TESTERS WANTED! ×

Koepka On Pace Of Play: “Guys are already so slow it’s kind of embarrassing."

Mr. 82

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Why is that ironic?

Typically the complaints are about playing long rounds and having to wait on each hole...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Typically the complaints are about playing long rounds and having to wait on each hole...

So why did you make reference to my local course?  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Just now, fixyurdivot said:

So why did you make reference to my local course?  

Wasn't "your" in specific, just a general your.... poor choice of words. Sorry

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Wasn't "your" in specific, just a general your.... poor choice of words. Sorry

OK, thanks.  Pace of play has not been a chronic problem on any of the courses I've been playing here in Yuma (or MT).  A couple of choke points at par 3's but it typically clears out on subsequent holes.  Most are just happy to be out enjoying the game and not making speed of play a key focus point.  What does slow things down the most is the traveling skins game.  This is a bit ironic in that most are better than average golfers - but once $$$ are the mix it can get slow.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

15 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

OK, thanks.  Pace of play has not been a chronic problem on any of the courses I've been playing here in Yuma (or MT).  A couple of choke points at par 3's but it typically clears out on subsequent holes.  Most are just happy to be out enjoying the game and not making speed of play a key focus point.  What does slow things down the most is the traveling skins game.  This is a bit ironic in that most are better than average golfers - but once $$$ are the mix it can get slow.  

I envy you!!

It's nearly impossible to play here before noon on the weekends... waiting on almost every shot.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

In our weekly scramble that starts after daylight savings time starts in March, I proposed to our committee that you reward the first team in with 3 extra points, the 2nd team in with 2 extra points, and the 3rd team in with 1 extra point.  We are on a stableford points system, so the more points you get, the better.

I also suggested that if two teams tie for the win that week, that the team that finished first gets an extra point to break the tie.

My point to all of this pace of play discussion on the PGA Tour is, if the Tour really wanted to do something about it, they easily could.  I think Brooks being so candid about it, and talking about it is a start, but you have to want to do something about it, and as has already been said here over and over again, the PGA Tour doesn't do anything about it, so here we stay until something changes.

But think about my idea above in relation to the PGA Tour.  Can you imagine the pace of play if you rewarded faster play with fewer strokes?  Man, those guys would finish 18 holes in 2 hours.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

On 1/30/2019 at 11:50 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I'm all for pace of play but from my understanding BAD is within the rules of play.  The tour seems to be pretty intent on this particular issue and last season put several players "on the clock" and I'm sure they'd do the same if BAD was violating the rule, but from what I've read he is not violating any rule.

As far as the 'gamesmanship' goes...I have no problem.  He does what it takes to win within the rules of play.  whatever that is.  If guys don't like it, too bad.  Some guys didn't like Larry Bird talking trash to them either....

BAD gets put on the clock pretty much every round and he admitted that recently. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

BAD gets put on the clock pretty much every round and he admitted that recently. 

On 1/30/2019 at 11:50 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I'm all for pace of play but from my understanding BAD is within the rules of play.  The tour seems to be pretty intent on this particular issue and last season put several players "on the clock" and I'm sure they'd do the same if BAD was violating the rule, but from what I've read he is not violating any rule.

As far as the 'gamesmanship' goes...I have no problem.  He does what it takes to win within the rules of play.  whatever that is.  If guys don't like it, too bad.  Some guys didn't like Larry Bird talking trash to them either....

Then according to what Brooks is saying in the above interview, if you are put on the clock you have already broken the rule.  Not my interpretation here, but a 3 time major champion saying this.  BAD is a perfect example of a player who will continue to ignore any pace of play rule, because he knows he can get away with playing slow, and will never receive a penalty for it.

Then BK should reach out to the commissioner, who can do something about it, rather than griping about it to the media or other players...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

The PGA Tour is governed by the Board of Directors led by the commissioner.  The Player Advisory Council "advises" the BoD on Tour related policy.  I use the term "advises" loosely because ultimately, the BoD answer to the player and without the players, there would be no BoD.  The players have all the leverage unlike other sports who have owners who own the franchises.

The players aren't going to police themselves on this issue.  If eliminating slow play were important to the majority of guys on Tour, they would have already had the PAC do something about it!  Robert Damron had a very poignant opinion about that very fact recently on Morning Drive.

Then BK should reach out to the commissioner, who can do something about it, rather than griping about it to the media or other players...

I think he just did
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, GSwag said:

Then according to what Brooks is saying in the above interview, if you are put on the clock you have already broken the rule.  Not my interpretation here, but a 3 time major champion saying this.  BAD is a perfect example of a player who will continue to ignore any pace of play rule, because he knows he can get away with playing slow, and will never receive a penalty for it.

Like many PGA touring pros, Brooks may not have a real detailed understanding of just exactly what the Rules say. 

"It is frustrating. There's a lot of slow players, a lot of them are kind of the very good players, too, which is kind of the problem," Koepka said. "I think it's weird how we have rules where we have to make sure it's dropping from knee height or the caddie can't be behind you and then they also have a rule where you have to hit it in 40 seconds, but that one's not enforced. You enforce some but you don't enforce the others."

The 2019 rules require that a player must not unreasonably delay play.  They  suggest but don't require that a player should hit his shot in 40 seconds or less.  The Rules say that the Committee has the authority to make additional pace of play requirements, and enforce them with penalties.  Its on the Committee, in this case the PGA Tour, to make and enforce those additional rules.  They've made the rules, which give a slow player plenty of leeway to avoid being penalized.  I can't say for sure, but I believe that the existing rules ARE enforced, they're just too lenient to do much good.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I like Brooks for doing this. Golf has lacked this kind of transparency for years.

Dopey aww shucks post round interviews and awkward surface-level pressers by Tiger et al. are useless and predictable. Here’s a 3 time Major Champion on some of the most difficult course setups injecting some much needed real-talk into the forum. The guy has the credibility and the chops to speak up and call it like it is.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 minute ago, bens197 said:

I like Brooks for doing this. Golf has lacked this kind of transparency for years.

Dopey aww shucks post round interviews and awkward surface-level pressers by Tiger et al. are useless and predictable. Here’s a 3 time Major Champion on some of the most difficult course setups injecting some much needed real-talk into the forum. The guy has the credibility and the chops to speak up and call it like it is.

It's easier to speak your mind when you know you are exempt through age 60 into the PGA Championship, as well as the next 10 years into the US Open, and the next 5 years into the Masters and the Open Championship.  Winning majors and a lot of exemptions allows him to speak his mind without fear or losing his playing privileges.

It's easier to speak your mind when you know you are exempt through age 60 into the PGA Championship, as well as the next 10 years into the US Open, and the next 5 years into the Masters and the Open Championship.  Winning majors and a lot of exemptions allows him to speak his mind without fear or losing his playing privileges.

Could be. Everyone has their one “thing” however. Most successful people don’t get to where they are by throwing rocks at every dog that barks at them.

BAD just might be that dog that’s got him frustrated.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

I hear 6 hr rounds are the norm at Pebble just now, just sayin'

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

It really is a simple fix and BK said it in his interview, it all boils down to ENFORCEMENT. Once that happens It will rectify itself. I am not positive but I think there has been 1 slow play penalty on PGA tour in 25 years. It baffles my mind that they know they have a problem and don't do anything about it. The USGA doesn't have particularly strong verbiage on pace of play but they do allow the committee to add penalties if necessary. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

It really is a simple fix and BK said it in his interview, it all boils down to ENFORCEMENT. Once that happens It will rectify itself. I am not positive but I think there has been 1 slow play penalty on PGA tour in 25 years. It baffles my mind that they know they have a problem and don't do anything about it. The USGA doesn't have particularly strong verbiage on pace of play but they do allow the committee to add penalties if necessary

And this is where Brooks simply doesn't understand the rules.  The 40-second time that he mentions is NOT a rule, its a suggestion. And the PGA Tour functions as the Committee, and they've developed their own slow play policy.  They just have set their system up so that it takes THREE separate things to incur a penalty.  First, the group has to fall behind the group in front by  a really significant distance.  Then they get told they're on the clock.  THEN if a player exceeds the allotted time, he gets a(nother) warning.  THEN if he gets a second bad time, he might get a penalty stroke.  And that whole procedure stops if they catch back up to the group in front.  

