TESTERS WANTED! ×

Chinese Group ANTA to buy Wilson Golf Owner Amer Sports

JohnSmalls

https://mygolfspy.com/chinese-group-to-buy-wilson-golf-owner-amer-sports/

Chinese company ANTA sporting goods appears to have reached an accord to buy Amer Sports, aka, the company that owns Wilson Golf.  No changes have been made official as of yet.  Interested to see how this plays out.  What say you?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

it is interesting for sure, Amer sports is a Finish company that has owned Wilson Staff for years.  And it's stock was up considerably in 2018 over 2017 over 50%.   Could be an opportunity to sell while the price is right. 

As in many things, time will tell. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

10 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

it is interesting for sure, Amer sports is a Finish company that has owned Wilson Staff for years.  And it's stock was up considerably in 2018 over 2017 over 50%.   Could be an opportunity to sell while the price is right. 

As in many things, time will tell. 

The speculation based off of the buy offer accounted for a good portion of that jump.  But I couldn't agree more with you.  When the stars align, it seems best to "sell, sell, sell".

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

Let's be real about this sale. This seems a play for other things under the Wilson Sports umbrella other than golf. Basketball is booming in Asia, and with Naomi Osaka dominating women's tennis, there's a growing market there. Plus, the baseball brands  that Amer has for Japanese baseball and the skiing lines from Atomic for the upcoming 2022 Winter Games makes sense. I'm guessing Wilson Staff Golf stays pretty much untouched and they let them keep on keeping on. Might also cheapen manufacturing costs and increase margins since the home base will be in China and they probably own their own plants.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

7 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Release those blades first!

No worries, Alan.  The chinese have a pretty extensive history of good looking blades.

Gameday

Classic Bag

I was listening to a new podcast yesterday afternoon.  It will likely be the last time I listen to this particular podcast given the host and co-host were so incredibly lacking in basic golf knowledge.  The host and co-host were going on and on about how "Gary Woodland will have a major decline in performance this year playing inferior irons" (direct quote)!!!!!!!   They went on and on about how Wilson hadn't produced anything Tour worthy in 40 years since Jack Nicklaus won all those majors.  After all, how could Woodland compete on Tour with something off a shelf at WalMart.  I'm paraphrasing following the quotations but that's the overwhelming sentiment of what these two were saying.

First, Jack played MacGregor his entire career!  Second, Padraig Harrington won 3 majors with a nearly full bag of Staff clubs in 2007 and 2008.  Third, Staff equipment is equal to anything on the market today and can't be found at any WalMart.  If these kids don't know that, they don't deserve my attention! 

With that said, the Amer Sports line across the board fits nicely with what's going on across Asia at the moment.  It should be fine I would think.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Release those blades first!

On a related note, I had @GolfSpy Barbajo take a picture of a particular putter for you at the show  Hopefully he'll post it for you somewhere! 

I was listening to a new podcast yesterday afternoon.  It will likely be the last time I listen to this particular podcast given the host and co-host were so incredibly lacking in basic golf knowledge.  The host and co-host were going on and on about how "Gary Woodland will have a major decline in performance this year playing inferior irons" (direct quote)!!!!!!!   They went on and on about how Wilson hadn't produced anything Tour worthy in 40 years since Jack Nicklaus won all those majors.  After all, how could Woodland compete on Tour with something off a shelf at WalMart. 

What on earth podcast is this???

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

I was listening to a new podcast yesterday afternoon.  It will likely be the last time I listen to this particular podcast given the host and co-host were so incredibly lacking in basic golf knowledge.  The host and co-host were going on and on about how "Gary Woodland will have a major decline in performance this year playing inferior irons" (direct quote)!!!!!!!   They went on and on about how Wilson hadn't produced anything Tour worthy in 40 years since Jack Nicklaus won all those majors.  After all, how could Woodland compete on Tour with something off a shelf at WalMart.  I'm paraphrasing following the quotations but that's the overwhelming sentiment of what these two were saying.

First, Jack played MacGregor his entire career!  Second, Padraig Harrington won 3 majors with a nearly full bag of Staff clubs in 2007 and 2008.  Third, Staff equipment is equal to anything on the market today and can't be found at any WalMart.  If these kids don't know that, they don't deserve my attention! 

With that said, the Amer Sports line across the board fits nicely with what's going on across Asia at the moment.  It should be fine I would think.

52 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

My guess is golfunfiltered

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

My guess is golfunfiltered

😂 😂

57 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

It's called "Who's Your Caddie?"  They have only released 2 episodes.  I made it through about 7 minutes of the first one and gave up.  If you consider yourself enough of a golf fan to create a podcast and don't know Nicklaus played MacGregor, you don't deserve my time.

On a related note, I had [mention=2876]GolfSpy Barbajo[/mention] take a picture of a particular putter for you at the show  Hopefully he'll post it for you somewhere! 

Can’t wait. My game will be rather dull when I get to Maryland, but I’ll show you my most current golf skills.

Might only be there for 12-14 months... but we should be able to sneak a round or 2 in.

Just now, Shankster said:

Can’t wait. My game will be rather dull when I get to Maryland, but I’ll show you my most current golf skills.

Might only be there for 12-14 months... but we should be able to sneak a round or 2 in.

Most definitely!

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Nope, gave up on them long ago!  Honestly, didn't realize Fonseca was still spouting his nonsense! 

Even tweeting it on a regular basis too on all kinds of things 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Thats interesting.  I wouldnt jump to a negative conclusion about it.  I mean, Honma got bought out by a Chinese firm and look how well they are doing.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

13 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Even tweeting it on a regular basis too on all kinds of things 

Even for what he puts out there, I didn't think it was him who said that about Wilson. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

18 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Even for what he puts out there, I didn't think it was him who said that about Wilson. 

I'm not a fan of Fonseca or GU.  Much too "Johnny Knoxville/Steve-O" for me!  But my post above wasn't refering to Fonseca or the Golf Unfiltered guys.  It was something called "Who's Your Caddy" and a kid named Matt Ostdiek .  

If I had to guess I'd guess the sale will mean next to nothing to Wilson  Staff, other than maybe reestablishing the brand in Asia. The whole of Amer sports goes wayyyyyy beyond golf, but the entire portfolio makes ANTA a pretty powerful juggernaut, particularly in outdoor sports such as cycling, hiking, mountaineering and skiing - areas where Amer excels. ANTA has factories in China, but none that I could find that made golf equipment, so I don't think there will be any changes there. 

Interesting things about ANTA - when it went public in 2007 one of the biggest investor was the then-owner of the Houston Rockets, and since then it has steadily become a presence in the NBA. And having Chip Wilson involved should be entertaining - he made a crap ton of money selling yoga pants as the founder of Lululemon. Google him sometime - you will laugh .

But as for how all this affects Wilson Staff? My guess is it will matter neither a jot nor a tittle.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

On 1/30/2019 at 2:14 PM, sixcat said:

They really did not know Jack ( pun intended) if they even think he played Wilson stuff---- That would be enough to make any Macgregor man's blood pressure get so high as to blow a head gasket---- Now excuse me while I double my dose of daily blood pressure meds

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived