Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

50 by 50

MmmmmmBuddy

Consider coming over this way if you're up to it. Be happy to show ya around. Looking forward to reading about your journey in any case and welcome back!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

3 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Consider coming over this way if you're up to it. Be happy to show ya around. Looking forward to reading about your journey in any case and welcome back!

I'd love to, but I'm afraid that with the season starting around here, and having used most of my vacation already, my travel plans for the foreseeable future are quite limited.  I'll just have to slog through another wet Oregon spring and summer......

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

1 minute ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

I'd love to, but I'm afraid that with the season starting around here, and having used most of my vacation already, my travel plans for the foreseeable future are quite limited.  I'll just have to slog through another wet Oregon spring and summer......

Understood. If things ease up and the opportunity arises, my offer stands. Cheers!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy Dave said:

Love this, except that it reminds me that I'll be 50 in days, not months...

You better get busy...

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

First of all - great to hear from you!

Secondly why not a Florida trip - imagine what you could knock out in a week here. Disney - 4 courses, Grand Cypress - 3, Falcon’s Fire in the afternoon, World Woods 2 and fly home with 10 great courses in 5 days.

Shorter trip how about fly in do TPC Tampa in the afternoon - stay an Innisbrook, knock off two there the next day, stay by Streamsong, hit two the next day and a red Eye home!

The possibilities here are endless.

Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

First of all - great to hear from you!

Secondly why not a Florida trip - imagine what you could knock out in a week here. Disney - 4 courses, Grand Cypress - 3, Falcon’s Fire in the afternoon, World Woods 2 and fly home with 10 great courses in 5 days.

Shorter trip how about fly in do TPC Tampa in the afternoon - stay an Innisbrook, knock off two there the next day, stay by Streamsong, hit two the next day and a red Eye home!

The possibilities here are endless.

Best of luck

I love this idea. I might have to get in slightly better playing shape. I’m generally pretty wrecked after 2 days in a row. I played 4 days straight in November, and my back still hurts...

I love this idea. I might have to get in slightly better playing shape. I’m generally pretty wrecked after 2 days in a row. I played 4 days straight in November, and my back still hurts...

Mine feels it after 18 yesterday but it’s really from bringing my clubs to 4 for the shot gun start - I loved walking the 18 - I’m going to walk 9 at least every time I play this year - so far I’m up on that pledge. :)

I’m 62 - you can do it buddy!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Great start to 50, Nic!!  

I'll be reading about your accomplishments and hope to see you at the PNW get-together in July.  If you want to play Wine Valley on the way... let me know.  Chris Isaacson, the pro the last couple of years at Emerald Valley has moved back home and is the pro there.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great start to 50, Nic!!  
I'll be reading about your accomplishments and hope to see you at the PNW get-together in July.  If you want to play Wine Valley on the way... let me know.  Chris Isaacson, the pro the last couple of years at Emerald Valley has moved back home and is the pro there.

I miss having Chris around. He is a great Pro.
Wine Valley is on my list of places to attempt to play. If it makes the rotation, I will definitely let you know.

On 1/30/2019 at 3:29 PM, MmmmmmBuddy said:

So, its official.  I'm turning old this year. My daughter graduates high school and heads off to college. We just had our 25th wedding anniversary, and I turn 50 in 10 months.

I figured that in order to remind myself that life is for living, I would try to make this year about playing 50 different courses before I turn 50 years old.

For those of you who do not know me, I live in Oregon, work in the golf industry, and I haven't played 50 rounds in a year for over 20 years. 

I will try my best to chronicle my journey to 50 in this space.  I love the community here at MGS. I have been a loyal reader and contributor since day one. My post count is down the past 2 years. I attribute this to much less time looking at a computer, and more time working on my game. I will list the course, city, tees I played, score and any notes/reflections about the facility. 

• Course#1 - Tetherow GC, Bend Oregon. Sage Tees - 42: Only got to play the front 9 here. Green complexes were nutty. Very large, very fast and VERY undulating. Fair from the tee, but super difficult putting.
  • Course #2 - Talamore, Southern Pines NC, Blue Tees - 78: Nice layout, very hilly. Course was wet from rain and recent hurricane, so there was no roll on tee shots.  Greens were good.  Would play again
  • Course #3 - Pinehurst #4, Pinehurst NC, Blue Tees - 82: Conditions were wet, cold and windy. Didn't detract from the round. Awesome layout. Very difficult approach shots. Felt pretty good with 82.
  • Course #4 - Pinehurst #2, Pinehurst NC, Blue Tees - 85: Tough putting for someone not used to the bermuda greens. I missed everything. Just a fantastic course. I would love to play again when I was fresher.
  • Course #5 - The Cradle, Pinehurst NC, standard tees - I played 27 holes on this 9 hole par 3. It was the most fun I have had on a golf course in years! 10/10 would travel to Pinehurst to play the Cradle all day.
  • Course #6 - Arrowood GC, Oceanside CA, Blue Tees - 76: Very hilly layout. Decent conditions. Greens were difficult to read. Some of the tee shots were undefined. Staff was inattentive. Range and practice green were acceptable.
  • Course #7 - Eagle Falls GC, Indio CA,  Eagle Tees - 76: Very well maintained.Good layout, could be very difficult if it was windy. Would play again.
  • Course #8 - Pacific Dunes, Bandon Oregon, Green Tees - 74: My favorite course. Views are amazing. Bunkers are incredible difficult. Avoid avoid avoid. Greens are firm and subtle.  I love this place.

