Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Sub70 golf

Sluggo42

48 minutes ago, GolfSub70 said:

Here are a couple pictures of our newest prototype. The 639-G wouldn't be available until 2020 if we decide to move forward, but I thought I would share. It should fit between the MB and CB...MB profile but a little more forgiving.

IMG_20190314_064916_642.jpg

IMG_20190314_064916_641.jpg

It would be quite a shock to the system to switch to these from my G700s.

But wowsers it might still be worth it 🙂

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

1 hour ago, GolfSub70 said:

Here are a couple pictures of our newest prototype. The 639-G wouldn't be available until 2020 if we decide to move forward, but I thought I would share. It should fit between the MB and CB...MB profile but a little more forgiving.

These things are 🔥

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

I'm still sure the MBs are the right iron for me, but man... A blade with a touch of forgiveness???

It would make for the ultimate blended set if you did bring them next year!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:odyssey-small: Tri-Hot #3 (2002) Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 Grip

:titelist-small: AVX Balls  +  :wilson-small: Exo Bag  +  :footjoy-small: shoes

On 3/9/2019 at 2:31 PM, PMookie said:

639 CB 7 iron....

One word: wow.

I got to hit balls at the range and the club was great! Great feel, consistency, FORGIVENESS, and nice flight window! Really nice! I was shocked at how forgiving they are, and I was hitting center-of-face 90% of the time. Really nice. I just kept saying to myself, “Dang, this club is straight!”

I emailed Jason and told him that at address, the offset, and shape of the club remind me a lot of the MacGregor VIP 7 iron blade I have!

These ones:

IMG_8320.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a full set of the MacGregor 1025M Tourney VIP clubs.  They are IMO the easiest blade-type iron to hit... period! They have to be if I can hit them. 

I love playing them; it's just that I score better with today's SGI irons.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 3/14/2019 at 7:58 AM, GolfSub70 said:

Move over PXG... there's a new sheriff in town 😄.  Hell, I'd be inclined to play the wrong clubs (for me) just to watch the starry eye glazes around the course.  Those are cool looking!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Move over PXG... there's a new sheriff in town 😄.  Hell, I'd be inclined to play the wrong clubs (for me) just to watch the starry eye glazes around the course.  Those are cool looking!

Hah! Thanks. At this point they're just a concept/prototype but hopefully they'll develop into another product line. We don't really want to come out with new products unless they offer something that we aren't already hitting...we think these could be good on their own or make for a good mixed set with either the MBs or CBs...but we'll see what happens 

Hah! Thanks. At this point they're just a concept/prototype but hopefully they'll develop into another product line. We don't really want to come out with new products unless they offer something that we aren't already hitting...we think these could be good on their own or make for a good mixed set with either the MBs or CBs...but we'll see what happens 
This kind of thinking is what the big boys don't get right now... Look at how many sets they have out there just hoping to land people on something. Instead, make fewer great clubs that fits more people. I think it was the Tour Edge video where the President said he didn't want to make the best driver on the market, he wanted the best driver for 80% of the market... Smart idea...

Love where you're headed with this... Waiting impatiently for those MBs!!! Come on summer!!!

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip

So I know this is in the Shiny Metal/Irons sub, so first a question in that regard- is there a timeframe on demo availability for the Sub70 MB’s? Would it be the same as the general release?

but second, and not iron related, it seems that the only negatives I’ve heard regarding the Sub70 Drivers have been about sound/feel- has anyone tried hotmelting to quiet things down some? Is there an access point to add it?

6 hours ago, wareaglefan23 said:

So I know this is in the Shiny Metal/Irons sub, so first a question in that regard- is there a timeframe on demo availability for the Sub70 MB’s? Would it be the same as the general release?

but second, and not iron related, it seems that the only negatives I’ve heard regarding the Sub70 Drivers have been about sound/feel- has anyone tried hotmelting to quiet things down some? Is there an access point to add it?

Thanks for the message.  On the MBs, we should have them by June 1st.  I'm hoping we get some heads over for demo use before then and we'll definitely announce that via social media if they become available.

On the driver, it's really strange because we had 10+ people test the driver during development and had zero comments on the sound.  Most of that testing was done outdoors and we have noticed that it is higher pitched/louder in a smaller, indoor environment.  We've had several guys double check the sound against other driver heads outside...and they noted that it may be slightly higher pitched/louder than some heads...but it's similar to some other major OEM heads and isn't "Whoa that is loud".  As far as hot melt...that is definitely an option.  There are forward and rear weights that are removable so you could certainly mod it if you wanted to.

