TESTERS WANTED! ×

Handicap Shenanigans

fixyurdivot

Handicap  

21 members have voted

1. 1. To what extent are handicaps being manipulated?

• Considerably
    • Somewhat
    • Very Little

19 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

My club has begun posting all tournament scores by the pro shop.  If you have admin access, like the pro shop does, it really doesn't take long.  To be honest, if someone said he wasn't going to post, I'd be fairly vocal about it in the bar area, "That was a great round, I'll help you post it while we're sitting right here".  To a certain extent, a significant percentage of the sandbagging goes on because the majority of players don't want to take the steps required to stop it.

This is exactly it.  It's like any uncomfortable subject - politics, religion, race, sexual preference, etc.  People just don't talk about it because they'd rather go along to get along, rather than make waves.  And the way things are going in our country, the ones are are in the wrong will turn the situation around to make those who try to enforce the rules the bad guys.  Just ask any police officer about this.

I think it honestly goes back to grade school when the "tattletale" was the one who was punished, even though the one they were tattling on deserved the punishment.

So yeah, everyone sees sandbagging, but no one does a thing about it.  The couple of times I've witnessed sandbagging, and then you approach the club pro who was running the event, they have always punted on the issue, because they didn't want to piss off the member in question, or question their integrity.  And I've actually seen the pro turn around and chastise the person reporting the sandbagging, and made them out to feel like a horrible person for questioning another man's integrity.

I'm probably taking this way off topic with my next comments, but you can witness this sort of shaming behavior everywhere you go in life.  Public schools, government, politics, churches, court rooms.  An example from the schools.  Child acts like a spoiled brat and ignores the teacher's discipline or flat out just ignores anything the teacher tells them to do, so the teacher gives the student a failing grade.  The parents then show up at the school and rip into the principal because their precious little snowflake got a failing grade, and we can't have that.  So the principal caves to the parents, just to avoid the lawsuit or the confrontation and forces the teacher to pass the child.

Maybe a poor example, but you get the idea.  We've become a society of non-confrontational wussies, which is why every sort of strange behavior and abnormal whatever is taking over our culture.  And you can't say anything to anyone about anything they do, because then you are judging them, which is worse then anything anyone does.  I'm actually surprised rape and murder are still frowned upon in our society, for these exact same reasons.  And yes, I'm dead serious (no pun intended).

My apologies in advance for the thread jack, but hopefully you get my point about why sandbagging not only isn't discouraged, but isn't policed by anyone in the golf world anymore.  The only exception to this is Myrtle Beach, where they have the world's largest net event every year.  But if you show up to play in that event, you know going in that they have a zero tolerance policy on sandbagging, almost to the point that if you do have the round of your life you know you'll get tossed from the event anyway, no matter how legit your handicap and miracle round is.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, GSwag said:

This is exactly it.  It's like any uncomfortable subject - politics, religion, race, sexual preference, etc.  People just don't talk about it because they'd rather go along to get along, rather than make waves. 

So yeah, everyone sees sandbagging, but no one does a thing about it.  The couple of times I've witnessed sandbagging, and then you approach the club pro who was running the event, they have always punted on the issue, because they didn't want to piss off the member in question, or question their integrity.  And I've actually seen the pro turn around and chastise the person reporting the sandbagging, and made them out to feel like a horrible person for questioning another man's integrity.

I hope you don't mind, I edited your post to just the on-point portions.  From personal experience, I can tell you that being Handicap Chair is a pin in the tuches, and a fair amount of work.  You'll certainly get push-back from some people, even honest ones, because nobody wants to know that someone is checking up on them.  On the other hand, you'll find a LOT of people thanking you for taking the effort to make things better, and its definitely possible to improve things.

There's a specific reason that a club employee is not allowed to be the Handicap Chair, they want to avoid putting him in a conflict situation.  When you put the pro in the middle, he's likely to push back, almost anyone would.  Members need to "police" members.  Next time you start talking to the pro about sandbaggers, ask who the handicap chair is.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

My club has begun posting all tournament scores by the pro shop.  If you have admin access, like the pro shop does, it really doesn't take long.  To be honest, if someone said he wasn't going to post, I'd be fairly vocal about it in the bar area, "That was a great round, I'll help you post it while we're sitting right here".  To a certain extent, a significant percentage of the sandbagging goes on because the majority of players don't want to take the steps required to stop it.

