Jump to content

Sub70 golf


Sluggo42

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Samsonite said:

I had a chat session with the Sub-70 customer support last week, asking about the differences between the CB/TC, and it was my understanding that the CB would definitely be the "easier" of the two to hit - more forgiving, more along the lines of a club that would suit someone like me (improving, but not improved, so to speak).  

Is that either/both of your ( @edingc and @mikeanthony) impressions as well? The added tungsten seems to me to be "help", and would typically be in a longer iron, no?  (as in the P790 having the speed slot in the longer irons but not the short ones?)  Or is the CB just build with the forgiveness baked in, whereas the TC they drill out and add some tungsten? 

Curious what the main difference in feel would be between the two, if any, and/or difference in forgiveness.

Either way - I think I'm definitely going to need to demo the CBs - they're just stunning, and it'll give me a pretty clear sense of whether or not they'd be worth the upgrade from my GI set.

In the 659 line - from easier to harder to hit - it's the CBs, TCs, then MBs. The lofts across all three iron heads are the same throughout, with the only real change coming in offset and forgiveness as you move through each set. 

As for the tungsten inserts, you'll generally see those in the scoring irons from 7i (some may argue it should be 8i now) on down to PW/GW.

A popular miss across all handicap indexes and swing types is ball contact towards the toe of the club ... and with the scoring irons beginning to generally get progressively smaller as you move down the set, the tungsten insert is provided to keep some weight & forgiveness in the toe and to prevent the club from twisting (backwards) upon contact on the toe. 

The reason one won't see tungsten inserts in the longer irons (generally speaking), such as 6i and upwards, is because the iron heads are longer/larger, and additionally to keep the iron head weight lighter ... so that one can swing harder. Not always the same reasoning from manufacturer to manufacturer, but it is the general premise. 

But going from a GI to a cavity back/smaller profile iron would be the next step in one's game ... but not always. At the end of the day, to each their own, and as Cody said, best of luck on your pursuit. I'll add this, KJ Choi was known to game PING G400 irons when he was on the Tour and consistently finding himself on the first page of the leaderboard at events he entered.  

  • Like 4

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.251dbf28e16167e1ca40855a93ec5a2d.png  659 CB (5i-6i) 659 TC (7i-PW)

Wedges: :ping-small:  Glide 3.0 50* image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & :Snell: MTB-Black

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, mikeanthony said:

In the 659 line - from easier to harder to hit - it's the CBs, TCs, then MBs. The lofts across all three iron heads are the same throughout, with the only real change coming in offset and forgiveness as you move through each set. 

As for the tungsten inserts, you'll generally see those in the scoring irons from 7i (some may argue it should be 8i now) on down to PW/GW.

A popular miss across all handicap indexes and swing types is ball contact towards the toe of the club ... and with the scoring irons beginning to generally get progressively smaller as you move down the set, the tungsten insert is provided to keep some weight & forgiveness in the toe and to prevent the club from twisting (backwards) upon contact on the toe. 

The reason one won't see tungsten inserts in the longer irons (generally speaking), such as 6i and upwards, is because the iron heads are longer/larger, and additionally to keep the iron head weight lighter ... so that one can swing harder. Not always the same reasoning from manufacturer to manufacturer, but it is the general premise. 

But going from a GI to a cavity back/smaller profile iron would be the next step in one's game ... but not always. At the end of the day, to each their own, and as Cody said, best of luck on your pursuit. I'll add this, KJ Choi was known to game PING G400 irons when he was on the Tour and consistently finding himself on the first page of the leaderboard at events he entered.  

Awesome explanation - thank you! I might have to sell the stuff I'm not using anymore (I mean, I should anyway) and see how much I can get for it to put towards some new gamers.  Assuming it's a love affair, I can always offload my current gamers afterward and call it square (ish).  🙂

  • Like 4

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees, EvenFlow Riptide CB 40g 4.0
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - :cobra-small: King Utility - 2 Iron
Irons (4-PW) - :taylormade-small:- SIM Max, Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff
Wedges (52, 56, 60) - Kirkland Signature (changed to midsize grips) 
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Snell MTB Black/Vice Pro Plus

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

Awesome explanation - thank you! I might have to sell the stuff I'm not using anymore (I mean, I should anyway) and see how much I can get for it to put towards some new gamers.  Assuming it's a love affair, I can always offload my current gamers afterward and call it square (ish).  🙂

With Sub70's pricing, you really can. I have an active listing for my G425 irons on eBay and with 22hrs remaining, the current bid is $680. 