MMMMMM Love this, You go get 'em.. I will follow all the way to the end.. 

On 1/30/2019 at 3:51 PM, GolfSpy Dave said:

Love this, except that it reminds me that I'll be 50 in days, not months...

@MmmmmmBuddy, @GolfSpy Dave I turned 50 in Oct. Last Summer I played the best golf I ever have. Life has never been better Enjoy it there is still plenty to go.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Immediate follow on this post.  Best of luck, and if you find yourself in the mid-Atlantic, let us know.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I've got news for some of you guys limenting turning 50. That's not old!!! (unless you are comparing yourself to being 23) The good news is that you just might start playing some of the best golf of your life. I'll be 64 next week and at this point I've been playing some of my best the last few years. I get ribbed that the older I get the better I play.  Unfortunately I see so many guys going the other way. Perhaps I'm just lucky. Certainly your health and physical condition determines your ability to play well. I'm expecting to break par this season. Maybe more than once? It's not a goal but just something I think will naturally happen. We shall see.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 2 months later...

I haven't had much of a chance to play lately.  The weather has been nuts out here.. Rain, Snow, More rain..  I'm ready to move.  I was able to squeeze a few in, with more planned in the coming weeks.  

Stay tuned!

Course #9 - Meadow Lakes GC, Prineville Oregon. White Tees. - 77   Fun Course.  Lots of water. Not very long, but the wind and the putting surfaces can make for a long day.  My Men's club plays a 3 day Ryder Cup style event in Central Oregon every year, and this year, the snow really limited the options we had for courses.  Meadow Lakes is quite fun, and should be on every play list when visiting Central Oregon.

Course #10 - Crooked River Ranch, Crooked River Oregon. Mixed tees. - Half of this course was snow bound, and we had to play a mixture of the front and back twice to get 18 in.  I have played here in the past, and always had a great time.  If you want a chance at a career low round, play at Crooked River.  The greens are very true and not too fast. The fairways are fair, and there is more than one reachable par 4 (like 3 -6 depending on how far you hit it).  Fun Fun Fun.  

Course #11 - Pine Ridge GC - Springfield Oregon - Blue Tees - 75.  This is my course.  Very sporty and fun track. we can suffer from conditioning issues from time to time, but overall, the golf is always fun.  When the greens heal this spring, I expect to shoot some low scores out here.

Course #12 - Diamond Woods GC - Monroe Oregon. Blue Tees - 72.  Hilly course. Takes a little local knowledge to get it around out there. Very scenic.  Off of the beaten path, but completely worth the trip.

5 hours ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

I haven't had much of a chance to play lately.  The weather has been nuts out here.. Rain, Snow, More rain..  I'm ready to move.  I was able to squeeze a few in, with more planned in the coming weeks.  

Stay tuned!

Course #9 - Meadow Lakes GC, Prineville Oregon. White Tees. - 77   Fun Course.  Lots of water. Not very long, but the wind and the putting surfaces can make for a long day.  My Men's club plays a 3 day Ryder Cup style event in Central Oregon every year, and this year, the snow really limited the options we had for courses.  Meadow Lakes is quite fun, and should be on every play list when visiting Central Oregon.

Course #10 - Crooked River Ranch, Crooked River Oregon. Mixed tees. - Half of this course was snow bound, and we had to play a mixture of the front and back twice to get 18 in.  I have played here in the past, and always had a great time.  If you want a chance at a career low round, play at Crooked River.  The greens are very true and not too fast. The fairways are fair, and there is more than one reachable par 4 (like 3 -6 depending on how far you hit it).  Fun Fun Fun.  

Course #11 - Pine Ridge GC - Springfield Oregon - Blue Tees - 75.  This is my course.  Very sporty and fun track. we can suffer from conditioning issues from time to time, but overall, the golf is always fun.  When the greens heal this spring, I expect to shoot some low scores out here.

Course #12 - Diamond Woods GC - Monroe Oregon. Blue Tees - 72.  Hilly course. Takes a little local knowledge to get it around out there. Very scenic.  Off of the beaten path, but completely worth the trip.

I've played them all except your course.  Best of luck Nic!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 months later...

Course #13 -Tokatee Golf Club, Blue River Oregon. Blue Tees - 81. I love this place. If you come to Oregon, put Tokatee on your must play list. The course is always in great condition, and the layout is fun. The greens out there got me this time.  I will get my revenge...

Course #14 - Fiddlers Green GC, Eugene Oregon. 18 hole par 3. - 56. I worked out here for 15 years, and probably played 8 rounds. This course is short with tiny greens. It is ALWAYS windy out there.  If you are in Eugene, go to Fidds for the store, but run around the golf course.  

Course #15 Oakway GC, Eugene Oregon. 18 hole Par 61 - 63. Located in the center of Eugene, Oakway shares the same land as Eugene CC, a top 100 course. It is literally across the street. Unfortunately, they do not have the same turf budget. Oakway can be a fun distraction and a good way to kill a few hours. The Tuesday mens league is legendary. 200+ players every Tuesday.

Course #16 - Mallard Creek GC. Lebanon Oregon, Blue Tees, 79. Excellent mix of long and short holes. nestled in the valley foothills, Mallard Creek is an outstanding value. The conditions could be better, but there are just not enough players out there to justify higher greens fees.

Course #17 - Ocean Dunes Golf Links, Florence Oregon. White Tees - 73. Narrow and short. Bring your accurate clubs to this course, or a few dozen balls.  Fun layout, but can be extremely punishing if you choose the wrong club from the tee or the wind is up. Worth a play if you are in the area.

Course #18 - Florence Golf Links (formerly known as Sandpines) Florence Oregon. Black Tees - 77. This is a big course. Huge fairways and green complexes. Quite a change from Ocean Dunes. The Black tees are 6794 and is rated at 73.6/128. Not terribly long, but difficult when the wind blows. Currently Managed by OB Sports, this course has been though several ownership groups in the past. I would play this place as long as the wind is calm.

1 hour ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Course #17 - Ocean Dunes Golf Links, Florence Oregon. White Tees - 73. Narrow and short. Bring your accurate clubs to this course, or a few dozen balls.  Fun layout, but can be extremely punishing if you choose the wrong club from the tee or the wind is up. Worth a play if you are in the area.

Course #18 - Florence Golf Links (formerly known as Sandpines) Florence Oregon. Black Tees - 77. This is a big course. Huge fairways and green complexes. Quite a change from Ocean Dunes. The Black tees are 6794 and is rated at 73.6/128. Not terribly long, but difficult when the wind blows. Currently Managed by OB Sports, this course has been though several ownership groups in the past. I would play this place as long as the wind is calm.

Are you playing any courses up in my area?  If you do and want some company, give me a shout.  BTW, Wildhorse just bought Pendleton CC.

I was playing good golf in my 50's (not at your level, but as an 8 hdcp).   If you're down in Medford area and want to play RVCC, give me a hollar.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

35 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Are you playing any courses up in my area?  If you do and want some company, give me a shout.  BTW, Wildhorse just bought Pendleton CC.

Very possible.

Might be near the end of the season. My daughter starts college in August at Willamette University in Salem, so that is absorbing some of my free time. However I should free up in September or early October.  

Wine Valley  maybe??

4 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I was playing good golf in my 50's (not at your level, but as an 8 hdcp).   If you're down in Medford area and want to play RVCC, give me a hollar.

Thanks CarlH.  I used to live on the 8th fairway of RVCC in the early 2000's  I got my start in the golf business at Bear Creek GC in 1995, then moved out to Oak Knoll in Ashland in 1996.  I would love to meet up and play.  Next time we head that direction, I will PM you!

5 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Very possible.

Might be near the end of the season. My daughter starts college in August at Willamette University in Salem, so that is absorbing some of my free time. However I should free up in September or early October.  

Wine Valley  maybe??

Let me know.  Pick a windless day!!!!    😃

Course #19 - Emerald Valley Golf Club, Creswell Oregon. Green Tees - 74. This is a club that regularly hosts the local US Open Qualifier as well as other section events.  The University also practices here from time to time.  Greens are hard and fast. Flat, tree lined layout. Pick the correct set of tees, or you will be in for a long day.  I made a stupid double on 18 to shoot 74 yesterday. Just got out of position from the tee and never recovered.  Great course that is worth a play if you are in the greater Eugene/Springfield area.

2 hours ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Course #19 - Emerald Valley Golf Club, Creswell Oregon. Green Tees - 74. This is a club that regularly hosts the local US Open Qualifier as well as other section events.  The University also practices here from time to time.  Greens are hard and fast. Flat, tree lined layout. Pick the correct set of tees, or you will be in for a long day.  I made a stupid double on 18 to shoot 74 yesterday. Just got out of position from the tee and never recovered.  Great course that is worth a play if you are in the greater Eugene/Springfield area.

Nice course!  My wife and I played it a couple of years ago when we went to see our local pro Chris Isaacson who moved there.  Last year he moved back here and is now the pro at Wine Valley.  Came back with a Duck sticker on his window!!  LOL  Wine Valley and Emerald Valley are managed by the same company.