GSwag

Koepka On Pace Of Play: “Guys are already so slow it’s kind of embarrassing."

On 2/19/2019 at 2:20 PM, DaveP043 said:

But their bosses, the players themselves, don't care, or resist those changes.

I think this speaks to the fact that the vast majority of pro's (and non pro's for that matter) don't see slow play as being that big an issue. 

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I think this speaks to the fact that the vast majority of pro's (and non pro's for that matter) don't see slow play as being that big an issue. 

I'm not sure that a majority are happy with the current pace of play. I think a big factor is that a majority don't want to be the one who gets a penalty.  Every player has a problem day, one where he spends time looking for balls, or needs a number of rulings, so even fast players can get far enough behind to get on the clock.  Once they're on the clock, another difficult situation could mean they really need to extend their normal routine, and extending that routine brings the danger of "bad times".  So when they start making rules, they try to make it lenient enough that they'll never get penalized.  This is all just my guess, I have no evidence for any of this.

It’s not like the Tour will all of a sudden start penalizing players, because they have allowed slow play to become the norm for years.  I think they will need at least a year promoting a change, making sure that all players are aware of what the expectations are for pace of play and how the change will be enforced.  I applaud Brooks Koepka for speaking up and getting the conversation started at the player level.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Golfislife1990

• By GolfSpy STUDque
      The New Year has arrived and it's time to turn our attention to the PGA Tour!  Get ready for the:
      2019 MYGOLFSPY FANTASY GOLF LEAGUE
      The MGS community lends itself to large fantasy leagues which boost the drama to nail-biting hair-pulling levels (just ask @blackngold_blood).  This will be a great opportunity to connect with fellow posters and chat about the PGA Tour all summer long.   @Berg Ryman and I will be your humble commissioners.  The format will change from last year and we're working with Fantrax to see if they can add a new option for the season/playoffs.  If that doesn't pan out, we have a plan B that we'll roll out.  Both options will be geared to maximize drama during the season and in the playoffs.
      In the meantime, it's time to start gathering players. So, who's in??
      Platform: Fantrax Buy-In: Free Draft: January 30, 2019 9:00PM EST (can be changed by popular demand) Draft Format: TBD pending league size Format: Head 2 Head - Details TBD Scoring: See Below League Size: As big as we can get while remaining even 1st Tournament: AT&T Pebble Beach - February 7, 2019 Playoffs: During FedEx Playoffs Prize:  😉   
      For returning players, the 2018 league has been renewed and all of your profiles carried over.  There's no action required from you on the Fantrax side, but please confirm your interest in this thread.  Until your name below says confirmed, you're not in the league:
      BjornsBoys Cam’s Gotta Big Putt - Confirmed Carolina Golfer 2 - 😢 GolfJunkie302 - Confirmed Jahren01 putt masters - Confirmed Low Country Hacker - Confirmed MGoBlue100 - Confirmed mpatrickriley - Confirmed Mudfish - Confirmed Rhyming Bergs - Confirmed pineapple squad - Confirmed poprocksnbirdies - Confirmed Shankster - Confirmed Stud Muffins - Confirmed tom mc - 😢 Undershooter30 - Confirmed Newly Added:
      GolfSpy Stroker GB13 bardle 02uwmadgrad TSauer cnosil blackngold_blood Apolloshowl Russtopherb Jbmullin DannyDips GeekingGolf Asef HQ Intern Kyle GolfSpy Dave 00sportsman Alanpe HardcoreLooper If you're new and would like to join for the first time, drop a comment in this thread then shoot me or Berg a PM with your email address.  We'll get an invite headed your way.

For simplicity, the point values were reduced by the highest common divisible (5).  Anything that used to be worth 5 points, is now worth 1; anything that was 10, is now 2 and so on.  The scaling and weight is exactly the same as before.  The only new category is Par for 1/2 point to keep course setup from blasting our players. 

