TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sub70 golf

Sluggo42

3 hours ago, revkev said:

I was going to call Sub 70 but thought I’d ask here I stead as others might be interested.

Any thoughts on how the 739’s and the 639’s might fit together? I’d envision PW-8 with the 639’s and 7-5 with the 739.

I’m an older moderate swing speed shallow swinger (picker) who still has a single digit handicap. But I need the bigger platform in those middle irons.

I currently game Ping G 30’s. Love them from 7 iron up - can’t stand the 9 iron and wedge - oh do I dislike the look of them and the lack of feel and difficulty in control the trajectory.

Thoughts on how to make that combo work?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Good question.  The combo that you mentioned could certainly work.  The stock 639 8 iron is 36* and the 739 7 iron is 30*...you could bend the 8 iron down to 35* and the 7 iron  to 31*.  If you wanted you could then bend the 6 iron to 27*.  The 5 iron is already 23* so that would fit nicely.  You'd have something like the following...

44* PW (639)

40* 9 iron (639)

35* 8 iron (639)

31* 7 iron (739)

27* 6 iron (739)

23* 5 iron (739)

Of course you could always bend the 9 iron and PW down a degree if you wanted to avoid that 5* gap between the 8 and 9 iron.  Then you'd probably want 48, 52 an 56 degree wedges.  That split probably makes the most sense. 

The next best option would be hybrids which some people love and some people hate.  We have hybrids in 18*, 21*, 24* and 27* lofts...so you could do a few hybrids and then fill out the rest of the set with the 639s.  

Edited by GolfSub70

Good question.  The combo that you mentioned could certainly work.  The stock 639 8 iron is 36* and the 739 7 iron is 30*...you could bend the 8 iron down to 35* and the 7 iron  to 31*.  If you wanted you could then bend the 6 iron to 27*.  The 5 iron is already 23* so that would fit nicely.  You'd have something like the following...
44* PW (639)
40* 9 iron (639)
35* 8 iron (639)
31* 7 iron (739)
27* 6 iron (739)
23* 5 iron (739)
Of course you could always bend the 8 iron, 9 iron and PW down a degree if you wanted to avoid that 5* gap between the 8 and 9 iron.  Then you'd probably want 48, 52 an 56 degree wedges.  That split probably makes the most sense. 
The next best option would be hybrids which some people love and some people hate.  We have hybrids in 18*, 21*, 24* and 27* lofts...so you could do a few hybrids and then fill out the rest of the set with the 639s.  

I think I like the first option - on paper at least - but it’s given me another thought also. I’m going to call this afternoon about doing a demo so that I can see and touch these babies for myself.

Thanks

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

39 minutes ago, revkev said:

I think I like the first option - on paper at least - but it’s given me another thought also. I’m going to call this afternoon about doing a demo so that I can see and touch these babies for myself.

Thanks

That sounds great.  If you have any additional questions you can always email Jason at Jason@GolfSub70.com  He'd be the guy to talk to about blending the sets and what options might make the most sense.  It's super easy to bend the CBs to whatever lofts you want.  It's a little more difficult with the casted 739s but I think we could move those a degree or two if necessary.  I'm sure there's a solution somewhere between the 739s, 699s, 639s and hybrids if necessary.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I know a couple people who build clubs. One makes custom irons. They feel good and hit well. They work for a good amount of people. I say play what you like. Give them a whirl!

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

these irons are the real deal! I played Srixon z965's for a while and recently got fit in the Z forged. Held off on purchasing since I was interested in the 639 MB's. Im just over an hour from Sub 70 hq so I went and hit these in person... both the CB and MB feel incredible. The consistency of the MB is what sold me. with the 7i I hit 10 straight shots between 173 - 178 and accurate. Of course mishits will be punished with a blade, but even ones I caught slightly thin still flew right on line.

Ordered a 4-6 in the 639 CB. and 7- Pw in the 639 MB (coming out in 4 weeks). The wedges felt incredible as well. They felt better than my $200 Ping Glide Forged

What sold me most is their incredible customer service and Jason wanting to make sure you are perfectly happy before leaving the facility. received a follow up call the next day to confirm the specs I fit in to.... Not that I plan on returning them but Jason stressed if theres anything ever wrong or you simply aren't happy to let him know and he'll work on refunding the purchase. Said he would feel horrible if his customers were not truly happy with the equipment. From what I saw in hitting the irons I plan on keeping them forever

Give Sub 70 a real shot vs any OEM blades. They are fantastic!!

TM M5 9* LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 6x

TM M6 15* LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 7x

Callaway Epic Forged 4i Aerotech Steelfiber FC115

Mizuno MP 20MMC 4 - PW Aerotech Steelfiber FC115

TM Milled Grind 2 50*, 54* UST Recoil Prototype 125

TM Bigfoot 58* UST Recoil Wedge Prototype 125

Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

Got a 50 degree wedge on order earlier today. Haven't been happy with my current gap wedge and have been looking around. Loved my previous 52 degree Mizuno T7, that was replaced by a Vokey SM7, but the Vokey just never felt quite as good. Excited to see if Sub 70 can claim one of my favorite spots in the bag.

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

I’ve held off on buying because of being selected for the Ping long club test - that will be an additional fitting plus give me a good sense of the longest iron to bag and best shaft.

My buddy ordered the 639 CB which is what I’m looking at. His specs are radically different from mine but at least I will be able to eye ball them before I order.

Can’t wait to be a part of the Sub 70 group.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Well, within less than 24 hours of ordering my 50 degree satin wedge, I got my call from Jason to confirm the specs I had ordered. I cannot begin to tell you how genuine the call actually felt. That kind of customer service is what makes us golfers feel like we actually matter to the company whose gear we use.

I will honestly say that that call, at the perfect timing, just made me hold off on completing an order for a new set of irons through a different company. I'd feel like I'd be a fool to a) jump on an impulse buy for a deal without having swung the irons and b) not being patient to see how the Sub 70 wedge does for a trial.

On 2/5/2019 at 12:11 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Who cares if they perform, the name is cool! 😀  @GolfSub70, I was fitted for G400's this past summer and still haven't pulled the trigger on moving on from my PE2's (like getting the old blanket away from Linus).  What in your line up would be comparable?

Depends if it refers to age or strokes!

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

1 hour ago, Curly6 said:

Well, within less than 24 hours of ordering my 50 degree satin wedge, I got my call from Jason to confirm the specs I had ordered. I cannot begin to tell you how genuine the call actually felt. That kind of customer service is what makes us golfers feel like we actually matter to the company whose gear we use.

I will honestly say that that call, at the perfect timing, just made me hold off on completing an order for a new set of irons through a different company. I'd feel like I'd be a fool to a) jump on an impulse buy for a deal without having swung the irons and b) not being patient to see how the Sub 70 wedge does for a trial.

Jason is who I met with when I went to hit the clubs. Very genuine person who truly cares about the customer and will do whatever it takes to make sure you are happy with your purchase.

The wedges felt great. My ping glide forged are the best wedges ive ever played and head to head they were right on par with each other. So for $80 or $200 for a club that performs the same ill take the cheaper one!!

Update: My irons came yesterday and went straight to the range with them. Very easy to control flight and felt much better than the TM P790/770's I was playing.

Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

Has anyone had conversation on price point of the 639 MB's yet, or gotten quotes for a combo set that would include the 639 CBs in the lower lofts and 639MBs for the mid/short irons that is willing or able to share?

I ordered 4-6 CB and 7 - P MB... prices are same. I use Project X so that was a $140 upcharge. 

So 7 irons, $140 shaft upgrade, golf pride z cord align grips, and tax..... about $800. 

So far ive only been charge $350 for the 4 - 6 CB. The MB's are about 4 weeks away still

Edited by jfrigo

Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

Thanks, that's roughly what I had estimated, mine would be with a modus 120 upgrade so it would be very similar.

2 hours ago, jfrigo said:

Jason is who I met with when I went to hit the clubs. Very genuine person who truly cares about the customer and will do whatever it takes to make sure you are happy with your purchase.

yup, I’ve talked with him numerous times, and it’s always like that...

The wedges felt great. My ping glide forged are the best wedges ive ever played and head to head they were right on par with each other. So for $80 or $200 for a club that performs the same ill take the cheaper one!!

Gotta agree here, I’ve got about 50+ rounds in on my full sub70 wedge set, and it seems they just keep getting better...

Update: My irons came yesterday and went straight to the range with them. Very easy to control flight and felt much better than the TM P790/770's I was playing.

really? I play the 790’s and they’re pretty darned nice. Are the 639’s much shorter then the 790’s??

Edited by Sluggo42

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

16 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

really? I play the 790’s and they’re pretty darned nice. Are the 639’s much shorter then the 790’s??

yea the 790's were a bad match for me to begin with. Im a high speed player, launch pretty high already and generally lower spin with my irons. yes the 639's are shorter but its mainly b/c weaker lofts and the heads spin more than p790's. For me I prefer the weaker loft and extra spin to lock in a yardage.

with my 790 6iron I hit it anywhere from 200 - 230. every once in a while with the 790 there's that hot spot where it just flies the ball an extra 15 yards that does me no good. When I hit the 639's I hit 10 straight shots within 8 yards of each other

and regarding flight, I can never flight down the 790's. They naturally wanna launch high so when I'm hitting in these crazy Chicago winds all spring my ball gets caught up and goes nowhere

just comes down to what an individual is looking for. If you want control the 639's are much more desirable. If you struggle with elevating irons and need distance, then the p790's are a good option

Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

On 5/8/2019 at 6:48 AM, jfrigo said:

I hate the term hot spot.  LOL, such a pet peeve of mine, but I know what you meant.  The 790's are fine for medium or high speed players as long as they are high spin players.  Low spin players get those where the grooves aren't 100% clean, some grass or dew get caught and the ball rockets off the clubface.  Low spin swings and the 790's do not mesh well at all.

Being a high spin player these type of irons are a revolution for me.  Had I not purchased the 790's from a friend back in January, I would already have a set of the 699's on the way, or at least would have tried the demo 699.  As it stands I may go ahead and sell the 790's and order the 699's once I get a chance and order the demo irons.  I have a buddy that is playing the 639's and he loves them.

--

yea the 790's were a bad match for me to begin with. Im a high speed player, launch pretty high already and generally lower spin with my irons. yes the 639's are shorter but its mainly b/c weaker lofts and the heads spin more than p790's. For me I prefer the weaker loft and extra spin to lock in a yardage.

with my 790 6iron I hit it anywhere from 200 - 230. every once in a while with the 790 there's that hot spot where it just flies the ball an extra 15 yards that does me no good. When I hit the 639's I hit 10 straight shots within 8 yards of each other

and regarding flight, I can never flight down the 790's. They naturally wanna launch high so when I'm hitting in these crazy Chicago winds all spring my ball gets caught up and goes nowhere

just comes down to what an individual is looking for. If you want control the 639's are much more desirable. If you struggle with elevating irons and need distance, then the p790's are a good option

Clubs in great standing

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS - Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - UST Mamiya Black 79X
  • 5 Wood - Taylormade Sim Max - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron, Srixon ZX7 (6-9)  - Recoil 110 F5
  • Wedges - Cleveland 46, 50*, 54*, & 60* Zipcore mid bounce - Recoil 110 F5
  • Putter -  Mannkrafted MA/66 - UST Frequency Filter, LAB MEZZ.1  - BGT Stability

Clubs in good standing(fighting for one spot)....

• 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named - UST Mamiya Black 79TX | Util - Callaway Apex X Forged UTIL 21* - AD-DI | Util - Srixon ZXU 18* -  Recoil 110 F5 | Util - Callaway UW 19* - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5

Clubs that need a timeout/replacing

On 4/18/2019 at 8:52 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I'm not sure what the abuse of other companies was, or what happened.  But  I stumbled across a twitter thread by another site that asked readers to comment about  NL (I don't even want to do them the justice of spelling their name) and Sub 70.    I commented that I hadn't hit either one  But based on the comments I've seen come out of both companies in SM, I would not even consider NL, and that you couldn't even compare the two.

So just keep doing what you do.  I like to think Class, professionalism and performance all win in the end!

I've been a little out of the loop so maybe I missed the thread on here, but why the hate for NL? I've only seen their stuff, never hit any of it. Sorry if this is a diversion of the thread, but I imagine your thoughts would ultimately help Sub70's case.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Well I finally got my hands on the 639 yesterday. My buddy bought a set and we played together. His specs are significantly different from mine but I got enough out of a few swings to know that this is a lovely club, looks great, solid feel, has some forgiveness as well.

BTW the 2 upright made it almost impossible for me not to pull the ball.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

IMG_1834.JPG

My buddy’s 639 as we prepared to head out for league play on Tuesday

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

What shafts are in those Rev?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

What shafts are in those Rev?

Project x 6.0

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

17 hours ago, revkev said:

IMG_1834.JPG

My buddy’s 639 as we prepared to head out for league play on Tuesday

Those look pretty sweet in that Titleist bag!!! Sub70 is a company I am really going to keep an eye on 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I'd like to get some launch monitor data with my 699 demos against my M5s.  Anyone here know where I can get some time in a bay in Phoenix (live and work near the airport)?  All this talk about the 639 makes me wonder if i tried the wrong demos.  Also, if anyone here is in Phoenix and wants to try them, let me know I'll meet you at the range. 

I too want to reiterate the message of class and genuine premier service.   Jason is a class act, and even set me up with demos to fit my settings. 

Driver - Taylormade M5 10.5 (set to 9.75 deg and 1.5 open)  Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x

3 wood - TM M3 17 deg (set to 15.5 deg and 3 deg open) GD DI 7x

3 Hybrid - TM rocketballz Accra Dymatch S165, 68g, M5 flex (XS)

Irons  (4-5) - Srixon 585s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Irons (6-W) - Srixon 785s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Wedges (51, 56, 60) - Cleveland RTX4 Nippon Modus 125 Wedge Flex

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

18 hours ago, ejcrossl said:

I'd like to get some launch monitor data with my 699 demos against my M5s.  Anyone here know where I can get some time in a bay in Phoenix (live and work near the airport)?  All this talk about the 639 makes me wonder if i tried the wrong demos.  Also, if anyone here is in Phoenix and wants to try them, let me know I'll meet you at the range. 

I too want to reiterate the message of class and genuine premier service.   Jason is a class act, and even set me up with demos to fit my settings. 

Hopefully you can find somewhere to get some data on the demos you have now.  I'm sure we can get some 639s out to you too if necessary.  Glad to hear you had a good experience working with us though.

We are really happy with the way the 739s tested in the Most Wanted testing as well.  Honestly it was probably the hardest iron for us to test internally.  We were able to find some GI iron caliber players...but then you have the issue that most guys who play GI irons typically aren't the most consistent ball strikers in the world.  We thought it would compete with anything else though and we think the numbers reflect that.  The price point on those irons is fantastic and guys that are playing them would probably be much better off spending the money they save on lessons or range time.

On 5/30/2019 at 4:29 PM, GolfSub70 said:

Hopefully you can find somewhere to get some data on the demos you have now.  I'm sure we can get some 639s out to you too if necessary.  Glad to hear you had a good experience working with us though.

We are really happy with the way the 739s tested in the Most Wanted testing as well.  Honestly it was probably the hardest iron for us to test internally.  We were able to find some GI iron caliber players...but then you have the issue that most guys who play GI irons typically aren't the most consistent ball strikers in the world.  We thought it would compete with anything else though and we think the numbers reflect that.  The price point on those irons is fantastic and guys that are playing them would probably be much better off spending the money they save on lessons or range time.

I'd post your comparison chart from IG on here if you can.  Really interesting numbers wise to show how good they really are.  I did find a spot with GC Quad, just need to find out if I need to do an iron fitting or if they will rent out the bay (Probably about the same cost).  It's been the hardest thing for me to compare as well being a poor ball striker.  So inconstant to really get a good comparison feel.  20 or 30 balls on a GC quad will be great for finding my range.  The 699s feel really good, but I miss hit them a lot so far.  Wondering if I need xstiff due to the weight of the heads or if that would cause me to be even more inconsistent?   

Driver - Taylormade M5 10.5 (set to 9.75 deg and 1.5 open)  Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x

3 wood - TM M3 17 deg (set to 15.5 deg and 3 deg open) GD DI 7x

3 Hybrid - TM rocketballz Accra Dymatch S165, 68g, M5 flex (XS)

Irons  (4-5) - Srixon 585s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Irons (6-W) - Srixon 785s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Wedges (51, 56, 60) - Cleveland RTX4 Nippon Modus 125 Wedge Flex

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

D72RFMnXUAEKX6x.png:large

Here is the information that we shared on social media.  A few important notes...

I randomly picked a variety of other clubs for comparison.  There's no rhyme or reason for why anyone is or isn't included.

We have never made any claims that our clubs are "better" than someone else's.  We think that the Sub 70 products perform similar to anything else out there though.  

On 5/17/2019 at 10:05 PM, chemclub said:

I've been a little out of the loop so maybe I missed the thread on here, but why the hate for NL? I've only seen their stuff, never hit any of it. Sorry if this is a diversion of the thread, but I imagine your thoughts would ultimately help Sub70's case.

Sorry, I missed this earlier.

My impression of and comments about NL are strictly based on the attitude I see posted on Twitter from the main account, which I can only assume is the owner.   Just seems to be a very combative and defensive attitude about their product.  Not really the type of company I would take a chance on investing my money on their product. 

On the flip-side, I've only seen positive, genuine and helpful posts from Sub 70.  The kind interaction that makes me want to buy a set of irons from them, even though another set is the last thing I need right now...ha

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12