Koepka On Pace Of Play: “Guys are already so slow it’s kind of embarrassing."

Our Sponsors

Walk faster between shots... it worked for Nicklaus.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2019/1/30/koepka-on-pace-of-play-guys-are-already-so-slow-its-kind-of-embarrassing Not only is Brooks right, but I think it's only a matter of time bef

How to fix Bryson's slow play in 1 easy step...   Pair him with Rory Sabbatini for every round until he is able to keep up on a regular basis.      

Koepka is quickly becoming one of my favorites.  I love his honest and straight forward commentary.  

I was watching 'the gun slinger' this morning live from Dubai on the European tour.

Man he was taking ages on wedge shots....a slow walk to the green to have a long look at the contours, then a slow meandering walk back to his ball 80 yds away to take the shot, pitched to 20 feet.....slow walk to ball, circled the putt twice..........this kind of behaviour doesn't help especially when amateurs copy it.

p.s he holed the putt and was leading🙄

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

23 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I was almost amused when Bryson was quoted as saying that its actually pretty impressive that they can prepare and hit a shot in only 40 seconds, even though he doesn't actually hit shots within 40 seconds.  I think they could make the slow-play policy more strict if they choose to, but the tour is owned by the players, and I doubt that enough players care enough to be able to develop and pass tougher rules.  

If the did somehow manage to tighten up the slow play policy, I bet most would adapt quite well, but we'd find at least a few players who simply can't play well at a faster pace.  They'd fade away, and someone would fill the vacancy, and we'd hardly miss the slow ones.

The tour isnt owned by the players.  They have to play within the rules that the USGA and R&A set, just like everyone else.  What are they all going to do, quit and go get real jobs?  As much as these guys may whine about how hard the life of a tour pro is (and it is very hard for many of them), it still beats working on the line in a factory or sitting in a cubicle every day.

8 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I was watching 'the gun slinger' this morning live from Dubai on the European tour.

Man he was taking ages on wedge shots....a slow walk to the green to have a long look at the contours, then a slow meandering walk back to his ball 80 yds away to take the shot, pitched to 20 feet.....slow walk to ball, circled the putt twice..........this kind of behaviour doesn't help especially when amateurs copy it.

p.s he holed the putt and was leading🙄

Thats where the problem lies: people see it on TV and they think, "well, if the pros do it, then I have to do it."

• Like 1

Whats in my Top-Flite Gamer 2019 cart bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Tommy Armour VCG 56*

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Perhaps I'm technically wrong about ownership of the PGA Tour.  But I've found that about half of the director positions for the PGA Tour are filled by players.  In addition, the 16-member Players Advisory Council, headed by chairman Jordan Spieth, has significant input.  Any changes to the slow-play policy on tour will only be accomplished with the consent of the players.  If Brooks wants to make things better, along with the other players who dislike the pace of play, they can try to get themselves on the PAC and actually get something done.  

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

wonder if Koepka considered pace of play when he did this ??? 
(Mr. Kettle, the Pot is asking if it truly is black...)

https://golf.swingbyswing.com/tour/koepka-gets-fans-to-move-boulder

StrokerAce
:tour-edge: EXS 220 HZRDUS Smoke
:cobra-small:  King F7 3w Fujikara 
:callaway-small:  Apex 20 Catalyst 6.0
:callaway-small:  Apex 23 Catalyst 6.0
--------------------------
:srixon-small: Z785 KBS CTaper lite
:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 54/58 
:ping-small: Sigma G Kinloch C 
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro rangefinder
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130 cart bag
Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

We almost made it through the first month of 2019 without a pace of play thread...or perhaps I was just lucky enough to miss seeing others?  😄

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

We almost made it through the first month of 2019 without a pace of play thread...or perhaps I was just lucky enough to miss seeing others?  😄

ironic thing is that it was a pace of play thread on the PGA tour rather than at your local course!

StrokerAce

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Perhaps I'm technically wrong about ownership of the PGA Tour.  But I've found that about half of the director positions for the PGA Tour are filled by players.  In addition, the 16-member Players Advisory Council, headed by chairman Jordan Spieth, has significant input.  Any changes to the slow-play policy on tour will only be accomplished with the consent of the players.  If Brooks wants to make things better, along with the other players who dislike the pace of play, they can try to get themselves on the PAC and actually get something done.  

That makes more sense.  I took it like you were saying that if players want to play slow, they just will and if they get penalties, they simply will stop showing up for tournaments.

Honestly, if I were a tour pro and I got grouped with BDC, Id subtley heckle him about playing slow.  Id make snide little comments like, "while we're young" or "any day now".  Then, if he and I got into a spat, Id make it clear to any reporter who wanted to ask me exactly what the problem was.

The tour could police itself and when his peers are all getting on him, maybe BDC would realize that he actually isnt entitled to take all day.

Edited by Zengolfer

Whats in my Top-Flite Gamer 2019 cart bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Tommy Armour VCG 56*

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

1 hour ago, Zengolfer said:

That makes more sense.  I took it like you were saying that if players want to play slow, they just will and if they get penalties, they simply will stop showing up for tournaments.