Scoring Summary:
      Albatrosses: 4 Birdies: 2 Bogies: -1 Cuts Missed: -1 Cuts Made: 2 Double Bogies: -2 Eagles: 3 Holes In One: 4 Others: -3 Par: 1/2 Top 25: 5 Top 3: 5 Top 10: 5 Wins: 5
      In addition to expressing interest, please comment on any changes you'd like made to the scoring or format.  No promises that they'll be incorporated, but now is your chance to make recommendations.  Stay tuned for more details.  Good Luck!
    • By PING Apologist #9
      How about it Spies? Anyone going to be watching (after football of course...)? This is one of my favorite tournaments since it reminds me of our two trips to vacation on Oahu including just last year the week after this same event. Love Hawaii and dream daily of visiting there more in the future. Ahhhh, the sun, the surf, the drinks....sigh...
      I know we have a few spies who live there (@yungkory for one), and @SteddyGolf used to be stationed there also. Curious if anyone has ever gone to watch or even are planning to attend this year. If so, please share some pics, videos and anything related.
      Also, please share your picks and anything related to this tourney here. Me? I going with Bryson. He just looks to be in some sort of weird zone lately. Second for me is JT.
      MAHALO!
    • By downlowkey
      I'm no math whiz but that equation looks wonky and until roughly 3:00 PM EST, Sunday 8/26/18 the answer was actually "10".

But after grinding out a final round (-2) 69 at The Northern Trust, Bryson Dechambeau turned it up to "Eleven" and joined the following list of professional golfers that have won 3 or more PGA Tour events before their 25th birthday over the past 30 years: Phil, Tiger, A. Scott, Sergio, A.K., Rory, Spieth, JT, Hideki, P. Reed.

Of the 11 names currently occupying this list, only 3 have yet to claim a major title: A.K. - this mystery deserves further study; Hideki - it's only a matter of time; Dechambeau - the subject of this thread...

Alright, I've thrown enough historical numbers at you. Let's focus the rest of this discussion on the "Mad Scientist". Love him or hate him (I personally fall somewhere in the middle), this man is playing a different game than the rest of the tour; and quirky as it may be, the stats are getting harder to ignore.

FedEx Cup Rank: 1
      OWGR: 11 (how serendipitous)
      2018 Cuts - PGA Tour : 19/23 (technically adjusted for injury related WDs 21/23)
      Total Strokes Gained: 5th

B.A.D. has been making history since his college tenure (5th player to hold both NCAA Championship and U.S. Amateur in the same year - Nicklaus, Woods, Phil, R. Moore) and upon turning Pro in 2016, seems hell bent on elevating his game to equally rarefied professional ranks.

But how is he really getting it done? This question is the heart of the matter and what I find so intriguing. During interviews he exhibits a supreme (to the point of annoyance) confidence but just last month cameras captured the driving range meltdown reminiscent of a weekend hacker. The foundation of his game champions accuracy over length but coming down the stretch we have seen the swing science go awry with some shots that are absolutely off the map. It's now clear that the protractor wasn't his sole trump card.

So let's suss it out Spies...
    • By GSwag
      Everyone complains about pace of play, and it's a seemingly never ending conversation.  And in all my years (40+) of playing golf, I have yet to have someone say to me, "I sure do like playing golf in 5 or 6 hours; the slower the better."

Everyone I have ever talked to always says that they hate slow play.  Yet, once again, I found myself in the bowels of despair this weekend as I was playing in a "tournament" where both my Saturday and Sunday rounds were met with a 5 hour round, where we waited on the group in front of us on every hole and every shot.  In the defense of the group in front of us, they were waiting too, as was the group in front of them, etc, etc, etc.

I emailed the tournament director about this, and as kindly as I could put it, simply said that I doubt that I would return to play with this group ever again, simply because of pace of play.

I mean, pace of play is probably the most talked about subject in golf, and yet no one seems to ever be able to fix this "problem."

Now, I realize that pace of play could be a subjective term as well.  Because if you give me a cart and an open course in front of me, I am done as a single in 90 minutes tops.  I grew up playing as a threesome with my Dad and my brother, and we'd finish 18 holes in 2 1/2 hours.

But I'm not even suggesting those times as what anyone should realistically expect on a golf course.  But I know for a fact that the standard for pace of play on a fully loaded golf course at St. Andrews is 3:22.  See http://www.popeofslope.com/paceofplay/pace.html

Is your normal round and expectation for a foresome for 18 holes about 4 hours and 30 minutes?  Is it 4 hours?

I'll just end this by saying that I refuse to be the group in front of me's gallery for 18 holes.  If I have to wait on every shot, I'll quit the game first.
    • By GolfSub70
      Just wanted to share a ~1 hour interview with PGA Tour winner and Impact Zone Golf founder Bobby Clampett.  Interview covers his playing days, what he learned as a CBS announcer, then his comments on some current swings and his passion for instruction and the golf swing

Soundcloud link - https://t.co/BvosQ344cJ 
  • Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!