaha gas carts.  The electric carts on on a 3 year lease, so they've been replaced twice since we've been members; the last time was in 2018.  Good carts that get trashed by idiots.  However, the club also doesn't take care of the batteries.  We should have gotten new carts last year, but with the pandemic and supply chain issues... we didn't.  We had batteries fail miserably, and we couldn't get new batteries for a long time.  Now Yamaha won't take on a new lease since they can't guarantee that they can deliver them.  So... we live on with carts that have been repaired many times and the driver-side seats are ripped up.  Life at a muni.  🙄

Kinda like my club--- Now we run gas EZ-Go---- We are on a 3 year lease deal so to speak--- Gas carts are beneficial to us because we can house less and turn them more rounds. Good example in the tourist seasons our members and mens groups have all the morning tee times period up to 10:00. Then you have tee times. Those same carts are given a quick bath and turned right back out. Being at the beach we are not real hilly per say but spread out in a housing developement so basically it is a straight like 5 mile jaunt around.

Now last year we were on a recycle basis but due to the pandemic carts were in short supply. We did not get our new ones until April this year. In peak season we will lease 10 additional ones to accomodate. This year we were so busy we leased 13 and could have used more. The season was so big and even though a couple of courses closed used carts turned in on lease were hard to get. A guy I know who has worked for EZ-Go for years told me it was the craziest thing he had ever seen. He told me if they had the same situation years earlier that they would hve been begging people to take the old carts cheap. Even used carts are hard to get now because you have so many people here rebuilding them and selling them. My neighbor just bought a rebuilt 2019 model and they did a good job on it looks new. In fact when I get ready to get another one I have a friend in Charlotte that is in the Cart business. He sells a lot of his used stuff stock down here. He told me when I was ready he would put one on the truck for me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 4:51 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Thanks @Beakbryce!  That's a great looking cart! We are now officially residents even though we aren't there... yet.  I have checked out their classifieds and, yes, between SCG, SCW, SC an Craigslist, the area is awash in used carts. I don't think I'll have a problem finding one but just wanted to get some intel from those on the forum about what to look for and how they like the ones they own.

We looked at Pebble Creek at the start of our AZ home search and liked aspects of it but ultimately SCG just seemed to feel right.  We considered SCF but with the start of the Douglas Ranch mega-build project just to the west, decided we didn't want to be surrounded by major development for the next XX years.

Thanks for the tip on Luke AFB GC.  Maybe we can meet-up for a round once we get down there 👍.

There are a lot more choices for golf play at Sun City, so always a good choice. We just happened to live across the street from PC with friends and relatives there and they finally built a model we liked. Our three courses are pretty expensive in the winter. We play Luke exclusively in the winter and walk. If you play Luke and like it, couple of things to think about. If you are going to play often they have a 25 round and 50 round coupon buy, electronically stored on their system, that makes it cheaper. The coupon plays are for family so if your significant other plays you can share it. Golf rates are based on rank. They also have a summer pass that can make golf cheap in the summer. They will charge for a cart, but at this point, my total payment per round will be around $19 for this summer. Carts do have a really good GPS system, which is nice. First couple of times you go they will want to see an ID card or DD214 till they get to know you. Probably should call and make sure that is enough. Also, they have a reservation system on line. If you want to use it ask for the sign up info at the desk.

Let me know when you get down here. I have a regular Sun, Tue, Thur group but we can probably work something out.

As for carts, I like the ezgo my cart is based on. My cart is speed limited to 22 mph, although it can be set higher, you might also inquire at the speed of the carts you are looking at because the courses may be farther away for you. Looking at cart models when they demo here at PC, I also like the Yamaha. If I bought the Yamaha I would look at an AC conversion motor as they come with a DC motor. There are a couple of dealers up in your area that you can demo drive carts. My perception of club cars is clouded because I see problems with the leased club cars at Luke. Mainly the parking brake and acceleration. Important to me are the lithium battery for weight savings and life (I hope) and an AC motor. If you are thinking a gas cart, Yamaha has a pretty good and quiet gas engine cart. 

Any other questions, please let me know.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 11:03 AM, Rickp said:

My new cart.

9248F79C-8B99-48D7-B3B0-892157962DC7.jpeg

How are you enjoying your star? I JUST put a deposit on one. Here it is:
https://inventory.elitecustomgolfcarts.com/listing/new-2023-electric-star-ev-sirius-12145/

They are flipping the seats to the premium similar to what you have and I had the conversion to Lithium batteries. Should be getting it end of the week. 

