TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sub70 golf

Sluggo42

First hit on each, 50,54,58...

multiple hits on one of them,  last pic that’s not grass stain, it’s yellow ball blood  

i think they’re about 10 yards shorter thank the Vokeys, but shaft has gone from a stiff + to a regular. No track man numbers, but I would guess the spin on these are all in the 10k range. I think these will be beach blanket clubs. And so soft with these shafts too. They’ll be tearing the balls up for a while I think. Serious sharp. Hope to get up to the practice green tomorrow for some spin testing. 

0E4F9C83-3648-4903-9F4D-DF1803C72F95.jpeg

0E5FF85D-90EF-46AB-BEE5-92A87E5C6864.jpeg

42EB8F2C-DDB5-4BEF-B2F6-70FE0A410B8C.jpeg

16420587-A613-4ECC-9542-319CB9E77698.jpeg

Edited by Sluggo42

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Hear are some views from address.

3 iron
IMG_9368.thumb.JPG.77903454b209ebcda5b927def2cbf9bb.JPG

5 iron
IMG_9370.thumb.JPG.79faf4808f42499abc11061fc46e85e5.JPG

60* wedge
IMG_9374.thumb.JPG.cbb0daf8b6ce2197235f215abfc24202.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The irons look to have a bit of offset... True, or angle of the shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

The irons look to have a bit of offset... True, or angle of the shot?

Angle of the camera. Very little offset.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I wish they’d redo the pics online. They don’t give the real image of how they would look at address. They’re at an odd angle, and even look like the shaft is leaning forward. The only real way to see amounts of offset is to have the shaft vertical.
Oh well. It would be cool to try them vs others in a fitting to get a sense head-to-head.

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

I wish they’d redo the pics online. They don’t give the real image of how they would look at address. They’re at an odd angle, and even look like the shaft is leaning forward. The only real way to see amounts of offset is to have the shaft vertical.
Oh well. It would be cool to try them vs others in a fitting to get a sense head-to-head.

Pictures can be tough to get right...they can always be deceiving in one way or another.  The specifications section for each model states the exact offset amount.

Pictures can be tough to get right...they can always be deceiving in one way or another.  The specifications section for each model states the exact offset amount.

I’m a visual guy... Gotta see it. Thanks for the reply!!!!

Talked with Jason today, so I’m going to demo the CB. Should be fun!!! Looking forward to it!

1 hour ago, Sluggo42 said:

when bob started to bend the first one he turned to me and said they feel good as he bent them. He said they feel like Miura, or mizuno, or Fourteen. He said he’s bent so many clubs in his life that he knows what good steel feels like when bending it. I’ve never once bent one myself, and I don’t know the validity of a statement like that, but he was intrigued with the clubs.

Love to hear that!

Is it Tuesday yet?! I’m excited to test these bad boys out and compare them to my Srixon 765s. We will see if I can keep up with Josh and compete with his numbers. This beautiful Illinois weather is driving me insane. I need some golf in my life ASAP. I’m heading to Vegas in March for a work conference so I’m sure that won’t help any as well.

Titleist 917 D2 9.5 Aldila Rogue Max Low X stiff flex 

Cobra F8+ 3-4 Wood 2knv green shaft 

Srixon U65 18 Steel Fiber i110x 

Srixon U65 4 iron Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 X stiff

Srixon 765 5-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 X stiff flex standard length/ 1 degree flat

Vokey 52/56/60

Bettinardi SS28 Center Shafted Putter

Srixon Zstar XV 2019 

Right Handed

Champaign, IL

USGA handicap index 22.1

Twitter: @darrenp36

Instagram: @dpow36

I have both the 639CB and 699 6 and 9 iron demos. KBS X Tour shafts.  First off, both clubs are beautiful pieces of work.  When you have them in hand, it is obvious that they are high quality. I especially like the forged look of the CB’s.  

I have taken them to a Foresight Simulator twice and all distances were consistent with each trip. 

I have RAC LT’s, dinosaur clubs I know.  Overall, the 699s perform and feel amazing. The ball jumps off the face . Across the board, my shot height is consistent between the 3 sets, but as you will see, the 699’s really stand out.  Picked up 15 yards carry with the 6 and 12 yards with the 9 iron compared to my clubs and hit the ball straighter.  To be honest, I have really struggled to hit the 639CB consistently.  I think it is a case of the Chef and not the food as I know others can hit them. With the offset, I probably need the lie adjusted +2 as the demos are just standard lie because I cannot get consistent contact. 

