TESTERS WANTED! ×

Taylormade Spider X

PAgolfer2017

Taylormade releasing the Spider X putter.

Spider X Putters

SpiderX_2x.jpg

Saw Rory gaming one. Not too far off with the spider mini, but I go back and forth on the white alignment with the stripe on the top. I do like the blue look though.

Feel free to share thoughts!

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Rory didn't do TM any favors with his putting. I actually like the look of the regular spider better. I'd take a Red spider with white sight line any day. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I've never gamed Taylormade anything and I'm not sure I've ever even tested their putters, but I will say I like the shaping of the Spider X. What they've done to slim it down is much more appealing to me than previous iterations. What's not appealing though are the colors. I don't care for their alignment system either.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

4 hours ago, GB13 said:

Rory didn't do TM any favors with his putting. I actually like the look of the regular spider better. I'd take a Red spider with white sight line any day. 

I used to like the look of the Spider but it just doesn't suit my eye like it used to for some reason.

4 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I've never gamed Taylormade anything and I'm not sure I've ever even tested their putters, but I will say I like the shaping of the Spider X. What they've done to slim it down is much more appealing to me than previous iterations. What's not appealing though are the colors. I don't care for their alignment system either.

I liked the Spider Mini's. My issue is the reports of the paint chipping, but I love the compact look of the mini more than the original spider shape.

I really enjoy my Spider Tour, and like TR1PTIK said, the way they've slimmed it down makes it much more appealing. Not a fan of the alignment aid though, almost too much going on. Mine has no alignment, but I'd be happy with a single gloss black dot like the MLA putters have.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I tried the Spider X at a demo day a few weeks ago and I can say the feel is noticeably different from the standard Spider. The rep said its significantly more face weighted making it super smooth for a straight back and through putting style. If it wasn't $350 I would have bought one already.

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

7 hours ago, RedHacker48 said:

I tried the Spider X at a demo day a few weeks ago and I can say the feel is noticeably different from the standard Spider. The rep said its significantly more face weighted making it super smooth for a straight back and through putting style. If it wasn't $350 I would have bought one already.

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yea...The price is definitely a little more than I want to spend. Especially since I"m also pondering a Scotty (I have putter buying problems...). Always looking for a deal though so maybe one will turn up...haha

2 hours ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

Yea...The price is definitely a little more than I want to spend. Especially since I"m also pondering a Scotty (I have putter buying problems...). Always looking for a deal though so maybe one will turn up...haha

I'm sitting here LOL'ing, thinking of you walking into a "Putter's Anonymous" addiction meeting (something like AA) and saying to the entire group, "Hi my name is PAgolfer2017, and I have putter buying problems." and then the entire group saying to you, "Hi PAgolfer2017."

With regards to the topic at hand, my Dad gave me a regular white Spider about 2 or 3 years ago, and I just recently put it in the bag.  It's got a bunch of paint chipped off of it, and it's not going to win any style points or looks good points, but I seem to putt ok with it.  But like I said, I got it for free.  Spending $350 on a putter that I'll still miss putts with is insane to me, but to each his own.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

On 2/1/2019 at 8:57 PM, GSwag said:

I'm sitting here LOL'ing, thinking of you walking into a "Putter's Anonymous" addiction meeting (something like AA) and saying to the entire group, "Hi my name is PAgolfer2017, and I have putter buying problems." and then the entire group saying to you, "Hi PAgolfer2017."

With regards to the topic at hand, my Dad gave me a regular white Spider about 2 or 3 years ago, and I just recently put it in the bag.  It's got a bunch of paint chipped off of it, and it's not going to win any style points or looks good points, but I seem to putt ok with it.  But like I said, I got it for free.  Spending $350 on a putter that I'll still miss putts with is insane to me, but to each his own.

If they had those types of meetings I'd probably go to them!

• 2 months later...

Is and was a fan of the Spider (Have had many being the putter ***** I am) - Actually hit a few at Golftown with the new configuration, and on TV did not like the the big white sight line, but the thin sight line does this new design any favours...

So, when hitting it at GT, I actually really liked the new Spider, and surprisingly the fat white sight line, my biggest issue was the colours - Really don't like the 'bronze' or the 'navy blue' to be honest.

Knowing the propensity for black and red these days, I think TM wasn't really thinking through the colour scheme properly. If they launch a red one, and a black one with the new 'X' configuration they will likely get more uptake in my opinion.

Cheers,

- Ian

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Is and was a fan of the Spider (Have had many being the putter ***** I am) - Actually hit a few at Golftown with the new configuration, and on TV did not like the the big white sight line, but the thin sight line does this new design any favours...
So, when hitting it at GT, I actually really liked the new Spider, and surprisingly the fat white sight line, my biggest issue was the colours - Really don't like the 'bronze' or the 'navy blue' to be honest.
Knowing the propensity for black and red these days, I think TM wasn't really thinking through the colour scheme properly. If they launch a red one, and a black one with the new 'X' configuration they will likely get more uptake in my opinion.
Cheers,
 - Ian

I like the blue and fat white sight line, but it took seeing it in person too. Looks much better than online.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• 2 months later...

Just rolled my Spider X a bunch and I had to start posting on this thread.

Absolutely loving this putter.  So balance, feels great, and the alignment  (I have Navy/White) makes it hard to miss inside 6 feet.  I thought it was just going to be a side piece, but the Spider X has earned a spot in my bag for the foreseeable future.  The Evnroll isn't going anywhere, but right now there is enough room in this guy's heart for two great putters.

I have an earlier Spider but didnt like the insert on the X, horses for courses I think.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Just rolled my Spider X a bunch and I had to start posting on this thread.

Absolutely loving this putter.  So balance, feels great, and the alignment  (I have Navy/White) makes it hard to miss inside 6 feet.  I thought it was just going to be a side piece, but the Spider X has earned a spot in my bag for the foreseeable future.  The Evnroll isn't going anywhere, but right now there is enough room in this guy's heart for two great putters.

The two things I like most about it, were the two things I disliked about the Spider Tour Black I had a year or two ago. It sits square when I rest it on the ground (the Spider Black and a lot of other mallets look open to me), and the true path or whatever the big white alignment is called just seems automatic for lining up. Trying to find a used 33" navy blue with the slant neck so I can test it out, but I might just use the credit I have and YOLO it.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

30 minutes ago, yungkory said:

The two things I like most about it, were the two things I disliked about the Spider Tour Black I had a year or two ago. It sits square when I rest it on the ground (the Spider Black and a lot of other mallets look open to me), and the true path or whatever the big white alignment is called just seems automatic for lining up. Trying to find a used 33" navy blue with the slant neck so I can test it out, but I might just use the credit I have and YOLO it.

Love mine so much I already regripped it. Superstroke Tour 2.0 with 25g counter core 

Welp....Late night online shopping strikes again....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Anyone grab one of the Royal Portrush Open Champtionship Spider X headcovers? Look pretty sweet.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS @ 10* (Tensei AV White 65 Stiff)

Titleist TSi2 4 wood @16.5* (Tensei AV Blue RAW 65 Stiff)

Titleist TSi2 5 wood @19.5* (Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff)

Titleist U-505 4 Iron

Srixon ZX5 5-AW (Nippon Modus 105 Stiff)

Callaway MD5 Tour Grey W-Grind 54* & C-Grind 58*  (DG S200)

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock Putter (Odyssey Armlock Steel 40")

Titleist ProV1x

JMX XS Ultralite Grips

Man this cover is so good. Only thing that could make it better would be a magnetic closure 

IMG_20190714_203216.thumb.jpg.27e8a260d87ad06302a486cbb2e6c310.jpg
IMG_20190714_203234.thumb.jpg.49375af64deeebd3fa05dfba263f0bbd.jpg

Looks great but oof, no magnet makes me sad.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

"I feel like I am watching TV"

"You must never let that putter go"

"I am going to steal that putter from you"

"This is just getting silly"

These were some of the comments my playing partners made to me today.  I had 26 putts, with 10 one-putts.  

I feel like as long as I read the putt correctly, it goes in.  Just so confident lining this putter up and getting the ball started on line with the correct speed.

2 minutes ago, jlukes said:

"I feel like I am watching TV"

"You must never let that putter go"

"I am going to steal that putter from you"

"This is just getting silly"

These were some of the comments my playing partners made to me today.  I had 26 putts, with 10 one-putts.  

I feel like as long as I read the putt correctly, it goes in.  Just so confident lining this putter up and getting the ball started on line with the correct speed.

Haha, yesterday while we were playing my buddy had like a 15' birdie look. I said roll that ****** in! His reply was "I don't have spider magic" I offered to let him try the spider x and he said, "no I don't want to want one."

I hear you though, when I read the putt correctly it just seems automatic.

• 2 weeks later...

I need one of these putters. I was putting around with it at Golf Galaxy and wow, was I making everything. Literally made 3 20 footers in a row in front of multiple people. Had to stop after that, but I am definitely going to be picking one of these up in the off season. Loving that navy blue and the sight line is just amazing.

WITB 2019

Driver: :taylormade-small:Taylormade M2 8.5 w/ Xstiff Aldila RIP Beta shaft

2 Iron: :taylormade-small:Talormade P790 UDI 17 degree w/ Hazardus Xstiff driver shaft

4-PW: :taylormade-small:Taylormade PSI iron w/ KBS C-taper stiff iron shafts

52 degree: :cleveland-small:Cleveland RTX 3

56 degree: :callaway-small:Callaway Mac Daddy 4

60 degree-::taylormade-small:Taylormade milled grind

Putter: :cameron-small:Scotty Cameron Dual Balance X5

Ball::titelist-small:ProV1x

• 2 months later...

Decided to dive in on the 'Chalk' as well - Customized with 8g weights and SS Traxion Pistol GT1.0...

(Think there have been suggestions the stock weights are 6g, believe they are actually only 2g as an aside).

TM SPIDER TOUR X CHALK PUTTER 1.jpg

TM SPIDER TOUR X CHALK PUTTER 2.jpg

TM SPIDER TOUR X CHALK PUTTER 3.jpg

TM SPIDER TOUR X CHALK PUTTER 4.jpg

TM SPIDER TOUR X CHALK PUTTER 5.jpg

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

• 1 month later...

Got a MySpiderX to finally suit my eye.

MySpiderX.jpg

DRIVER: PXG Proto 0811 X - Graphite Design Tour AD GP7x +1/2"

3W: Taylormade SIM Rocket - Graphite Design Tour AD GP6s

HYBRID: PXG 0317X 17* - PX HC Hzrdus Black 6.5 (shelved)

IRONS: PXG Gen 3 0311T 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1" | PXG Gen 2 0311P 3-4 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

WEDGES: PXG Forged 54, PXG Sugar Daddy 58 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

PUTTER: Taylormade MySpider X - 36.00" 3* Loft 71* Lie

4 hours ago, LakeCowboy said:

Got a MySpiderX to finally suit my eye.

MySpiderX.jpg

RICKIE IS A FORUM MEMBER NOW!

Jokes aside, nice putter dude.