Sign in to follow this  
GregB135

Scrambling to fill a Scramble team in Tampa this Saturday. HELP!!

Fellow Tampa area spies. 

As the topic heading suggests, I'm in a mad scramble to try and fill a scramble team for a tournament this Saturday (Feb 2). I had a full team originally, but I've had two late drop-outs, and I've gone a big fat 0-fer 8 trying to find last minute subs.

If any of you are interested and available, reply here and send me a message.

It's a great format, and I've played in a number events by this tournament host that are always fun, a good deal, and well operated. 

I'm in Tallahassee, which is about a 4 hour drive.  If you get really desperate, PM me, as I might be able to do this, depending on tee time, etc.

• Like 1

Wish I was closer.  I'd play the lead off designated short hitter get one in the fairway role 😎

Also tagging these guys for you so they see 

@fozcycle

@revkev

Good luck! 

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies guys. I was able to get the team filled. I'll cease panic now. 

I will let you all know how we do. We are all mid-cappers so if we finish mid pack we should be where we ought to be. It's a good vs. evil format: 9 holes of easy setup on the front 9, back 9 is hard setup and challenge holes (bunker tee shots, flop shots etc.). Each 9 is scored as a separate tourney as well as an overall 18 winner, so 3 chances to 'win'. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Wish I was closer.  I'd play the lead off designated short hitter get one in the fairway role 😎

Also tagging these guys for you so they see 

@fozcycle

@revkev

Good luck! 

I'm the issue, Rob.  I was originally slated to play but had a memorial service switch from the 19th earlier this month to the 2nd because of weather and then from 4 PM on the 2nd (a doable time for the scramble) to 2 PM (not so doable) and now to 11:00 AM (totally impossible). 

So I will be doing a funeral service at the time of the Scramble - trust me I'd rather be doing the Scramble - this was a guy whom I was close to and who had said on more than one occasion that he wanted me to perform this service for him. 😞

• Like 2

2 hours ago, revkev said:

I'm the issue, Rob.  I was originally slated to play but had a memorial service switch from the 19th earlier this month to the 2nd because of weather and then from 4 PM on the 2nd (a doable time for the scramble) to 2 PM (not so doable) and now to 11:00 AM (totally impossible). 

So I will be doing a funeral service at the time of the Scramble - trust me I'd rather be doing the Scramble - this was a guy whom I was close to and who had said on more than one occasion that he wanted me to perform this service for him. 😞

Ah...well sorry for your loss Rev.

Thanks, Rob -

It's life for me - I've been here 13 years so not only are the folks at my church parishioners, they are family.

• Like 1

Greg, what are the details.....I may be able to help.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Greg, what are the details.....I may be able to help.

Ooooooops, got this too late. Good Luck!

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).
  • Like 1

Thanks spy network for reaching out. We were able to play as a threesome, and held our own enough to finish middle of the pack.

The good vs. evil setup was a lot of fun again at this event. We actually had a lower score on the evil 9 (-4) than the good (-2). The evil holes included: A hole cut behind the green in short rough/apron, no flag sticks on the greens, a 45/50 yard bunker tee shot, obstacles (maintenance carts) in the fairway, and obstructions around the hole. On another hole everyone had to putt with a junior size putter. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Where did you play?

It was at the Chi Chi Rodriguez GC in Clearwater. It's VERY short, so I was leery of it as a scramble site and how it would affect pace of play. We did have to wait on every par 5, and actually a couple of par 4 greens to clear for tee shots (drove one through a par 4 green actually....) It was a good site for this event though with the modified setups for good v. evil. The course conditions overall were on the excellent side of good. There were a few rough/this/bare spots in some fairways, but the greens, for being bermuda, rolled quick and true. A nice course and a good value.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GregB135 said:

It was at the Chi Chi Rodriguez GC in Clearwater. It's VERY short, so I was leery of it as a scramble site and how it would affect pace of play. We did have to wait on every par 5, and actually a couple of par 4 greens to clear for tee shots (drove one through a par 4 green actually....) It was a good site for this event though with the modified setups for good v. evil. The course conditions overall were on the excellent side of good. There were a few rough/this/bare spots in some fairways, but the greens, for being bermuda, rolled quick and true. A nice course and a good value.

Glad you had a great time - I'm sure a much better "time" than I did although I do believe that I helped the family out which was all that mattered.

I like Chi Chi's - it's normally just as you described it - in good enough shape, short but requiring some thought and a variety of shots.  Sounds like a really fun format for the event.  Please keep me in mind when one pops up in the future.  I have help coming after May so shouldn't encounter getting knocked out for a funeral like this time - the only stopper would be a wedding or major weekend (Easter - confirmation - something like that)

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    AceInMySleeve

• By ga_pike
      If this post is not permitted, please delete.  

The 2019 Milltown Open to benefit the Lanier County Lions Club is being held on Friday, May 10th at Stone Creek Golf Club in Valdosta, GA.  4 man scramble with cash prizes for 1st and 2nd place along with gift certificates for longest drive and 4 close ups.  If you are in the south Georgia or north Florida area and interested in playing, please come out and join us!!  Box lunches provided pre-round and a BBQ buffet will be provided post round.  

Thanks!  

• By GregB135
      Spent a couple of hours this afternoon at the Tampa Bay Golffest event. A really nice though not especially large demo day event hosted by Tampa Bay Downs. Had a chance to hit some of the new offerings out there in the marketplace and some potential GolfSpy test candidates. 
      Hit several drivers. The new Mizuno ST, Ping G410, Wilson Cortex, and Cobra F9 Speedback. Keeping in mind it wasn't full fitting for each, but the reps did ask enough questions to get you close enough spec wise so you were hitting something close to your current gamer. Of the 4, my least favorite was the Mizuno, it just didn't have the same feel as the others. The Ping G410 just felt AWESOME. The Cobra felt good, like the ball was exploding off the face, but the ball flight was a little higher than my preference, and the ball was airborne for.....ever. The Cortex was a surprise. Felt good and solid, sound and ball flight were right there with all the others. I hit a smattering of irons, but wasn't focused enough on those to include data. The latest of the Mizuno JPX forged though was a very solid feeling club. In any case, I didn't put anything back on the rack thinking "boy that sucked" so be encouraged GolfSpy universe, there is some really good equipment coming out this year.
      Also spied some of the new Bridgestone e12 golf balls in the sale tent. I'm sure we are all waiting for the revelation of those testers (my fingers are crossed).
      Last, I got some Trackman style feedback on the effectiveness of the SuperSpeed training system (about to start week 9 for me). Participating in the skills contests, included 4 Trackman assessed shots with driver. With a mis-fit glove, no warm-up, no golf shoes, and a random selection of not my drivers to choose from, I got all 4 swings onto the grid with 3 going past 270 at 100mph. About a 15-20 yard gain from last season!! Still waiting on the promised email with the Trackman video/data and pro comparison.
      A pretty cool afternoon.

• By GregB135
      Hey fellow spies. Last summer I submitted course reviews from my competitive league season down here in the Tampa area. As I am preparing again for the start of the season in March, I will plan to do the course reviews again here, as well as summarizing my prep and performance. When the league schedule is posted I will list the courses, then as each play week concludes I'll do my course review and my best sports analyst impression to report on that week's play. I'll try to include a few more pictures this season as well, we play some pretty nice courses.
      The league has about 45 members, uses a full handicap stroke play format with each week's field set at 32-36 players split between two flights.. League points are earned for weekly placement, and there are options for skins and close-to-pin. There are three majors on the schedule worth double points, one of which is a two-day event, and another week set aside for a two-man team event. The season concludes a Top-20 invitational, then a Ryder Cup style event with teams selected by two team captains from first the top 20 finishers, then captains picks from the rest of the field.
      Since I finished 25th last year, my goal for the season is to crack the Top-20 and earn a playing spot in the invitational and an invite to the Cup event.
      What have I done to prepare so far? Lessons for one thing, though I'm not certain the teacher/student dynamic is working well because I sometimes struggle to translate his input into something I can feel in my swing. I was lucky enough to be selected for the Odyssey EXO putter test, and my putting has been improving since. Since I'm now one year away from Champions Tour eligibility, I got a set of the SuperSpeed Training system to at least try to maintain what club speed I've got left, if not improve a bit. 
      I hope you all enjoy reading about the journey, and I welcome any/all input and encouragement.
      Cheers for now.
    • By PaulASchulman
      Been following MyGolfSpy for quite some time, but have never introduced myself.  

I'm a Member at Old Memorial and Cypress Run in Tampa and Rockaway Hunting in New York.  Play to a 6+ index (from the wrong side of the ball).

Love the game of golf, but really love the camerarderie!  Travel extensively inside the US to play golf, but also to other parts of the planet (annually to the UK, and most often, Scotland).

Here's to staying healthy and enjoying the game we love (and hate)!!

• By Golfspy_CG2
      After some discussion in a couple different threads there appears to be a simmering interest in having a MGS Golf Outing somewhere this spring.  So taking what little has been discussed already and putting it in one place for  a proposed outing this Spring.

Where: World Woods Golf Course, Brooksvillle Florida (about 45 minutes north of Tampa Intl Airport)    http://www.worldwoods.com/

When: Late March to Late  April   (March 31/April 2 or April 7/9 or April 21/23

Who: Any Interested MGS'er and Guests

So we know we have a least a couple long time MGS'ers in the area in Rev and Foz, and a couple new ones I believe as well.  The courses are ranked in the Top 100 you can play on many golf lists.  

Tampa is about as easy and affordable of airport as you can find to fly into.   

I've done a bit of searching on the course and the associated villas and the rates on golf go down significantly after April 1 and I'm thinking flights do as well.   I know Rev has mentioned the 2nd week or so of April would leave him out, so that might make the Weekend of April 7/8.  That is The Masters weekend, for better or worst, just so everyone knows.   The following weekend is Easter weekend, so that is definitely a no go.     The third weekend mentioned would be the latest I could go, as it starts to get into our busy outing season after that. 

I'm going to see if I can attach a poll to the thread, and feel free to vote and make any general comments or suggestions in the thread.  After we get some responses, we'll start seeing if it's realistically doable and narrow things down. 
  • Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!