If the players, as a group, really care, they have the power to change PGA Tour policy, to reduce the loopholes.  So far they haven't done that.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

3 hours ago, GSwag said:

It depends on the reason for slow play, but based on BKs comment of the things people do for each shot the reason for slow play would be taking too long at your ball thus breaking the rule but not to the point the rule for not getting back on pace in the required time thus incurring the penalty for slow play.

BAD isn’t the only one who is slow, Spieth, Day, Na are some others

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

42 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

And this is where Brooks simply doesn't understand the rules.  The 40-second time that he mentions is NOT a rule, its a suggestion. And the PGA Tour functions as the Committee, and they've developed their own slow play policy.  They just have set their system up so that it takes THREE separate things to incur a penalty.  First, the group has to fall behind the group in front by  a really significant distance.  Then they get told they're on the clock.  THEN if a player exceeds the allotted time, he gets a(nother) warning.  THEN if he gets a second bad time, he might get a penalty stroke.  And that whole procedure stops if they catch back up to the group in front.  

If the players, as a group, really care, they have the power to change PGA Tour policy, to reduce the loopholes.  So far they haven't done that.

This is what I was getting at in my previous post.  Dave explains it better than I did!  Thanks Dave!

The PGA Tour hasn't issued a slow play penalty since 1995.  If slow play were a big issue to them, they would fix the loopholes.  They haven't and it's doubtful they will until forced to do so.  I'm not sure who will be in a position to force them other than themselves.  Jay Monahan doesn't strike me as a man that has much of a backbone.  But I could be wrong.    

• 2 weeks later...

It was tough for everyone on Sunday at the Genesis Open.  I can understand  taking extra time under those conditions.  Seems like most everyone was guilty.  However, penalizing only two players in 24 years is the fault of the Tour.  It will take one or two times for the Tour to penalize someone to get the attention of those slow players, but that's the only way to speed up the rounds.  

I'm sure that the Tour can find a player or two to penalize in a Thursday round where the penalty has an impact on slow players, but not something that the player won't be able to overcome to make the weekend.  Just do it!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

45 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Great article here. 

The slow players aren't the problem. The problem is the PGA Tour doing nothing about them 

https://www.golf.com/news/columns/2019/02/19/defending-jb-holmes-slow-play-genesis/

A huge part of the problem are the rules that the PGA Tour has developed.   If Brooks and Adam and Colt want to change things, they can start by getting themselves, and like minded players, elected to the Players Advisory Council.  If the Council wants to change the PGA Tour pace of play policy, it will get changed.  The problem, as I see it, is that they are unwilling to put a policy into effect that might result in themselves being assessed penalty strokes.  They have chosen to have a policy that makes it extremely difficult for a player to play slow enough and long enough to actually get penalty strokes.  I just don't see that happening.  In case you want to start an email campaign, the list of Council members is here:

https://www.pgatour.com/company/2019/02/07/james-hahn-kevin-kisner-player-advisory-council-co-chairmen-2019.html

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

A huge part of the problem are the rules that the PGA Tour has developed.   If Brooks and Adam and Colt want to change things, they can start by getting themselves, and like minded players, elected to the Players Advisory Council.  If the Council wants to change the PGA Tour pace of play policy, it will get changed.  The problem, as I see it, is that they are unwilling to put a policy into effect that might result in themselves being assessed penalty strokes.  They have chosen to have a policy that makes it extremely difficult for a player to play slow enough and long enough to actually get penalty strokes.  I just don't see that happening.  In case you want to start an email campaign, the list of Council members is here:

https://www.pgatour.com/company/2019/02/07/james-hahn-kevin-kisner-player-advisory-council-co-chairmen-2019.html

I understand the point you've made about the PAC (over and over again), but the Tour does not need the PAC's permission to properly enforce a rule that is already on the books. For that matter, the Tour doesn't need the PAC's permission to do much of anything - it's an advisory council. They advise and that's about it. The Tour has ultimate say. Sure, the PAC could help force the issue, but you'd think all the negative attention from fans, media, and individual players would be enough for them to recognize the problem and do something about it.

