TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sub70 golf

Sluggo42

So here’s a few picks of the raw wedges after 4 rounds now. 

C9285575-7FB3-41A7-A194-0EDD30C1994A.jpeg.e67026909f0d6dc10d6e8a82f074c5c4.jpeg

and the udder side...DAA1C2B7-2289-42DE-A23D-9236533C6DFB.jpeg.9421a466bd11c5e00b516db171d15c3d.jpeg

good spin from these...

BAE2893A-BEEF-4EB7-9610-9DBB0591F7F2.jpeg.4beb7f9718411a4e34b81ff272a7d49e.jpeg

two rounds have have been in the rain, and I’m an early bird, so it’s always wet -so that might be an accelerating factor...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

9 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

So here’s a few picks of the raw wedges after 4 rounds now. 

Thanks for sharing!  I tell everyone that asks about the raw finish that it's not for everyone...but it's a great option and I've really warmed up to the look.  It's fun to see them develop that patina.  We had a guy that sprayed them on purpose to accelerate the rusting process.  Hopefully they are performing well for you too!

11 hours ago, GolfSub70 said:

Thanks for sharing!  I tell everyone that asks about the raw finish that it's not for everyone...but it's a great option and I've really warmed up to the look.  It's fun to see them develop that patina.  We had a guy that sprayed them on purpose to accelerate the rusting process.  Hopefully they are performing well for you too!

So far so good- only 4 rounds in, but, spin is awesome!

Every time I see those 639’s, I want some

That club is gorgeous. Love to no medallion/badge look. So clean.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

13 hours ago, cnosil said:

Got to try the 739 irons today as part of the Game Improvement Iron Most Wanted category.  Was in my group of 7 irons today and I still have the 5 and PW to go.   Overall performance was equivalent to anything I have tested in this group so far. I didn't get any specific numbers but ball speed and launch were good.  My only problem was that I had a tendency to hit a high fade with the test clubs.  This wasn't the case with other clubs I was testing.   Anyone looking for a game improvement iron should take a look at the 739 series.  

Thanks for the info!  Glad to hear the iron testing has started already.  I know the guys at MGS are hoping to get more of their testing and results out earlier this year.  I bet a different shaft would lower the flight and straighten out that fade with the 739s 😉

For you guys that have demoed/played/seen these irons, what is the offset like? According to the spec numbers on their website (which don't provide units, so I have to assume are measured in milimetres), the offsets are the same or higher than my current set of Callaway Steelhead's, (which are a GI iron with strong offset). The 599 have the least offset but the 639 have even more offset than the Callaways. 

Has this affected the flight of the ball for anyone? I was kind of under the impression these are supposed to be more of a playerish type of iron, but with that amount of offset I am going to have a hard time keeping them out of the left rough (yes obviously I need to test them). Just wondering if a) these numbers/units are correct and b) if anybody else has noticed/has an issue with the extreme offset in these clubs. Thanks guys.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I'm just dying to see THESE in real life... They just LOOK like a buttery-soft, penetrating-flight, monster that I can't wait to hit. Pretty sure Sub70 said these would be hitting the market late spring, early summer...

So perfect... Clean, yet techie... No excess badging... Just nailed it in the looks department. Now, will they be available in black? Screenshot_20190303-144129_Instagram.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:odyssey-small: Tri-Hot #3 (2002) Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 Grip

:titelist-small: AVX Balls  +  :wilson-small: Exo Bag  +  :footjoy-small: shoes

1 hour ago, newballcoach said:

For you guys that have demoed/played/seen these irons, what is the offset like? According to the spec numbers on their website (which don't provide units, so I have to assume are measured in milimetres), the offsets are the same or higher than my current set of Callaway Steelhead's, (which are a GI iron with strong offset). The 599 have the least offset but the 639 have even more offset than the Callaways. 

Has this affected the flight of the ball for anyone? I was kind of under the impression these are supposed to be more of a playerish type of iron, but with that amount of offset I am going to have a hard time keeping them out of the left rough (yes obviously I need to test them). Just wondering if a) these numbers/units are correct and b) if anybody else has noticed/has an issue with the extreme offset in these clubs. Thanks guys.

Hey thanks for the post.  That is correct that they are listed in millimeters on our website...the 639 and 739 pages have it listed as "Offset (mm)" but for some reason it's not in the 699 table.  We'll get that "(mm)" added on the 699 page.  It looks like Callaway uses inches but it should be a pretty easy conversion.  Regarding the offsets themselves, it looks like some sort of typo/clerical mistake may have been made when they were added to the pages.  I'm working on getting the correct figures and will make sure it gets fixed on the site.  Not exactly sure how that happened as I know it was correct previously...

57 minutes ago, Waazzupppp said:

I'm just dying to see THESE in real life... They just LOOK like a buttery-soft, penetrating-flight, monster that I can't wait to hit. Pretty sure Sub70 said these would be hitting the market late spring, early summer...

So perfect... Clean, yet techie... No excess badging... Just nailed it in the looks department. Now, will they be available in black? emoji16.pngScreenshot_20190303-144129_Instagram.jpeg

That is correct that they should be available by early Summer at the latest. No black finish for the irons yet, but it's definitely something we hope to offer in the future.

That is correct that they should be available by early Summer at the latest. No black finish for the irons yet, but it's definitely something we hope to offer in the future.
Can't wait! Make sure to keep us posted!!! These Instagram teases are brutal!