The shop was supposed to do that and didn’t. Trust me I am very vocal and to the point that most of the mid to high handicap group calls me something that rhymes with bass bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I think it is somewhat abused. We will have 1 or 2 guys out of 50 that we know sandbag. There are also multiple ways to sand bag. Not posting a good score. Not posting from the correct set of tees. Posting a wrong score, ie. I shot 79, but I posted 84. Then you have vanity caps, but no one cares about them, because they never win. It’s sinple, Go play the round of golf, then post the correct score from the tees you played. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

What can really be done though? It really just comes down to us players. So this past weekend when the 12 shot a 78 if this was playing season should I have checked his handicap to make sure he posted it? And if he doesn’t call him out on it

7 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

The club I used to belong to (about a decade ago) had a bad reputation as a haven for sandbaggers (before I joined, of course).  They decided they didn't like the reputation, so the handicap committee charged the pro shop with ensuring that everyone on the tee sheet turned in a score.  If you were too lazy to walk to the computer to post after the round, you could hand them your card and they'd post for everyone in the group.  If you were too lazy to hand them your card, they'd post an even par round for you.  If they knew you were going out of town on a golf trip, they'd ask you for your cards.  Nearly all of us didn't want to be known as a sandbagger, so we supported their efforts.

My dad's senior men's group at his club plays net games three days a week, and they've basically formed their own handicap committee/militia/vigilante group.  They collect all cards and check them against posted scores.  Woe betide the golfer who "forgets" to post a score.  Hell hath no fury like a bunch of old guys with nothing better to do than check on each others' handicaps.

On my buddies trip, which consists of several golfers of varying abilities and handicaps (and lack thereof), we play a modified stableford game and recalculate quotas after each round.  If anyone blows away their quota in a round, they (and the teams they play on) are basically guaranteed to finish out of the money for the rest of the trip.  Their teammates in subsequent rounds will give them so much s*** that it's not worth cheating for a round.

Now that I play public courses and keep my handicap at one, I don't play net tournaments where I would care about the outcome.  I basically just keep it for invites to member-guests at my friends' clubs.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

16 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

One of the reasons most of our single figure guys don't enter the club handicap championship is they have zero chance of winning and very slim chance of getting through the 1st or 2nd round.

I played in the first round last year and the 15 handicapper was level par gross after 8 holes......"that's the best I've ever played he said", I've heard this cry from numerous players over the years.

Personally I find it a challenge to try and beat someone who clearly protects their handicap.

One guy last year proudly told me (as he beat me 6 & 4) he only plays in matchplay or stableford comps and his handicap has been at 9 for as long as he remembers! he was 1 over par after 16............THEN he skittered and duffed treble bogies on 17 and 18! Was that to try and show me he's really a true 9!!!!

Just saying that once the match is over your handicap score is what ever your current handicap says you would shoot on each hole for net par. That is to ensure people done close a match then duff it 

So today I played one over my handicap and won nothing.  I had three good chances at birdie but just could not connect. I was the first name on the #4 par 3 CTP sign, but that did not hold up. We did have one other among our 3 foursomes win CTP on another par 3 and another win low net on #18 with a net eagle.  Another won a sleeve of Volvik balls "hot pink" for the highest score. A few were talking about suspect handicaps and,based on responses to this thread, no doubt there is some gaming going on, but it was a fun day and $1 craft beers!  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

9 hours ago, Charli said:

What can really be done though? It really just comes down to us players. So this past weekend when the 12 shot a 78 if this was playing season should I have checked his handicap to make sure he posted it? And if he doesn’t call him out on it

A 12 shooting 78 isn’t alarming, unless they are doing it routinely. One of the guys in our group is  the same 12, he shot a legit 76. He just didn’t have his normal bad 4 holes where he makes double or worse. He is a 12, but that day he made some putts and didn’t have the blow up holes. Now the next week the same guy shot 93. Not because he was sandbagging, just because he went back to his normal game. I would only be concerned on a 12 shooting a 78 if he does it often, but once a year is not a concern. 

15 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

The shop was supposed to do that and didn’t. Trust me I am very vocal and to the point that most of the mid to high handicap group calls me something that rhymes with bass bowl.

I'd wear that like a badge of honour!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

9 hours ago, criley4way said:

Just saying that once the match is over your handicap score is what ever your current handicap says you would shoot on each hole for net par. That is to ensure people done close a match then duff it 

This isn't accurate, at least not in the USGA system.  See the following Decision from the Handicap Manual

5-2a/7. Score to Post if Match Ends in Fewer Than 18 Holes and Player Completes Round

Q: In match play, a player wins the match on the 16th hole. The player plays the remaining two holes. What score should the player post for these two holes?

A: The player must post the actual scores on the post-match holes. To post in any other manner would be at odds with the basic premise that contends that each player will try to make the best scores at every hole in every round. If the Committee believes that the player is inflating hole scores on the post-match holes, it may apply provisions of Section 8. (See 8-4c(iv).)

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I think that people who loose believe that the people who win, cheat.

Beyond a doubt cheating is out there - it can be avoided by joint by a men’s club that has handicap oversight and/or playing in reputable tournaments with handicap committees or of course only playing in gross score events.

I haven’t encountered nearly as much handicap cheating as others on here seem to have because I go that route.

And again I think it’s common for people who have lost to think that the winner of a handicap event must have cheated.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

6 minutes ago, revkev said:

Beyond a doubt cheating is out there - it can be avoided by joint by a men’s club that has handicap oversight and/or playing in reputable tournaments with handicap committees or of course only playing in gross score events.

I haven’t encountered nearly as much handicap cheating as others on here seem to have because I go that route.

And again I think it’s common for people who have lost to think that the winner of a handicap event must have cheated.

I agree completely.  Its hard for many people to believe that someone actually played better than their own good play, it helps their ego to think that the winner had to cheat to win.  But if you get a decent sized field, that can happen pretty often.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I wouldn’t use the word cheat, but when I see the same group of members at my club that all manage to shoot rounds well under their index in tournament rounds (and only in tournament rounds at just about every tournament) my interests peak. I don’t do much care if I lose but the handicap system is supposed to at least allow for a fair fight. I don’t mind giving 17 or 18 shots if it is legit. I have issue in giving a legit 10 or 11 that many shots.

Most of the events that I play these days are straight up or have a gross division. Sheer net events at 100% handicap are a no go.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

I began keeping a handicap through GHIN last year for my own purposes. It is nice to have a number that tracks your improvement (or lack thereof) over a season.
I’ve played in leagues the last two years. The person running the league adjusts your handicap each week based on the league scores only. It’s a nice system because you can’t take large scores from other times of play and have a bump in handicap for league play. Everyone in the league enjoys golfing and drinking together, which is the true purpose of the league.
The other reason I keep a handicap is for a buddies golf trip where we play multiple games over a weekend. So far, due to the nature of the games, you can’t win by sandbagging as there are too many team events. The person that runs the weekend is very strategic about ensuring that cheating can not be rewarded.
I’m sure that there are less than honest people that play in events, but I would hope my joy of playing golf would not be negatively impacted by there actions. And as many have stated, if there are too many examples of less than honest scorekeeping, I would choose to not play in those events or with those people.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

1 hour ago, Jmikecpa said:

I wouldn’t use the word cheat, but when I see the same group of members at my club that all manage to shoot rounds well under their index in tournament rounds (and only in tournament rounds at just about every tournament) my interests peak. I don’t do much care if I lose but the handicap system is supposed to at least allow for a fair fight. I don’t mind giving 17 or 18 shots if it is legit. I have issue in giving a legit 10 or 11 that many shots.

I'm happy to call it what it is, sandbagging is cheating.  Statistically, its tough for a low-handicap guy to win a net event, even when all handicaps are fair.  Higher handicaps tend to have a wider range of scores, and there are generally a lot more of them.  Given the larger population, its pretty likely that one of them will shoot a pretty low score, and given the larger variability, that "pretty low score" will beat your own "pretty low score".  

