TESTERS WANTED! ×

Looking for New Bag

Titan107

I have spent the last few cold days researching golf bags and would like some Spys' thoughts.  I currently use a Titleist cart bag. I like the bag but wish it had legs for range and putting greens for practice sessions.  I am considering the Sun Mountain 5.5 LS or the Ping Hoofer.  It is important that 1)  the bag fits a Clicgear 3.5+ well 2) has less than 14 way divider 3) ample storage.  I split time between pushing my Clicgear (70 rounds walked and 40 rounds riding) last year so I don't carry.  Does anybody have any experience on how either of the bag I mentioned (SM or Ping) fit on a Clicgear? Have any others you feel are better options than these?  Thanks for any input and comments. 

I have this exact bag. The 3.5 LS.

https://shop.sunmountain.com/3-5-ls-bag-detail?related_id=22725

Bought it last november and it's been a winner for me. Mine is the red, wht, blue model with the American flag patch. I'm sorry I can't add information regarding your ClicGear cart. I have used mine on an older model SM Speed cart and it's fine. I'd suggest you visit a local retailer and take your cart possible and see if they have the bag you like and if it sits on your cart properly. Titleist has some new bags I recently saw that looked nice also.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I am pretty much exactly like you in that when I walk I have a clicgear and sometimes I ride. I have a Sun Mountain 3.5 LS and it is an absolutely fantastic bag.  However, like most stand bags, it isn't the greatest on push carts.  I ended up buying a separate bag (Sun Mountain Sync) to actually use when I am playing  (push cart and riding cart) and I use the Sun Mountain 3.5LS for when I am practicing or going to the range.

Ping hoofer/hoofer lite, titleist 4 or 5 way, taylormade flextech and sun mountain 3.5

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Check out the new Titleist Hybrid 5.   Has legs that retract fully and allow the bag to stand flat in a cart.  Seems to have a fair amount of compartments.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I have spent the last few cold days researching golf bags and would like some Spys' thoughts.  I currently use a Titleist cart bag. I like the bag but wish it had legs for range and putting greens for practice sessions.  I am considering the Sun Mountain 5.5 LS or the Ping Hoofer.  It is important that 1)  the bag fits a Clicgear 3.5+ well 2) has less than 14 way divider 3) ample storage.  I split time between pushing my Clicgear (70 rounds walked and 40 rounds riding) last year so I don't carry.  Does anybody have any experience on how either of the bag I mentioned (SM or Ping) fit on a Clicgear? Have any others you feel are better options than these?  Thanks for any input and comments. 

I had a terrible experience with my Sun Mountain XCR (cross cart range) staying put in a riding cart because of the kickstand/lever that activates the legs. I won’t buy another stand/hybrid bag again that doesn’t have an integrated kick-stand, or built into the base. It also had a tendency to slide down onto the front wheel of my Clicgear. It’s not the model you’re talking about, but I still wouldn’t buy a bag that has an exterior kickstand.

Big Max bags look great! Take a look at those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Thanks for the responses.  I appreciate the input.  I'm going to continue looking and try to find one that works with my Clicgear. I'll continue to look for any responses and would love to hear from someone that has had experience with the SM 5.5 LS on the Clicgear--good or bad.  Thanks again.

Another one to look at might be the Sun Mountain C130S, which might fit better on the Clicgear but also is a stand bag. It is a 14 way divider. Others have  mentioned some solid bags. I have a Clicgear 4.5 and a SM 3.5. It fits ok but isn't great. There is an additional attachment that you can get for Clicgears so certain bags fit better, but I don't have any experience using it.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Thanks for the comments Spys.  I have thought about the SM C130S as I think that would be exactly the bag I would like but the 14 way top is just a deal breaker for me.  It seems as though I'm in the minority now but I just can't make myself like them.  I had a SM C-130 a couple of years ago and loved the bag but just hated the 14 dividers.  I spent too much time looking for the empty spot and trying to get the club in it.

After looking a the responses, I have looked at the Titleist Hybrid 5 (on line)  and really like the looks of it.  So I'm now looking at it and the Ping Hoofer really hard.  Anybody have any experience with either of these on a Clicgear 3.5+? 

If I were you, I would check out the Cobra bags......the cart bag i got last year is def my fav.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

file-A11A9ED7-6693-461F-99F1-B3365B49F7F7-15629-00000A9F101ED166.jpg

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Thanks for the comments.  The Sun Mountain C-130s would be mine if it didn't have the 14 dividers.  Those things frustrate me trying to find the slot.  I had a C-130 cart bag that was practically brand new as I used it a few times and just gave up on it.  I gave it to the local youth golf program.  I would welcome any comments if anyone has any experience with the Titleist Hybrid 5.  I have almost pulled the trigger a few times on it but hesitate as I don't know anyone that has one.  I may just pull the trigger on it and get the accessory for the clicgear cart if it doesn't work.  Any experience with the Titleist Hybrid 5 anybody?   

I like my Wilson Staff Nexus carry bag.  It's not perfect but it's easy to carry to the range, fits my SM pushcart, and sits nicely on a riding cart. It sits on the ground similar to the Ping Hoofer.  I've had it for a couple of years; original Nexus, but the Nexus 3 looks good too.  I'd buy again.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Great read through this topic. I think I need (okay want) a new bag this year and am looking into the hybrid stand/cart bag sector. I generally use a push cart, but like having the option to carry if I want to. And the convenience of a stand bag at the range can not be beat. I was looking at the sun mountain 4.5 14 but I will have to look at the titleist too as was suggested. Anybody else have any good hybrid bags they would recommend for a push cart?