Thanks for the message.  On the MBs, we should have them by June 1st.  I'm hoping we get some heads over for demo use before then and we'll definitely announce that via social media if they become available.
On the driver, it's really strange because we had 10+ people test the driver during development and had zero comments on the sound.  Most of that testing was done outdoors and we have noticed that it is higher pitched/louder in a smaller, indoor environment.  We've had several guys double check the sound against other driver heads outside...and they noted that it may be slightly higher pitched/louder than some heads...but it's similar to some other major OEM heads and isn't "Whoa that is loud".  As far as hot melt...that is definitely an option.  There are forward and rear weights that are removable so you could certainly mod it if you wanted to.
Try it against something loud, like the Wilson Triton or F5... Do some videos so people can hear them side by side. I know a guy that would be happy to make you a few videos...

In The Bag:

On 3/14/2019 at 6:58 AM, GolfSub70 said:

Ummm Wow... I would game these in a second. I am glad you said 2020 gets me saving up for them

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I just got a video of two guys hitting a G400 MAX and the 839D at an outdoor range.  I uploaded it to our YouTube as an unlisted video but you can check it out below.  
[/url]  

Definitely don’t hear anything offensive. Sounds fine to me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I just got a video of two guys hitting a G400 MAX and the 839D at an outdoor range.  I uploaded it to our YouTube as an unlisted video but you can check it out below.  

Totally nailed the sound... Click, but not horrible... Too bad you don't have a Triton to toss against it... Now that's loud and annoying!

In The Bag:

12 hours ago, Rtracymog said:

Definitely don’t hear anything offensive. Sounds fine to me.

Yeah it's slightly higher pitched and I guess that gets amplified when hitting in indoor/confined spaces.  I'll try and post more comparison videos if I see them or get a chance to record any myself.

On 3/23/2019 at 7:38 AM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

So I went through another TrueGolfFit fitting yesterday, to get a look at how the 2019 sticks would fit me, and this came up...

TruGolfFit.JPG

I'm going to be in Chicago next week and made arrangements to meet owner Jason Hilland for a quick fitting session at their place in Sycamore. Have spoken with Jason a few times and finally got to meet him at the PGA Show in January - very interesting guy. I have a week to get my swing in shape so I don't wind up getting embarrassed. It's been a long, cold, lonely winter....

Please let us know how the fitting works out for you! I love the shape of this driver based on pictures!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I got a 4 wood from Sub70 over the weekend. Initially results are very good. I know it will be in the bag for a long time. Nice ball flight and feels great!  My club just got a trackman so I will get some data in the next few weeks. 

IMG_9925.JPG
IMG_9926.JPG
IMG_9927.JPG
IMG_9928.JPG

Edited by jacustomgolf

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

4 minutes ago, Waazzupppp said:

Dateline - June 2018

I have played various forms of Wilson blades for 30 years now. My beloved 1989 Fluid Feel irons are still in a bag ready to go on a moments notice, but most recently I was bagging the FG-100's. Unfortunately, two of them were going to need replacing to make the set last another season, so I started looking at options. As I watched for what was next, the Wilson Proto images began to roll out, I had my next set of irons in my sights. Unfortunately, I was told the irons would be about $1200-1300 at retail and quickly began to reassess my needs. I continued shopping until October when I hit the JPX 900 Forged irons while trying on shoes at my local store. Now, instead of waiting for the next Wilson blade to hit, I made a drastic change to "fix" a fault and go with the Mizuno JPX 900 Forged irons and just haven't been happy with them. My search continued for my next "perfect irons".

SOMETHING NEW...

As the new year started and the Mizuno's only continued to feel OK, I really started looking hard at other options. Even though I don't have an unlimited golf budget, I did want something extremely playable and blade like, but didn't want to go used as some of the player's irons get beat pretty well before they go on the sale block. I started researching some of the smaller brands and found some great reviews on the Sub70 699 irons. Even low handicap players were crooning over the distance gains and the feel of these hollowed body beasts. I messaged Sub70 on social media and asked about them. Jason messaged me back almost instantly. He gave me a quick rundown of their irons and how the 639CB would be a better match for what I needed. Then, he mentioned the MB model and how it could be even better for me. After a bit of chatting back and forth, he had me give him my phone number and he called me - on a Saturday afternoon! What service! THIS went well beyond what I expected in the way of customer service and it only got better from there. Jason said to send over my specs and he would make up a demo club for me to hit and get it out to me. The next day I went down and double checked specs and sent them off. Within an hour, another email back confirming the specs and adjustments and everything was rolling.

ORDERED...