Honestly, if I were a tour pro and I got grouped with BDC, Id subtley heckle him about playing slow.  Id make snide little comments like, "while we're young" or "any day now".  Then, if he and I got into a spat, Id make it clear to any reporter who wanted to ask me exactly what the problem was.

The tour could police itself and when his peers are all getting on him, maybe BDC would realize that he actually isnt entitled to take all day.

Sorry if I didn't write that clearly enough.  What I mean is that the players essentially run the PGA Tour, and they determine to a large extent what the policy is regarding pace of play.   They need to have a pace of play policy so that the officials (that the PGA Tours hires) have a basis for enforcing these rules, the players as individuals don't want to be the "bad guy" in the moment during a round of golf.  But if the bulk of the players could agree to strengthen the rules, they could do it.

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 2/2/2019 at 9:17 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

ironic thing is that it was a pace of play thread on the PGA tour rather than at your local course!

Why is that ironic?

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Why is that ironic?

Typically the complaints are about playing long rounds and having to wait on each hole...

StrokerAce

1 minute ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Typically the complaints are about playing long rounds and having to wait on each hole...

So why did you make reference to my local course?  

Just now, fixyurdivot said:

So why did you make reference to my local course?  

Wasn't "your" in specific, just a general your.... poor choice of words. Sorry

StrokerAce

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Wasn't "your" in specific, just a general your.... poor choice of words. Sorry

OK, thanks.  Pace of play has not been a chronic problem on any of the courses I've been playing here in Yuma (or MT).  A couple of choke points at par 3's but it typically clears out on subsequent holes.  Most are just happy to be out enjoying the game and not making speed of play a key focus point.  What does slow things down the most is the traveling skins game.  This is a bit ironic in that most are better than average golfers - but once $$$ are the mix it can get slow.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

OK, thanks.  Pace of play has not been a chronic problem on any of the courses I've been playing here in Yuma (or MT).  A couple of choke points at par 3's but it typically clears out on subsequent holes.  Most are just happy to be out enjoying the game and not making speed of play a key focus point.  What does slow things down the most is the traveling skins game.  This is a bit ironic in that most are better than average golfers - but once $$$ are the mix it can get slow.  

I envy you!!

It's nearly impossible to play here before noon on the weekends... waiting on almost every shot.

StrokerAce

In our weekly scramble that starts after daylight savings time starts in March, I proposed to our committee that you reward the first team in with 3 extra points, the 2nd team in with 2 extra points, and the 3rd team in with 1 extra point.  We are on a stableford points system, so the more points you get, the better.

I also suggested that if two teams tie for the win that week, that the team that finished first gets an extra point to break the tie.

My point to all of this pace of play discussion on the PGA Tour is, if the Tour really wanted to do something about it, they easily could.  I think Brooks being so candid about it, and talking about it is a start, but you have to want to do something about it, and as has already been said here over and over again, the PGA Tour doesn't do anything about it, so here we stay until something changes.

But think about my idea above in relation to the PGA Tour.  Can you imagine the pace of play if you rewarded faster play with fewer strokes?  Man, those guys would finish 18 holes in 2 hours.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver, 3 Fairway
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Irons - 18° & 21°
  • :Hogan: Ft. Worth Hi Utility Iron - 24°
  • :callaway-small: Forged Razr X 6-A Wedge irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 54° & 58°
  • :ping-small: Sigma2 Tyne Putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:NX7 Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS
On 1/30/2019 at 11:50 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I'm all for pace of play but from my understanding BAD is within the rules of play.  The tour seems to be pretty intent on this particular issue and last season put several players "on the clock" and I'm sure they'd do the same if BAD was violating the rule, but from what I've read he is not violating any rule.

As far as the 'gamesmanship' goes...I have no problem.  He does what it takes to win within the rules of play.  whatever that is.  If guys don't like it, too bad.  Some guys didn't like Larry Bird talking trash to them either....

BAD gets put on the clock pretty much every round and he admitted that recently. 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

BAD gets put on the clock pretty much every round and he admitted that recently. 

On 1/30/2019 at 11:50 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I'm all for pace of play but from my understanding BAD is within the rules of play.  The tour seems to be pretty intent on this particular issue and last season put several players "on the clock" and I'm sure they'd do the same if BAD was violating the rule, but from what I've read he is not violating any rule.

As far as the 'gamesmanship' goes...I have no problem.  He does what it takes to win within the rules of play.  whatever that is.  If guys don't like it, too bad.  Some guys didn't like Larry Bird talking trash to them either....

Then according to what Brooks is saying in the above interview, if you are put on the clock you have already broken the rule.  Not my interpretation here, but a 3 time major champion saying this.  BAD is a perfect example of a player who will continue to ignore any pace of play rule, because he knows he can get away with playing slow, and will never receive a penalty for it.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver, 3 Fairway
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Irons - 18° & 21°
  • :Hogan: Ft. Worth Hi Utility Iron - 24°
  • :callaway-small: Forged Razr X 6-A Wedge irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 54° & 58°
  • :ping-small: Sigma2 Tyne Putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:NX7 Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Then BK should reach out to the commissioner, who can do something about it, rather than griping about it to the media or other players...

StrokerAce