Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
OhioGolfer619

Best irons for a high handicapper?

So I am a pretty high handicapper, i play to about a 15. However, I like the look of more traditional irons. I would say my irons aren't really the issue with my game and I hit them relatively consistent and far (7 iron goes 175-180) but I play game improvement irons with strong lofts. Any suggestions for irons that aren't super blocky but still offer a little forgiveness?

• Like 1

If ever there was a year to get new irons for game improvement, this is your year.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I play to a similar handicap and am the same way. I currently game the Apex CF16 irons from a few years back. Not a thick top line, and for me look great at address. One thing that did surprise met his year is the p760's. I hit the 790's and liked them, but found the 760's forgiving enough for me, and I still got similar distances to the CF16's. Lots of good options for out there! 

• Like 2

As a 15. There is a wide selection open to you.  All the ones mentioned above and add in all the following. 

585/785 or combo

AP3

HotcMetal

JPX Forged or Hot Metal Pro

PING I210 

Best option is to go get fit by a quality clubfitters. 

• Like 3

On 1/31/2019 at 10:27 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

As a 15. There is a wide selection open to you.  All the ones mentioned above and add in all the following. 

585/785 or combo

AP3

HotcMetal

JPX Forged or Hot Metal Pro

PING I210 

Best option is to go get fit by a quality clubfitters. 

You forgot one....

Bridgestone JGR HF2

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/1/2019 at 3:30 AM, PAgolfer2017 said:

I play to a similar handicap and am the same way. I currently game the Apex CF16 irons from a few years back. Not a thick top line, and for me look great at address. One thing that did surprise met his year is the p760's. I hit the 790's and liked them, but found the 760's forgiving enough for me, and I still got similar distances to the CF16's. Lots of good options for out there! 

I also play the CF16 and have a similar HCP, not too chunky and stupidly forgiving. I reviewed the i500 and they were unable to kick the CF16 out of the bag.
I want to try the Srixon 785 and JPX 919F this year.

On 1/31/2019 at 6:44 PM, OhioGolfer619 said:

So I am a pretty high handicapper, i play to about a 15. However, I like the look of more traditional irons. I would say my irons aren't really the issue with my game and I hit them relatively consistent and far (7 iron goes 175-180) but I play game improvement irons with strong lofts. Any suggestions for irons that aren't super blocky but still offer a little forgiveness?

Not sure where in Ohio you live but there are some great fitters here (Windmill is one)- money and time well spent.  Also I would't consider 15 a very high handicap 😁.just sayin. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Not sure where in Ohio you live but there are some great fitters here (Windmill is one)- money and time well spent.  Also I would't consider 15 a very high handicap 😁.just sayin. 

We also have a ok pretty good one here on the site th as far based in Ohio @McGolf

• Like 2