Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

MCA OT Graphite Iron shaft.

So a question I asked myself this year was ‘is 2019 a year of graphite shafts’? 
The tech has evolved so massively that I stopped trusting the ‘club purists’. 

When I was fitted for my first set my fitter said ‘graphite is for old men and ladies’. I was fitted with a DG S300 and that was it. Next set the same story but the shaft changed to a PX LZ. And then again KSB C-Taper Lite 110. 

As I’m quite often at a place with trackman I hit some Accra ICWT i105, and it was surprisingly pleasant. Then the i95 and my flight was higher, the dispersion tighter so I thought there’s something to it.
Being the massive tinkerer and doubter that I am, and not having anywhere to go with my iron heads, I did a fck ton of research and decided to try the MCA OT shafts in my irons. Or the accas... Or Paderson... As i couldn’t decide myself I decided to take the most scientific approach I could think of.

Get a set of heads, get all the shafts and compare the results.
The plan is following:
New shafts, same MOI as my gamers, same grips.
Have a full on gapping session and trackman numbers when I get them.
Play 30 rounds with them tracking all stats with Arccos.
Have another trackman session to see if numbers have changed.
Reshaft to another shaft that suits me, and do it all over again.

So my heads and shafts went to my builder today ( Eclipse Golf UK if anyone is curious) and shall be with me by Saturday (together with some exciting driver shafts, notably the the Diamana DF and the new Tensei AV) and we will begin! 
I will be updating this thread as I go along followed by a full on review with the numbers and tables side by side. 

Hopefully you’re as excited about this journey as I am! And if you want to see something specific - feel free to ask 🙂

Wow, just wow. 90 rounds for testing? That is some serious commitment. 

I've thought hard about switching to graphite shafts in my irons, and will be going to club champion later this spring to test them out. But you sir are either brilliant or crazy. Either way, I'm curious what will work best for you. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

When did the fitter say that? It was true back in the 80’s. When I was fit at the Tour Performance Center at Sawgrass about 6 years ago the guy who fit me told me that he expected to see graphite shafts in close to 30 percent of the irons on tour in the next decade.

Looks to me as if his prediction will fall short but you certainly see them. You can pretty much do with graphite what you can do with steel. What’s changed is that you can now go very light with steel.

Good luck with the search for iron shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 2/4/2019 at 5:30 AM, Thin2win said:

Wow, just wow. 90 rounds for testing? That is some serious commitment. 

I've thought hard about switching to graphite shafts in my irons, and will be going to club champion later this spring to test them out. But you sir are either brilliant or crazy. Either way, I'm curious what will work best for you. 

Definatelly took a few rounds to get used to the new shafts. The first thing you notice is the vibration dampening. Just wow. Try the OTi series, feels and looks the bomb so far.

• 1 year later...
On 1/30/2019 at 6:26 PM, puttingpirate said:

So a question I asked myself this year was ‘is 2019 a year of graphite shafts’? 
The tech has evolved so massively that I stopped trusting the ‘club purists’. 

When I was fitted for my first set my fitter said ‘graphite is for old men and ladies’. I was fitted with a DG S300 and that was it. Next set the same story but the shaft changed to a PX LZ. And then again KSB C-Taper Lite 110. 

As I’m quite often at a place with trackman I hit some Accra ICWT i105, and it was surprisingly pleasant. Then the i95 and my flight was higher, the dispersion tighter so I thought there’s something to it.
Being the massive tinkerer and doubter that I am, and not having anywhere to go with my iron heads, I did a fck ton of research and decided to try the MCA OT shafts in my irons. Or the accas... Or Paderson... As i couldn’t decide myself I decided to take the most scientific approach I could think of.

Get a set of heads, get all the shafts and compare the results.
The plan is following:
New shafts, same MOI as my gamers, same grips.
Have a full on gapping session and trackman numbers when I get them.
Play 30 rounds with them tracking all stats with Arccos.
Have another trackman session to see if numbers have changed.
Reshaft to another shaft that suits me, and do it all over again.

So my heads and shafts went to my builder today ( Eclipse Golf UK if anyone is curious) and shall be with me by Saturday (together with some exciting driver shafts, notably the the Diamana DF and the new Tensei AV) and we will begin! 
I will be updating this thread as I go along followed by a full on review with the numbers and tables side by side. 

Hopefully you’re as excited about this journey as I am! And if you want to see something specific - feel free to ask 🙂

Can you give us your results with the Accras?