  • Like 4

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.251dbf28e16167e1ca40855a93ec5a2d.png  659 CB (5i-6i) 659 TC (7i-PW)

Wedges: :ping-small:  Glide 3.0 50* image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & :Snell: MTB-Black

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mikeanthony said:

With Sub70's pricing, you really can. I have an active listing for my G425 irons on eBay and with 22hrs remaining, the current bid is $680. 

That's awesome.  I wouldn't expect nearly as much for my Sim Max irons from 2020, but even a few hundred would soften any blow.  I also have an Garmin G80 approach that I bought at the start of the pandemic that I've barely used - hopefully that together with the clubs would cover most of the way to a new set. Also, I've got at LEAST two kidneys and apparently you only need, like, one? I don't know - we'll see what I can score for that 😉

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees, EvenFlow Riptide CB 40g 4.0
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - :cobra-small: King Utility - 2 Iron
Irons (4-PW) - :taylormade-small:- SIM Max, Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff
Wedges (52, 56, 60) - Kirkland Signature (changed to midsize grips) 
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Snell MTB Black/Vice Pro Plus

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thought I’d drop this in here as well … 

37” shaft, 2° upright and 1° weaker loft (I fwd press on my putts) 

 

CF20E717-2E91-4AC1-9E40-936AA3B0EA36.jpeg

C8AFB482-BF8C-4785-AC5D-30DBE7042D00.jpeg

3BB0D126-5877-4BEE-974F-4AD5D64B9543.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.251dbf28e16167e1ca40855a93ec5a2d.png  659 CB (5i-6i) 659 TC (7i-PW)

Wedges: :ping-small:  Glide 3.0 50* image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & :Snell: MTB-Black

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mikeanthony said:

Thought I’d drop this in here as well … 

37” shaft, 2° upright and 1° weaker loft (I fwd press on my putts) 

 

CF20E717-2E91-4AC1-9E40-936AA3B0EA36.jpeg

C8AFB482-BF8C-4785-AC5D-30DBE7042D00.jpeg

3BB0D126-5877-4BEE-974F-4AD5D64B9543.jpeg

Looks so good. Let us know how it feels. Given the price point I am tempted to get it let the Sub70 and the Evnroll battle it out for supremacy.

  • Like 2

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 & 5 woods

:Sub70: 939X 4H

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with KBS Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:Sub70: 286 Wedge (50 degrees)

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 (56 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

:nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2022 at 9:33 AM, Hobert said:

Looks so good. Let us know how it feels. Given the price point I am tempted to get it let the Sub70 and the Evnroll battle it out for supremacy.

 

After three full days of putting on practice greens, I can say I'm extremely impressed with this putter and look fwd to getting a round in soon. Honestly, I'm over the moon happy.

Right off the bat, I immediately noticed my enhanced comfort in setting up over the ball to putt ... hand position, posture, everything, just felt much more natural. And much more confident, too  

Secondly, I've always been more a blade styled putter and had the Rossie way back in h/s when it was introduced ... the size of this putter is just right for my eye and preference.

Lastly, my putting has always been a strong suit (avg just over 30 putts a round) and have always been a 'die in the hole' type of putter ... with my biggest fault at times is leaving putts just a hair short. Between the added weight in the head (from what I'm used to) and the extra 2" (over a standard 35" length) I can still maintain the same putting tempo, but the pendulum stroke on the follow through really assists me in getting the ball to the hole.

Putters, IMO, are very subjective and feel based … and for me, I think it’s the custom specs that have really made the difference. 

I’ll also add that I’ve always preferred putters with a nice tactile click on contact, not too big of a fan of soft, mushy faced putters … this has a nice audible click to upon contact. 
 

  • Like 3

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.251dbf28e16167e1ca40855a93ec5a2d.png  659 CB (5i-6i) 659 TC (7i-PW)

Wedges: :ping-small:  Glide 3.0 50* image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & :Snell: MTB-Black

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2022 at 7:27 AM, mikeanthony said:

Thought I’d drop this in here as well … 

37” shaft, 2° upright and 1° weaker loft (I fwd press on my putts) 

 

CF20E717-2E91-4AC1-9E40-936AA3B0EA36.jpeg

C8AFB482-BF8C-4785-AC5D-30DBE7042D00.jpeg

3BB0D126-5877-4BEE-974F-4AD5D64B9543.jpeg

That's a great looking flat stick Mike!  The more I see of Sub70, the further up the list they climb.

  • Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2022 at 2:15 PM, mikeanthony said:

Here’s some closeups of the 9i … it really is a beautiful club. 

At the last photo of the club at address, you’ll see the inward notch I’m referencing. 

A0A348BE-8179-4F66-A048-B9E40C20D712.jpeg

C883FEA0-FEBA-441C-B0B6-1BF976E86F23.jpeg

6B03932F-1F80-4498-8350-A3703E0B1892.jpeg

19909419-E0A6-4955-AD5B-24423009C92C.jpeg

Great looking for sure but I'm trying to understand the sole texture.  It looks like a positive drag coefficient. Don't laugh. Remember I spent my entire career in aerospace 😊.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/3/2022 at 4:34 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Great looking for sure but I'm trying to understand the sole texture.  It looks like a positive drag coefficient. Don't laugh. Remember I spent my entire career in aerospace 😊.

Or more like, tight-lies grass slicer. And I believe you should def be familiar with it on your Srixons. 😉

The TCs FINALLY had their maiden voyage today … there will be an adjustment period, but impressed thus far. 

But for me, the putter won the day. My lag putting was phenomenal, and burned the edges of the cup 3 times overall today. Can confidently say the putter is easily the best golf purchase I’ve made in a long time. 

  • Like 1

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.251dbf28e16167e1ca40855a93ec5a2d.png  659 CB (5i-6i) 659 TC (7i-PW)

Wedges: :ping-small:  Glide 3.0 50* image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & :Snell: MTB-Black

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2022 at 6:49 PM, glenmore5 said:

Like the look of the putter..not sure I am a fan of the mallet head though ?

I picked up a FN001 from Sub 70 a few weeks ago and have never putted better. I had the 004 Fang style from Sub 70 and they are battling for bag supremacy now. Can't go wrong with Sub 70 for price, quality, and customer service

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, tschott said:

I picked up a FN001 from Sub 70 a few weeks ago and have never putted better. I had the 004 Fang style from Sub 70 and they are battling for bag supremacy now. Can't go wrong with Sub 70 for price, quality, and customer service

Would love to see some photos if you have time to post them sometime!!

  • Like 4

 ⛳🛄 as of Oct 31, 2022 (Past WITB
Driver:   TBD: Follow here: Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: King SZ 3 wood 15.5*

               :ping-small: G410 Crossover - 4 iron or others....

Irons:     :Sub70: Sub70 659 TC Raw 5-Aw w/ KBS Tour 90 Stiff Black PVD

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:     :taylormade-small:/:titleist-small: (currently testing)

Other:     :Arccos: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

Update, while I liked the 659CBs I ultimately returned them and went with some Apex Pro 21s via pre-owned.  Numbers were great on sim, but turf interaction was not what I wanted out in the real world.  Picked up a couple of the JB wedges in black and absolutely love those so far, wish it had worked out with the 659s and still an amazing company to work with, return process could not have been easier.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am looking to switch to graphite shafts in my irons to see if it will help with my tendonitus.  I tend to lean towards thicker soled irons, so I am going to demo the 799's and the 699u/699 combo irons next week.

  • Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone Xtreme @ 9*
Mini Driver: :taylormade-small: Original One @ 13.5*
Fairway: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5 Wood @ 17*
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 4 Hybrid @ 22*

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 5-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 54* & 58* 
Putter: :ping-small: Heppler Fetch
Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just placed the order for my demo clubs. I live about 4 hours from the sub 70 HQ, so hopefully I will have th when I get home on Friday.

  • Like 2

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone Xtreme @ 9*
Mini Driver: :taylormade-small: Original One @ 13.5*
Fairway: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5 Wood @ 17*
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 4 Hybrid @ 22*

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 5-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 54* & 58* 
Putter: :ping-small: Heppler Fetch
Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...