But if their low tournament scores aren't being recorded, your handicap committee isn't doing its job.  

1 hour ago, palvord said:

I began keeping a handicap through GHIN last year for my own purposes

I know I'm notpicking, but I know you can't access Ghin as an individual, you have to do it through a club that is part of a regional association that has chosen Ghin to do its handicap maintenance.  Did you do this through your home club?

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

24 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I know I'm notpicking, but I know you can't access Ghin as an individual, you have to do it through a club that is part of a regional association that has chosen Ghin to do its handicap maintenance.  Did you do this through your home club?

I can't say what @palvord did exactly, but I joined a local golf association almost exclusively for this purpose and I think it's probably common practice around my part of the country. The association I joined doesn't require a handicap for membership, it is purely optional. They do monitor scores and will make adjustments as necessary. We play a variety of formats and I haven't encountered any situation that made me suspect someone was sandbagging. In fact when I was chosen to play in a match play event against another club, I was so evenly paired that we went to 17 holes the first day and 18 holes the next.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

A 12 shooting 78 isn’t alarming, unless they are doing it routinely. One of the guys in our group is  the same 12, he shot a legit 76. He just didn’t have his normal bad 4 holes where he makes double or worse. He is a 12, but that day he made some putts and didn’t have the blow up holes. Now the next week the same guy shot 93. Not because he was sandbagging, just because he went back to his normal game. I would only be concerned on a 12 shooting a 78 if he does it often, but once a year is not a concern. 

I agree.  As a 14, I've already had two sub 80 rounds this winter season (79, 78, over ~ 36 rounds).  But in that same stretch, have had five rounds in the low 90's (94 the worst).  I found the following article about this subject and it's quite good.  The statistics table suggests that I have a 552:1 odds of scoring a 79.  Further, that any of us shoot more than +/- 3 strokes of our handicap should start raising eyebrows. Not disputing the math, but I think players do get both "streaky" and catch lady-luck's airstream more than gaussian distribution might otherwise dictate. 

The table also supports something I've observed when participating in handicap based events - that being in the lower end of the middle range handicap, odds are, your name won't be announced at the awards ceremony. 😢

"Higher-handicap players have a greater chance of shooting an exceptional round because score variability rises with handicaps. That’s why mid- to high-handicappers often walk off with the title in a large-field net event. Low handicappers can be consoled by the fact that their consistency gives them the edge in head-to-head play and multiple-round tournaments."

http://www.cdga.org/pdf/3299_1_Fairway_Felons.pdf

18 minutes ago, Charli said:

Yeah I know it’s not alarming but let’s say I suspect he’s not posting. What can really be done do I rat him out? I know a 12 shooting a 78 isn’t a big deal. I was just using him as an example

As someone who as worked in a Pro Shop and in conjunction with a handicap chair/committee the only way to fix it is to have the fellow golfers police it. I have seen many different tactics to try to combat sandbagging and while some work for a period of time overall they fail. One of the biggest sandbaggers I have seen was the father of the head pro at a country club. The Pro Shop posted all scores. Still didn't solve the problem, it has to come from the guys he plays with. As far as a 12 shooting a 78, it is not uncommon, however if he is not posting then yes, you should say something. 

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I agree.  As a 14, I've already had two sub 80 rounds this winter season (79, 78, over ~ 36 rounds).  But in that same stretch, have had five rounds in the low 90's (94 the worst).  I found the following article about this subject and it's quite good.  The statistics table suggests that I have a 552:1 odds of scoring a 79.  Further, that any of us shoot more than +/- 3 strokes of our handicap should start raising eyebrows. Not disputing the math, but I think players do get both "streaky" and catch lady-luck's airstream more than gaussian distribution might otherwise dictate. 

