Sluggo42

Sub70 golf

42 minutes ago, GolfSub70 said:

Hah, thank you.  That's amazing that you've held onto the PE2's for that long!  Based on the G400 fitting I would probably recommend the 699s or possibly the 739s.  Both offer a little more forgiveness and great ball speed.  The 699s are the hollow bodied gel injected heads.  I personally play the 639 CBs but the 699s are really, really fun to hit.  The best person to ask would probably be our owner Jason though...he's great to work with and is more in tune with the fitting process than I am.  You can always contact him at Jason@GolfSub70.com and I'm sure he'll respond asap.  We do have a 60 day guarantee so if you order a set and they don't work out, you just send them back and get refunded or we can make adjustments and get them back to you.

I'll contact Jason. Loving the 60 day guarantee - speaks volumes as to the companies confidence in their products! Thanks.

• Like 1

Yea, i didn’t even think about that when i ordered my wedge set. I need wedges, and I’m betting these are gunna be great. Oh, and for a whole lot less money...

it would be cool for sub70 to send some wedges to rick sheils so he could post one of his videos on them, with nuumbiers and spin data for us to see

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Yea, i didn’t even think about that when i ordered my wedge set. I need wedges, and I’m betting these are gunna be great. Oh, and for a whole lot less money...

it would be cool for sub70 to send some wedges to rick sheils so he could post one of his videos on them, with nuumbiers and spin data for us to see

We're definitely willing to get equipment out to anyone that wants to do testing.  I know we sent a number of different products over to MGS and I'm those results will come out whenever they are done with all of their testing.  There will definitely be more feedback, reviews, etc. coming out soon.  Thanks again for the interest!

• Like 7

So is this the same sub70 that does clothing?  If so I won an outfit from you a number of years back through MGS.  I still wear the hat, frequently - people are always curious when I do - I actually have to explain it to them. 

Best of luck - I will be sure to check out your products as need arises.  Lots of people on this site love being a bit different - I'm one of those - I will be looking at irons this year which will in turn cause me to evaluate hybrid(s).  I will certainly keep you in the mix. 

• Like 4

@GolfSub70 is that leaf on the bottom of the sycamore putters a blatant appeal to Canadians? If so, it is working.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, revkev said:

So is this the same sub70 that does clothing?  If so I won an outfit from you a number of years back through MGS.  I still wear the hat, frequently - people are always curious when I do - I actually have to explain it to them. 

Long story but we are actually separate companies.  There is a different company/team that does offer "Sub 70" clothing and some other items.  We do not sell clothing or other soft goods.  We'll be strictly clubs, bags, towels and gloves. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, chemclub said:

@GolfSub70 is that leaf on the bottom of the sycamore putters a blatant appeal to Canadians? If so, it is working.

It's a nod to our hometown, Sycamore, Illinois, but certainly could work as a maple leaf haha!

• Like 3

Pretty stunning looking wedges. Also like the look of your woods.

Are you guys willing to sell just the heads?

• Like 1

Was doing my next round of testing and looked in the warmup bag and what do I see a sub 70
639 CB and 699 7 irons. Have them a go and I was impressed. I preferred the CB over the blade. Both were nice but I felt like I was more accurate and longer with the CB. Didn’t have launch monitor dots on the 699 but based on trajectory it seemed to launch a bit higher. Will be interested to see how they perform in a full test.

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, chemclub said:

Been wondering the same thing.

1 hour ago, chemclub said:

We are not selling individual heads at this time.  Thank you for the interest though!

19 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Please do- although I’m guessing you can’t say much at thIs point. I’d be quite interested in the 699 iron, it’s their version of the p790, i500, pig and the like...

ill find out about the wedges soon, although I’m guessing they’re going to quite nice, especially with my smacwrap shafts and Forged heads. But, they’re wedges so it’s not like they’re going to feel like a pured 5 iron. The 639 CB is also a Forged head, but oddly, and the same as the wedges, Forged from DT4 stainless. I don’t know much about forging stainless, but only heard its more difficult to work with. But they tell me it’s soft.... I’ve always played Vokey, so at least I’ve got a good point of reference for comparison, but the shaft is going to eat up anything fuzzy too, so my wedges might not be a good test for “buttah” softness.

o see what you can find, and bang em!

I'm no equipment junkie (I guess this is relative, my wife would beg to differ) so may be missing something, but I don't think I've seen DT4 stainless forged irons/wedges before. What are the benefits of using that as the club material vs a more traditional (1025 carbon steel for example) that you tend to see marketed elsewhere? 