Name:  20190322_125208.jpg Views: 4 Size:  896.9 KB
2l0duz1vcgl90dzvad47d352pvttxcjc
8J1NkYjLTL9LdaiZ7

My shipping notification from UPS was sent out a few days later and after an AGONIZING few days, the black "Sub 70 Golf" box arrived at the shop and I began to drool. Finally the time to clock out arrived and I cracked open the box. The iron was in a "prototype finish" so not the final one, but I can honestly say, I hadn't seen an iron this beautiful since I first set eyes on those 1989 Fluid Feels at the driving range when I was 14 years old. Of course, falling for the looks of a club is one thing, but could it possibly match up to the playability of my beloved Wilson blades or would it feel squishy like most of the new "forged" offerings do? The range would have to wait until tomorrow.

OPENING THE BOX...

Name:  20190323_105751.jpg Views: 4 Size:  1.25 MB
xMQgmhhizKWnnHFe6

I rolled up to the course for a tournament that Saturday morning and "unofficially" unboxed the 639MB. I was still blown away by the looks, and the weighting of the head vs. the KBS Tour 130 shaft. It just felt perfectly balanced. I went with the stock Golf Pride 360 Tour Velvet grip just to keep things simple. The clean lines of the grip flowing to the shaft, then continuing down to the perfectly turned ferrule was a sight to see on it's own. Then the satin-esque finish of the head made the entire package scream PERFECTION. I carefully placed that 7 iron in the bag and headed over to the practice tee.

FIRST CONTACT...

Name:  IMG_-1gugf1.jpg Views: 4 Size:  1.61 MB
AxccHSS8pgRDkEnW9

I had thought my skills as a ball striker had diminished a bit over the years, but from the first ball with the 639MB, I realized that I still had it. Center strike after center strike produced a 165 yard draw dead on target. I then tried a cut fade, 160 and stopped on a dime- WITH RANGE BALLS! I think I'm in love with this iron already. Then I started flighting it - high, low, middle... All with easy success. I swapped out to the Mizuno just to make sure it wasn't my swing for the day - and trust me, the way I played, it wasn't. The Mizuno was good, but not like the Sub70 iron. I then did something that I normally don't try to do with them - hit a few heel and toe shots. Now, when I struck the ball outside the groove area on the toe, I lost a bit of distance, but the club virtually corrected the line of the shot - almost like an old wood did with the old "gear effect". It was incredible to watch and even more fun to experience first hand. Moving to the heel, I didn't get killed with the dead pull left that my older blades gave me. It was a nice straight flight, again with a slight distance loss. Overall, the performance of these is on par with the Muira's, Kyoei and other top blades I've tried over the years - and from what I see online, these are going to cost about 1/3 the price of a custom set of those guys.

FINAL THOUGHTS...

Name:  20190324_163313.jpg Views: 4 Size:  1.10 MB

Ok, I'm going to be honest here and say that this 32° 7 iron should have been shorter than my 31° Mizuno, but it wasn't. Actually, as I looked at the yardages on center hits, the Project X LZ fitted Mizuno flew a bit higher, but was actually 3 yards shorter than the KBS Tour equipped 639MB. After looking up my stock distances again on my 1989 irons, degree vs. degree, my 167 yard 7 iron was at my peak swing, so tattooing shot after shot at 165 on the range is about as good as it gets. I wasn't able to get dispersion numbers yet, but I'm willing to bet I was 5 yards at most at 165 yards - which I will take all day long. Again, being able to flight an iron is probably the most important thing to me - far more important than distance or lofts, and the 639MB was so effortless in this way. I had completely lost that with the Mizuno's as they float the ball into the air and bring it down beautifully on every shot. Hitting the 639's, I remembered how it felt to be in complete control of the ball and it felt amazing. The good news is I'm 100% sold on these irons and the service that Sub 70 gave me... The bad news - I can't get a set of these until summer. Now, for some that play major tournament golf, Sub70 is getting through the approval process for the USGA ASAP. They thought they had submitting the right stuff to start with, but then the USGA needed some additional clubs (like a full set - etc...) to fully approve the irons. Approval will be coming soon so don't stress about that at all.

Name:  20190324_163022.jpg Views: 4 Size:  997.3 KB
Name:  20190324_163201.jpg Views: 4 Size:  1.98 MB

If you have any questions on the 639MB, I'd be happy to answer them and I know Jason and/or Jay from Sub70 are lurking around here with more information than I probably have at this point, but I'll do my best. Also, keep in mind that these are completely custom built for you, in the US and they have been amazing getting me information on them. I can't wait to get my order in as soon as they are available. More to come - summer 2019. 

PS: Please keep in mind, this is NOT the final finish. They are still tweaking that, but as soon as I get my set, I'll be sure to update everyone with pictures of the final finish of them.

Very nice write up!  I know when I hit the MB in Sycamore they felt great.  I can't wait to get them to finish out my combo set!

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I am absolutely DYING to try a set of the MB's. I bought the 639 CB's and really love them, but, I am more of a blade player than anything. I, for some reason, cannot see your pics, @Waazzupppp but, I would love to! 

In the bag:

Driver: Titleist TS3 - Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro 7x

Fairways/Hybrids: Sub70 939x 3H & 4H w/ Pro Force V2 X 

Irons: Sub70 639 CB 4i-6i, 639 MB 7i-PW - Modus Tour 120S

Wedges: Sub70 Wedges - 52*, 56* 60*

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black - 34.5" 3* flat

@BuddaBlades - Just posted the photos as attachments since some couldn't see them. Let me know if you have any questions!

In The Bag:

19 hours ago, Waazzupppp said:

@BuddaBlades - Just posted the photos as attachments since some couldn't see them. Let me know if you have any questions!

Sweet mother Mary and Joseph! Those look AMAZING!!! I'm literally drooling. Wow!

In the bag:

Sweet mother Mary and Joseph! Those look AMAZING!!! I'm literally drooling. Wow!
I'll tell you what... If it's ok with Jay and Jason, when I get my set ordered, I'll forward this one on to you. Is an X Flex too stiff for you or is it good to go? It's also 2° upright if that's not a problem. I think they said I'd be able to order in a few months...

Also, remember, this isn't the final finish on them, but Jason said it was getting even better! IMG_20190326_064345_966.jpeg20190326_063045.jpeg20190326_063324.jpeg

In The Bag:

7 minutes ago, Waazzupppp said:

I'll tell you what... If it's ok with Jay and Jason, when I get my set ordered, I'll forward this one on to you. Is an X Flex too stiff for you or is it good to go? It's also 2° upright if that's not a problem. I think they said I'd be able to order in a few months...

Also, remember, this isn't the final finish on them, but Jason said it was getting even better! IMG_20190326_064345_966.jpeg20190326_063045.jpeg20190326_063324.jpeg

I've been talking with Jason about these. Unfortunately, I'm a S, and 1.5 flat. So, I'd have to field adjust that one. I can swing an X too. I can ask what he thinks as well?

In the bag:

3 hours ago, BuddaBlades said:

I've been talking with Jason about these. Unfortunately, I'm a S, and 1.5 flat. So, I'd have to field adjust that one. I can swing an X too. I can ask what he thinks as well?

Definitely talk to Jason about it and we'll get you setup somehow.  Worst case scenario, that one gets sent back and we swap out the shaft + make a lie adjustment and then send it out.  We'll figure it out and make sure anyone that's interested gets a chance to check them out!

Range session number three is in the books and now I have a problem... 

I spent about 60 balls on this 7 iron and it is BUTTER! I don't want to play anything else. I'm tempted to toss my ancient FG49's back in the bag until I can get a full set of the 639MB's.

Sound - The click on this head is just about perfect. It's not the muted "thunk" that a cavity back makes and it's not the "thwack" that my other blades make. It's a perfect blend of the two. I will say that forcing shots off the toe produces a lovely higher pitched click that lets you know you missed the center, but that's a good thing.

Feel - I can't say in words how amazing this thing feels. It's not spongy like the JPX900F's and it's not harsh like so many of my other blades. I guess I would describe it as a muted harshness maybe? When you center strike them, the ball just goes effortlessly off the club to the target. The mishits tend to deliver a bit more feedback, but that's to be expected in a muscle back design. I like the fact that I can feel the misses, without having to feel the misses.

Distance - This was a concern of mine after the first range session with them. I was down about 1/2 a club over my previous blades and a full club off the Mizuno's. Good news... I found my distance with it. With the higher flying Mizzy's, I had moved the ball slightly forward in my stance to cut the backspin (and thus the height) of the shot a bit. I wanted to flight the ball a bit lower with them so that was the change I made to my setup. After moving the ball back into the proper position for the 639's, the distance almost instantaneously appeared again. My dialed in distance (though I still haven't had a Trackman session to verify this) is 168 carry, 175 roll with the standard range ball. If the calculations work out correctly with every other club I've had, this should be a 175 carry on the course with a real ball. Done!

Durability - I haven't had the pleasure of hitting a rock with this thing yet, but so far, the grooves, face and the rest of the club head are doing fantastic. 

I know Sub 70 has a huge product line up and I don't want to hijack this thread with just this bad boy, but man, I love it!

In The Bag:

Here are some of my numbers with the Sub70 4 wood from the other day. We didn’t hit many as it was windy but I really like the way this club flys. I’ll take 268 all day long.

IMG_9964.PNG

IMG_9924.JPG

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*