The table also supports something I've observed when participating in handicap based events - that being in the lower end of the middle range handicap, odds are, your name won't be announced at the awards ceremony. 😢

"Higher-handicap players have a greater chance of shooting an exceptional round because score variability rises with handicaps. That’s why mid- to high-handicappers often walk off with the title in a large-field net event. Low handicappers can be consoled by the fact that their consistency gives them the edge in head-to-head play and multiple-round tournaments."

http://www.cdga.org/pdf/3299_1_Fairway_Felons.pdf

This range of scores is very common in my experience and while it makes it almost impossible for me to play against you net, because of the wide range, I would not suspect sandbagging. (Unless the only time you shoot 78 or 79 is in tournaments.)

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

7 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

This range of scores is very common in my experience and while it makes it almost impossible for me to play against you net, because of the wide range, I would not suspect sandbagging. (Unless the only time you shoot 78 or 79 is in tournaments.)

Hell, I wish I could post these rounds in tournaments. We'll be playing this pseudo tournament format every other Monday through March, so I'm hoping that super low round comes early in the 552 game count 😁.

I know I'm nitpicking, but I know you can't access Ghin as an individual, you have to do it through a club that is part of a regional association that has chosen Ghin to do its handicap maintenance.  Did you do this through your home club?

I joined the Golf Association of Michigan, and through that membership am able to use GHIN.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

That’s the problem, I don’t care enough to look him up and make sure he posts it. I’m sure as hell not going to do that with every person I play with. It’s going to be very hard to have the members police it. Most of the time nobody cares until they’re affected by it 

4 hours ago, Charli said:

Yeah I know it’s not alarming but let’s say I suspect he’s not posting. What can really be done do I rat him out? I know a 12 shooting a 78 isn’t a big deal. I was just using him as an example

In order for the system to work properly scores need to be posted good or bad. 

In our group we have a guy that will call anyone out, and he will check scores to make sure they are entered. Sort of like, hey,  I hear you shot 72 yesterday, did you post it. If not, he will take you straight to the computer and watch you do it. 

18 minutes ago, Charli said:

That’s the problem, I don’t care enough to look him up and make sure he posts it. I’m sure as hell not going to do that with every person I play with. It’s going to be very hard to have the members police it. Most of the time nobody cares until they’re affected by it 

So if members don't police it who does?

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

So if members don't police it who does?

My club had a handicap committee comprised of two members and our head pro. They are supposed to compare the tee sheet to the GHIN postings on a weekly basis to make sure scores are posted for rounds played. I would say it is ineffective to say the least and the penalty for not posting is not being allowed into handicap events. In my several years there I don’t know of one member that has been barred from a club event.

To give another perspective to this I got an inquiry last year as to why most of my scores posted were “away” scores and I should not do this. Considering I spend five days a week over two hours away from my club for work that should be an acceptable answer. Apparently playing a few times during the week and posting the scores from those rounds was frowned upon.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

17 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

My club had a handicap committee comprised of two members and our head pro. They are supposed to compare the tee sheet to the GHIN postings on a weekly basis to make sure scores are posted for rounds played. I would say it is ineffective to say the least and the penalty for not posting is not being allowed into handicap events. In my several years there I don’t know of one member that has been barred from a club event.

To give another perspective to this I got an inquiry last year as to why most of my scores posted were “away” scores and I should not do this. Considering I spend five days a week over two hours away from my club for work that should be an acceptable answer. Apparently playing a few times during the week and posting the scores from those rounds was frowned upon.

Agreed that the club, whether it is Head Pro, committee or any other such agency is not effective. Even if you could possibly match every scorecard to every score posted it still doesn't solve the problem. There is nothing to stop a foursome from putting down an erroneous score attesting it and turning it in. 

I know of a few clubs that will not allow you to post a score period. Has to be turned in to the shop and be attested with someone else. Home or away. One of these used to be the most notorious club within 100 miles for sandbaggers. 

I, like you do not play in net events for this reason. And if I do, I do it for pure enjoyment and expect to finish in the bottom half of the field. 

Most of the events that I play these days are straight up or have a gross division. Sheer net events at 100% handicap are a no go.

Clearly that’s an issue - I haven’t encountered much of it though - the same guys should not be winning handicap events more should they be able to consistently shoot under their index. The clubs that I’ve been a part of would have addressed the matter. I must be fortunate.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived