Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
GSwag

Koepka On Pace Of Play: “Guys are already so slow it’s kind of embarrassing."

The PGA Tour is governed by the Board of Directors led by the commissioner.  The Player Advisory Council "advises" the BoD on Tour related policy.  I use the term "advises" loosely because ultimately, the BoD answer to the player and without the players, there would be no BoD.  The players have all the leverage unlike other sports who have owners who own the franchises.

The players aren't going to police themselves on this issue.  If eliminating slow play were important to the majority of guys on Tour, they would have already had the PAC do something about it!  Robert Damron had a very poignant opinion about that very fact recently on Morning Drive.

• Like 3

Then BK should reach out to the commissioner, who can do something about it, rather than griping about it to the media or other players...

I think he just did
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GSwag said:

Then according to what Brooks is saying in the above interview, if you are put on the clock you have already broken the rule.  Not my interpretation here, but a 3 time major champion saying this.  BAD is a perfect example of a player who will continue to ignore any pace of play rule, because he knows he can get away with playing slow, and will never receive a penalty for it.

Like many PGA touring pros, Brooks may not have a real detailed understanding of just exactly what the Rules say. 

"It is frustrating. There's a lot of slow players, a lot of them are kind of the very good players, too, which is kind of the problem," Koepka said. "I think it's weird how we have rules where we have to make sure it's dropping from knee height or the caddie can't be behind you and then they also have a rule where you have to hit it in 40 seconds, but that one's not enforced. You enforce some but you don't enforce the others."

The 2019 rules require that a player must not unreasonably delay play.  They  suggest but don't require that a player should hit his shot in 40 seconds or less.  The Rules say that the Committee has the authority to make additional pace of play requirements, and enforce them with penalties.  Its on the Committee, in this case the PGA Tour, to make and enforce those additional rules.  They've made the rules, which give a slow player plenty of leeway to avoid being penalized.  I can't say for sure, but I believe that the existing rules ARE enforced, they're just too lenient to do much good.

Edited by DaveP043

I like Brooks for doing this. Golf has lacked this kind of transparency for years.

Dopey aww shucks post round interviews and awkward surface-level pressers by Tiger et al. are useless and predictable. Here’s a 3 time Major Champion on some of the most difficult course setups injecting some much needed real-talk into the forum. The guy has the credibility and the chops to speak up and call it like it is.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

1 minute ago, bens197 said:

I like Brooks for doing this. Golf has lacked this kind of transparency for years.

Dopey aww shucks post round interviews and awkward surface-level pressers by Tiger et al. are useless and predictable. Here’s a 3 time Major Champion on some of the most difficult course setups injecting some much needed real-talk into the forum. The guy has the credibility and the chops to speak up and call it like it is.

It's easier to speak your mind when you know you are exempt through age 60 into the PGA Championship, as well as the next 10 years into the US Open, and the next 5 years into the Masters and the Open Championship.  Winning majors and a lot of exemptions allows him to speak his mind without fear or losing his playing privileges.

• Like 1

It's easier to speak your mind when you know you are exempt through age 60 into the PGA Championship, as well as the next 10 years into the US Open, and the next 5 years into the Masters and the Open Championship.  Winning majors and a lot of exemptions allows him to speak his mind without fear or losing his playing privileges.

Could be. Everyone has their one “thing” however. Most successful people don’t get to where they are by throwing rocks at every dog that barks at them.

BAD just might be that dog that’s got him frustrated.
  • Like 1

It really is a simple fix and BK said it in his interview, it all boils down to ENFORCEMENT. Once that happens It will rectify itself. I am not positive but I think there has been 1 slow play penalty on PGA tour in 25 years. It baffles my mind that they know they have a problem and don't do anything about it. The USGA doesn't have particularly strong verbiage on pace of play but they do allow the committee to add penalties if necessary. 

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

It really is a simple fix and BK said it in his interview, it all boils down to ENFORCEMENT. Once that happens It will rectify itself. I am not positive but I think there has been 1 slow play penalty on PGA tour in 25 years. It baffles my mind that they know they have a problem and don't do anything about it. The USGA doesn't have particularly strong verbiage on pace of play but they do allow the committee to add penalties if necessary

And this is where Brooks simply doesn't understand the rules.  The 40-second time that he mentions is NOT a rule, its a suggestion. And the PGA Tour functions as the Committee, and they've developed their own slow play policy.  They just have set their system up so that it takes THREE separate things to incur a penalty.  First, the group has to fall behind the group in front by  a really significant distance.  Then they get told they're on the clock.  THEN if a player exceeds the allotted time, he gets a(nother) warning.  THEN if he gets a second bad time, he might get a penalty stroke.  And that whole procedure stops if they catch back up to the group in front.  

If the players, as a group, really care, they have the power to change PGA Tour policy, to reduce the loopholes.  So far they haven't done that.

Edited by DaveP043
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, GSwag said:

Then according to what Brooks is saying in the above interview, if you are put on the clock you have already broken the rule.  Not my interpretation here, but a 3 time major champion saying this.  BAD is a perfect example of a player who will continue to ignore any pace of play rule, because he knows he can get away with playing slow, and will never receive a penalty for it.

It depends on the reason for slow play, but based on BKs comment of the things people do for each shot the reason for slow play would be taking too long at your ball thus breaking the rule but not to the point the rule for not getting back on pace in the required time thus incurring the penalty for slow play.

BAD isn’t the only one who is slow, Spieth, Day, Na are some others

42 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

And this is where Brooks simply doesn't understand the rules.  The 40-second time that he mentions is NOT a rule, its a suggestion. And the PGA Tour functions as the Committee, and they've developed their own slow play policy.  They just have set their system up so that it takes THREE separate things to incur a penalty.  First, the group has to fall behind the group in front by  a really significant distance.  Then they get told they're on the clock.  THEN if a player exceeds the allotted time, he gets a(nother) warning.  THEN if he gets a second bad time, he might get a penalty stroke.  And that whole procedure stops if they catch back up to the group in front.  

If the players, as a group, really care, they have the power to change PGA Tour policy, to reduce the loopholes.  So far they haven't done that.

This is what I was getting at in my previous post.  Dave explains it better than I did!  Thanks Dave!

The PGA Tour hasn't issued a slow play penalty since 1995.  If slow play were a big issue to them, they would fix the loopholes.  They haven't and it's doubtful they will until forced to do so.  I'm not sure who will be in a position to force them other than themselves.  Jay Monahan doesn't strike me as a man that has much of a backbone.  But I could be wrong.    

• Like 1