puttingpirate

Why iron shafts are not getting as much love as driver ones?

So as the title says....

I really don't get why iron shafts are getting so little love comparing to driver shafts. I take my driver out 5/6 times in a round maximum vs AT LEAST 30 iron shots.

Is it cause they're not as sexy as the big stick? Or people just don't care?

• Like 1

I think it’s because it’s easier to move an iron shaft from one set to another than it is for the woods/hybrids

• Like 2
  • Off Topic 1

1 hour ago, Mr_Theoo said:

I think it’s because it’s easier to move an iron shaft from one set to another than it is for the woods/hybrids

You mean the other way around?

2 hours ago, Mr_Theoo said:

Speaking from personal experience only, I can play well with most wood shafts, just because the launch characteristics stay fairly similar throughout a lot of shafts. And, woods are more distance clubs that require less precision. Usually, I'm not trying to hit a wood a specific distance.

With irons I feel very strongly about what shafts I use. I need to know that I'm going to get the launch/spin I need to hold greens, and get my carry number right. Irons are precision clubs, I need to be able to rely on my equipment to do what I want it to, as long as I put a good swing on it. 

Just my $0.02. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, puttingpirate said:

You mean the other way around?

No, I meant it as you could put the same iron shafts in a new set of irons and get similar performance but if you try the same for woods it rarely seems to work as well

• Like 1

I think that once many people find an iron shaft that works well, they stick with it. But if I’m a low launch/low spin shaft guy, I’ve got so many companies and options that if I don’t like the feel or look of something, I can try something new.
With that being said, if money is no object, try out the Oban steel shafts. It’s been the most consistent iron shaft I’ve ever tried, but even with a PUD discount, I couldn’t justify the cost of doing a whole set.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Speaking from personal experience only, I can play well with most wood shafts, just because the launch characteristics stay fairly similar throughout a lot of shafts. And, woods are more distance clubs that require less precision. Usually, I'm not trying to hit a wood a specific distance.

With irons I feel very strongly about what shafts I use. I need to know that I'm going to get the launch/spin I need to hold greens, and get my carry number right. Irons are precision clubs, I need to be able to rely on my equipment to do what I want it to, as long as I put a good swing on it. 

Just my $0.02. 

To each their own for sure. I can pretty much hit my ideal numbers with the same shaft regardless of iron model but woods it seems I need a more precise fit and different shafts that match the head

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Just my $0.02. 

That's fair enough. I'm a tinkerer and there isn't much more I can tinker with when it comes to putters, hybrids or woods so it's time for irons. I've spent a hell of a long time researching iron shafts, and well... doesn't seem to me people get excited about it as much as wood/driver shafts 🙂

5 minutes ago, Rtracymog said:

I think that once many people find an iron shaft that works well, they stick with it. But if I’m a low launch/low spin shaft guy, I’ve got so many companies and options that if I don’t like the feel or look of something, I can try something new.
With that being said, if money is no object, try out the Oban steel shafts. It’s been the most consistent iron shaft I’ve ever tried, but even with a PUD discount, I couldn’t justify the cost of doing a whole set.

I'm leaving the steel world for a bit. After a few glasses of whiskey I have now the Mitsubishi OT 100, Diamana Thump 95 and Accra ICWT 95 coming this week. And a new set of heads not to screw with my gamers ;-D Planning on playing ~30 rounds with each and a few trackman sessions to see if I can see changes that would justify the move in a 'normal persons' head.

8 minutes ago, Mr_Theoo said:

No, I meant it as you could put the same iron shafts in a new set of irons and get similar performance but if you try the same for woods it rarely seems to work as well

Hmmmm, I disagree here. I think swing develops quite a bit over time, plus the technology advances at an astonishing speed. I think that everyone could see a benefit from a new fitting every 2/3 years. I'm on my 4th set of shafts in just over 3 years and every time I change, my game improves enough that I can notice it.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, puttingpirate said:

Hmmmm, I disagree here. I think swing develops quite a bit over time, plus the technology advances at an astonishing speed. I think that everyone could see a benefit from a new fitting every 2/3 years. I'm on my 4th set of shafts in just over 3 years and every time I change, my game improves enough that I can notice it.

I definitely agree with the fitting because you do always want to have the best fit possible but I do think most people just seem to end up or go with what has always worked. Whether that’s out of habit or fear of change. 

46 minutes ago, Mr_Theoo said:

I definitely agree with the fitting because you do always want to have the best fit possible but I do think most people just seem to end up or go with what has always worked. Whether that’s out of habit or fear of change. 

Time to change that don't you think?! 🙂

1 minute ago, puttingpirate said:

Time to change that don't you think?! 🙂

I have changed. They don’t make the project X flighted shafts anymore. The past 3 sets of irons I’ve had have all been different shafts

46 minutes ago, Mr_Theoo said:

I have changed. They don’t make the project X flighted shafts anymore. The past 3 sets of irons I’ve had have all been different shafts

Out of curiosity - tried composite yet? I guess you did, so what didn’t work?

I think it's just far easier to swap driver shafts in and out with the sleeves currently available, so they tend to get more attention when it comes to trying something new. Also, the driver to many is THE distance club, while irons are more for consistency, so getting more yardage with a quick driver shaft swap is far more attractive an option. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, puttingpirate said:

Out of curiosity - tried composite yet? I guess you did, so what didn’t work?

Haven’t tried graphite iron shafts because no store near me has any to demo and I tend to like my shafts on the heavier side so those are even harder to find in graphite 

18 hours ago, Mr_Theoo said:

To an extent yes but I’ve have success with one iron shaft in several heads and it gave me not so optimal results in two other heads.

ive used the multiple driver shafts in several heads and kept optimal results.  Like anything in golf a lot of it is player specific.

I'll just throw this out as a possible answer to the question, not as a absolute answer but as a theory to be debated: there are clear and obvious differences among iron heads. At the extremes, a set of Titleist MB and a set of Cleveland Launcher HB irons have enormously different playing characteristics and flight (launch, spin) properties.

At the top of the market, by contrast, the differences among driver heads have diminished. Take last year's Most Wanted drivers, for instance. The difference in ball speed between number 1 (the Cobra F8) and number 10 (PING G400 SFT) is less than a mile per hour. The lowest spinning driver (the Wilson D300) is less than 300rpm different than number 10 (Titleist D2). Less than 3 yards(!) separates number 1 from number 10 in total distance.

I'm not at all saying that driver heads don't matter, and I tend to be on the non-shaftoid side of the argument. But I propose the the reason that people are more interested in driver shafts than iron shafts is related to this idea: that iron heads produce pretty radically different numbers, and so most of the difference between irons can be attributed to the head, whereas driver heads produce very similar numbers, and a way to squeeze out a difference is by using a different shaft.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

If any of you guys follow Golfholics on YouTube, you'll know that Mike recently went to Fujikura for an iron shaft fitting. In that video they talk about some of the stigma and misinformation that surrounds graphite iron shafts and I'd have to say that stigma and misinformation pretty much sums up the discrepancies between all iron shafts and driver shaft fittings. Look at Tiger as an example. How long has he played X100's? There's so much more out there to try and he's only just even adapted to adjustable drivers since switching to Taylormade.

• Like 1

I recently went to club champion and got the full bag fitting. In regards to iron shafts the differences I felt were not nearly as apparent than those felt with driver. Certainly there were some differences in launch, spin, and dispersion so I definitely believe it’s just as important to get the right iron shafts. But for me the feel was so much different among the driver shafts I tried and relatively similar with the iron shafts.

• Like 2

Wait a minute - before I offer my response I need to ask PuttingPirate if that ratio of 5/6 drivers to 30 irons is true?  Clearly if that's the case he's the anomaly or else perhaps he's counting wedges as irons?  If I rate the clubs by category as follows driver, fairways/hybrids, irons, wedges, putter their importance to my score (and I would argue the score of many people) based on relevant usage plus potential strokes gained would be

Driver, putter, wedges, irons, fairway/hybrids

(I could see wedges and irons flip flopping based upon the course and set of tees that I'm playing - I suppose if I played a set of tees that was too short for me Driver might drop below putter but then fairway/hybrids would move above irons and wedges also)

At any rate I read a lot about iron shafts on MGS at least.  I know that the shaft/head combo of irons is hugely important for me - more important than my driver even though my driver is more important to my overall score - I got fit last spring, changed the head (to a wider platform) and shaft (to a lighter graphite) and improved significantly in all areas of my irons - dispersion, distance, consistency.  I'm guessing that if it was this important for me it would be for most others also. 

Perhaps the OP has been checking in at times when we haven't been making a big deal out of iron shafts.  I do agree that there is more interest about driver shafts in general but I don't think that's necessarily true here -

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:12 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'll just throw this out as a possible answer to the question, not as a absolute answer but as a theory to be debated: there are clear and obvious differences among iron heads. At the extremes, a set of Titleist MB and a set of Cleveland Launcher HB irons have enormously different playing characteristics and flight (launch, spin) properties.

At the top of the market, by contrast, the differences among driver heads have diminished. Take last year's Most Wanted drivers, for instance. The difference in ball speed between number 1 (the Cobra F8) and number 10 (PING G400 SFT) is less than a mile per hour. The lowest spinning driver (the Wilson D300) is less than 300rpm different than number 10 (Titleist D2). Less than 3 yards(!) separates number 1 from number 10 in total distance.

I'm not at all saying that driver heads don't matter, and I tend to be on the non-shaftoid side of the argument. But I propose the the reason that people are more interested in driver shafts than iron shafts is related to this idea: that iron heads produce pretty radically different numbers, and so most of the difference between irons can be attributed to the head, whereas driver heads produce very similar numbers, and a way to squeeze out a difference is by using a different shaft.

I found this post extremely insightful!  Great points!

• Like 1