Sign in to follow this  
Middler

Your Quickest 18 Hole Round (par 70+ course)?

No point really, just asking for fun. No qualifiers needed, playing alone or with others, walking or carts. I played a decent round last year and was astonished when I looked at the time on my iPhone pulling up to my car. How about you?

Home course so I know where hazards are and what club I’ll probably hit beforehand, playing alone, beautiful Fall weekday, with a motorized cart, decent score, no lost balls, no one held me up the entire round. I wasn’t trying to play fast, just moving along normal as far as I knew at the time - and I never look at the time while I’m playing. Finished in 2’15” teeing off #1 until I pulled up to my car in the parking lot and got my iPhone out. Under 3 hours is probably my norm playing alone with a cart.

I probably play foursomes too often and I'm used to slower play. In the leagues I play in 4 hours is about as good as it gets, and 4-1/2 or even 5 hours can happen. 4 hours seems OK, 5 hours does not...

Edited by Middler

When alone, while walking, my average pace is 2 hours and 30 minutes. A normal round is closer to 4 hours because of other inconsiderate people, but I play fast. 

• Like 1

Brother in law and I, first ones out and each with our own cart.  We both played really well so didn't spend time looking for lost balls or anything.  Finished just under 2 hrs for 18.

Quick side story.  Our club champ is a 2 day event Sat and Sun, 18 holes each day.  After the round on Sat we grab as many guys as we can get and play an 18 hole scramble as one big group.  This year we had 16 guys and we play all together as a 16-some in 4 man teams and scramble.  We played 18 holes in 4hrs as a 16-some.

• Like 2

No way I can remember although I do know that I played a 9 hole round, walking on a par 35 3200 yard 9 in 54 minutes once. It was late fall (post leaves), after a funeral and I was the only one on the course.

I don’t recall what I shot.

But.....

Like many things in golf personal pace of play is well, personal. I always thought that I was fast until I played with a club pro late in the day a few times. I could barely keep up - it was not comfortable for me at all (and we were riding).

So I would maintain that in the same way that many guys have over estimate how far they hit it - they think they play fast when they don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Mine is also 2:15 as tracked by Arccos but I did it walking. With the chilly weather lately, my warm-up is usually jogging it out to my first few tee shots so I already mix in a bit of running anyway. This round was different because I had a deadline to meet up with SWMBO and she called me on 13 to say she was running ahead of schedule 😲 

The rest of the round turned into speed golf. Bogies on 15, 16, and 17 spoiled my chance at breaking 80 but coming in on the nose was still a decent result. 

Oh by the way, this is one thing I love about playing this time of year. Wide open course. I almost caught the group that was making the turn when I paid for greens. 🏃🏻‍♂️💨

Give me a cart and an open course by myself and I can often be done in 90 minutes or less.

Walking I can turn 9 in less than an hour.

I have several buddies who I play with regularly and if you give me and one of them an open course, we are easily done in 2 1/2 hours on a regular basis.

Look, this isn't abnormal for me, or rushing, or trying to break a speed record.  This is how I normally play golf.  When I played in a normal Saturday morning group the last year or so with 1 or 2 guys with me, we'd tee off by 7:00 am and be done by 9:30 am or 10:00 am at the latest.  And while I am a 6 handicap and rarely lose a ball, the guys I played with were happy to break 90.  But we were still done in under 3 hours at worst.

Yesterday I played in a scramble as a threesome, with a threesome in front of us.  We were held up on virtually every shot by the group in front of us and finished in about 4 hours.  But like I told the two guys I was paired with when they started complaining about the pace of play, I explained that I was used to slow play in scrambles, and that I've just learned to grin and bear it because you aren't going anywhere.  But when you factor in a regular or normal pace of play of most golfers, I play really fast by that comparison.

One of my best friends who I play with on a regular basis has a cart with a lightning strike on it, and his club has nicknamed him "FLASH" because he jacked up his golf cart to go about 35 MPH.  The dude loves to fly around the golf course.  We don't necessarily compete to see who plays faster, but he's the only one who can really keep up with me.  

Again, I'm not trying to set speed records, or go out of my way to play fast.  It's just how my Dad taught me to play the game - hit it and go.  With all that said, I am constantly looking behind me to make sure I am not holding anyone up.  One of the worst things for me on a golf course is being the one holding someone up.  Maybe that's part of the reason I play so fast on a normal basis.

Another way of looking at this is that every minute in life is precious.  You can't save time, and store it up to be used later.  I admittedly have no patience for much of anything, and maybe by doing everything faster I can get more things done in my schedule.  So I play faster golf, and drive faster (when it's safe), eat faster, and pretty much do everything faster.  To me people that are late, or slow, are just wasting time while they could be doing something else.

Sorry, my drivel just oozes out sometimes.

Last summer I was the first or second out 2 weeks in a row on a 6500 yd course. Lots of hills with a cart shot an 80 and 82 and finished both rounds in just over 2hrs..

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

In a cart as a single on a weekend afternoon at my club I can easily play in under two hours. During my brief retirement last year I was playing 54 a day during the week and was averaging around and hour and forty five minutes a round.

Walking in a competition we did 2hrs 12 mins for a 2 ball - we hardly missed a fairway and missed greens were a chip and 1 or 2 putts, done quickly.

Not rushing and surprised ourselves with our time as we were just going at our normal walking speed.

There was no-one in front which helps a lot.

Alone early morning with a cart have done one hour and 20 minutes. Regularly play in same circumstances at a relaxed hour-45.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My buddy and I played our home course in 2 hrs. 20 minutes. We had the course to ourselves, and neither one of us likes slow play. 😉

I definitely remember. Me and a buddy found my course deserted one morning a few years ago and played 18 in 2.5 hours. No rush. We just played and moved along. Kind of nice I recall.

• Like 3

In my league this year for a 9 hole round, my playing partner and I finished in 45 minutes. We were not following anyone so it made it very easy to move.

For 18 holes, my father-in-law and I finished in 2.5hrs. He played from the senior tees and I played from the whites.

I agree with@revkev that pace of play is a personal preference. Depending on the situation, company, and factors in the course dictate pace. I generally like to play quickly, but have learned to not let slow play bother as much as it used to. However, if I need to meet SWMBO or have a honey-do list, I get frustrated with slow play.

My fastest round is 1:35. With a cart. Shot a 73. I also have a bunch of solo rounds at 1:45. But that can only happen when the course is empty. I love being able to play that quick. But it's not good for the course to be that empty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have played in 2 hours walking.  My wife and I played in 2:15 walking one day, that is our best.  Usually we play under 2:45 if we do not get caught behind anyone.  If you play ready golf then the round should not take 4 hours.  Its when the story telling and other things take place that make the round 4 hours.

Love this topic. I've averaged 2:15-2:30 on an empty cart and the course to myself. Even when it was over 100F. Walking I've finished in 2 hours although as of late, I'm averaging a lot more 3 hour rounds because my play hasn't been great. Also a lot depends on layout and how far the walks are between holes. One course in particular is about a 10 minute walk and a 2 minute cart ride. That's around how long a par 3 takes me to play at the most

Kind of cheating but greens were just punched so we hit our approach into green and just walked off. Took 2hrs 

• Like 1

@Middler this would make a great poll. Would be happy to feature it on the side bar if you edited it in. 

Today I think I played my quickest. 2:21. Didn't play speed golf by rushing shots but I did jog between all the long shots. Didn't run into anyone until my back 9, then was luckily let through by 4 groups. Good times and got home early enough to keep SWMBO happy. 

• Like 3

I rarely, if ever, play by myself and rarely with less than 3 players.  I can't remember my best time as a single, double, or more.  I do know that we usually complete 18 as a foursome in carts in 3:30-4:00 hours.  Our course pushes everyone to play at a 4 hour pace or better, although we have our known slower players at the club.  I am a member at a private club and I realize that this is completely different that what one would expect from a muni or resort course.  

We play a few couples tournaments as 6-somes and those days are brutal....6 hours isn't uncommon.  Makes for a long day!  🙂

• Like 2