Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Koepka On Pace Of Play: “Guys are already so slow it’s kind of embarrassing."

Mr. 82

On 2/19/2019 at 2:20 PM, DaveP043 said:

But their bosses, the players themselves, don't care, or resist those changes.

I think this speaks to the fact that the vast majority of pro's (and non pro's for that matter) don't see slow play as being that big an issue. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I think this speaks to the fact that the vast majority of pro's (and non pro's for that matter) don't see slow play as being that big an issue. 

I'm not sure that a majority are happy with the current pace of play. I think a big factor is that a majority don't want to be the one who gets a penalty.  Every player has a problem day, one where he spends time looking for balls, or needs a number of rulings, so even fast players can get far enough behind to get on the clock.  Once they're on the clock, another difficult situation could mean they really need to extend their normal routine, and extending that routine brings the danger of "bad times".  So when they start making rules, they try to make it lenient enough that they'll never get penalized.  This is all just my guess, I have no evidence for any of this.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

It’s not like the Tour will all of a sudden start penalizing players, because they have allowed slow play to become the norm for years.  I think they will need at least a year promoting a change, making sure that all players are aware of what the expectations are for pace of play and how the change will be enforced.  I applaud Brooks Koepka for speaking up and getting the conversation started at the player level.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived