TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driver comparison with 3 shots v's current driver

perseveringgolfer

I went to American Golf today and they are running a week promotion/competition/draw to hit 3 shots with your current driver then 3 shots with the Cobra F9 Driver, Callaway Epic Flash Driver, TaylorMade M5 Driver, Wilson D7 Driver.

My first two with my own Titleist 910D3 were fantastic, in my opinion, but trackman didnt register them 🙄 so 2 retakes and results were;

Titleist 910 D3 avg 220 carry, 234 total

Cobra F9 avg 230 carry, 244 total

Callaway Epic Flash 232 carry, 247 total

TaylorMade M5 211 carry, 225 total (hit 2 off the bottom of the club)

Wilson D7 229 carry, 242 total

Callaway and Cobra 'felt' the best, all sounded muted compared to my Titleist 910.

Shafts were all 'S' and probably slightly longer than my own.

Overall, wasn't excited about any of them. Maybe a better comparison is with the new Titleist Ts2

p.s The pro there told me the Wilson Cortex was recalled as non conforming! seems a waste of a tv competition and big payout to one designer.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Probably not enough swings to super accurate information.    First I've heard of the Wilson Cortex thing...didn't they have a similar problem w/ the first Driver v Driver winner?

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

25 minutes ago, JudgeSmails said:

Probably not enough swings to super accurate information.    First I've heard of the Wilson Cortex thing...didn't they have a similar problem w/ the first Driver v Driver winner?

I'm guessing the pro was thinking about last year's fiasco. 

1 hour ago, JudgeSmails said:

yes agreed, however it's a competition and only 3 shots per club allowed.

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

I'm guessing the pro was thinking about last year's fiasco. 

Must have been as I can't see anything about a recall. Interestingly enough they weren't stocking the Cortex.

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

I think the three swing is enough to capture the basics you need for an evaluation. What I see is that you are losing distance with the 910 compared to the other drivers. Yes it may be shaft length to some degree but there is still improvement. Based on that, if you were considering a driver purchase you would potentially see improvement with the right setup.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

A few observations and thanks for starting a very interesting thread:

1.  While you hit only three shots with each club three of the four were significantly longer than your driver - that is bordering on a meaningful result as you hit 12 drives with those other drivers.

2.  The question is what that meaning might be.  Were you fit for your current driver?  The shafts in the test driver were longer and had perhaps a stiffer shaft than what you game.  It could be that you need a little longer shaft - yes this happens despite the number of guys who cut down their driver shaft willy nilly - its best to get fit prior to monkeying with shaft length IMO.

3.  Many club pros know less about equipment than we do.  I've learned that over the course of the last few years - they may well be trained and quite good a club repair, they are skilled marketers, have polished people skills, some are good teachers but they rarely are equipment junkies like we are.  In fact 2 of the pros at my club just use stock stiff shafts in their drivers because that's what titleist sends them each cycle.  They play well enough with that and don't play enough to care too much about learning more about it because the membership really doesn't care either.  Any more they will tell people who have equipment questions to ask me - seriously.

Let us know if you decide to pursue this further.  I was rather stunned by the blog video and the gain with the Ping 410 over the Ping LST.  I don't know what to make of that - I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the meaning of my SS increases through SuperSpeed - at what point will I need to be refit?  Hopefully MGS selects my for some sort of club testing this year that will require a trip to the fitter.  I don't feel like dropping $100 yet at this point but I would if I were selected to do a test on some irons - wink, wink, nod, nod. 🙂

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 hours ago, revkev said:

I was rather stunned by the blog video and the gain with the Ping 410 over the Ping LST.  I don't know what to make of that - I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the meaning of my SS increases through SuperSpeed - at what point will I need to be refit?  Hopefully MGS selects my for some sort of club testing this year that will require a trip to the fitter.  I don't feel like dropping $100 yet at this point but I would if I were selected to do a test on some irons - wink, wink, nod, nod. 🙂

Agree. Those numbers were quite the surprising result between two adjacent model releases. Into the wind too! 😉

Be interesting to see what happens in the real testing.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

What really amazes me is that a number of pros that work in the industry have less knowledge than a number of us on the forum.  Am I wrong in thinking that those that work in the industry should have a better working knowledge of equipment than us equipment junkies?  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

What really amazes me is that a number of pros that work in the industry have less knowledge than a number of us on the forum.  Am I wrong in thinking that those that work in the industry should have a better working knowledge of equipment than us equipment junkies?  
All depends. Many so called "pros" simply regurgitate the information they are given.

Think about it... You don't really have to know how to build clubs or how shafts work to hit them well or understand the mechanics of the golf swing.

How many of the guys building and fitting tour players actually play on tour?

Sent from my SM-G935V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

Yep. Interesting results above.

I recently tried a Ping G400? at a local store on their LM. I wasn't warmed up at all. In fact I had been sitting around while a buddy was testing some shafts in his driver. When it was my turn I was a dud. I wasn't ready to put a good swing on it really and therefore my results we poor - disappointing. I wish I could just walk off the course at the turn one day and straight into a fitting. At that point I'm into my game and swinging with my full potential. But that's a dream for me as my course doesn't offer fittings. Additionally, I'm not going to ever buy another driver without playing the club on the course with a game ball. Indoor driver fitting has never worked out for me.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

17 hours ago, ga_pike said:

How many of the guys building and fitting tour players actually play on tour?

My point exactly.  Either none, or close to none.  The guys playing on tour earn higher living playing on tour than making clubs, hence the reason they are touring pros.  The guys making clubs are the pros that I am pointing to.  They make their living making clubs, therefore should be experts in their field.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

This is a fun contest and a good marketing play by this golf store. It obviously makes the participants think about if they need to upgrade their equipment.

As to the results, they seem to hint that with a proper fitting, you could experience some driver gains. Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

My point exactly.  Either none, or close to none.  The guys playing on tour earn higher living playing on tour than making clubs, hence the reason they are touring pros.  The guys making clubs are the pros that I am pointing to.  They make their living making clubs, therefore should be experts in their field.

Club pros don’t make their money building clubs - they make their money on merchandising and marketing - club repair is always in the hands of the lowest assistant on the staff - they’re normally good at that but throwing a grip on is far different from being up to speed on EVNRoll putters or Hogan Irons.

Club pros, good ones, know what their membership wants them to know about.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

p.s The pro there told me the Wilson Cortex was recalled as non conforming! seems a waste of a tv competition and big payout to one designer.

Are you sure? See USGA conforming list belie(updated every Monday)

file-27030EB2-2AB0-4240-95D2-E9506023F0BD-4027-000005494B519659.jpg

#CobraCONNECT using the new F8’s from Cobra

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

13 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Are you sure? See USGA conforming list belie(updated every Monday)

file-27030EB2-2AB0-4240-95D2-E9506023F0BD-4027-000005494B519659.jpg

#CobraCONNECT using the new F8’s from Cobra

I'm sure that's what he said! however as someone pointed out previously they were probably getting mixed up with the fiasco the year before.

Archived