I won't be in the market for irons for hopefully a long time but would definitely consider these wedges if the reviews/demos are positive. They look great and you can't beat the cost. I really love the growth of boutique brands like this and hope this model proves successful.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

I'm no equipment junkie (I guess this is relative, my wife would beg to differ) so may be missing something, but I don't think I've seen DT4 stainless forged irons/wedges before. What are the benefits of using that as the club material vs a more traditional (1025 carbon steel for example) that you tend to see marketed elsewhere? 

I'm admittedly not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to materials...but I know that we tested a number of options, including carbon steel variations, and found the DT4 to be the best feeling + performing.  I'm sure someone else over here could offer a much better answer on that, but there was definitely a lot of testing to figure out which material would work best for what we wanted to do

• Like 1

Was doing my next round of testing and looked in the warmup bag and what do I see a sub 70
639 CB and 699 7 irons. Have them a go and I was impressed. I preferred the CB over the blade. Both were nice but I felt like I was more accurate and longer with the CB. Didn’t have launch monitor dots on the 699 but based on trajectory it seemed to launch a bit higher. Will be interested to see how they perform in a full test.

What would you compare the CB to?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What would you compare the CB to?

What aspect? If you mean feel, I am a poor judge of feel regarding irons an woods. Unless the sound is really unique everything seems the same to me and I really can’t tell the difference between forged and cast. With the half dozen or so swings I took with each I would say they were a solid feeling club. One the couple of offcenter hits, they still felt solid. They weren’t harsh feeling but not super soft like the srixon or callaway. I think the shaft was dynamic gold so feel will also be impacted by shaft

I go again tomorrow for more putter testing. The 2 simulators are pretty busy with driver testing, but I will try to sneak in and see if I can do a better comparison.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

What aspect? If you mean feel, I am a poor judge of feel regarding irons an woods. Unless the sound is really unique everything seems the same to me and I really can’t tell the difference between forged and cast. With the half dozen or so swings I took with each I would say they were a solid feeling club. One the couple of offcenter hits, they still felt solid. They weren’t harsh feeling but not super soft like the srixon or callaway. I think the shaft was dynamic gold so feel will also be impacted by shaft

I go again tomorrow for more putter testing. The 2 simulators are pretty busy with driver testing, but I will try to sneak in and see if I can do a better comparison.

I think that you and I are similar in this regard so I was more after performance and look.  I'm not a big "feel" guy.  I can tell when I've hit the sweet spot or where I misshit the thing when I do - that's really all the feel that I need.  I can also tell by the sound when I'm really striping it but that sound has seemed consistent for every iron I've ever gamed - there's a distinct click followed by the thud of the ground that produces a nice shallow divot when my irons are being well struck.   

I currently game the Ping G30 - they launch the ball very high and have a wide platform in the 6 and 7 iron.  I love those clubs but the Wedge and 9 iron are boxy to my eye - I could do without that.  How boxy did the 9 iron look (if you hit it or looked at it?)  How was the sole plate of the 7 iron compared to other GIs that you've hit.  How about the launch? 

Thanks

• Like 3

I got on their website last night and put together a set of irons and wedges. It took all the willpower I had not to buy. They look so dang good.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

I think that you and I are similar in this regard so I was more after performance and look.  I'm not a big "feel" guy.  I can tell when I've hit the sweet spot or where I misshit the thing when I do - that's really all the feel that I need.  I can also tell by the sound when I'm really striping it but that sound has seemed consistent for every iron I've ever gamed - there's a distinct click followed by the thud of the ground that produces a nice shallow divot when my irons are being well struck.   

I currently game the Ping G30 - they launch the ball very high and have a wide platform in the 6 and 7 iron.  I love those clubs but the Wedge and 9 iron are boxy to my eye - I could do without that.  How boxy did the 9 iron look (if you hit it or looked at it?)  How was the sole plate of the 7 iron compared to other GIs that you've hit.  How about the launch? 
Thanks

They are pretty narrow soles, similar to the most GI type iirons, probably leaning toward the players category. High launch is what I do as well and based on simulated trajectory these were close to my normal trajectory. The bag I pulled them from only had the 7 irons. I’ll try to get some pictures next to some of the other 7 irons that are in the warmup bag and post them tomorrow evening.
  • Like 5