Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

When does an (amateur) golfer decide just swing

Big money

As I stated (amateur) golfers like us for this thread. When do we determine our swings are functional. And go out and just play knowing your ball will go right to left or left to right? This game can be so expensive when it comes to golf lessons. I’m sure we know of, or might be one of us, peeps that decided this is what they have. Just grip it and let the ball fly. Only take a lesson when things completely fall apart 

comments ..

Keep it in the short stuff

Beyond my Dad showing me the basics of the game when I was a kid, I've never had a lesson.  My only issue with someone hitting the golf course and not really being capable of playing the game, is if they slow up pace of play.  If you suck and can suck fast, by all means, hit away.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

31 minutes ago, Edveed said:

As I stated (amateur) golfers like us for this thread. When do we determine our swings are functional. And go out and just play knowing your ball will go right to left or left to right? This game can be so expensive when it comes to golf lessons. I’m sure we know of, or might be one of us, peeps that decided this is what they have. Just grip it and let the ball fly. Only take a lesson when things completely fall apart 

comments ..

Many players do this right from the start, they play the way they play, and never worry about trying to improve.  Others are never satisfied, always chasing the elusive next step to becoming a better player.  The ones that I don't understand are the guys who never take a lesson, never practice, and then complain about the way they play.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

5 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Many players do this right from the start, they play the way they play, and never worry about trying to improve.  Others are never satisfied, always chasing the elusive next step to becoming a better player.  The ones that I don't understand are the guys who never take a lesson, never practice, and then complain about the way they play.

I would say this is 95% of the guys I play with . And they are some decent sticks. They learned the basics from a pro growing up. Or a parent that played golf. Developed a solid game with a one way miss. And they are 0% internet golfers. I’m the only one who reads and posts on these things of the big group. I’ve noticed that most on these sites  are full of confused and lost- bad players like me who are looking for a quick tip of the day. I’ve never had the golf gene and maybe never will 

Keep it in the short stuff

comments ..

I agree with the assessment that this is what most people do.

I don’t agree that lessons are expensive - like equipment you can spend as little or as much as you’d like on them. Seek out a top 100 teacher and it’s $200. But there are other ways to get very good high quality instruction for far less.

I firmly believe that the primary reason that most people don’t take lessons is that they’ve heard stories from friends who took a lesson and had their swings “screwed up.”

The reality about lessons is the same as the reality about fitness - it takes time and effort to improve one’s golf swing - it’s not happening magically through a lesson whether that’s taught by Butch Harmon or the pro at your local muni - you have to work at what you’re learning.

I respect the person who says that he doesn’t want to put in the effort and just enjoys playing. The person who claims he can do it himself better than with a teacher or really believes that a professional would “screw” up his swing if he put in the work - not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think a lot of players really don't see an alternative to just playing with what they have. One of the reasons is getting a qualified teacher (much like a fitter) that can actually help you is easier said than done. Once you get beyond the basics of grip, stance, setup and general motion it gets harder and harder to address weaknesses and shave strokes.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Archived