Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Let's Talk Trucks

fixyurdivot

We've been looking at replacing our 2006 Dodge 2500 CTD with a gas 1/2 ton.  It's been a really good truck, but does not have some of the interior comforts we'd like (dual and rear air, leather heat/cool seats, etc.).  Also, we originally purchased it thinking that we'd get a 5th wheel and instead have a smaller 6500 lb fully loaded TT - and let's be quite honest that these HD trucks ride best when they're hauling the loads they were designed for. My buddies here in Yuma and a friend in MT have newer (2014+) Ram 1500's, Laramie package, with the Hemi.  Having rode around in them the last few months to/from golfing, I must say they are quite comfortable and so much quieter than our 2500.  They also have some impressive power. 

A neighbor in MT just purchased a 2018 F150 Lariat with the 3.5L Ecoboost. He works with his FIL running a large ranch, has driven nearly every make/model over the years, and says this is "the best towing truck he's had" - even comparing to 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.  And these guy's haul lots of stuff pretty long distances through our mountain passes. 

The research I've found from Car & Driver and others, conducting side by side comparisons, has these very evenly matched (Chevy/GMC as well).  At present, my wife seems to be leaning towards the Ram and I'm still split between Ram and Ford.  Given the high level of golf industry products intellect my fellow MGS's have, I don't see it as a stretch to think some good intel on these products might be obtained. So for those forum members who have recently done research into 1/2 ton trucks and perhaps purchased one, which did you buy and what were the primary reasons?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

So I ended up getting rid of my 2013 f150 for a 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 back in 16. I've driven Ford and rams which I will say the ride of the Chevy is just smoother. The nice thing about the Chevy is I think it has a generally smoother ride. When I haul things in my trailer for hunting or even my parents camper i don't notice a difference than without. My friend who has a toy hauler ended up getting a silverado and his other truck is a Tundra. They have a smooth ride and you can get all the options you want or don't want in them.

We have a Toyota Sequoia for our family ride. Based on the Tundra, and I can’t recommend it enough.

I talked my dad into a Tundra 1857 edition over all the other 1500 trucks. I sold him on the fit and finish, engine and trans combo, towing captivity and the overall reliability of the dang things.

He got his all decked out with all the bells, and ended up getting a dual exhaust system that makes the beast come alive. (After years of telling me that my trucks were too loud).

I think it’s the best 1/2 ton on the market for a gas option. Plus you get heated, and cooled seats...

And it rides like a Cadillac.

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

We have a Toyota Sequoia for our family ride. Based on the Tundra, and I can’t recommend it enough.

I talked my dad into a Tundra 1857 edition over all the other 1500 trucks. I sold him on the fit and finish, engine and trans combo, towing captivity and the overall reliability of the dang things.

He got his all decked out with all the bells, and ended up getting a dual exhaust system that makes the beast come alive. (After years of telling me that my trucks were too loud).

I think it’s the best 1/2 ton on the market for a gas option. Plus you get heated, and cooled seats...

And it rides like a Cadillac.

Numerous friends of mine hate the gas mileage of their tundras some don't even get 15 mpg

All I know about trucks is that I want a Tacoma. Probably a little too small for what you're wanting, but it seems like these things last forever and ever.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

The crazy thing about the Western NY market, there is such a demand for 1/2 tons that you can get a nicely equipped 3/4 ton for nearly the same price.

Bob Johnson Chevrolet is in Rochester and is the #1 Chevy dealer in the nation. I see so many Silverados I swear they’re mating

Brands aside, I’ve always been a ford guy and so has my father. His last Chevy was an 86 Scottsdale. He’s driven 8 fords since. Chevy still reigns supreme at the firehouse however. Between the silverados and Sierra’s, GM beats ford 10-6.

There’s only one way to get what you want and that’s drive them. One thing I will add is that the newer 1/2 tons are able to pull some decent loads. They may give your ‘06 a run for its money.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I can't speak from personal experience, but my dad recently purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Quad Cab and it is NICE. I don't recall ever having liked the Ram. It's design just never appealed to me, but the 2019 has definitely piqued my interest. 

I will second what others have mentioned about gas mileage on the Tundra and add that Nissan's are just as bad if not worse. I have a buddy with a slightly older (but still in great shape) Titan and he's getting low teens on average. It's likely that some of the import manufacturers aren't doing much in the way of cylinder management (whatever it's called) because maybe they aren't having to work quite as hard to meet CAFE requirements due to better fuel economy throughout the rest of their lineup. I think my dad said he's averaging the same or better than my wife's 2011 Nissan Rogue AWD with his new truck.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

For me, the search would start and end with the Toyota Tundra.  Get anything else and youre asking to have problems.  Ford has issues with the Ecoboost engines, GM has poor quality (especially the electronics) and the Ram is a Chrysler product (no explanation should be neccesary there).

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

31 minutes ago, Zengolfer said:

For me, the search would start and end with the Toyota Tundra.  Get anything else and youre asking to have problems.  Ford has issues with the Ecoboost engines, GM has poor quality (especially the electronics) and the Ram is a Chrysler product (no explanation should be neccesary there).

No disputing their reliability record, but the thing about Toyota for me is that their interiors are so utilitarian looking.  Our drives tend to be long in Montana or to/from AZ in winter.  

1 hour ago, silver & black said:

Well, I'm a MOPAR guy from way back.... I bleed Hemi orange when it comes to vehicles, so................😉

The Dodge definitely gets the nod in the throttle sound department and the 5.7 motor has a very solid history.

I drive a Ram with a hemi at work. Today I filled it up with gas, hooked up to the trailer, loaded a mini excavator(total weight 12k lbs). Tripped my mpg and averaged 5.5 mpg. When it’s empty, no trailer, it only gets 12mpg at best. Just saying they suck at fuel economy.

CobraConnectChallenge3

I love my '15 GMC Sierra 3/4 ton All-Terrain edition. It's not the denali but darn near close. Love the smooth ride. Rarely tow but haul a bunch in the bed. No issues with MPG...but then again, I work in oil and gas and I love inefficient vehicles and think we should fire every schmuck that drives a Tesla/Prius in our parking garage! 

I'm sure you've heard it in the news, but the price of diesel will be up in the air around 2020/2021 with the new bunker fuel (diesel used for marine vessels) requirements worldwide. Bunker fuel is like the leftover diesel after it's refined but if you have to make the leftover stuff really clean, then you need to clean the refined stuff as well and that cost a TON of money. One of our refineries along the Gulf Coast just spent $1.7 Billion on a low-sulfur diesel refining unit...and that was just to meet upcoming EPA standards about to go into effect. These new requirements could cause a serious spike in diesel fuel for everyone...or the standards to be relaxed a bit and prices could remain stable. Just something to keep in the back of your mind if you're going the diesel route. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Brief history, my family bought it's first Toyota in the 80's.  Since, we have had at least one truck representative from both GM and Ford take residence at our house. Currently we have 3 Toyotas in our household alone and in the past 2-3 years we have had 3 additional Toyota trucks running with directly related family members.  That's just due to the fact that they work.

Now in regards to the other fine options for trucks.  Direct stories from friends that either daily drive personal and/or work trucks, GM quality has slipped in this previous generation stemming from electrical problems, fit and finish, and even pre 100k mile transmission replacements in both 1500 and 2500 HDs. Most of those guys are standing by their Chevys (one admitted they would buy a Toyota diesel, if offered) , but 3 others I have known for most of my life (20+ years) as GM guys, have traded in or bought new F-150's or Toyotas for their personal trucks, AND switched to F-150s for work.  That's not to say the rumor mill hasn't had problems (fit and finish inconsistencies), but it is a striking sign that a number of GM guys I know are driving Fords. The new silverados drive/ride very well, but the recent problems raise an eyebrow.

FWIW, for the American brand choices, see who wants your business the most to make a good deal and off you go.  But, If gas mileage isn't a problem, Toyota would be my first choice and I wouldn't think twice about it.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

From the Age of 15 when I got my 1st Mustang i have been a Ford guy, more or less. My current truck is a 2011 Silverado  1500.

I get 16-17 around town 20-21 hiway. Towed boats, and trailers. It' is the nicest riding truck.. just my $.02. 

Make a list of wants and needs, then go drive everything then figure out of the truck you liked driving the best which one checks the boxes that mean the most.. They are all great trucks.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I'm by no means an expert on vehicles.  I'm about as far from being a "car guy" as one could get.  Never saw the fascination with something that owns you!  It's like owning a boat or RV.  They suck every ounce of money you have if you let them.

With that said, my grandfather owned a 446 acre farm when I was a kid.  That was after he subdivided well over 200 acres to divide between his 9 children when they became adults.  It took us all to keep up with the demands.  Based on this, I feel I have valuable input.

I agree with the comment above.  Spend the extra money and get a 3/4 ton truck regardless of make or model.  The single most neglected piece of information associated with "towing capacity" is "stopping capacity!"  Most trucks will tow significant weight but they absolutely will not equally stop said weight.  3/4 ton trucks have much larger break assemblies giving them significantly more stopping power.

Using the RV analogy above, how often do we see a 24-foot/6,000 pound travel trailer being towed with a 4,000 pound 1/2 ton truck?  It takes that truck hundreds of feet longer to stop that travel trailer than it would a 3/4 ton truck that weighs 7,500 pounds.  Not to mention the excessive wear and tear as a result! 

22 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

No disputing their reliability record, but the thing about Toyota for me is that their interiors are so utilitarian looking.  Our drives tend to be long in Montana or to/from AZ in winter.  

Well, I mean, its truck.  Thats kind of the point.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

25 minutes ago, Zengolfer said:

Well, I mean, its truck.  Thats kind of the point.

I'm looking for the best performance, reliability, and comfort.  That's why I still bag PE2's 😁.

You have to remember that maintenance  and repairs on a 3/4 ton truck is more expensive. My mechanic charges $100 just to pull a 3/4 ton truck into the bay. Everything about them is more expensive.

I’d rather pay a little more in maintenance and have my family a lot safer.

1 hour ago, silver & black said:

How is a 3/4 ton truck safer than a 1/2 ton truck?

Well, many say "he who has the most lug nuts wins" 😁.  I agree that used within their design limits, 1/2 ton trucks are no less safe than larger payload trucks. Any used overloaded can be a problem - particularly stopping.

2 hours ago, silver & black said:

How is a 3/4 ton truck safer than a 1/2 ton truck?

As I indicated in a previous post, stopping power is far more important than towing power.  If you're towing a travel trailer with your family, a 1/2 ton truck isn't nearly as safe.

21 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm looking for the best performance, reliability, and comfort.  That's why I still bag PE2's 😁.

So why havent you gone to the Toyota dealership yet??? LOL

One of our Canadian friends recently purchased a new GMC Canyon.  I rode in it the other day and it was a pretty nice truck. The rear crew cab felt pretty spacious.  I asked how he liked it and he's already considering trading it in on a full size - he's leaning towards the F150.  He bought it thinking he really didn't need a full size and sort of on an impulse decision.  I told him I had considered these mid size trucks (including the Tacoma) and he advised not too - simply too much give up in the truck class/capability.

Archived