We're now two days removed from the Genesis and no one's discussing much about the horrible weather that effected the tournament. No one's really talking about how JT lost what was at one point a 6 shot lead on the final day (4 shots in the final round). And no one seems to care about how well J.B. Holmes was able to play in spite of declining conditions on Sunday. All anyone is really talking or writing about is slow play. You'd think that'd be enough attention for the Tour to act and yet they just don't seem to care.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

20 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I understand the point you've made about the PAC (over and over again), but the Tour does not need the PAC's permission to properly enforce a rule that is already on the books. For that matter, the Tour doesn't need the PAC's permission to do much of anything - it's an advisory council. They advise and that's about it. The Tour has ultimate say. Sure, the PAC could help force the issue, but you'd think all the negative attention from fans, media, and individual players would be enough for them to recognize the problem and do something about it.

We're now two days removed from the Genesis and no one's discussing much about the horrible weather that effected the tournament. No one's really talking about how JT lost what was at one point a 6 shot lead on the final day (4 shots in the final round). And no one seems to care about how well J.B. Holmes was able to play in spite of declining conditions on Sunday. All anyone is really talking or writing about is slow play. You'd think that'd be enough attention for the Tour to act and yet they just don't seem to care.

I would agree, and this continues to be a huge failure on the Tour's part. If you look at the 4 major sports, there are rule changes almost yearly, some minor, some major. The point being that those leagues change to adapt the product we are watching to something they believe we want to see. (and yes I am generalizing and understand that the leagues are different) The PGA Tour does not do this. They cater to the players. Granted the rule structure is different with the USGA being involved but there are plenty of things that the tour can do to make the product better. A true slow play policy being the top of the list. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 minute ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I would agree, and this continues to be a huge failure on the Tour's part. If you look at the 4 major sports, there are rule changes almost yearly, some minor, some major. The point being that those leagues change to adapt the product we are watching to something they believe we want to see. (and yes I am generalizing and understand that the leagues are different) The PGA Tour does not do this. They cater to the players. Granted the rule structure is different with the USGA being involved but there are plenty of things that the tour can do to make the product better. A true slow play policy being the top of the list. 

What IS the PGA Tour, besides an association of Players who play professional golf tournaments?  The PGA Tour is an organization that broke away from the PGA of America specifically to run tournaments for its members.  The PGA Tour is the players.  Yes, they hire directors, and a commissioner, and they hire officials, but the Tour is the players.  Yes, the Tour can improve both the slow play rules, and enforcement of the rules.  But their bosses, the players themselves, don't care, or resist those changes.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Keep quoting this, that's fine.  But as it is for me, I'm losing interest in televised golf, so much so that I am losing total interest in even playing the game, or keeping up with it.  Maybe I'm a nobody, who no one gives a fart about, or what I think or feel, but the only thing I can control is how I spend my time.  If these players lose enough fans, due to this sheer and utter bullsh!t, then that's on them.  I was raised on personal responsibility and owning my mistakes.  I was also raised with keeping others in mind over myself.  When I'm on the golf course the worst thing I think I can do is making someone behind me wait.  In tournament conditions it's borderline negative gamesmanship, causing your peers to lose their focus and add strokes to their scores because I am all consumed in my books and measuring air density or whatever.  It completely destroys the integrity of the game, as well as the spirit of it.  

Spirit, that's the word I was looking for all this time.  I've completely lost my spirit for the game of golf, not only because of 5 hour rounds locally, but because a collection of overpaid millionaire pros on the PGA have decided to be so selfish and greedy as to slow this game to a hault.

I'm out.

• 2 weeks later...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-