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I have an OGIO Silencer, it's a nice bag, but sometimes struggle to get the club pushed all the way down into the slot. It's lite, but I mostly ride or walk on occasion, I don't have a push cart...yet

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

Just found the solution to all of your problems.
IMG_3033.JPG

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

On 2/10/2019 at 7:17 PM, Titan107 said:

Thanks for the comments.  The Sun Mountain C-130s would be mine if it didn't have the 14 dividers.  Those things frustrate me trying to find the slot.  I had a C-130 cart bag that was practically brand new as I used it a few times and just gave up on it.  I gave it to the local youth golf program.  I would welcome any comments if anyone has any experience with the Titleist Hybrid 5.  I have almost pulled the trigger a few times on it but hesitate as I don't know anyone that has one.  I may just pull the trigger on it and get the accessory for the clicgear cart if it doesn't work.  Any experience with the Titleist Hybrid 5 anybody?   

Sun Mountain makes a 5 way C-130.

On 4/13/2019 at 12:02 AM, M. Parsons said:

Just found the solution to all of your problems.
IMG_3033.JPG

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but to be honest I think that thing is completely hideous. Reading the MGS stand bag test it sounds like the sun mountain LS 4.5 and the Titleist hybrid are both good options. Anybody have any experience with those?

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I myself own a ping hoofer 14 light and walk my course a lot.  I either carry or push with my sun mountain push cart.  I found that my hoofer light is a little small for the push cart but is great for carrying.  My dad uses the normal hoofer 14 and that is a little heavier but fits perfectly in our sun mountains push carts.  I’m not sure how much different the sun mountain is than the clic gear in size but I know that the hoofer 14 is a great bag if you want it for pushing or putting in a cart but it does has 14 club slots. My hoofer light only has 4 or 5 big holes to hold all of your clubs.

• 1 month later...

Guys I know it's been a while since I posted my question about a golf bag on my clicgear 3.5+ cart.  However, I thought I would update y'all on my decision.  I ended up purchasing the 2019 Ping Hoofer.  I have played about 30 rounds with it primarily using my pushcart but I have rode in a cart a few times.  I can say I am very happy with it for both.  I really like being able to carry my Ping bag to the range or putting green for practice and not worrying about it falling over (like I had happen a few times with my Titleist mini-staff).  I have had a few times where putting a club back into the bag gets a little difficult because I have a 2.0 Superstroke putter grip, but nothing terrible.  All in all, I am very happy with my Ping Hoofer.  It's a good looking bag that is functional and well thought out.

14 hours ago, Titan107 said:

Guys I know it's been a while since I posted my question about a golf bag on my clicgear 3.5+ cart.  However, I thought I would update y'all on my decision.  I ended up purchasing the 2019 Ping Hoofer.  I have played about 30 rounds with it primarily using my pushcart but I have rode in a cart a few times.  I can say I am very happy with it for both.  I really like being able to carry my Ping bag to the range or putting green for practice and not worrying about it falling over (like I had happen a few times with my Titleist mini-staff).  I have had a few times where putting a club back into the bag gets a little difficult because I have a 2.0 Superstroke putter grip, but nothing terrible.  All in all, I am very happy with my Ping Hoofer.  It's a good looking bag that is functional and well thought out.

PING Apologist "APPROVED"! There's a reason those have been MGS Most-Wanted for the past couple of years. Glad it's working out for you! Thanks for the update!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Maybe this was mentioned befor. Sunmountain has a cart bag with legs on it for use at the range.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

• 5 weeks later...

I use the Sun Mountain LS 14-Way https://shop.sunmountain.com/4-5-ls-14-way-bag-detail

I use Mid Sized CP2 Wrap grips with extra wraps in my wedges.  While I don't like the extra weight that the 14-Way brings, I find that 14 way bags are just easier to deal with and preserve my grips better.  When I use other bag setups, the clubs all get stuck on each other and are a ****** to get in and out and wear out the grips from rubbing.  I did the 14-way (a little disappointedly) but haven't looked back.  It's been way better.  If you don't play larger grips, probably no worries...

Titleist TSi3 9° - Tensei CK White 60X

Ping G410 LST 14.5° - Accra TZ-6 75 M5

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° & 24° - Project X Rifle 6.5

Cobra MB 5-PW KBS C-Taper X (black)

Vokey SM9 - KBS Tour V 125 (50,54,60)

Costa Mesa, CA

"My kids stole my golf game..."

I have an older Sunmountain Four5 carry bag with the 14 way divider.  Using oversized grips with 2-4 extra wraps and no problems getting them in or out of their slots.  Also easy to find clubs as I know where each one is.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

• 3 weeks later...

Just upgraded to the latest Cobra Ultrlight from one a couple of years old... Surprisingly miss the 15th club slot! But little looser on the JumboMax gripps, so thats of benefit. 

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

• 5 months later...

Frankly, with full length dividers and pockets accessible from the front, I can't imagine using anything but a cart bag,

Everything is so neat.

You can find the club that you're choosing immediately.

If you left a club out on the course, you can see that immediately.

Your grips don't get mangled.

Even if I walked carrying my own bag without a trolley, I'd have still used a cart bag.

Even a huge staff bag doesn't hold things so neatly.

What would be the arguments against the modern cart bag?

bag format comparison.png