Not a whole lot on these around the web... Would love to hear how you feel about yours thusfar. 

:ping-small: G430 LST - Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 XS

:callaway-small: AI Smoke Hybrid 3 & 5 - LA Golf A Series 105 XS

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKII 5i-AW - :Nippon: 1150 GH XS

:ping-small: - ChipR

:cobra-small: - Black SnakeBite 53 & 57

:scotty-small: - Super Select Golo 6.5

:taylormade-small: TP5x Yellow / :titleist-small: Left Dash / :bridgestone-small:B X / :srixon-small: ZStar 🔹

:Ogio:  

:Arccos:

41 minutes ago, anotherburntsteak said:

How are you enjoying your star? I JUST put a deposit on one. Here it is:
https://inventory.elitecustomgolfcarts.com/listing/new-2023-electric-star-ev-sirius-12145/

They are flipping the seats to the premium similar to what you have and I had the conversion to Lithium batteries. Should be getting it end of the week. 

Not a whole lot on these around the web... Would love to hear how you feel about yours thusfar. 

So far not bad.  Love the Lithium, real easy to charge and lasts 80 hours.  Yes, you have to have the upgraded seating, standard seats are “harsh”.  Our seating is made here in FL and fitted to the cart.
A couple negatives but nothing can’t get over.  Golf bag well is narrower than Yamaha, dashboard storage is very small, steering wheel a bit small.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

11 minutes ago, Rickp said:

So far not bad.  Love the Lithium, real easy to charge and lasts 80 hours.  Yes, you have to have the upgraded seating, standard seats are “harsh”.  Our seating is made here in FL and fitted to the cart.
A couple negatives but nothing can’t get over.  Golf bag well is narrower than Yamaha, dashboard storage is very small, steering wheel a bit small.  

Yours looks like it might be the 2 in 1 where the back seats flip up? Hard to tell. 

Currently I am working with the place on the golf bag attachment right now. I might be upgrading the steering wheel, I did notice how small it was when I test drove it. I’m getting the score holder attachment so we will see how we like it. 

:taylormade-small: TP5x Yellow / :titleist-small: Left Dash / :bridgestone-small:B X / :srixon-small: ZStar 🔹

1 hour ago, anotherburntsteak said:

Yours looks like it might be the 2 in 1 where the back seats flip up? Hard to tell. 

Currently I am working with the place on the golf bag attachment right now. I might be upgrading the steering wheel, I did notice how small it was when I test drove it. I’m getting the score holder attachment so we will see how we like it. 

Nope, we have standard 2 seater.  Score Holder Attachment is a N/C part.

Rick

Left Hand, 

17 hours ago, Rickp said:

Nope, we have standard 2 seater.  Score Holder Attachment is a N/C part.

Have you been using the front cooler a lot? I have been thinking about ways to reinforce what appears to be styrofoam so when I put a ton of beer in there it doesn't get banged or beat up...what has your experience been with that part of the cart? 

4 hours ago, anotherburntsteak said:

Have you been using the front cooler a lot? I have been thinking about ways to reinforce what appears to be styrofoam so when I put a ton of beer in there it doesn't get banged or beat up...what has your experience been with that part of the cart? 

Have no intention of using the cooler as a cooler.  Probably extra towels, balls & sunglasses.

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 5:19 PM, CarlH said:

If we're showing off carts....here's mine....I was there at the right time....this is a used 2022 cart that was bought in March and used only a few times.  The original owner was transferring out of the area and couldn't keep the cart.  I got it at a significantly reduced price over new and it was exempt from state sales tax because it was used!

image.jpeg.d5ae7288c7f3a9325fa9ea355d31e65a.jpeg

IMG_3728.jpeg

IMG_3729.jpeg

Nice grab Carl!  Yes, buying a near new used one from a non-dealer/business, and avoiding the sales tax, is bueno.  I'm constantly checking the various ad sources and trying to be patient 😆. There is a business nearby that buys 1-3 year old leased EZGO's and completely rebuilds them, frame up, to street legal. They also offer a "high speed" conversion that can reach nearly 35 mph. They start at $11000 w/o lithium.  My wife says go for it, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much on a cart.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 8/23/2022 at 5:01 PM, Middler said:

Knobby tires were for the neighborhood "golf" carts, not golf...

They are also very loud - you can hear one coming a half mile away. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Nice grab Carl!  Yes, buying a near new used one from a non-dealer/business, and avoiding the sales tax, is bueno.  I'm constantly checking the various ad sources and trying to be patient 😆. There is a business nearby that buys 1-3 year old leased EZGO's and completely rebuilds them, frame up, to street legal. They also offer a "high speed" conversion that can reach nearly 35 mph. They start at $11000 w/o lithium.  My wife says go for it, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much on a cart.

Street Legal carts are losing their appeal in this part of FL due to insurance costs. 

Rick

Left Hand, 

😱

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

6 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Street Legal carts are losing their appeal in this part of FL due to insurance costs. 

Too many old people...

"Swanson, I want to go over there; I want to go over there!  Move over, Swanson.  I'm driving."  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

True story.  Around 11:00am this morning I had to swing by one of the Rec Centers to renew Volunteer Permits. As I turned into Rec Center a cart driven by a woman driving a cart, on the iPhone ran a Stop Sign and nearly hit me head on!!!  What’s worse they was a 2nd cart that also ran the Stop Sign and clipped the back of her cart.  SWMBO was petrified and I figured if we crashed my car would win😱

Rick

Left Hand, 

6 hours ago, Rickp said:

Interesting point.  But, to get to/from the house to the courses, rec centers, etc., we drive on the same streets as vehicles.  I need to inquire about this little wrinkle.

15 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Interesting point.  But, to get to/from the house to the courses, rec centers, etc., we drive on the same streets as vehicles.  I need to inquire about this little wrinkle.

We have “multi modal trails” that link neighborhoods, roads, Rec Centers, Restaurants, shopping, Doc Office, Hospitals, Golf Courses together.  Carts are allowed on the regular roads inside the villages, major roads no.

We put more miles on the cart than I do our car.

Rick

Left Hand, 

51 minutes ago, Rickp said:

We have “multi modal trails” that link neighborhoods, roads, Rec Centers, Restaurants, shopping, Doc Office, Hospitals, Golf Courses together.  Carts are allowed on the regular roads inside the villages, major roads no.

We put more miles on the cart than I do our car.

Not here.  SCG was originally gated and streets owned by the development.  But at some point they decided to make them county owned streets (cost of maintenance no doubt). So, the vast majority of privately carts here all "street legal" and can be driven on public roads with speed limits 35mph or less.

For those of you who have (or had) an EZGO with the auto brake system, have you experienced any issues with it and do you like it vs. the more traditional brake w/lock latch? 

This guy didn't have much of an opinion on the system 😆

I would go the EZ-GO electric route myself.  We are looking to move to a golf course community as well and would definitely look at EZ-GO electric first. I will walk mostly but will still get a cart for those hotter days that make walking rough. 

Golfnut

6 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

For those of you who have (or had) an EZGO with the auto brake system, have you experienced any issues with it and do you like it vs. the more traditional brake w/lock latch? 

I've got a 2009 EZGO RXV which has the electric brake. I've not had problems since we purchased it (new). It's pretty obvious this guy's got a bug up his butt about electric brakes. 

p.s. hope I don't jinx my golf cart because of this. 😁

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 11/4/2022 at 9:07 AM, fixyurdivot said:

I have not had issues with mine (2012).  I do remember hearing there were issues with the '08 models when it first came out though.

Only problem a couple other guys in the neighborhood have had is since switching to lithium batteries.  If you run them dry the cart is absolutely dead.  It's just full speed to nothing.  No slow down period like with lead acid batteries.  

The problem is with the electric brake if you want to unlock the brake to tow it there are two jumpers you have to switch under the seat to manually unlock the brake.  If there is no juice in the batteries it won't trigger the unlock.  So we've had to throw a generator on a trailer and haul it out to the course to charge up the cart just enough to get home.  We let it charge for 2 beers and that was enough.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• 2 weeks later...

Today my wife and I finally had time to check out some of the local golf cart suppliers.  We first looked at ICON and specifically the i20.  We then looked at a place that buys leased EZGO RVX units and basically rebuilds them like new and with street legal accessories.  We finished up at Club Car where the offer both new and rebuilt.

Our takeaway is that ICON seemed to offer more driving creature comforts in their base configuration than either of the other two. They come standard with AGM 48V (no maintenance required) batteries and their motor and motor controller are made by Toyota.  As delivered they have a max speed of 25 mph but they can at no charge "tune them" to achieve 27+.  They come with a digital console that provides speed, battery charge, headlight and turn signal indicators.  They also come with an igloo cooler, ball washer, and two seed/sand bottles.  Their tops are painted to match the body and they have 12 stock colors. The warranty covers only the motor and controller for 2 years. With a few added accessories we like, a brand new 2022 i20 was $11,100 out the door including tax, license and registration.

The EZGO rebuild outfit was $11495 for a 2018 with new Trojan batteries, 12" wheel and several fancy rims of ones choosing, and numerous options on seat colors and materials.  They come with a 2 year warranty on the motor and controller. Add on some accessories, tax, title, and registration, and we're just shy of $13,000.  The one key feature they offer is that their carts can go 33-35 mph.  Clearly they are catering to testosterone... or, considering the demographics around here, the want for a suitable replacement 😆.

Club Car was last.  Their brand new 2022, 2 seater, with Trojan batteries with a few accessories, and a high speed option (25 mph) was $14100 OTD.  They have a 3 year warranty on motor, controller, and batteries on the new carts. They had a couple of 2018 and 2019 rebuilds that were about $12000 OTD.

We drove all 3 around the streets and didn't notice a significant difference in overall ride but felt the Club Car had the softest ride. Perhaps the EZGO didn't have a full charge, but both the ICON and Club Car seemed to have better acceleration to top speed and 25 mph felt pretty fast.

I've been looking for used options but my wife thinks we should splurge and but new.  I told her I'd discuss it with the forum and let her know what we decide 🤣.  

Today my wife and I finally had time to check out some of the local golf cart suppliers.  We first looked at ICON and specifically the i20.  We then looked at a place that buys leased EZGO RVX units and basically rebuilds them like new and with street legal accessories.  We finished up at Club Car where the offer both new and rebuilt.

Our takeaway is that ICON seemed to offer more driving creature comforts in their base configuration than either of the other two. They come standard with AGM 48V (no maintenance required) batteries and their motor and motor controller are made by Toyota.  As delivered they have a max speed of 25 mph but they can at no charge "tune them" to achieve 27+.  They come with a digital console that provides speed, battery charge, headlight and turn signal indicators.  They also come with an igloo cooler, ball washer, and two seed/sand bottles.  Their tops are painted to match the body and they have 12 stock colors. The warranty covers only the motor and controller for 2 years. With a few added accessories we like, a brand new 2022 i20 was $11,100 out the door including tax, license and registration.

The EZGO rebuild outfit was $11495 for a 2018 with new Trojan batteries, 12" wheel and several fancy rims of ones choosing, and numerous options on seat colors and materials.  They come with a 2 year warranty on the motor and controller. Add on some accessories, tax, title, and registration, and we're just shy of $13,000.  The one key feature they offer is that their carts can go 33-35 mph.  Clearly they are catering to testosterone... or, considering the demographics around here, the want for a suitable replacement 😆.

Club Car was last.  Their brand new 2022, 2 seater, with Trojan batteries with a few accessories, and a high speed option (25 mph) was $14100 OTD.  They have a 3 year warranty on motor, controller, and batteries on the new carts. They had a couple of 2018 and 2019 rebuilds that were about $12000 OTD.

We drove all 3 around the streets and didn't notice a significant difference in overall ride but felt the Club Car had the softest ride. Perhaps the EZGO didn't have a full charge, but both the ICON and Club Car seemed to have better acceleration to top speed and 25 mph felt pretty fast.

I've been looking for used options but my wife thinks we should splurge and but new.  I told her I'd discuss it with the forum and let her know what we decide 🤣.  

I haven't seen any of the Icon's around up here yet so can't really comment on those.  I personally have EZGO carts but each time I bought one that came off a lease and then did the upgrades myself for the most part.  Saved quite a bit of money that way and I like doing that sort of stuff.  

The only 2 things I could offer you for advice is to check what aftermarket accessories are available for Icon carts.  One of the reasons I picked EZGO was the huge number of accessories and parts that are easily available all over the place.  Club Car and Yahama I think would be very similar too.  Not sure what's out there for Icon. 

The other advice I would offer is to seriously consider lithium batteries no matter which cart you go with.  Ask the dealers if they offer them and what the cost is.  Mostly likely it's a significant upcharge, but having just make the switch I believe it is well worth it.  

Best of luck with your cart search and let us know what you decide (with pictures of course!)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

We’ve owned 3 carts in last 11 years, 2 Yamaha gas & recent purchase 2022 Star Lithium.  Love the Star!  Getting used to a different style cart was a bit strange but we’re OK now.  
I’ve never seen or heard of Icon B4, Google them and looks sounds good.

The only advice I could offer is get the Lithium, it’s plug & play!  I played Monday & Tuesday on a charge & still had 1/2 in the tank but still topped it off for this morning 9 hole play.

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

We’ve owned 3 carts in last 11 years, 2 Yamaha gas & recent purchase 2022 Star Lithium.  Love the Star!  Getting used to a different style cart was a bit strange but we’re OK now.  
I’ve never seen or heard of Icon B4, Google them and looks sounds good.

The only advice I could offer is get the Lithium, it’s plug & play!  I played Monday & Tuesday on a charge & still had 1/2 in the tank but still topped it off for this morning 9 hole play.

The ICON salesman was very upfront and honest about the $2600 upcharge for the lithium option.  He advised to start with the AGM's for two reasons; first that you basically paid for the AGM's in the base price and only get about $300 credit swapping out as a new purchase, secondly, because the lithium battery technology for golf carts is evolving pretty quick, and both better tech at a lower price is the likely future, might as well get 3-4 years use on the wet cells and get whatever advances and lower pricing comes along.

I will say that both the EZGO rebuilder place and Club Car said they have gone through some learning curves on lithium battery and controller configurations on rebuilds. The EZGO outfit recalling about 20+ carts a few years ago due to issues and concerns about fire risk.  They have settled on a new configuration that seems to be performing well.  My takeaway from these discussions is that one needs to wade into the lithium upgrade with some good research.

We're going to check out the Yamaha dealer next.  I saw a few 2018's with their newer AC drive motors (25 mph) that looked pretty nice and priced competitively.  

Kind of leaning towards ICON but there really isn't much in the way of consumer reviews that I can find. If anyone has one or knows friends that do, please share.

Adding a couple of  article on the ICON's for others who might be interested.

On 11/3/2022 at 2:21 PM, Rickp said:

True story.  Around 11:00am this morning I had to swing by one of the Rec Centers to renew Volunteer Permits. As I turned into Rec Center a cart driven by a woman driving a cart, on the iPhone ran a Stop Sign and nearly hit me head on!!!  What’s worse they was a 2nd cart that also ran the Stop Sign and clipped the back of her cart.  SWMBO was petrified and I figured if we crashed my car would win😱

We bought a place in central east coast FL where the kids over 14 can drive carts and drive them to school.  The high school is loaded with them during the school day when school is in session, it is kind of ridiculous.  One of the local shops told us they have parents coming in and dropping $16-20K on carts for their kids to commute to school (instead of buying cars, so I guess that kind of makes some sense, maybe). Anyway, the kids are often NOT following the "rules" that have been codified in local statutes. We were heading out of the neighborhood one afternoon and two young girls came flying across the entrance/exit road without stopping or looking; if my wife hadn't been paying attention and decided to slow down "in case" she didn't stop they would no doubt be D-E-A-D dead from t-boning us.  I am still up in the air about getting one, but I do think that there should be some way of identifying whoever is driving these so, especially when it is kids, that anyone who experiences an issue like this can call the parents or the police and have it all addressed, before some kid gets dead from being a kid. Anyway, eyes open and twice as aware in these places. People are stupid.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

On 11/3/2022 at 3:03 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Where we are at it is all codified in local statutes.  Those laws dictate street vs. widened sidewalks, pedestrian ROW (right of way), intersection rules, age restrictions (including seatbelts, and hanging out of the carts vs. being seated) etc.  Great to know the rules in order to be able to follow them; of course it helps when others follow those rules too.  Good luck.

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

The ICON salesman was very upfront and honest about the $2600 upcharge for the lithium option.  He advised to start with the AGM's for two reasons; first that you basically paid for the AGM's in the base price and only get about $300 credit swapping out as a new purchase, secondly, because the lithium battery technology for golf carts is evolving pretty quick, and both better tech at a lower price is the likely future, might as well get 3-4 years use on the wet cells and get whatever advances and lower pricing comes along.

I will say that both the EZGO rebuilder place and Club Car said they have gone through some learning curves on lithium battery and controller configurations on rebuilds. The EZGO outfit recalling about 20+ carts a few years ago due to issues and concerns about fire risk.  They have settled on a new configuration that seems to be performing well.  My takeaway from these discussions is that one needs to wade into the lithium upgrade with some good research.

We're going to check out the Yamaha dealer next.  I saw a few 2018's with their newer AC drive motors (25 mph) that looked pretty nice and priced competitively.  

Kind of leaning towards ICON but there really isn't much in the way of consumer reviews that I can find. If anyone has one or knows friends that do, please share.

Adding a couple of  article on the ICON's for others who might be interested.

This is a very interesting thread for me/us since we have been debating on whether to buy or not to buy for the FL house.  Right up front, I prefer to walk when I play, but we have the same "issue" some others have noted about course layout and policies toward walkers.  Also, I can only drive to one of the 3 courses in our immediate area and there is no point in really trailering a personal cart 5-10 miles to the other courses.  The annual membership is about $450/year less with your own cart vs. including a club supplied cart.  Is it really worth the $450/year to have to keep/maintain my own cart? That asked, is it really all that much better to take the cart vs. the car tot eh store, range, putting green, restaurants etc.? If so, that would be an offset to car maintenance and wear/tear.

The couple of places we talked to seem to be really fixated on Yamaha and Club Car with EZGO a no so distant 3rd place and they only have a couple here and there.  Being coastal FL one of the salesman discussed the aluminum vs. steel frame issues that has already been mentioned.  He recommended Club Cr for electric and Yamaha for gas since the Yamaha motor is significantly quieter than the Club Car or EZGO (as an aside, he was the second guy we talked tom on a separate day and was the company owner's son, who was working in a satellite shop during the holiday weekend to supplement regular staff getting the holiday off; how is that for ownership).  Anyway, my thoughts on gas vs. electric are as follows:

Gas

+ If it runs out of juice I can always grab a can somewhere, or have somebody grab one, to add a gallon in to get it home vs. having to get it towed or trailered (from either the local shopping center or the course)

+ No chance of an Li-Ion explosion taking half the neighborhood out

- Maintenance. If the gas motor fails, rebuild it cheap, but you have to maintain the motor to keep it going.

+ Longevity? How many years/miles can you get out of a gas cart vs. having to change batteries every 3-5 years.

+ Initial Cost/Investment - Li-Ion is a pretty significant uncharge

Electric

+ Quiet 

+ Don't have to worry about running to the gas station or keeping a jug filled in the garage

-/+ Maintenance, if the batteries fail replacement cost is 😵, but don't have to worry ab out the gas motor maintenance issues.

- initial Cost/Investment, see above

All that said, I also look forward to reading more peoples thoughts on the topic.  And if we buy, I'll add it here.

Thanks MGS community.

On 11/4/2022 at 9:07 AM, fixyurdivot said:

The electric brake system on the E-Z-GO RXV's is both good and bad. I have a refurbished 2010 RZV and I like the fact that whenever you stop the cart, the brake automatically sets so your cart doesn't roll away if you are on a hill. I do have to agree with the guy in the video though about not being able to move the cart if the batteries die. My cart sat in my garage over the winter and the batteries died (they were about eight years old). I needed to get the cart to my dealer who was about 200 miles from me. Just to get my cart out of the back end of the garage I bought 4 car dollies, jacked the cart up, slid the dollies under the tires and pushed the cart out of the garage. The big problem then was to get the cart onto my trailer. All I had was a small come-a-long that I hooked to my trailer hitch on my SUV and winched the cart onto the trailer. This was no picnic because the dolly wheels wouldn't roll up the trailer ramp because there were spaces larger than the wheels that the wheels could fall through. I ended up winching the cart up the ramp onto the trailer by shear armstrong power with the cart tires dragging up the ramp. It was a big pain to do. When I got to the dealer, he had a power unit of two batteries and hooked them up much like the guy in the video did, which made taking it off the trailer and into the dealership for new batteries much easier. In addition, I did have the original electric brake go bad. It was getting to where it didn't like to release until you tried it 3-4 times so I called the dealer and asked about it. He advised me to bring the cart in and the brake needed to be replaced. I don't remember how much that cost me but it wasn't inexpensive. I suppose if I hadn't taken it into the dealership at that time it would have eventually died and I would have had to do the whole cart on dollies thing earlier than I did.

Edited by golfmule