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:odyssey-small: Tri-Hot #3 (2002) Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 Grip

:titelist-small: AVX Balls  +  :wilson-small: Exo Bag  +  :footjoy-small: shoes

27 minutes ago, GolfSub70 said:

Hey thanks for the post.  That is correct that they are listed in millimeters on our website...the 639 and 739 pages have it listed as "Offset (mm)" but for some reason it's not in the 699 table.  We'll get that "(mm)" added on the 699 page.  It looks like Callaway uses inches but it should be a pretty easy conversion.  Regarding the offsets themselves, it looks like some sort of typo/clerical mistake may have been made when they were added to the pages.  I'm working on getting the correct figures and will make sure it gets fixed on the site.  Not exactly sure how that happened as I know it was correct previously...

I kind of assumed this was a mistake, from the photos I have seen the offset does not seem that extreme. However, I do believe that you noted earlier in this thread that it is difficult to take a good photo of the offset in an iron. Thanks for looking into this. I am hoping to be able to demo the 699's this summer.

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

14 minutes ago, newballcoach said:

I kind of assumed this was a mistake, from the photos I have seen the offset does not seem that extreme. However, I do believe that you noted earlier in this thread that it is difficult to take a good photo of the offset in an iron. Thanks for looking into this. I am hoping to be able to demo the 699's this summer.

Yeah it's really bizarre...especially since I cross checked those tables to make sure they were correct about 6 weeks ago. We'll get them squared away. Thanks again for pointing that out. I can get "above view" pictures of the 639 CBs at address if you are interested but unfortunately I don't have the 699s or 739s with me at the moment.  

Thanks for the info!  Glad to hear the iron testing has started already.  I know the guys at MGS are hoping to get more of their testing and results out earlier this year.  I bet a different shaft would lower the flight and straighten out that fade with the 739s 

I agree, pretty sure it is a shaft issue or swing weighting. Fitting is important! During testing I don’t pay attention to the shafts or setups so I can’t even tell you what shaft they have. My goal is to try and provide a consistent swing across all the clubs without any bias. It probably wasn’t that bad of a ball flight, just looks like it on a launch monitor. It was just noticeably different than the other clubs I was testing but the flight was consistent from shot to shot.

Ultimately it is my belief that it is a quality club, a good value, and holds its own against the name brand clubs.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I agree, pretty sure it is a shaft issue or swing weighting. Fitting is important! During testing I don’t pay attention to the shafts or setups so I can’t even tell you what shaft they have. My goal is to try and provide a consistent swing across all the clubs without any bias. It probably wasn’t that bad of a ball flight, just looks like it on a launch monitor. It was just noticeably different than the other clubs I was testing but the flight was consistent from shot to shot.

Ultimately it is my belief that it is a quality club, a good value, and holds its own against the name brand clubs.

I would assume the 639 and 699 irons are also in the testing? Players irons and players distance maybe? 

MGS listed the clubs they need to buy from the manufacturers that did not participate, but they don't list the clubs they got from the companies that do. It would be nice to see which set of irons/putters,etc. were sent in, since most OEM's don't send in the entire line.

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I would assume the 639 and 699 irons are also in the testing? Players irons and players distance maybe? 
MGS listed the clubs they need to buy from the manufacturers that did not participate, but they don't list the clubs they got from the companies that do. It would be nice to see which set of irons/putters,etc. were sent in, since most OEM's don't send in the entire line.

I don’t know everything that was provided by the manufacturers unless I ask or by looking through the lineup of clubs that are laying around. Since players and players distance testing hasn’t started, They are still in the storage area. I mostly look at the putters so I have a pretty good idea of what has been provided in that area.

Generally manufacturers send stuff from their new line. Some send more others send less, they work with Sam to figure it out. Manufacturers release schedules and MGS deadlines also influence what can be in the testing.

The Sub70 person that posts can probably answer the question on what was provided better than I can.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The 699 and 639 irons were submitted.  My understanding is that we also submitted fairway woods, hybrids and wedges.  Not sure on putters.  We're definitely looking forward to the upcoming results and think that given the right specs/shafts the clubs perform similarly to anything else out there.

6 hours ago, GolfSub70 said:

The 699 and 639 irons were submitted.  My understanding is that we also submitted fairway woods, hybrids and wedges.  Not sure on putters.  We're definitely looking forward to the upcoming results and think that given the right specs/shafts the clubs perform similarly to anything else out there.

I am pretty familiar with the putters in the test and there weren't any sub70 putters.

My wedges were really nice today as I’m getting more used to them.

really nice...

After 8 rounds now... awesome stix...

F2719B83-0DA1-4067-AF77-392F606989A6.jpeg.6b40271219f307c0a1cdd3e7f2b72aae.jpegA4AFF96F-71BB-469D-A9F9-EE9C12BBBD59.jpeg.d8e330807e41389423df0dc59de93000.jpeg

11 hours ago, GolfSub70 said:

Happy to hear you are liking them.  Your "after 8 rounds" comment made me want to throw my bag on my back and start walking south though.

Any time Sub 70 - Florida is always open. 🙂

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

639 CB 7 iron....

One word: wow.

I got to hit balls at the range and the club was great! Great feel, consistency, FORGIVENESS, and nice flight window! Really nice! I was shocked at how forgiving they are, and I was hitting center-of-face 90% of the time. Really nice. I just kept saying to myself, “Dang, this club is straight!”

I emailed Jason and told him that at address, the offset, and shape of the club remind me a lot of the MacGregor VIP 7 iron blade I have!

These ones:

IMG_8320.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX