TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why iron shafts are not getting as much love as driver ones?

puttingpirate

I think it’s because it’s easier to move an iron shaft from one set to another than it is for the woods/hybrids

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

2 hours ago, Mr_Theoo said:

I think it’s because it’s easier to move an iron shaft from one set to another than it is for the woods/hybrids

Speaking from personal experience only, I can play well with most wood shafts, just because the launch characteristics stay fairly similar throughout a lot of shafts. And, woods are more distance clubs that require less precision. Usually, I'm not trying to hit a wood a specific distance.

With irons I feel very strongly about what shafts I use. I need to know that I'm going to get the launch/spin I need to hold greens, and get my carry number right. Irons are precision clubs, I need to be able to rely on my equipment to do what I want it to, as long as I put a good swing on it. 

Just my $0.02. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

59 minutes ago, puttingpirate said:

You mean the other way around?

No, I meant it as you could put the same iron shafts in a new set of irons and get similar performance but if you try the same for woods it rarely seems to work as well

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I think that once many people find an iron shaft that works well, they stick with it. But if I’m a low launch/low spin shaft guy, I’ve got so many companies and options that if I don’t like the feel or look of something, I can try something new.
With that being said, if money is no object, try out the Oban steel shafts. It’s been the most consistent iron shaft I’ve ever tried, but even with a PUD discount, I couldn’t justify the cost of doing a whole set.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

25 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Speaking from personal experience only, I can play well with most wood shafts, just because the launch characteristics stay fairly similar throughout a lot of shafts. And, woods are more distance clubs that require less precision. Usually, I'm not trying to hit a wood a specific distance.

With irons I feel very strongly about what shafts I use. I need to know that I'm going to get the launch/spin I need to hold greens, and get my carry number right. Irons are precision clubs, I need to be able to rely on my equipment to do what I want it to, as long as I put a good swing on it. 

Just my $0.02. 

To each their own for sure. I can pretty much hit my ideal numbers with the same shaft regardless of iron model but woods it seems I need a more precise fit and different shafts that match the head

28 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Just my $0.02. 

That's fair enough. I'm a tinkerer and there isn't much more I can tinker with when it comes to putters, hybrids or woods so it's time for irons. I've spent a hell of a long time researching iron shafts, and well... doesn't seem to me people get excited about it as much as wood/driver shafts 🙂

5 minutes ago, Rtracymog said:

I think that once many people find an iron shaft that works well, they stick with it. But if I’m a low launch/low spin shaft guy, I’ve got so many companies and options that if I don’t like the feel or look of something, I can try something new.
With that being said, if money is no object, try out the Oban steel shafts. It’s been the most consistent iron shaft I’ve ever tried, but even with a PUD discount, I couldn’t justify the cost of doing a whole set.

I'm leaving the steel world for a bit. After a few glasses of whiskey I have now the Mitsubishi OT 100, Diamana Thump 95 and Accra ICWT 95 coming this week. And a new set of heads not to screw with my gamers ;-D Planning on playing ~30 rounds with each and a few trackman sessions to see if I can see changes that would justify the move in a 'normal persons' head.

8 minutes ago, Mr_Theoo said:

No, I meant it as you could put the same iron shafts in a new set of irons and get similar performance but if you try the same for woods it rarely seems to work as well

Hmmmm, I disagree here. I think swing develops quite a bit over time, plus the technology advances at an astonishing speed. I think that everyone could see a benefit from a new fitting every 2/3 years. I'm on my 4th set of shafts in just over 3 years and every time I change, my game improves enough that I can notice it.

49 minutes ago, puttingpirate said:

Hmmmm, I disagree here. I think swing develops quite a bit over time, plus the technology advances at an astonishing speed. I think that everyone could see a benefit from a new fitting every 2/3 years. I'm on my 4th set of shafts in just over 3 years and every time I change, my game improves enough that I can notice it.

I definitely agree with the fitting because you do always want to have the best fit possible but I do think most people just seem to end up or go with what has always worked. Whether that’s out of habit or fear of change. 

46 minutes ago, Mr_Theoo said:

I definitely agree with the fitting because you do always want to have the best fit possible but I do think most people just seem to end up or go with what has always worked. Whether that’s out of habit or fear of change. 

Time to change that don't you think?! 🙂

1 minute ago, puttingpirate said:

Time to change that don't you think?! 🙂

I have changed. They don’t make the project X flighted shafts anymore. The past 3 sets of irons I’ve had have all been different shafts

I think it's just far easier to swap driver shafts in and out with the sleeves currently available, so they tend to get more attention when it comes to trying something new. Also, the driver to many is THE distance club, while irons are more for consistency, so getting more yardage with a quick driver shaft swap is far more attractive an option. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

12 hours ago, puttingpirate said:

Out of curiosity - tried composite yet? I guess you did, so what didn’t work?

Haven’t tried graphite iron shafts because no store near me has any to demo and I tend to like my shafts on the heavier side so those are even harder to find in graphite 

18 hours ago, Mr_Theoo said:

To an extent yes but I’ve have success with one iron shaft in several heads and it gave me not so optimal results in two other heads.

ive used the multiple driver shafts in several heads and kept optimal results.  Like anything in golf a lot of it is player specific.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'll just throw this out as a possible answer to the question, not as a absolute answer but as a theory to be debated: there are clear and obvious differences among iron heads. At the extremes, a set of Titleist MB and a set of Cleveland Launcher HB irons have enormously different playing characteristics and flight (launch, spin) properties.

At the top of the market, by contrast, the differences among driver heads have diminished. Take last year's Most Wanted drivers, for instance. The difference in ball speed between number 1 (the Cobra F8) and number 10 (PING G400 SFT) is less than a mile per hour. The lowest spinning driver (the Wilson D300) is less than 300rpm different than number 10 (Titleist D2). Less than 3 yards(!) separates number 1 from number 10 in total distance.

I'm not at all saying that driver heads don't matter, and I tend to be on the non-shaftoid side of the argument. But I propose the the reason that people are more interested in driver shafts than iron shafts is related to this idea: that iron heads produce pretty radically different numbers, and so most of the difference between irons can be attributed to the head, whereas driver heads produce very similar numbers, and a way to squeeze out a difference is by using a different shaft.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

If any of you guys follow Golfholics on YouTube, you'll know that Mike recently went to Fujikura for an iron shaft fitting. In that video they talk about some of the stigma and misinformation that surrounds graphite iron shafts and I'd have to say that stigma and misinformation pretty much sums up the discrepancies between all iron shafts and driver shaft fittings. Look at Tiger as an example. How long has he played X100's? There's so much more out there to try and he's only just even adapted to adjustable drivers since switching to Taylormade.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I recently went to club champion and got the full bag fitting. In regards to iron shafts the differences I felt were not nearly as apparent than those felt with driver. Certainly there were some differences in launch, spin, and dispersion so I definitely believe it’s just as important to get the right iron shafts. But for me the feel was so much different among the driver shafts I tried and relatively similar with the iron shafts.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Wait a minute - before I offer my response I need to ask PuttingPirate if that ratio of 5/6 drivers to 30 irons is true?  Clearly if that's the case he's the anomaly or else perhaps he's counting wedges as irons?  If I rate the clubs by category as follows driver, fairways/hybrids, irons, wedges, putter their importance to my score (and I would argue the score of many people) based on relevant usage plus potential strokes gained would be

Driver, putter, wedges, irons, fairway/hybrids

(I could see wedges and irons flip flopping based upon the course and set of tees that I'm playing - I suppose if I played a set of tees that was too short for me Driver might drop below putter but then fairway/hybrids would move above irons and wedges also)

At any rate I read a lot about iron shafts on MGS at least.  I know that the shaft/head combo of irons is hugely important for me - more important than my driver even though my driver is more important to my overall score - I got fit last spring, changed the head (to a wider platform) and shaft (to a lighter graphite) and improved significantly in all areas of my irons - dispersion, distance, consistency.  I'm guessing that if it was this important for me it would be for most others also. 

Perhaps the OP has been checking in at times when we haven't been making a big deal out of iron shafts.  I do agree that there is more interest about driver shafts in general but I don't think that's necessarily true here -

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:12 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'll just throw this out as a possible answer to the question, not as a absolute answer but as a theory to be debated: there are clear and obvious differences among iron heads. At the extremes, a set of Titleist MB and a set of Cleveland Launcher HB irons have enormously different playing characteristics and flight (launch, spin) properties.

At the top of the market, by contrast, the differences among driver heads have diminished. Take last year's Most Wanted drivers, for instance. The difference in ball speed between number 1 (the Cobra F8) and number 10 (PING G400 SFT) is less than a mile per hour. The lowest spinning driver (the Wilson D300) is less than 300rpm different than number 10 (Titleist D2). Less than 3 yards(!) separates number 1 from number 10 in total distance.

I'm not at all saying that driver heads don't matter, and I tend to be on the non-shaftoid side of the argument. But I propose the the reason that people are more interested in driver shafts than iron shafts is related to this idea: that iron heads produce pretty radically different numbers, and so most of the difference between irons can be attributed to the head, whereas driver heads produce very similar numbers, and a way to squeeze out a difference is by using a different shaft.

I found this post extremely insightful!  Great points!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

24 minutes ago, revkev said:

Wait a minute - before I offer my response I need to ask PuttingPirate if that ratio of 5/6 drivers to 30 irons is true?  Clearly if that's the case he's the anomaly or else perhaps he's counting wedges as irons?  If I rate the clubs by category as follows driver, fairways/hybrids, irons, wedges, putter their importance to my score (and I would argue the score of many people) based on relevant usage plus potential strokes gained would be

My last round was on a par 71 with 5 par 3's.  Here are my full swing counts.

Driver - 13

3 Wood - 2

Utility iron (2+4) - 1

Irons (5-PW) - 9

Wedges (50°, 54° 58°) - 4

I had 11 shots with wedges that were 70% or less and 34 putts. 

So for me, the most important clubs in the bag are...

1. Putter
  2. Driver
  3. Wedges
  4. Irons

YMMV

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I think iron shafts will become the next area of innovation that will evolve over the next few years. Realistically most people know flex and they are steel. I personally played X100s for as long as I can remember and at a fitting last year I was shocked at the number of shafts I had to choose from in terms of brands and weight. Surprisingly I went with XP 105s which would not even had been in my thought process without the fitting. For wedges we went with $Taper 120s which also were not on my radar. Imagine if Graphite iron shafts take off the amount of differentiation there will be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* SHAFT TBD...

:taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

:callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

:callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

2 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

I think iron shafts will become the next area of innovation that will evolve over the next few years. Realistically most people know flex and they are steel. I personally played X100s for as long as I can remember and at a fitting last year I was shocked at the number of shafts I had to choose from in terms of brands and weight. Surprisingly I went with XP 105s which would not even had been in my thought process without the fitting. For wedges we went with $Taper 120s which also were not on my radar. Imagine if Graphite iron shafts take off the amount of differentiation there will be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this. I think with the technology changes in materials and how they are used will change iron shafts completely. IMO in 10-20 years almost if not all shafts will be graphite or composite. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

38 minutes ago, revkev said:

If I rate the clubs by category as follows driver, fairways/hybrids, irons, wedges, putter their importance to my score (and I would argue the score of many people) based on relevant usage plus potential strokes gained would be

Not to argue that it isn't the case for you, but I'm currently reading Every Shot Counts and just covered this. While Mark Broadie admits that there are always exceptions,  the long game (driving and approaches >100 yards) makes up two-thirds of the average golfer's score. I wish I had the book with me so I could reference and make sure I'm getting this right, but I'm pretty sure iron shots >100 yards make up the bulk of the scores with driving/tee shots coming in behind that; next is wedges and then the putter.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

12 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I agree with this. I think with the technology changes in materials and how they are used will change iron shafts completely. IMO in 10-20 years almost if not all shafts will be graphite or composite. 

I agree too, although this is a little depressing having just done my first fitting a few months ago and then buying a new set of irons that I justified by telling myself I would keep them as-is for at least 5 years...🙄 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

5 hours ago, revkev said:

(I could see wedges and irons flip flopping based upon the course and set of tees that I'm playing - I suppose if I played a set of tees that was too short for me Driver might drop below putter but then fairway/hybrids would move above irons and wedges also)

At any rate I read a lot about iron shafts on MGS at least.  I know that the shaft/head combo of irons is hugely important for me - more important than my driver even though my driver is more important to my overall score - I got fit last spring, changed the head (to a wider platform) and shaft (to a lighter graphite) and improved significantly in all areas of my irons - dispersion, distance, consistency.  I'm guessing that if it was this important for me it would be for most others also. 

Perhaps the OP has been checking in at times when we haven't been making a big deal out of iron shafts.  I do agree that there is more interest about driver shafts in general but I don't think that's necessarily true here -

Kev, 

For when I’m trying to score, and not just screwing around with friends, I tee off with a 1iron or 4 iron (any par 4 under 450), driver mostly comes out when I can reach the green, would have to hit anything longer than a 5i into the green, or if reaching a par 5 in 2. On most courses that I play it’s 5/6 times a round. 

And irons for me are the clubs I take full shots with, so 1, 4i-50 degree. Even tho it’s 2 ‘wedges’ I do hit mostly full shots with them. 
But yeah, I may be checking in when iron shafts are not being talked about, but as I’m moving to graphite now I’ve done A LOT of research into it, and to be honest I can find VERY few reviews. And when I find some - they’re usually not as comprehensive as I’d want them to be OR massively over technical (maybe aimed at fitters?).

There’s far more money and technology that’s already invested into driver shafts. There’s also a far greater margin for profit.

Besides the profit margins, the market for golfers who would benefit from a specific type of iron shaft is much smaller than that buying a driver.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

7 hours ago, bens197 said:

There’s far more money and technology that’s already invested into driver shafts. There’s also a far greater margin for profit.

Besides the profit margins, the market for golfers who would benefit from a specific type of iron shaft is much smaller than that buying a driver.

That’s not true. The biggest cost is materials rnd, and most of them are cross use. Tooling and machinery is another one, but as there is a lot more seamless irons shafts than driver ones I think the former would be more expensive.
And with graphite iron shafts reaching the $200 mark, and you buying 10 of them at a time and not just one (not to mention seven dreamers at $1200/shaft for entry level) again I think from the manufacturers point of view its not an area they neglect.

1 hour ago, puttingpirate said:

That’s not true. The biggest cost is materials rnd, and most of them are cross use. Tooling and machinery is another one, but as there is a lot more seamless irons shafts than driver ones I think the former would be more expensive.
And with graphite iron shafts reaching the $200 mark, and you buying 10 of them at a time and not just one (not to mention seven dreamers at $1200/shaft for entry level) again I think from the manufacturers point of view its not an area they neglect.

Don't just look at the forest for the trees.  The shafts shelf-life / staying power is far greater than a cycle release from a major OEM.  Shafts like the Diamana White and Blueboard, Fuji Speeder series and GD Tour AD Series have proven their longevity.  

While more recently, these same companies are releasing additions to the series, you are well aware that the aforementioned blue chips shafts of these vendors have maintained their relevancy for years.  Once that R&D has developed a premium product, the leap to tweaking that and developing into a complementary product is far less because the initial research has already been done.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

11 hours ago, bens197 said:

I was just coming in here to comment on technology aspect as I didn’t see it touched onin other posts really.  

Driver/woods/hybrid shaft have moved to bring graphite and with this shift there are a lot more manipulations that can be made to the shaft make up to affect feel, stability, weight, etc where as with steel there’s only so much that can be done in comparison.

since the vast majority of iron shafts are steel they get overlooked because most of the time imo it comes down to feel for the golfer.  

Not to discredit the iron shafts because there’s a lot of great shafts out there from all the companies and it’s not just give me either r300,s300 or x100 from dynamic golf like it used to be. Nowadays the companies have found ways to make great steel iron shafts in all sorts of weights but the ability still lags behind what the companies can do with graphite.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Archived