I am so impressed that I am considering a 6 hour drive to meet the guys and get a proper fitting.  I am excited to try their other clubs as well.  I am so happy to have run across the company on twitter as someone who has had the same irons for 14 years and has no desire to drop $2k. I have shown off the clubs to several buddies who drop $1,500 on new sticks every few years, and they are impressed.  

I also want to point out that I originally mis-ordered my demos and embarrassingly had to email shortly after placing the order.  Jason personally called me within an hour and talked me through the demo fitting.  Great service!

FBF08CDC-66DE-4CE1-A786-382DBF78305D.jpeg

37B47A4B-8C7C-4782-83F3-4BF6E1B9A261.jpeg

1349141F-A463-40CA-BAAF-CAD9873BBCBA.jpeg

45D801B8-4B14-454D-8008-0E9C6E8AEFCE.jpeg

BF9E35E1-12B7-4E2A-85D9-32E5A8D9DB18.jpeg

076DD9C9-780A-48B2-94A0-462F872043F8.jpeg

Edited by DaytonFlyers6
Added content

@DaytonFlyers6 Any chance you have or can grab a couple close up  pics of the 639CB and 699 6 and 9 irons at address?

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

13 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

@DaytonFlyers6 Any chance you have or can grab a couple close up  pics of the 639CB and 699 6 and 9 irons at address?

BlacknGold, since it’s not football season, I will oblige!

I hope these photos do them justice. First is the 639CB, second is the 699. 

C95A2C90-AAE5-450C-BEF9-30A4F5E5392D.jpeg

7669AE93-B2C5-4A13-A695-CB8CC1DEF91E.jpeg

7 minutes ago, DaytonFlyers6 said:

BlacknGold, since it’s not football season, I will oblige!

I hope these photos do them justice. First is the 639CB, second is the 699. 

C95A2C90-AAE5-450C-BEF9-30A4F5E5392D.jpeg

7669AE93-B2C5-4A13-A695-CB8CC1DEF91E.jpeg

Thank you.   SWMBO would kill me if I bought more golf equipment right now with a wedding and a high school graduation coming up over the next year but man those 699's are calling my name.  I wonder how much blood/semen I would need to donate! 🤣

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

2 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

Thank you.   SWMBO would kill me if I bought more golf equipment right now with a wedding and a high school graduation coming up over the next year but man those 699's are calling my name.  I wonder how much blood/semen I would need to donate! 🤣

Only one way to find out...

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I wonder how similar the 699’s are to the TM p790’s...

hat would be a nice visual and performance comparison...wink, wink...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I posted a thread just now with a little background on me and my experience with Sub 70 golf today.  You can check it out here 

Srixon 765 5-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 X stiff flex standard length/ 1 degree flat

Vokey 52/56/60

Srixon Zstar XV 2019 

Right Handed

Champaign, IL

USGA handicap index 22.1

First off I want to apologize for not taking any pictures while I was at Sub 70 today.  I was caught up in the moment.  A little backstory on me is that I just started playing golf only a couple of years ago.  I've played baseball and softball competitively all my life and traveled the country doing it.  I had a great uncle and my uncle who was like a father to me pass away 5 years ago.  They loved golf and I never understood it until my fiancee and I found out we were expecting.  I made the decision to hang up the cleats and quit traveling the country playing ball.  That change depressed me for awhile.  I didn't have anything to feed my competitive nature and ultimately led me to taking up golf.  That was one of the best decisions I've ever made.  I joined a local country club and used a set of clubs that was my uncles.  They were a set of Cobra Gravity back irons with X100 shafts.  Sure this set of irons was nowhere near fit for me but it was a start.  I was absolutely horrible at the game and it was quite frustrating as I knew I was better than the 36 handicap with how athletic I am.  After that first year at the country club I met a fellow member on here [mention=52743]jacustomgolf[/mention].  We became good friends and league partners.  Right before we met and started golfing together purchased a set of 716 AP2 irons with S300 shafts in them that our pro fit me for.  That first year of golfing in league I brought my handicap down to a 30 but still struggled.  With the help of Josh and his expertise the following year I knocked a couple more strokes off my handicap to a 28 but something was missing.  Last year in the off-season I worked on my driver all winter long and things were finally starting to click.  Josh and I went to club champion and I was fit in a totally different shaft and set up.  After messaging Josh a million times I finally purchased a set of Srixon 765 irons with the Nippon Modus 3 tour 120 x stiff shafts.  This was a game changer!  I dropped the handicap down to a 22 and I still struggle with the driver but its coming along.  Enough of me and lets get to the story of what led me to Sub 70 golf.

Around a month ago Josh mentioned something to me about a new direct to consumer golf brand.  That golf brand is called Sub 70 golf.  I talked with Josh more about this and ended up emailing Jason at Sub 70 to set up a fitting.  Since then there has been a lot of talk about this brand model and the brand itself.  I took the 2:45 drive to Sub 70 today to meet with Jason, swing some of their products, and compare them to my current set up.  Jason and the staff at Sub 70 did not disappoint.  As I stated earlier I have been to Club Champion the previous year and experienced the corporate side of a fitting.  Yes it was impressive with all the different shaft and head combinations but I did not like that they try to push you into upgraded overpriced shafts.  I didn't know what to think about Sub 70 at first as it is a smaller company only selling their brand.  Let me tell you I am extremely happy that I chose to do this.  Jason took me from his office, through the warehouse, back into a room with a simulator that had a bunch of their irons lined against the wall and also his personal set of clubs.  Jason looked over my clubs and discussed options that they offer for irons (639 CB forged, 739, and 699).  After looking at my Srixon 765s he asked if I was professionally fit for them or how I came to purchase them.  We talked a little more about them and he asked me to warm up using my irons and watched me swing.  As its February in Illinois and the weather hasn't been the greatest I have not swung a club in months.  He noticed a little tweaks that I needed to make in my swing and once I was fully warmed up and in my grooved he handed me the 639 CB and asked me to try it.  It took me a couple swings to adjust as the 639 CB had the DG S300 shaft in it.  What happened next surprised me.  I was gaining a full 14-17 yards even on miss hits!  I kept switching back to my 765s as if my eyes and the numbers were deceiving me.  The 639 CBs definitely impressed me as well as the wedges!  I was carrying the 6 iron in the 200-210yd range and miss-hits were carrying 190-200yd range.  We both agreed the Nippon Modus 3 tour 120 x stiff shafts were the best fit for shafts for me.  Now the wedges.  The pictures of the black wedges online don't do them any justice.  As soon as Jason brought me one I almost had to wipe my mouth from drool.  I LOVE a nice jet black vehicle and this wedge has the look and shine of that and they perform!  The feel was so soft and smooth it was crazy.  At times I wondered if I was hitting a ball or not.  Thats how good they feel!  Jason was extremely honest with me and looked through my bag and saw I have a Cobra F8+ 3 wood with a 2knv green x stiff shaft, a Srixon U65 iron with a steel fibre i110cw x stiff shaft, and a U65 4 iron with the Nippon Modus 3 tour 120 x stiff shaft and told me that it would be pointless to even try and fit me into their 3 wood and hybrids.  He said what I have are excellent clubs and work just fine.  The honesty went a long way with me!  We chatted for a little while longer, went into his office and wrote all the specs down (shaft, lie, grip, and head) and he told me he would send me a quote later today.  He thanked me for coming out and testing his products and I thanked him for taking the time to work with me and let me demo his clubs.   As I was on my way back home I received an email with a quote for what I swung.  Sticker shock?!  NO WAY!!  I called him instantly after I read the quote and asked him if he wanted some money.  I could not believe the price as it felt like it was too good to be true but that is the whole point of the direct to consumer model.  

Let me just conclude with if you are in the market for new clubs I highly recommend checking out their clubs.   If you are just a car ride away from Sycamore, IL give them a buzz and go test the clubs in person with Jason (the owner).  If you are farther away than a car ride go online to www.golfsub70.com and check out their demo program.  Worst case scenario you are out $20.  I don't know about you but I would rather be out $20 instead of $800-$1,000 for a new set of clubs.  Sorry this post is a mile long and if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask them on here and I will respond.  Thanks for reading and in 2019 I WILL BE PLAYING the @sub70golf 639 CB 5-PW, 50, 54, and 58 wedges.  I will also start a thread and keep a log of how I play with them if this weather ever decides to cooperate in Illinois and will also post pictures of the Sub 70 clubs when they come in.  

Nice write up now we just need warmer weather.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

As a whole, I'm impressed with Sub70's ability to keep up with the big boys in the Most Wanted tested. Middle of the pack is VERY respectable for a new company with direct to consumer prices. Given a year or two to perfect their product, they could be a top contender. Huge kudos to Sub70! 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

52 minutes ago, GB13 said:

As a whole, I'm impressed with Sub70's ability to keep up with the big boys in the Most Wanted tested. Middle of the pack is VERY respectable for a new company with direct to consumer prices. Given a year or two to perfect their product, they could be a top contender. Huge kudos to Sub70! 

I'd add this: especially in the driver category. I won't be shocked at all if they do well in irons, especially their blades. There, the major OEMs have no significant tech advantage. But to put up that showing in drivers is even more impressive.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

11 hours ago, GB13 said:

Thank you!  

10 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'd add this: especially in the driver category. I won't be shocked at all if they do well in irons, especially their blades. There, the major OEMs have no significant tech advantage. But to put up that showing in drivers is even more impressive.

Thank you.  Driver was by far the hardest product for us to get finalized.  We were told that the driver performed really well for testers with higher swing speeds but not so much for those with the lower swing speeds.  Being a smaller niche/boutique company, the driver was designed with our market in mind.  We truly believe that given the right shaft, length, loft, etc. that the head can produce ball speeds, launch angles and spin numbers comparable to the $600+ drivers.  It helps that we can get people into any custom shaft and still save them a good deal of money.  That being said, we're really excited to see how the irons, wedges, hybrids and fairway woods perform.  

7 minutes ago, GolfSub70 said:

Thank you!  

Thank you.  Driver was by far the hardest product for us to get finalized.  We were told that the driver performed really well for testers with higher swing speeds but not so much for those with the lower swing speeds.  Being a smaller niche/boutique company, the driver was designed with our market in mind.  We truly believe that given the right shaft, length, loft, etc. that the head can produce ball speeds, launch angles and spin numbers comparable to the $600+ drivers.  It helps that we can get people into any custom shaft and still save them a good deal of money.  That being said, we're really excited to see how the irons, wedges, hybrids and fairway woods perform.  

That's good stuff, the breakdown by swing speed usually follows the full results within two weeks or so.   Not an official time frame, just going off past years. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 minute ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

That's good stuff, the breakdown by swing speed usually follows the full results within two weeks or so.   Not an official time frame, just going off past years. 

Yeah we're interested to see how those results look.  It can be really tough with drivers due to the shaft, length and loft variables.  It sounds like the driver head may get put into the TRUEGolfFit system so it certainly worked well for some testers.

11 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Since MGS tests only with stock shafts, Sub70 not having the same access to stock shafts may have hurt them in this test. They also won't have the library of no-charge exotic shafts that many of the big OEM's have access to. Maybe that hurts them, I don't know.

But I agree. I am very interested to see where the irons fall. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

13 minutes ago, newballcoach said:

Since MGS tests only with stock shafts, Sub70 not having the same access to stock shafts may have hurt them in this test. They also won't have the library of no-charge exotic shafts that many of the big OEM's have access to. Maybe that hurts them, I don't know.

The stock shaft situation certainly could have had an impact on some of the numbers.  We CAN get nearly any premium/upgrade driver shaft possible and will offer very fair pricing on those upgrades.  Even with a high end shaft upgrade the total driver cost will be significantly lower than the OEMs with the same shaft.

If the irons are not in the top I will be surprised. Myself and another member are putting the 639 CB in play over our Srixon 765s and we all know how high the 765s were ranked.

Vokey 52/56/60

Srixon Zstar XV 2019 

Right Handed

Champaign, IL

USGA handicap index 22.1

14 minutes ago, dpgolf36 said:

If the irons are not in the top I will be surprised. Myself and another member are putting the 639 CB in play over our Srixon 765s and we all know how high the 765s were ranked.

I'm very curious to see how they do as well. The CB's are very intriguing the more I look at them. Just wish I could get them in a DBM finish.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour